FN Five-SeveN: tool of the devil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FN Five-SeveN: tool of the devil?

It seems that NJ senators Corzine and Lautenberg plan to introduce the "Protect Law Enforcement Armor (PLEA) Act" to ban anyone except police and military official from buying "assault pistols" firing bullets capable of penetrating a bulletproof vest.
    Specifically targeted is the FN Five-SeveN pistol. Evil armor piercing thing that it is.

First, WTF is an "assault pistol" ?!?

Second, the only 5.7 ammo legally sold to individuals is SS192 ball. (technically a hollowpoint but does not expand). This is not AP. The guns sell for $850-900 right now, and SS192 is between 80 cents and $2 per round right now. SS190 and the other AP type are not legally sold to individuals. period. I have yet to see any on the gray market, and i've been looking for months.

If they really cared about protecting us, they'd provide federal funds to purchase body armor for all the smaller departments who can't afford it.

Now I can think of a certain military surplus pistol selling for about $100. that will also penetrate level IIA body armor with surplus fmj ammo. I won't mention it in case the drug dealers are watching, but many of you know what gun it is.
    Druggies aren't going to buy Five-SeveNs and Barrett rifles, guys. Figure it out.
    Rule 303

I've seen Five-SeveN's being sold for about $500 new. What they're probably concerned about is the 20-something round magazine.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

New laws won't ever change anything. Almost all of the guns usede in crimes are already illegal. Hi-Points and Brycos are the mos notorious for crimes-not from magazine capacity, but the price. Just close the borders and it'll all stop soon. I'd say 80% of all guns used in crimes are from Mexico somehow.
      And the banning of Barret rifles is hilariously stupid. Since when has a criminal used a .50 caliber rifle in a crime? Imagine... a bannk heist with a Barret; extremely concealable, alright! Just pull one right out of your pocket.
      Nearly all of the current gun laws are useless. Thank God John Kerry didn't win the elections.

Comment

That would've been a pure-D disaster for all gun owners.
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

This may very well be another example of the gun grabbers going after the fringe weapons. (ones that few of us have or use) They are hoping that the general attitude among gun owners is, " I do not have one of those so it will not affect me if they are banned". Later comes the, " these and those are banned so it is ok to ban x guns as well." If you can't ban everything at once, divide and conquor a little at a time.

To my knowledge the FN five-seven has not been a problem. Until it is a problem, NJ should have more important things to work on.
          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

It's so funny that since gns are used in many crimes, people percieve that it is the gun's fault and the gun should be banned... They don't even have feelings! If guns ae violent, then knives, and bows and arrows, and some other third thing, are violent, too. We should all ban them, too!

C'mon, guys. Get a hold of yourself. Don't ban the inanimate object, ban the source of the wrong-doings—The crazily-insane® person! Just because an item is used to do bad things doesn't mean it's its sole purpose.

Comment

I move that we immediately ban all criminals.

That'll teach em...

Idiots, all politicians are idiots.

Comment

Most of the politicians who are for banning guns have never smelled cordite in their lives. Their reasoning is based on ignorance.

Comment

Their reasoning is based on power and control.

An unarmed populace gives them un-counterable power to impose their will upon we the unwashed masses.

Comment

Amen to that.
                    Jeez, it's really bad weather here in Lancaster. Our creek has overflowed almost to the point where I can't get to the road. You're lucky, snipe.

Comment

Totally agree with this sentiment but the clip is no bigger than the glock and the glock has the full auto model Glock 18 in the 9x19 para. So who the F are these clowns kidding?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingCaddy
                        Totally agree with this sentiment but the clip is no bigger than the glock and the glock has the full auto model Glock 18 in the 9x19 para. So who the F are these clowns kidding?

Transferable Glock 18's are almost nonexistent here, but I agree with the opinion. The 20 round mag isn't that big a deal, and there are a number of 18 rnd 9mm pistols out there in semiauto too.
                        They just want to get a foot in the door banning some types of guns, and they know the only way they'll get ridiculous gun control legislation through is to call it a "safety measure" or say they're protecting us poor police officers. Same agenda, new axis of attack.

There are many many hunting/civilian rifle calibers out there that will penetrate body armor, (heck, almost all of them will) Banning one scarce, expensive gun (with even more scarce, expensive ammo) is just the beginning of a slippery slope towards banning them all. Its the same mindset that wanted to individually serial number ammunition (ever hear of reloading, guys?) and tax ammo to make it unaffordable. Not to mention unworkable ballistic fingerprinting, mandatory gun locks, and frivolous lawsuits (if you can sue a gunmaker for selling a well-functioning handgun that might be misused by an end user, can I sue GM for making the well-functioning car that smacked me on a police motorcycle?)

Rant mode off.
                        Rule 303

Comment

Originally posted by Beaugeste93
                          Transferable Glock 18's are almost nonexistent here, but I agree with the opinion. The 20 round mag isn't that big a deal, and there are a number of 18 rnd 9mm pistols out there in semiauto too.
                          They just want to get a foot in the door banning some types of guns, and they know the only way they'll get ridiculous gun control legislation through is to call it a "safety measure" or say they're protecting us poor police officers. Same agenda, new axis of attack.

There are many many hunting/civilian rifle calibers out there that will penetrate body armor, (heck, almost all of them will) Banning one scarce, expensive gun (with even more scarce, expensive ammo) is just the beginning of a slippery slope towards banning them all. Its the same mindset that wanted to individually serial number ammunition (ever hear of reloading, guys?) and tax ammo to make it unaffordable. Not to mention unworkable ballistic fingerprinting, mandatory gun locks, and frivolous lawsuits (if you can sue a gunmaker for selling a well-functioning handgun that might be misused by an end user, can I sue GM for making the well-functioning car that smacked me on a police motorcycle?)

Rant mode off.
                          I wouldn't call that a rant, but an intelligent statement of opinion. Some very good ponts you have.
                          Not everything that is used to kill people (like cars; there are many car-related deaths compared to gun-related deaths) should be banned.
                          If guns are used to kill people, then cars are, bows and arrows are, knives and shovels and ladders and water are all used to kill people. We should ban them all.

Comment

From what I have heard, the "5-7" was a flop for FN. It was designed as a counterpart to the p90 personal defence weapon.

Civilians can't even purchase the AP ammo(criminals would find a way though).

So in IMO, that's left us with a gun that no cops want, a gun that is rather unremarkable for the average person, and another weapon for criminals to put thier dirty hands on.

Comment

Again, it's a bit prohibitly expensive for criminals; would you want an Ak-74 with a thousand rounds of AP ammo, or an FN-57 with maybe 100 rounds AP?

Comment

Working...
                              X