What-If: Upgraded Battleships, Germany 1918

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What-If: Upgraded Battleships, Germany 1918

I'm working on a thread on another forum detailing a history of 2009 Germany in place of 1918 Germany. Don't bother with the details, too confusing :P

As part of this thread, i'm having a (Baltics-based) naval force consisting of two König class battleships, as well as two Kolberg class and four Bremen class light cruisers, with three Nassau class dreadnoughts held in reserve and four Cöln class hulls up for modification.

Now, in which way could the above König class battleships and Nassau class dreadnoughts be upgraded to improve their performance in the 1920s and 30s?

Primary threat profile would be the USN and RN of that time. Preferably not too heavy on the missile side, and only using "domestic" things. I'd like to keep the coal-/oil-fired steam propulsion in place.

Couple ideas:
    - radar (should be obvious)
    - fire control for at least the main battery
    - modern 21-inch torpedo tubes with DM2A3/A4 in place of the old 450mm and 500mm TTs possibly
    - replacement of 8-8 batteries with surplus 40mm Bofors or 76mm OTO from stocks?
    - possibly RAM in place of some 15cm guns for better performance against the upcoming carrier thread

Interesting? Just'd like to bounce some ideas of your heads :))
    Last edited by kato; 23 Aug 09,, 15:30.

Originally posted by kato View Post
    Primary threat profile would be the USN and RN of that time. Preferably not too heavy on the missile side, and only using "domestic" things. I'd like to keep the coal-/oil-fired steam propulsion in place.
    *confused*

Are you talking about modernizing the Konig/Nassau classes to face the RN/USN in the 1930s or the year 2009? If the former why are you including things like Radar and RAM that didn't then exist?

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
      I'm working on a thread on another forum detailing a history of 2009 Germany in place of 1918 Germany. Don't bother with the details, too confusing :P

As part of this thread, i'm having a (Baltics-based) naval force consisting of two König class battleships, as well as two Kolberg class and four Bremen class light cruisers, with three Nassau class dreadnoughts held in reserve and four Cöln class hulls up for modification.

Now, in which way could the above König class battleships and Nassau class dreadnoughts be upgraded to improve their performance in the 1920s and 30s?

Couple ideas:
      - radar (should be obvious)
      - fire control for at least the main battery
      - modern 21-inch torpedo tubes with DM2A3/A4 in place of the old 450mm and 500mm TTs possibly
      - replacement of 8-8 batteries with surplus 40mm Bofors or 76mm OTO from stocks?
      - possibly RAM in place of some 15cm guns for better performance against the upcoming carrier thread

Interesting? Just'd like to bounce some ideas of your heads :))
      G3 and N3. 'Nuff said! :P

Comment

Originally posted by FluffyThoughts View Post
        Against the USN Montana class that would follow the Iowas?
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by FluffyThoughts View Post
          Leading to the Washington Naval Treaty...

Comment

Working...
          X