.222/.223/.22-250/others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .222/.223/.22-250/others

I'm thinking of getting a varmint rifle soon, any hints on what rifle/ammo I should use?
    Requirements:
    1. Must be under $700, with scope
    2. Must be Bolt-action
    3. Must be under 1 MOA

I am hunting (or really shooting off my deck) groundhogs, muskrats (lots of them), and geese (I love to shoot their heads off; no, seroiusly; it's quick, painless, and clean) from 50 to 300 yards.

If you want a sub 1 MOA rifle with quality optics for under 700 bucks you'll almost definitely be getting a used rifle(not that anything is wrong with that).

.25-06 is a varmint vaporizing round, and my all around favorite. ;)

LOL

Comment

I don't care much on the optics, mybe a $100 scope will do. I'm not shooting that far.

Comment

I'd look for a nice used Rem 700. .22-250 is a barrel eater, though.
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

"I don't care much on the optics, mybe a $100 scope will do. I'm not shooting that far."

Then why does it have to be sub-MOA?

Comment

The size of the target of a muskrat is about 4x4 inches, and I'm shooting at 300 yards.

Comment

My preference is the Remmington. Winchester is good as well. Savage makes a no frills rifle that is not much to look at, but are great s*******. Savage rifles are cheaper as well so you can get a better scope with the money you save. Whichever you pick, make sure the trigger is good, or can be easily worked on or adjusted. Do not discount optics. It can be maddening when the scope will not hold a zero, has poor light transmission, or a tiny eye relief. It would be in your best interest to get M21Sniper to help you out on a scope as well.
              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

A quality rifle scope is just as important as the rifle itself.

For Varmint work you'll want high magnification. At 300 yards for a 4" x 4" target you're going to want at LEAST a 10power optic with a large objective lens(for maximum light amplification and clarity). Something along the lines of a high quality variable 4-16x50mm would be ideal. To buy it new a scope/mount/rings of that quality alone is probably going to cost $700.

And yes, you'll definitely want a 1 MOA weapon if you're hunting four square inch critters at 300 meters(a 1 moa weapon will leave you a slight margin of error in your aimpoint and/or windage estimation)
                Last edited by Bill; 04 Apr 05,, 04:38.

Comment

Dodn't the ring keep the zero, or is it the scope? I'm not too educated on good optics.
                  What makes a great scope? I've shot through a Simmons 3-7 power $50 scope, and it's great, escpecially clicking MOA adjustments. It'll hold a zero for a hundred rounds or so before going maybe a half-inch off at 75 yards. It's mounted on a surprisinhgly accurate .22 WMR bolt-action savage.

BTW, I've heard the Steyr scout has a very smooth and quiet bolt, but what's its accuracy? Just want to know, I know it's $3,000 at Cabelas.

Comment

The Steyr scout is the brainchild of Col. Jeff Cooper, a famous big game hunter, ex soldier, and writer for Guns and Ammo magazine. By all acounts it is an excellent weapon.

Quality optics fog less, have a lower incidence of parallex, greater precision of adjustment, possess greater water-tight integrity, provide better shock resistance, and are vastly superior WRT ambient light magnification. Quality rings and base will help a weapon to better hold it's zero.

Comment

"lower incidence of parallex"
                      You mean that your eye can be closer r farthe away from the scop ad still get a full-length vision, not the black area around the FOV?

I'm runninbg a screen gamma/color correcter right now, and it
                      s amazing what it does to old CRTs. It's free and Mac only! *grins*

Comment

Originally posted by sniperdude411
                        "lower incidence of parallex"
                        You mean that your eye can be closer r farthe away from the scop ad still get a full-length vision, not the black area around the FOV?

I'm runninbg a screen gamma/color correcter right now, and it
                        s amazing what it does to old CRTs. It's free and Mac only! *grins*
                        No. You are refering to eye relief.

Parallax would be something like the point of impact varying with your eye placement behind the scope. You can test this by putting your scoped gun on a benchrest with the crosshairs on the target. now move your eye around a bit and see if the cross hairs move on the target. Most scopes are good for specific ranges so you would have to repeate this for a variety of ranges. While you are testing the scope, also change the power settings and make sure the scope does not change the zero on you when you change the power.

The more time you spend looking through a scope, the more you will appreciate a quality scope.
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I wouldn't go with a .25-06, simply because you don't need that much gun for such a small animal. However, if you want to go deer hunting with it too, then get it. It's a really, really fine round for most medium to small sized animals.
                          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

The .25-06 vaporizes varmints though.

Good fun. :)

Comment

Any hints on the gun itself?
                              I'll change my requirements to $600 for the gun only. No scope included.
                              I'd want one with a smoother action, that makes a really nice sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X