Missiles and ranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missiles and ranking

What anti-ship missile is the best according to you?
    Harpoon
    31.51%
    Exocet
    5.48%
    Brahmos (PJ 10)
    45.21%
    SS-N-27 Klub
    17.81%
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

Maybe more missiles should be on the list?

Anyway, here is a thread from a different forum discussing Russian missiles compared to western missiles, and defense against those missiles. The thread is many pages long, but has a lot of information, and some of those people (esp Jonesy) has a lot of knowledge about the field:
    Here is the thread

Orca

Comment

Originally posted by Europeanarmy
      What anti-ship missile is the best according to you?
      klub as it is working at present.

in two years time it will be brahmos.supersonic speed. no defence against it.

Comment

"no defence against it."

LOL....well then i guess the USN should just scrap it's entire fleet of surface combatants then?

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
          "no defence against it."

LOL....well then i guess the USN should just scrap it's entire fleet of surface combatants then?

Well the whole point of the LCS is to be the disposable hull that actually gets within 200 miles of a coast... so maybe!

Comment

"no defence against it."

USN will not have any problems with it. Provided it can detect the ships armed with brahmos mor than 500kms away and blow it off before the missiles can be fires. Rite now the sub launched version /air launched ones are not ready, only the land launched and ship launched and being induced.

Comment

ESSM and RAM both exist specifically because of missiles like Brahmos.

The threat hasn't even finished fielding Brahmos, and the USN has already identified the weakness, designed and tested the neccesary defensive systems, and integegrated and fielded them in the fleet.

The RIM-162 ESSM and RIM-116 RAM are the USNs answer to Brahmos, Sunburn, and all the other worldbeater missiles around the world.

A single Arliegh Burke DDG Aegis guided missile destroyer can embark as many as 360 Mach 4+ 60g ESSM missiles in it's VLS cells, and perform as many as 16 simultaneous intercepts with the state of the art medium range ESSM and Mk7 Aegis system. ESSM was designed from the ground up as a missile killer, as was RAM.

Brahmos and Sunburn are still a threat, but the USN has made sure it's a threat they're fully prepared to deal with.

PS: Both ESSM and Block1 RAM have an anti-ship/anti-surface capability as well.
              Last edited by Bill; 09 Apr 05,, 08:11.

Comment

Sniper is correct. But thats just the "hard kill" part. The USN has a plethora of "soft kill" systems.

Plus the fact that the USNs doctrine is to "kill the shooter" before he fires. And they have the capability to do that. And/or screw up their targeting that which isnt to do easy in the first place.

But what do I know Im just a fork-lift driver. LOL

Yup. And Christ was only a carpenter. LOL

Bring it on I say. The world apparently needs yet another lesson.

And we may be soft but we arent yet melting. LOL

Notice the small scratches the USn has received via AshM, mines or small boat attacks have been acknowledged and rectified accordlingly. Notice again that the USN pays attention and changes to situations and threats.

Steeped in tradition yes but ever-changing with no fear as an institution irregardless of any individual or individuals who from time to time hold power.

Its amazing to me how critical of the USN I have been in my life(even after serving for four years) and somehow you people force me to defend the institution.

Boggles my mind. LOL

GOD bless Snow.

Comment

Brahmos is definitely the best.

it can be fired from large trucks and the Su-30, in addition to warships.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny555Biotch
                    Brahmos is definitely the best.

it can be fired from large trucks and the Su-30, in addition to warships.
                    the SU30MKI version is 2 years away from tests.

Comment

How about the Sunburn?

Comment

A single Arliegh Burke DDG Aegis guided missile destroyer can embark as many as 360 Mach 4+ 60g ESSM missiles in it's VLS cells, and perform as many as 16 simultaneous intercepts with the state of the art medium range ESSM and Mk7 Aegis system. ESSM was designed from the ground up as a missile killer, as was RAM.
                        Imagine how many Iranian A300s you could shoot down with that equipment...
                        Last edited by barrowaj; 26 May 05,, 05:57.

Comment

Hey now, that was right after the Stark was attacked.

The captain was understandably jumpy when that jet ignored all attempts at comms, didn't emmit any IFF sqauk, and just kept closing in.

Seriously, if you had a 1bn dollar asset and the lives of 400 of your countrymen in your charge at that very moment, with the same info as that captain...are you telling me you wouldn't have done the same thing?

I sure would've.

Comment

Hey now, that was right after the Stark was attacked.

The captain was understandably jumpy when that jet ignored all attempts at comms, didn't emmit any IFF sqauk, and just kept closing in.

Seriously, if you had a 1bn dollar asset and the lives of 400 of your countrymen in your charge at that very moment, with the same info as that captain...are you telling me you wouldn't have done the same thing?

I sure would've.
                            I would have too. I've read a little bit about the event, and I understand that they thought the plane was an F-14. But I didn't know that an F-14 could pose a threat to the ship. Can it carry anti-shipping missiles, and did the Iranians have any? It just seems like the captain was using brash judgement. How the hell could the Aegis computer system misidentify an A300 for an F-14 anyway? It should have had a feature that listed the certainty of the target. I'm sure it does now at least.

Comment

The A300 and the F-14 apparently have a very similar RCS, so give a very similar return. Radar just doesn't work they way most people think it does. The Iranians on previous occasions had been using commercial flight lanes to attack Iraqi shipping as well.

The real question is, why did the A300 not have it's IFF gear activated, and why did it ignore all attempts at COMMS?

The AIM-54 Phoenix missile and the AIM-7 missile are both anti-ship capable, and the F-14 has always been able to carry bombs.

Comment

Working...
                              X