PDA

View Full Version : College football begins tonight!

Shek
03 Sep 09,, 21:44
My Army team plays on Saturday. Hopefully, the new coach with a new defensive scheme and a real triple option with option QBs at #1 and #2 on the depth chart will make a difference.

Stitch
03 Sep 09,, 22:32
Me, I'm looking for UT to go all the way again this year, like they did in '05 with Vince Young. I also think Colt McCoy, their starting QB, has a better than even chance of pulling the Heisman down this year; last year, he was #2 in the voting, and actually managed a few #1 votes for the trophy. Now, if we can only get Florida to implode . . . . . .

osage18
04 Sep 09,, 01:25
My Army team plays on Saturday. Hopefully, the new coach with a new defensive scheme and a real triple option with option QBs at #1 and #2 on the depth chart will make a difference.

I hope that Army can run the triple option half as well as Navy...who opens at Ohio State, btw. The triple option is so much fun to watch; especially when run properly. I liked watching Georgia Tech run it last year, I knew it would make it's way into a major conference at some point. I would like to see more major teams pick it up.

For tonight...I think the Gamecocks better get a good start to their season or Spurrier may hang it up...or at least try another job.

I am really hoping for a Boise State victory. I've followed them for years. I hope they can go undefeated this year; so tonight is a must for them.

Shek
06 Sep 09,, 00:30
My Fighting Illini just got spanked by Mizzou. Hopefully, the Army Team will do better. Kickoff is just around the corner.

S2
06 Sep 09,, 00:46
Go Badgers!!:biggrin:

osage18
06 Sep 09,, 01:06
My Fighting Illini just got spanked by Mizzou. Hopefully, the Army Team will do better. Kickoff is just around the corner.

Hey can we watch the Army games on AKO?

Did you see Navy almost beat OSU! Whoa!

Shek
06 Sep 09,, 02:34
Hey can we watch the Army games on AKO?

Did you see Navy almost beat OSU! Whoa!

Not that I'm aware of. CBS has a contract for most of the games. ESPN's GameCast (if you're a non-paying muldoon like me) is slow. For this game, EMU's live stats webpage is the most real time thing I can find: ICS SIDEARM Stats - Football (http://www.sidearmstats.com/emu/football/)

If you have Sirius, channel 81 is carrying the game.

Shek
06 Sep 09,, 19:08
Army is 1-0 :)

Of course, not all of our games are against bottom feeders :redface:

We'll see how the season progresses.

osage18
07 Sep 09,, 00:10
Not that I'm aware of. CBS has a contract for most of the games. ESPN's GameCast (if you're a non-paying muldoon like me) is slow. For this game, EMU's live stats webpage is the most real time thing I can find: ICS SIDEARM Stats - Football (http://www.sidearmstats.com/emu/football/)

If you have Sirius, channel 81 is carrying the game.

Yeah I ended up listening on Sirius, bouncing back and forth between Army and KSU games. Looks like the new offense fared pretty well, based on the stats. I think Army plays Duke next...historically a garbage team also.

BenRoethig
10 Sep 09,, 13:13
Yeah I ended up listening on Sirius, bouncing back and forth between Army and KSU games. Looks like the new offense fared pretty well, based on the stats. I think Army plays Duke next...historically a garbage team also.

They said the same thing about the Tar Heels football program not that long ago. As my hawks found out, you can't take anyone lightly.

BenRoethig
10 Sep 09,, 13:19
Me, I'm looking for UT to go all the way again this year, like they did in '05 with Vince Young. I also think Colt McCoy, their starting QB, has a better than even chance of pulling the Heisman down this year; last year, he was #2 in the voting, and actually managed a few #1 votes for the trophy. Now, if we can only get Florida to implode . . . . . .

I would have to agree. I think there's just something prophetic about a guy named Colt McCoy leading Texas.

Shek
15 Sep 09,, 03:05
Well, my Army team lost this past weekend. Leading for most of the game and then down a touchdown and the 2 minute guy came in and went 2-2 with 2 TDs. Unfortunately, they were both for the opposing team :mad:

Albany Rifles
15 Sep 09,, 14:24
My Mounties are 2-0.

Big test this Saturday versus Auburn.

S2
15 Sep 09,, 15:17
2-0. Tough home win last weekend against Fresno St. Interception in the end-zone during the 2nd overtime sealed the Badger victory. Forty-plus players sick throughout the week prior with the flu.

Play Wofford this weekend. Triple-option attack for 20+ years and picked second in the Southern Conference to App. St. Could be a good game.

Third-string Q.B. came from nowhere to win the starting Q.B. job in Madison and has been utterly outstanding to date.

Stitch
15 Sep 09,, 18:53
UT has been winning big so far; the last two games were won with (on averege) a 35 point difference. Last week's game wasn't pretty, but we pulled it out in the second half, and stomped Wyoming (well, they ARE unranked).

This week we're up against Texas Tech, the only school to beat us (barely) last year (Colt ALMOST pulled it out!), but it's still a 17-point spread in favor of UT; we'll see . . . .

Stitch
20 Sep 09,, 05:51
Well, UT won tonight (again), but they didn't look very convincing; Colt's numbers weren't all that hot, especially in the first half. The points spread was 17-1/2 at the start of the game, but they only beat Tech by 10; Colt's not going to win the Heisman playing like that. Hope they can play better next week . . . .

S2
21 Sep 09,, 16:44
3-0. Michy St. and the conference schedule is up next. Spanked poor lil' Wofford this weekend but not without our starting tailback fumbling THREE times. Freaky sh!t that won't cut starting next weekend.

On Wisconsin!

Albany Rifles
24 Sep 09,, 15:22
you just can't tell them much.:biggrin:

There's One In Every Crowd - College Football - Deadspin (http://deadspin.com/5366218/theres-one-in-every-crowd)

Stay Classy, Madison!;)

S2
24 Sep 09,, 15:38
On Wisconsin!! Beat Navy!!!

S2
24 Sep 09,, 18:58
"Then, the next year, driving through the lovely Appalachians, going to a Pirates game in Pittsburgh the night beforehand, and then, Morgantown on gameday: hearing a Mountaineer booster drop the N-word in reference to his team's own quarterback, getting pelted with eggs by drunk students for having the audacity to wear red. Lee Evans saving the win with a great individual play. Nervously driving out of town at top speed. Oh, the memories."

Go Mountaineers!!

"Stay Classy, Madison!;)"

You too, Morgantown!

We save our eggs for Buckeyes...:))

gunnut
24 Sep 09,, 21:23
What was wrong with USC? The Trojans lost to unranked Huskies.

S2
24 Sep 09,, 22:19
They've a nasty habit of blowing an early conference game or two over the last few years, I believe. Oregon St. last year too, maybe?

Albany Rifles
25 Sep 09,, 03:02
"Then, the next year, driving through the lovely Appalachians, going to a Pirates game in Pittsburgh the night beforehand, and then, Morgantown on gameday: hearing a Mountaineer booster drop the N-word in reference to his team's own quarterback, getting pelted with eggs by drunk students for having the audacity to wear red. Lee Evans saving the win with a great individual play. Nervously driving out of town at top speed. Oh, the memories."

Go Mountaineers!!

"Stay Classy, Madison!;)"

You too, Morgantown!

We save our eggs for Buckeyes...:))

????

Almost College, West Virginia

bonehead
26 Sep 09,, 05:25
After the turd Oregon laid at Boise, in addition to an extraordinary running back who lost his mind after the game and is now out for the season. I am not going to brag much for awhile. I do respect the coaches decision to bench him for the year as now everyone who plays at Oregon knows the coach will not tolerate that behavior. The cal game will be the good test to see what the ducks are made of. Either way it should be an exciting game. Oregon/Cal games usually are not decided until the last second. If the offense does not return to last seasons form I fear this year is going to suck for oregon.

The pac ten looks to be a brutal season this year as the teams are closely matched and USC looks to have lost its dominance.

Does anyone else miss Keith jackson? I grew up listening to him every fall. It does not seem quite the same without his voice calling the big games.

S2
26 Sep 09,, 17:25
Lot of conference games beginning today. Badgers-Spartans on ESPN 1200hrs EST. Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. If lucky, might be a shoot-out at home. If not, blow-out loss at home. Porous Badger secondary and offensive line (same as Green Bay, btw) lead to my fears.

Lot at stake and a lot that I'll know about my boys in about four hours.

Here's hoping...(glug, glug...)!:))

S2
26 Sep 09,, 22:02
Learned a lot. All good.

I'm very, very happy.:))

On Wisconsin!

S2
29 Sep 09,, 17:15
Can't recall it happening ever but the planets have aligned for an unusually violent merging of the lands between the river.

Saturday Wisconsin travels to Minneapolis for the conference unveiling of UM's new outdoor stadium. The Metrodome used to be our home field away from home but that may have now changed. Don't know how many Badgers UM is gonna allow into their shiny new edifice.

We'll be playing to retain Paul Bunyan's axe and it should prove to be a hellacious game with Minnesota's combo of Weber to Decker taking on our more balanced attack.

THAT's followed on Monday night with Green Bay at Minnesota. Yup. Favre-Green Bay is gonna happen and the buzz around this game should be stupendous.

We hate 'em. They hate us. Always have. I've hated them since Tarkenton's FIRST run with them in the early sixties. Now that harlot Favre is wearing their fcukin' Viqueens jersey.

It'll be an ugly moment to see him on the field wearing purple and white with the green and gold on the other side.

On Wisconsin! Go Green Bay!

S2
04 Oct 09,, 01:14
Nation's oldest rivalry played today and Wisconsin holds Paul Bunyan's axe for the sixth straight year beating the Goofs in their house today.

5-0.

OSU in Columbus next.

Mobbme
04 Oct 09,, 02:07
Who's going to be better in the NFL, Sanchez (awesome already) or Tebow?

BenRoethig
04 Oct 09,, 16:13
Who's going to be better in the NFL, Sanchez (awesome already) or Tebow?

I think that depends on who Tebow ends up with. I think he has the work ethic and intelligence to match his considerable skill set. If he ends up with an established franchise running the west coast offense, I think he can be very successful. If he ends up some place like Oakland or Washington, it doesn't matter if they have the almighty under center with his angels making up the rest of the team, they're not going to win unless there's a change in leadership.

Mobbme
04 Oct 09,, 20:22
I think that depends on who Tebow ends up with. I think he has the work ethic and intelligence to match his considerable skill set. If he ends up with an established franchise running the west coast offense, I think he can be very successful. If he ends up some place like Oakland or Washington, it doesn't matter if they have the almighty under center with his angels making up the rest of the team, they're not going to win unless there's a change in leadership.

Interesting.

I like Tebow. Definitely going to be a fan of his when he gets in the NFL.

S2
05 Oct 09,, 20:12
Alright.

It's ON!

Undefeated Wisconsin plays one-loss OSU in Columbus this Saturday on ABC. Both schools are undefeated in conference play (2-0) and the winner will be in the driver's seat for the conference title.

Since 1981, Wisconsin is 10-13-1 against the mighty OSU. By far, the best performance against the Bucknuts of ANY B-10 program in that period. That includes multiple wins in Columbus. We've spotted them 17 before there and beat them 42-17. We've shut them out too.

There's no special aura surrounding their program to us and this team is maybe Wisconsin's most balanced offensive attack I've yet seen (been watching since 1967).

Buckeyes are HEAVILY FAVORED. I think the line opened at -14.5.

Take the points and Wisconsin if you're a betting man. We're healthy and we'll be, I believe, not overly-jacked thus ready to play.

As good as our passing game has been, it will (like our running attack) boil down to the "big uglies". LOS will be where the tale of the tape is played out.

Can't wait...:))

On Wisconsin!! Beat the Buckeyes!:)

Station 22
06 Oct 09,, 03:43
Okay, if y'all are going to have a college football thread, the Crimson Tide has to be brought up.

Ole Miss is going to get crushed this weekend.

Stitch
06 Oct 09,, 22:02
UT rolled to a victory week before last, and absolutely CRUSHED UTEP, 64-7. As coach Mack Brown said, you almost hate to beat a team that badly, especially an unranked team. It was so bad, they pulled Colt McCoy out of the game in the beginning of the 3rd quarter, and let their freshman back-up QB get some real game time.

This week: against Colorado, with a 33 point spread in favor of UT (again).

Jimbo
06 Oct 09,, 22:29
UT has been winning big so far; the last two games were won with (on averege) a 35 point difference. Last week's game wasn't pretty, but we pulled it out in the second half, and stomped Wyoming (well, they ARE unranked).

I was at that game, I have never heard War Memorial get as loud as it did after the blocked punt was returned for a touchdown and Wyoming took the lead, for a brief period of time. I was feeling good having the score 13-10 Texas at halftime, then the second half started and Colt McCoy remembered how to play QB.:redface:

I also am quite mad at BYU no excuse for that blowout by FSU at home. The one time I am actually rooting for that team for the sake of the Mtn West they go and blow it:mad:

Stitch
06 Oct 09,, 23:39
I was at that game, I have never heard War Memorial get as loud as it did after the blocked punt was returned for a touchdown and Wyoming took the lead, for a brief period of time.

I've never been in a stadium with 100,000 people, I'l bet it was loud.

I was feeling good having the score 13-10 Texas at halftime, then the second half started and Colt McCoy remembered how to play QB.:redface:

He has been a little rusty during the first half of the last few games (well, except for UTEP), but he seems to make up for it in the second half. He doesn't seem to be as "on" as he was last year, but I'm hoping he has a strong finish (and maybe even a Heisman).

Jimbo
07 Oct 09,, 02:12
I've never been in a stadium with 100,000 people, I'l bet it was loud.

He has been a little rusty during the first half of the last few games (well, except for UTEP), but he seems to make up for it in the second half. He doesn't seem to be as "on" as he was last year, but I'm hoping he has a strong finish (and maybe even a Heisman).

Ha no the game was in Wyoming, so think 30,000 plus. If we had a stadium for 100,000 we would need 1 out of every 5 people in the state to fill it. Heck Laramie is only 23,000 counting students. I would like to applaud the majority of the Texas fans who realized their team far outclassed ours and thus acted with class. However to that idiot that started a fight in the student section right by where I was standing...

Most of the Texas fans were classy and it was cool that they had to bring in extra seating to accomodate the large amount that traveled.

You guys probably don't care about little Wyoming, but I am going to school here. I think in the long run the blowouts by Texas and then CU were good for UW. It forced UW to give up on the two QB system and go with a true freshmen for our starter now. He only played garbage time against Texas, but he is doing well now. First Wyoming player to win consecutive MWC offensive player of the week awards now. Might be snowing for our homecoming game this weekend. I will also say that so far I like our new coach.

By the way the other team I root for also has a true freshmen as a starter for QB. Michigan is doing a lot better than what I expected.

S2
08 Oct 09,, 18:13
Jimbo,

He's an interesting player who reminds me a bit of a kid we had quarterbacking Wisconsin two years ago, Tyler Donovan. Somewhat small, quick feet, throws well outside the pocket and, in the end, simply a playmaker.

There's an interesting and antagonistic rivalry, I guess, that has existed in SoCal high school football through the years between the Clausen and Forcier families. Both have had 4star/5star sons (multiple) in each family and, apparently, don't like one another one bit.

It carried over this year in a real thriller for the Wolves. Should be interesting going forward.

My sister's birthday is Nov. 13. Her hubby has season ticks for UW and Michy will be in Madison of the 14th. I know she'll be there. Only wish I would be. We'll beat 'em, in my mind, but it'll be real fun watching Forcier line up.

To date, as a true frosh, he's been equal to the task. We wanted him BAD and stayed in the recruiting process until late but just don't carry the nat'l cred that block M has. It'll be a pleasure to pound his azz into the Camp Randall turf...

Fcuk the Wolves. Beat the Buckeyes. Go Badgers! On Wisconsin!!

Shamus
08 Oct 09,, 21:01
Fcuk the Wolves.Dude,Dude....why so harsh?:rolleyes:
Beat the Buckeyes. Go Badgers! On Wisconsin!!I'll even be rooting for your squat,beady-eyed,furry little b@stards when they play the Buckeyes;):biggrin:

S2
09 Oct 09,, 01:12
Walter,

"I'll even be rooting for your squat,beady-eyed,furry little b@stards when they play the Buckeyes;):))"

As will I when you do the same. Remember, the only real difference is a badger doesn't purposely walk around all day looking to beat the crap outta some creature 50 times it's size.

There's NO creature, human or otherwise, on God's good earth with a meaner, more surly, gnarly, frothing disposition that a wolverine. Badgers are close but have the good sense to save it for defending their dens.

Forcier is fun and I LOVE his game. Just have to separate professional admiration from personal enmity. Plus we owe it to ourselves after our world-class epic melt-down in Ann Arbor last fall. THAT was a gruesome abortion of choke-artistry at its worst and must be exorcised by burning your mangy hides once in our friendly confines...:biggrin:

Love ya', bud.;)

S2
09 Oct 09,, 01:42
Our lil' buddies-

7VoKioxH-5Q&feature=related

and Mr. Badger-

c81bcjyfn6U

O.k. so Mr. Badger's got a small penchant for roaming about and looking for trouble (food) too.

God love 'em.

S2
11 Oct 09,, 00:41
It's a game of big plays and we were OWNED in that category today.

Totally dominated total yards and time of possession and are losing miserably on two picks returned for T.D.s, a kickoff return for a T.D. and a dropped pass through the hands of a Badger in the Buckeye endzone.

Four plays and a 28 point swing.:mad:

It's really a very easy game to understand sometimes.

Damned shame...

Mobbme
12 Oct 09,, 06:51
All bow down to Tebow.

Station 22
12 Oct 09,, 16:29
The Crimson Tide keeps rising.

The Defense totally shut down another offense, this time Old Miss, with preseason Heisman contender, Jevan Snead at the helm. While he was only sacked one time, he spent the day running for his life, thowing passes like an off the bench freshman and lost 4 interceptions. Ole Miss rushed for 72 yds total and all of that ws in the 2nd half.

The Tide offense had problems all day and had to settle for 1 TD and 5 field goals, even when starting 3 drives inside the Ole Miss 10 yd line. Realistically, Bama should have scored around 40 points. That they didn't speaks poorly of the offense.

Next week South Carolina.

bonehead
01 Nov 09,, 05:26
Oregon just sent USC's title hopes packing with a dominating game. This was the game we have been waiting for all season. Now the test is if the ducks can remained focused the next two weeks. Stanford and Arizona can play spoiler if given half the chance.

bonehead
22 Nov 09,, 06:53
One way or another a team from Oregon gets to represent the Pac Ten in the rose bowl. Finally, a civil war for all the marbles. Rose bowl officials must be crying already about the lost revenue from not having USC or any other big market there to face ohio state.

Herodotus
23 Nov 09,, 21:30
One way or another a team from Oregon gets to represent the Pac Ten in the rose bowl. Finally, a civil war for all the marbles. Rose bowl officials must be crying already about the lost revenue from not having USC or any other big market there to face ohio state.

About time!!! I'm partial to the Beavers since my dad, and great-granddad, and lil sis went there. OSU was denied last year by the Ducks for a chance at the Granddaddy. Hopefully this year they can win it, and end their streak of over 50 years without a Rose Bowl berth. :)

bonehead
24 Nov 09,, 07:10
As an Oregon Alumni, I do not think the odds are in the beaver's favor this year either. Oregon has no problems putting up 40 point's per game. The key will be Oregon's defense. Which one will show up. The one that stomped all over USC or the one that forgot to show up at Stanford. However, OSU is a solid and well coached team that no one wants to play at the end of the season. There is going to be a lot of excitement for this years civil war. Most importantly the civil war is no longer to see who is the greatest embarrassment of the PAC TEN like the late 1970's and the 8o's

Herodotus
24 Nov 09,, 22:31
Indeed it may be difficult for OSU to beat Oregon this year, but whatever the outcome at least a team from Oregon will represent in the Rose Bowl. I was so sick of Southern Cal. :)

S2
25 Nov 09,, 11:14
State's buzzing. HUGE game for a change and my congratulations to both schools.