Cory Aquino, Philippine people power heroine, dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cory Aquino, Philippine people power heroine, dies

She "ousted one of the 20th Century's most corrupt dictators to become a global icon of democracy".

But after more than 20 years, Philippines still cannot lift itself from corruption and poverty.

1 Aug MANILA (Reuters) - Corazon Aquino of the Philippines, who ousted one of the 20th Century's most corrupt dictators to become a global icon of democracy, died on Saturday after a 16-month battle against colon cancer. She was 76. ...

Aquino, affectionately known as Cory, was president from 1986 to 1992. But she is best remembered, more than two decades after the fact, as the slim woman in yellow who led the "People Power" revolution that toppled dictator Ferdinand Marcos. ....

In events that gripped the world in 1986, up to 1 million people waving rosaries and flowers stopped Marcos' tanks advancing toward Aquino-backed army rebels.

When a bewildered Marcos and his wife Imelda fled the nation, it set a stirring precedent for dissidents everywhere, from South Africa to South America to Pakistan. ....

Aquino was a reluctant leader at the start, entering politics only after Benigno was killed at Manila airport on his return from political exile in the United States.

Accusing Marcos of ordering the murder, Aquino led protest marches, but was hesitant when elections were called in 1986.

What on earth do I know about being president?," she said before taking up the challenge to run against Marcos. Both candidates claimed victory in the election, but Marcos fled into exile when the army turned against him. ....
    Last edited by Merlin; 01 Aug 09,, 23:20.

I remember that period of time in the news. The Challenger had blown up. We had that covering a lot of the news. But as the impact of that story waned, her story was the next big one that moved in.

Comment

I recall........
      Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
        She "ousted one of the 20th Century's most corrupt dictators to become a global icon of democracy".

But after more than 20 years, Philippines still cannot lift itself from corruption and poverty.

I was in high school studying revolutions when Marcos fell, so we paid quite a bit of attention to it.

I think that Corazon Aquino was probably a nice lady who had some good intentions. She suffered terribly for her family's political involvement (I was briefly acquainted with a goddaughter of her murdered husband, Benigno). Unfortunately history may end up judging her as more Benazir Bhutto than Indira Gandhi. She fitted perfectly what outsiders wanted to see, but I'm not sure she achieved what she could or perhaps should have.

I would be curious to hear the perspective of any Phillippinos on the board.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I notice this quote from the link in the first post.

When a bewildered Marcos and his wife Imelda fled the nation, it set a stirring precedent for dissidents everywhere, from South Africa to South America to Pakistan. ....
          This 1986 'people power revolution' does give inspiration to quite a few dictator-toppling revolutions. The collapse of the USSR was after this. Was Poland before or after this?

Edit: The collapse of the Poland regime was after 1986.
          Last edited by Merlin; 02 Aug 09,, 04:41.

Comment

Working...
          X