Chinese anger over Dalai Lama's Taiwan trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese anger over Dalai Lama's Taiwan trip

China has criticised an invitation from Taiwan to the Dalai Lama, calling him a separatist who wants to sabotage improving cross-strait relations.

Taiwan's president granted opposition requests for Tibet's spiritual leader to comfort victims of Typhoon Morakot.

"He raises the religious banner and continues to carry out attempting to split the country."

The authorities in Beijing said Taiwan's pro-independence opposition had ulterior motives in asking the more pro-Beijing President Ma Ying-jeou to approve the Dalai Lama's visit.

"Some of the people in the Democratic Progressive Party use the disaster rescue excuse to invite Dalai to Taiwan to sabotage the hard-earned positive situation of cross-straits relations," the statement said.

But the typhoon and its aftermath have left Mr Ma in a difficult position.

His popularity has plunged to a record low of 20% over his handling of the disaster.

According to the BBC's Cindy Sui in Taipei, the president needed to give the green light to the Dalai Lama's visit because he could not afford to hurt his and his party's image any further.

The Dalai Lama has long been eager to visit Taiwan, and is looking forward to the trip, his aide told Reuters news agency.

Taiwan is home to a large exiled Tibetan community, and millions of Taiwanese are Buddhists.
    Full story here BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | China anger over Dalai Lama trip

There would've been no such visit if the typhoon hadn’t struck and caused Ma’s popularity to collapse.

The Dalai Lama better make the most out of this trip, as rarely does the chance arise for him to visit Taiwan.

Nebula82.

The Dalai Lama and Taiwan in the same sentence sounds like something out of a dusty book with a name like 'How to give the CPC a stroke';).

For that alone it's a very good idea :).
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
      The Dalai Lama and Taiwan in the same sentence sounds like something out of a dusty book with a name like 'How to give the CPC a stroke';).

I was thinking the same damn things!! :))
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The fact that PRC is also more worried about Xinjiang makes it possible.

Comment

As usual while the PRC tells everyone not to interfere with their internal affairs they continue to interfere with others internal affairs.
          Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
            As usual while the PRC tells everyone not to interfere with their internal affairs they continue to interfere with others internal affairs.
            While I have no love of the CCP & its little games, I'm afraid that the standard you've described is pretty much the same one most nations adhere to. What differs is what nations they are powerful enough (one way or another) to apply it to.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              While I have no love of the CCP & its little games, I'm afraid that the standard you've described is pretty much the same one most nations adhere to. What differs is what nations they are powerful enough (one way or another) to apply it to.
              Why are you afraid of it? I don't deny it & say the same of Ruddy, Howard, Keating etc i'm calling it - if your point is it's nothing new - we all knew that.

But not saying it would be failure to exercise my Poppy Cutting rights

Yet another example of PRC Hedgemonic traits which gets demonstrated right from killing it's own people willfully, down to repeatedly trying to besmirch a recipient of the CMH like a screaming kid in a NewZealand supermarket that you can't discipline for fear of repercussions!
              Ego Numquam

Comment

The Dalai Lama is a lousy strategist. Half the negotiating problems would have gone away if he had dropped that idiot demand for autonomy of Greater Tibet, along with those Khampa partisans.

Comment

His holiness lost a great deal of respect in Northern Taiwan according to a survey and his political move actually back-fired as PRC only gave the standard "criticism" at the "Taiwan's pro-independence opposition" not against the government. This actually gave an indirect support to Ma.
                  Last edited by xinhui; 30 Aug 09,, 00:46.
                  “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                    I was thinking the same damn things!! :))
                    No stock, ROC just accepted a donation of 1000 combat boots from the PRC "transferred" by Singapore.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by xinhui; 30 Aug 09,, 01:02.
                    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post

It will be good if you actual read the BBC report as further North/South divide in ROC politic might be a welcome sign to the folks in Beijing.

Comment

Gunnut's proposal to split up Taiwan along political lines looks like a good idea with each passing moment.

If it ever happens, let's nominate him for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                          Gunnut's proposal to split up Taiwan along political lines looks like a good idea with each passing moment.

If it ever happens, let's nominate him for the Nobel Peace Prize.
                          I am shocked that someone actually remembered what I said...

In all seriousness, Dalai Lama was not invited by the central government, but rather by the pro-independence politicians and mayors in the south. China has recognized that fact and condemned the pro-independence movement.

This is definitely more fun to watch than when Chen was in office.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Odds are that the DDP will give the Dali Lama (I refuse to call him his holiness) a lecture about how Tibet is an integral part of China.

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                              No stock, ROC just accepted a donation of 1000 combat boots from the PRC "transferred" by Singapore.
                              Sir, can you tell me why Taiwan doesn't have essential combat boots in stock. I figure out of 1/4 million soldiers, there would be enough boots to go around.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X