• Show
Clear All

• Rangers to get 16 Strykers

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f...925-669719.php

February 18, 2005

Ranger regiment in Afghanistan to get 16 Strykers

By Sean D. Naylor
    Times staff writer

The Army is giving 16 Stryker vehicles to the 75th Ranger Regiment for use in Afghanistan later this year. This is the first time that the medium-weight, wheeled armored vehicle has been fielded to a unit other than one of the six formations designated to become “Stryker Brigade Combat Teams,” or SBCTs.
    The Stryker has been used extensively in Iraq, but the Rangers’ deployment to Afghanistan will mark the first occasion that the Stryker has seen action in that country.

The 75th Ranger Regiment is the Army’s most elite airborne infantry outfit. It is headquartered at Fort Benning, Ga., and its three battalions are stationed at Fort Benning, Hunter Army Airfield, Ga., and Fort Lewis, Wash.

“The Rangers have been looking to upgrade for some time and now, during the war, is a great opportunity,” said a senior special operations officer. “I don’t see it as a mission change, just another tool to prosecute the mission from a protected, versatile mobility platform.” The Rangers have seen the value of the Stryker in urban operations when working side-by-side with Stryker units in Iraq, the officer said.

In a brief interview on Feb. 18 at the Association of the U.S. Army winter symposium in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Gen. Bryan Brown, head of U.S. Special Operations Command, emphasized that the initiative did not reflect a larger shift toward armored vehicle operations on the part of the Rangers. No decision on whether to expand the initiative beyond the initial 16 Strykers would be taken before 2/75 returned from Afghanistan and the command had a chance to evaluate the lessons learned from the deployment, he said.

Despite the sudden demand for 16 of the vehicles for the Rangers, the Army plans to keep all other units on schedule to receive their Strykers, although it’s not clear how exactly that will be accomplished.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Sacrelidge.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
      Sacrelidge.
      Strykers Lead the Way!

I wish we had Strykers during the Florida phase. I was tired of walking by then!
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by shek
        Strykers Lead the Way!

I wish we had Strykers during the Florida phase. I was tired of walking by then!
        Florida? The Rangers invaded Florida? Why didn't they send all the Northern blue hairs back where they came from?
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

"Strykers Lead the Way!"

And that's double blasphemy...

I take it you were tabbed shek?

Comment

Other than Evac under heavy enemy fire I still don't see how any armored vehicle would fit the Ranger's wants or needs. I like the Styker but for the Rangers? WTF?

Comment

"Strykers Lead the Way!"

And that's double blasphemy...

I take it you were tabbed shek?
              Got my tab in '97. I didn't know it could hurt so much walking on flat ground (Florida phase). I haven't served in the Regiment, though.

I'm sure they've got their reasons for getting the Strykers, and that they are being used for specific missions only. There were a couple of COs and PLs that moved down the street from either 1/25 ID (SBCT) or 3/2 ID (SBCT) to 2/75 RGR, so they've got the knowledge in house already on some of the Stryker employment TTPs.

RLTW!
              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

This was after the Tillman thingy and these vehicles it seems might only be for use in Afghanistan as a quick fix.

I also don't see how to use them seeing as one could not drop them from a C-130 with the Rangers. It's a quick fix and better for patrol then a Humvee.
                To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

So they'd have preferred to shoot tillman with a Stryker mounted .50 cal rather than one mounted on a HUMVEE like they did?

That whole incident is still unbelieveable to me, but i've actually seen that happen myself once(a squad in an elevated position in a building took a squad at ground level in the street under fire. They exchanged a good couple dozen rounds before they realized what was happening, thank god no one got hit).

If both you and your opponent are slinging red tracers, and the enemy is known to use only green WP tracers...something is amiss.

It's a good idea to cease fire at that point.

Comment

So they'd have preferred to shoot tillman with a Stryker mounted .50 cal rather than one mounted on a HUMVEE like they did?

That whole incident is still unbelieveable to me, but i've actually seen that happen myself once(a squad in an elevated position in a building took a squad at ground level in the street under fire. They exchanged a good couple dozen rounds before they realized what was happening, thank god no one got hit).

If both you and your opponent are slinging red tracers, and the enemy is known to use only green WP tracers...something is amiss.

It's a good idea to cease fire at that point.
                    I was very surprised to see fratricide as the cause in Tillman's death. All my NCOs from Ranger Regiment when I was a rifle PL were strong on fire commands, which usually is a skill associated only with mounted gunnery and your good weapons squads, not fire TLs and rifle SLs. I think it demonstrates the importance of training and the need to continue training SOPs and fundamentals, even taking the time during extended real world deployments to ensure that your foundation of skills remains solid.

Comment

Training is extremely important.

"More sweat in training, less blood in combat"
                      ~Sign outside Barracks, C-1-50, Sand Hill, Fort Benning Georgia.

Comment

"So they'd have preferred to shoot tillman with a Stryker mounted .50 cal rather than one mounted on a HUMVEE like they did?"

Well who knows could keep out the bullets. I guess this is to provide some sort of temp fix for armored needs. Granted they can't jump out of C-130s with it. It could provide better support for convoy and road patrol work then a Humvee. It could keep out IEDs and PKM fire better then a Humvee although RPG-7 fire still would pose a threat...

"That whole incident is still unbelieveable to me, but i've actually seen that happen myself once(a squad in an elevated position in a building took a squad at ground level in the street under fire. They exchanged a good couple dozen rounds before they realized what was happening, thank god no one got hit). If both you and your opponent are slinging red tracers, and the enemy is known to use only green WP tracers...something is amiss. It's a good idea to cease fire at that point."

I could tell a worse story if anyone wants to hear it...

Comment

Sure.

Comment

Background...

In 1975 Indonesia moved to take over East Timor. They were forced to throw together an invasion force from different units from different branchs (Kopassus, Kostrad (strategic reserve), Kopasgat (AF SF) Marines and so forth). They scrounge up enough lift to drop in 1 battalion and some commandos with each drop. There are a couple of thousand Fretilin soldiers well armed with G-3 rifles.

They move with a massive airborne (Kopassus commandos, Kopasgat, and Kostrad paras) and a sea borne attack by the Marines. During the 1965 some of these units had been lined up againist each other in fact. Even within the Kostrad Airborne Regiment assinged to the operation had not trained as a full unit (from fighting mostly COIN conflicts) and one battalion was recently assigned (to replace one not ready) for the operation and had a bad rep from 1965. The commander of the airborne unit from Kopassus was actually outranked by the Kostrad commander on the ground.

The Fretilin (leftish East Timorese) were defending the beaches and border. So long story short the first wave of paratroopers drops straight into a massive fight. Several planes got hit by ground fire. So by the second wave the pilots warned the paratroopers of the risk of the enemy being on the DZ.

By the time they jumped a Marine battalion arrived on the DZ to secure it with some PT-76s and BTR-50s. The Paratroopers jumped from C-130s spraying with their AK-47s and throwing grenades on the DZ as they dropped. Now the Fretilin had no air force and the Marines knew those were their countrymen on the parachutes. But some Marines got pissed off at being shot at and started to fire back with their AK-47s, DShKs and RPDs at the paratroopers.

No one got killed by this blue on blue but it shook things up (2 battalions shooting at each other) during the tense early moments.

Comment

there was a recent article showing the defects of the Stryker, have any of you guys read it?
                              for MOTHER MOLDOVA

Comment

Working...
                              X