Weapon system cancellation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapon system cancellation?

What's the biggest blunder your country's military has made in the manner of cancelling some weapon system that would have been good otherwise?

Originally posted by Fury
    What's the biggest blunder your country's military has made in the manner of cancelling some weapon system that would have been good otherwise?
    Don't know if it was a blunder but certainly the most well known. The Canadian CF-105 AVRO ARROW, probably the best interceptor ever designed and probably a dead loser as a fighter.

Comment

YES, that idiot Diefenbaker, what a fool, he cut if because it was too expensive right, and becuase he said that there was no point, just buy them from America, yeqa, it was to be the most capable and advanced niterceptor at the time, it was an incredible aircraft, Diefenbaker, hate him so much
      for MOTHER MOLDOVA

Comment

But it was a lousy fighter. There was NO external mount points, no guns, and an internal weapons bay that would be a ***** and a half to do ACM with the bay doors openned. The airframe testing was never finished, never been mated to the Iroquois engine, let alone ACM using that engine.

Comment

I guess we made a mistake when we turned down the RN's offer to sell us HMS Invincible, which was brand new at the time. Still, I'm sure the UK are glad we did because they would have been in a real pickle without her when the argentines invaded the falklands.

Comment

TSR2 - the most advanced low-level high speed strike aircraft of its age. we cancelled it, ordered F111's, cancelled them and had to wait 20 years until a replacement aircraft arived in the Tornado.

type 22 destroyers whose main quality was that they burnt well.

the utterly and eternally crap Bowman communication system, 15 years late, way over budget and it doesn't work - forcing the british army to use mobile phones...

we should of bought the F15/F14 when they were offered to us instead of the dire tornado F3 intercepter.
            before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

"probably the best interceptor ever designed and probably a dead loser as a fighter."

That's quite a statement in a world that's seen the F-14D, Mig-31 and Lockheed A-12.

Anyone remember the US Army Sgt. York/DIVAD?

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                That's quite a statement in a world that's seen the F-14D, Mig-31 and Lockheed A-12.
                Bill, we're argueing which is the biggest turkey on this thread. Whatever the promise of the CF-105 AVRO ARROW remained just that, promises. There were technical hurdles that were anticipated but never overcame, up to and including the prototype planes were never mated to the much hyped IROQUOIS engines.

In any case, I thought the bird was a turkey and if you want to trump the F-14D over it, I would not argue one bit. The MiG-31, however, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                  In any case, I thought the bird was a turkey and if you want to trump the F-14D over it, I would not argue one bit. The MiG-31, however, ...
                  I thought that MiG-31 has an excellent potential to be AWACs killers or combat electronic jamming or EW platforms since they can fit 3 people in it and carry enourmous amount of workload.

Comment

It's the craftsmanship (or lack thereof) that's the killer.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      Anyone remember the US Army Sgt. York/DIVAD?

LOL
                      Are you saying the Sgt. York would have been a good system? (The question of the thread)
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                        It's the craftsmanship (or lack thereof) that's the killer.
                        Crude craftsmanship to be sure. But unnecessary. It had/has a very long ranged phased array(against large targets) radar that indivicually covered more airspace than an F-14s, long range missiles, could data link with other Mig 31s, when used together could cover enormous amounts of airspace, long legs and generally better than anytbing the US has had in the purest form in the sense of the term "interceptor". Not a fighter to be sure, but a B-52 killer. Designed for nuclear combat, PVO STRANDY defensive interceptor. No compromises were made to make it a "fighter" as well, but only that strictly regarding defensive interception. The F-14 had a somewhat different mission, fleet defense, which included possibly mixing it up with fighters, and had a Hawkeye vectoring it to long range targets, unlike the Mig-31 which had to hunt low flying bombers trying to penetrate through terrain masking. The similarity between the F-14 and Mig-31 was long range radars, and long range missiles. (probably Phoenix had somewhat more range)
                        Since it was designed for killing large slow lumbering and unmaneuverable targets at long range I don't doubt it could be used against AWACs in either case.

Comment

The day the USAF finally manages to kill the A-10 will be a Black Day in my book.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                            The day the USAF finally manages to kill the A-10 will be a Black Day in my book.

-dale
                            It will be around for a while, and I agree. Nothing can replace it, unless we update the design and start producing them again.

Comment

"Are you saying the Sgt. York would have been a good system? (The question of the thread)"

Nope, was just pointing to it as a complete boondogle.

Comment

Working...
                              X