No announcement yet.

Most Powerful Branch of US Government?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Powerful Branch of US Government?

Yes I am aware of "Checks and Balances" but do they still apply anymore?

I believe for the most part, they do. However, as time goes on, it seems that one branch can enjoy slightly more power than the others in certain circumstances. Originally the Legislative seemed the hold the most power, until the Marbury vs. Madison case. The executive branch always enjoys high prestige.

Do you feel one branch holds (slightly) more power, if so which one?
    Legislative Branch
    5.56%
    Executive Branch
    55.56%
    Judicial Branch
    33.33%
    All are completely equal
    5.56%

You forgot the unofficial branch that by far wields the most power. The lobbyist.

Officially, I would say the judicial holds the most power. Those guys can not be overruled by the other two branches and they have the power to bitch slap the other two branches when push comes to shove. The judicial and the legislative are the most active and they are always in the spotlight, but the judicial always gets the last and final say on the matter at hand.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Checks and Balances are still well in effect, IMO.

I'm inclined to say the Executive Branch may ultimately be the most powerful of them all. Because in times of national crisis, the President can increase his powers (in most cases temporarily). The people will look to the President to take action. The other two branches are weighed down with more bureaucracy.

Nebula82.
      Last edited by nebula82; 28 Sep 09,, 16:40.

Comment

I have to go with the Executive.
        One way or another, they can get their way by following the Constitution. They can override Vetoes, set the budget, introduce legislation, approve or disapprove appointments and so much more.

Comment

By far the CIA.;)
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The fed.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I think the question really is, which is the most incompetent? Now there's a thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                By far the CIA.;)
                Bullseye!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  The fed.
                  Not a branch of government, however, they do seem to be in charge!

Comment

The executive as of late seems to be, but if the house and senate joined together, I would tend to think they have a slight power majority. The Judicial branch can trump the other two, but they essentially need a reason - there has to be an argument at hand.

Legislative approval is, and has been, incredibly low. These are the ***** writing laws that have so many people angry in this country. They had less support than Bush while he was in office, so perhaps the people realize who the real bad guys are, and want change. 2010 should be interesting.

Comment

In my view of where the buck stops, it should be Judiciary, Legislative, Executive, in that order.

I'd imagine it's not though.
                      Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                      - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

The legislative makes the laws that the other two have to uphold, so in the end, they can do just about anything they like. The others can stop them temporarily stop or slow the Legislative branch, but in the end, they can win by simply changing the law or the constitution.

Comment

But what about States' rights?!!!

Hello, Tenth Amendment?

Comment

Originally posted by AdvanXer View Post
                            But what about States' rights?!!!

Hello, Tenth Amendment?
                            As part of the Constitution, it's just something else that could be amended.
                            I really don't think anyone in the House or Senate would be so stupid as to try something as vile as that, but the potential is there for any end run around the other branches.

Comment

Working...
                            X