The Best Show On TV: The Venture Brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Show On TV: The Venture Brothers

As some of you are probably aware, my favorite show on TV is Adult Swim's The Venture Brothers.

A sadistically hilarious take on the cartoons of the 60's through the 90's, most especially Hanna-Barbera Productions and their Jonny Quest series.

"It chronicles the adventures of two dopey yet well-meaning teenage boys, Hank and Dean Venture; their emotionally insecure, ethically challenged super-scientist father Dr. Thaddeus "Rusty" Venture; the family bodyguard, secret agent Brock Samson; and the family's arch-nemesis, The Monarch"

But what I love the most about the show, is that the creator, writer and multi-character voice actor, Jackson Publick, is truly a class act. He keeps a blog on The Live Journal and regularly responds to fan's questions and comments. I've thrown out questions twice now and both times he's responded to me rather quickly. In my book that's just too cool for words.

A word of caution though: The series has a story arc, so jumping right in the middle of the series will cause you to think "OK, I feel a little lost here".

Here's a perfect example of the show's twistedness: A "mystery solving gang" and their talking dog stops outside the Venture family compound...notice anything familiar about them?

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Don't suppose any of it's on Hulu.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
      Don't suppose any of it's on Hulu.
      No, but it is on Adult Swim Fix.com

Though at the moment the episode rotation is in the 2nd Season, so while you can obviously watch several episodes, you might be a touch lost for a bit.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I own all the DVDs, it is an amazing show. when does the new season start cant wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Doomarias View Post
          I own all the DVDs, it is an amazing show. when does the new season start cant wait.
          Season Four has been "cleft in twain" according to Jackson Publick.

The first 8 eps should start in November...I hope.
          The final 8 eps should start in June 2010

I believe they've already been picked up for a 5th season, but I can't swear to it.

Comment

Go Team Venture!

-dale

Comment

I love this show. The episode with the "Fantastic Four" was particularly funny.

Comment

"Escape to the House of Mummies (Part 2)" was funny on a lot of levels, I think the funniest part is that they never made Part 1! (Remember catching the second part of a two-part episode when you were a kid, and NEVER getting to see the first one?)

The whole series is like that, funny on a lot of levels. The voice acting for instance. I first saw it at a bar down the street. The bartender on Sunday nights would have Adult Swim on with the sound turned down and subtitles on. Dr. Girlfriend was pretty for a cartoon lady untill I saw an episode with the sound. Heh. And Henchman #24 with the Ray Romano voice and look when they are out of henchman costume... Don't know why it's funny but it is... And Pat Warburton (Joe Swanson; Family Guy. The Tick; The Tick!) as Brock Samson is really hilarious too...

I'd say if you are unfamiliar with the show to start at the beginning and work from there, although the episodes really are stand-alones in their own right, you get more of the running gags if you start with the first one...

Ah, glad I found this one, something I can comment on without looking completely moronic...

Comment

I do a great Dr. Girlfriend voice. Creeps out my friends.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                    I do a great Dr. Girlfriend voice. Creeps out my friends.

-dale
                    I love doing Doctor Girlfriend's voice! :))

Especially this line:

She's in the ladies bathroom at a restaurant and two girls are staring at her.

One of them says "Can I ask you a question?"

An exasperated Doctor Girlfriend sighs and says "Yes I belong in here, I just have a deep voice!"

This is the only good clip on YouTube with her in it. It's from the first season so the animation isn't as good as seasons 2 and 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Doomarias View Post
                      Same here!! :):)

Comment

"Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

You don't like the Zep?

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                            As some of you are probably aware, my favorite show on TV is Adult Swim's The Venture Brothers.

A sadistically hilarious take on the cartoons of the 60's through the 90's, most especially Hanna-Barbera Productions and their Jonny Quest series.

"It chronicles the adventures of two dopey yet well-meaning teenage boys, Hank and Dean Venture; their emotionally insecure, ethically challenged super-scientist father Dr. Thaddeus "Rusty" Venture; the family bodyguard, secret agent Brock Samson; and the family's arch-nemesis, The Monarch"

But what I love the most about the show, is that the creator, writer and multi-character voice actor, Jackson Publick, is truly a class act. He keeps a blog on The Live Journal and regularly responds to fan's questions and comments. I've thrown out questions twice now and both times he's responded to me rather quickly. In my book that's just too cool for words.

A word of caution though: The series has a story arc, so jumping right in the middle of the series will cause you to think "OK, I feel a little lost here".

Here's a perfect example of the show's twistedness: A "mystery solving gang" and their talking dog stops outside the Venture family compound...notice anything familiar about them?
                            Cartoons up until late sixties were good. Then the boomer cynicism took over. IMO, 50's was the golden age of American cartoons.

Hmmm, I must check this show. Thanks for posting the info.

Ren and Stimpy(my avatar) was the last great cartoon series for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              One of the top scenes ever!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X