X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rpt: Vick decision reached

Rpt: Vick can sign, must sit four - Sportsnet.ca

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

RICHMOND, Va. -- Michael Vick might soon discover just who's interested in giving him a second chance.

Two people familiar with the meeting confirmed NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Vick, agent Joel Segal and two other members of the suspended quarterback's team met Wednesday at a security firm in New Jersey. The two people requested anonymity because the league hasn't acknowledged the meeting.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to confirm the meeting when contacted by The Associated Press on Thursday and insisted no decisions on Vick's future have been made.

"This is a serious matter," Aiello said in an email. "We are engaging in a careful and thoughtful process."

ESPN reported on its website Thursday night that sometime next week Goodell is expected to announce a conditional reinstatement of Vick, which would allow Vick to go to training camp if he signed with a team but that could also include a four-game suspension.

Goodell told the AP on Tuesday, a day after Vick was released from federal custody, that he hoped to make a decision "in the near future."

Goodell suspended Vick indefinitely in August 2007 after the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback admitted bankrolling the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation. Goodell has said Vick must show remorse and signs that he has changed before he would consider reinstating him.

SI.com first reported the meeting at Buckley Petersen Global Inc. in Allendale.
    Guys and our gentlemen that hunt or have hunted, I'd really like your view on this.

I was never a fan of Michael Vick's, but I'm glad this saga is over and I'm glad he's back. He's committed the crime and he's done his time, and now he's got 4 more games of suspension and he's back in the NFL baby.

Do you think animal rights groups and animal lover fans should leave him alone now?

Speculation

I wonder how much I can get for my Michael Vick shoes? I bought a pair cheap when he was arrested.;)
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

IMO, The man served his time and lost countless millions. I certainly dont agree with what he was a part of since I'm a dog owner but he has paid the price. Leave him be and allow him to return to football unmolested.

*Just think of all those before him that broke laws and got off with a high priced lawyer. He atleast served his time and lost countless sponsorships. Move on to the idiots being charged with gun crimes.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        IMO, The man served his time and lost countless millions. I certainly dont agree with what he was a part of since I'm a dog owner but he has paid the price. Leave him be and allow him to return to football unmolested.

*Just think of all those before him that broke laws and got off with a high priced lawyer. He atleast served his time and lost countless sponsorships. Move on to the idiots being charged with gun crimes.
        Exactly. Well said Dreadnought.

I hope he bounces back and has a great season, then people will just forget. If he bombs, I doubt he'll be resigned again the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
          Rpt: Vick can sign, must sit four - Sportsnet.ca

Guys and our gentlemen that hunt or have hunted, I'd really like your view on this.

I was never a fan of Michael Vick's, but I'm glad this saga is over and I'm glad he's back. He's committed the crime and he's done his time, and now he's got 4 more games of suspension and he's back in the NFL baby.

Do you think animal rights groups and animal lover fans should leave him alone now?
          I never understood why he went to prison in the first place, but then I don't own any animals. I knew animal lovers who told me straight-faced that he should have been given the death penalty. Michael Vick gets 2.5 years for killing (intentionally) a dog, while Donte Stallworth served less than a month for manslaughter, ridiculous.

I suppose the difference was in their initial reactions after they were caught; Stallworth showed contrition and Vick lied.

Anyway enough is enough and he should be allowed to play, if my Seahawks pick him up I'll root for him, if e plays against my team I'll root against him same as any other player.

Comment

Exactly man, just because some people like dogs more than they like other animals, its a grave sin what he did. No doubt he should've been punished, but this was mad severe.

Terrel Owens being Terrel Owens?

T.O. thinks Goodell 'unfair' to Vick

PITTSFORD, N.Y. (AP) -- Terrell Owens wants Michael Vick to be reinstated immediately by the NFL, and said any extension of the quarterback's suspension would be similar to "kicking a dead horse."

Speaking after the Buffalo Bills training camp practice Sunday morning, the star receiver referred to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's handling of Vick's status as "unfair." Owens also lobbied to have more of the league's high-profile players voicing their opinion in support of Vick and asked the NFL Players Association to become more involved.

"I think he's done the time for what he's done. I don't think it's really fair for him to be suspended four more games," Owens said, referring to reports that the NFL is considering to further punish Vick. "It's almost like kicking a dead horse in the ground. ... The guy's already suffered so much. And to add a four-game suspension on a two-year prison sentence, that's ridiculous."

Vick met with Goodell this week but has yet to learn when he will be allowed to resume his NFL career. The former Falcons star was suspended indefinitely in August 2007 after he admitted bankrolling a dogfighting operation.

Vick has served a 23-month federal sentence and was freed from home confinement on July 20. He must still serve three years' probation.

Owens said Vick deserves a second chance.

"Why shouldn't he? I mean, there's a lot more guys around the league that have done far more worst things than that and gotten second chances," Owens said.

Owens said he would welcome Vick as a teammate.

"Michael Vick is a guy that really hasn't any character issues besides what he got a prison sentence for, so why not?" he said.

Bills safety George Wilson, the team's NFLPA representative, agreed with Owens.

"How do you bring a man out of suspension and then suspend him again? I mean, he's paid his debt," Wilson said. "I think you just continue to hold him down by bringing him back and then suspend him."

Wilson said he intends to discuss Vick's status with Owens and other teammates to determine whether to bring the Bills players' position to the union.

"We'll see where it goes, but I think Terrell is right in stating his position," Wilson said. "This is an instance where perhaps our players association needs to try to get involved."

The union's position has been that it will support Vick on a personal level until Goodell decides how to proceed. NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith met with Vick this past week, and intends to discuss the player's status with Goodell.

The Bills have declined comment on discussing Vick.
            Hmmm, do you think there's more to this? Maybe by him doing all this that Vick might sign with Buffalo? Or is Terrel really being passionate? Cuz this is exactly what Buffalo needs, they got Owens, imagine VIck on their team? Forget losing money, they'll be a dharn good team to pay to watch!

Comment

T.O. got bounced from another team. Gee, I wonder why that might be?

A shame, dam good athlete but he cant seem to keep his mouth shut, its no wonder why he's been bounced from team to team. And now the Bills?

Any one care to wager how long he lasts on the Bills before they've heard enough?

Comment

TO probably wants the same treatment if he was to be in a similar situation...perhaps a bit of forecasting by TO?
                You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

hahaha, he's crazy isn't he? I don't know whats wrong with the guy, and now he's all over the t.v. He was on some celebrity competition show with a bunch of actors and athletes, and now he's coming out with his own show.

Check this out, I was surprised, but Joanna Kurpa gave it to him:

Comment

Michael Vick signs with Philidelphia Eagles. Good choice bad choice? I heard he can play other positions than just the QB, hopefully he'll get to start along with McNabb. But its said that he'll just be the backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                      Michael Vick signs with Philidelphia Eagles. Good choice bad choice? I heard he can play other positions than just the QB, hopefully he'll get to start along with McNabb. But its said that he'll just be the backup.
                      *IMO A second chance. I think he deserves it aside from his most recent past. We shall see how much he remembers when he plays Saturday night.
                      As far as being a back up he's been to the ProBowl twice as QB.;)

Comment

He's a gifted player no doubt. I hope this guy has a very good year or two years, and then I truly believe everyone will move on. Philli was a good spot because of the fans, if he plays well, the fans will stick by him and they will heckle the PETA followers out of the building ;)

Comment

Vick is nightmare for defenses, but in reality running QBs never really help teams that much. Vick is a stellar ballplayer, who probably didn't lose a lot of ability in Leavenworth b/c the prison let him throw passes everyday during recreation hour at the prison.

He'll attract the crowds. The Eagles will be on TV. McNabb will get hurt again like he has for the past four seasons. Vick will play and the Eagles will be on TV for it. Good business move.
                          America doesn't deserve its military

-Emma Sky

Comment

Originally posted by osage18 View Post
                            Vick is nightmare for defenses, but in reality running QBs never really help teams that much. Vick is a stellar ballplayer, who probably didn't lose a lot of ability in Leavenworth b/c the prison let him throw passes everyday during recreation hour at the prison.

He'll attract the crowds. The Eagles will be on TV. McNabb will get hurt again like he has for the past four seasons. Vick will play and the Eagles will be on TV for it. Good business move.
                            Wow, I did not know that. He should be good to go then. Hopefully he'll be allowed to play before the 6th game, because it is still pending.

Did you catch the owner of the Eagle's press conference? Pretty serious dude

Comment

Working...
                            X