Fire Mission!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Mission!!!!

In my time with Marine artillery, nothing would get my adrenaline flowing more than watching a gun crew go from smoking and joking (or playing PS3's) to running to their guns, getting them laid, and sending rounds down range in what seemed like 30 seconds (in the time for me to get my flak and Kevlar on for a measurement of time)...

My question: was there a time requirement for a turret, or gun crew, to go from nothing (perhaps with crewmen elsewhere on the ship) to getting to their guns, getting them loaded and sending them downrange?

Also was there a watch rotation for a gun crew to standby at their station?

A lengthy process to explain, but we can try to walk through it as best we can if you would like.:)

A major factor is what condition the ship is set at. During the Gulf war onboard the battleships Fire Missions were sometimes conducted without GQ being set since they were not under fire and not facing another ship on the water. It was more methodical shooting then heavy broadsides. These are the questions we must first ask in attempt to explain the varying circumstances and posture of the ship at the time.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 17 Jul 09,, 16:00.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
      A lengthy process to explain, but we can try to walk through it as best we can if you would like.:)

A major factor is what condition the ship is set at. During the Gulf war onboard the battleships Fire Missions were sometimes conducted without GQ being set since they were not under fire and not facing another ship on the water. It was more methodical shooting then heavy broadsides. These are the questions we must first ask in attempt to explain the varying circumstances and posture of the ship at the time.
      okay let's take Desert Storm, or any situation
      with minimal threat to the ship. But routine calls for fire from the field.

Comment

Originally posted by DocHayes View Post
        okay let's take Desert Storm, or any situation
        with minimal threat to the ship. But routine calls for fire from the field.
        Ok, But please do note this may not be "by the book" as many operations were changed (divisions reduced and combined with others) and updated during the reactivation period from the last time they (New Jersey) was in service for her Vietnam Tour 68-69. Even the bullseyes changed to the updated ones.

Comment

Minimal threat. (This is just a rough go at it)

Call for Gunfire support will come into the CEC (Combat Engagement Center) the TAO (Tactical Actions Officer) in coms with OOD (Officer of the Deck) will set ships condition, engineering and helm reporting such to the Captain which is more then likely in route to one of various locations (CEC,CIC,Gun Plot or perhaps even the bridge.). At which point you have men heading from duty station into the Fire Control directors, approximately 5-7 men in each (Spots 1 on mainmast, Spot 2 aft mast) and same for Spot 3 (upper conning tower station), All stations reporting to Gun Plot when manned, Gun Plot will relay all information between Spots and to CEC which will determine which Turret or Turrets will come online and do the shooting.
          Last edited by Dreadnought; 17 Jul 09,, 18:21.

Comment

Turret:Gunroom proper.
            Turret manning, First preps, Entering gunroom proper. Turret Captain immediatley will remove all wrist watches, pocket knives, lighters, matches (anything that can produce a spark inside the turret) from gun crews and lock them in a red lockbox mounted at gunroom hatch opening. Hatch closing,
            Crews in gunwhales, Gunroom bulkheads closing and sealing, Officers at station. Power coming online through flipping the rotary "j" switches for turret train elevation hydraulics, motors and power reciever to auxilluries such as air compressor and blowers. Powder train and Projectile hoist powered up.

Machinery Pan: Manned by partial gun crew and electricians mates. Turret training pins (2) (prevent turret movement when not in service) are pulled allowing free train of turret movement and recieving order stations manned. All motors and hydraulics powered up and reporting to turret Captain.
            Last edited by Dreadnought; 17 Jul 09,, 18:29.

Comment

Shell decks: Shell decks manned and rotational motors powered up, Chosen shells parbuckled via rope and gypsie capstans to hoist position aided by rotating the entire shell deck. Position safety switch thrown. Shell is free to be hoisted to gun room proper. Following shells to be lined up behind one at a time albeit secured by either rope or chain hangar.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 17 Jul 09,, 19:16.

Comment

Magazine:
                Mags are manned and secured. Powder canisters opened via wrench (non sparking ofcoarse) and bags rolled down a very long brass table that leads to the flashtight scuttles. One bag at a time is passed through the rotating flashtight scuttles and loaded into the powder elevators. Only one full charge per gun (6,-110 lb bags) are allowed to be outside the magazine at one time. Indicator lights tell the powder elevator operator that it is full of powder and waiting.
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 17 Jul 09,, 19:17.

Comment

Guns:
                  Turret Captain's/Officers (2) indicator panels (15 lights, 5 for each gun) light the bottom two lights for each gun indicating that the turret is recieving its trane and elevation orders from gun plot. It is moving at this time, Turret Captain gives gun captain the order to "Load powder train, Load gun", Before the shell can come up the hoist a safety switch must be thrown at the hoist station on the shell deck (this lights another light on the Turret Officers indicator panel) Before the powder hoist can deliver its load a safety must also be thrown illuminating another light on the indicator panel. Gun captain opens breech, clips it, signals "Bore clear" and inspect/whipe mushroom head. Primer man in gunwhales opens the firing lock and inserts a Mk.15 primer, closes the firing lock and removes himself from the platform below the gun. The spanning tray is lowered and the shell rammed into the breech, rammer retracted, powder elevator door opens and (3) bags are dispensed, two are hand moved into the breech and one stays in spanning tray, elevator door opens again and three more bags are dispensed, now all (4) bags in spanning tray are rammed into the breech, the breech pedal depressed to unlock it and it is raised, closed and secured by a clockwise 3/4 turn. The last saftey swich is thrown and final indicator light lit on turret Captains indicator board. Turret (s) reports to CEC: Turret #, guns loaded, breech closed aye aye. Once this happens a countdown ensues from 5-0, gun plot pulls the salvo warning key and the firing key (s) depending how many guns are lined up. The gun (s) fire, recoil 44-48 inches, and are pulled back to battery positon by use of hydraulic cyliners mounted on the yoke (or counterbalance) for the gun at which time indicating lights on the bulkhead illuminate indicating to the Turret Captain/Ofiicer the gun has been pulled back to battery position. During this time approximately 60 knots of air is blown through the barrel to expel any cinders/embers or remains of the powder bags and the gun automatically returns to +5 degrees loading position. The cycle repeats itself.
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 17 Jul 09,, 20:02.

Comment

Please do note this is rough run through.

The firing cycle for the Iowas permits for one round every thirty seconds, Pending on the length of time alloted to the Fire Support call will determine if and when they will start changing out men in the magazines and shell decks.

*During all of this time there is numerous communications between gun plot, all Fire control directors, CEC and the Turret(s).

*By writing this it seems like a long time but in reality it is a very short amount of time. From the beginning its a matter of short minutes, Once warmed up it becomes more like a matter of 30-45 seconds/ I hope this helps answer your question.:)

*Please do keep in mind that what is written up above can be shortened depending on the disposition of the Turret,
                    Basically, you have 3 dispositions, Auto, Auto indicating, and Local control or 3 different ways of controlling the turret and limiting your communications loop. In addition to that the guns can be fired from up to 5 locations aboard. These include the turrets themselves, Fire control directors, Gun plot, Aft plot and on the Main mast station.
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 17 Jul 09,, 19:31.

Comment

Great stuff, I appreciated it and I didnt even ask the question! Sure fleshes out this animation of a British 15-inch Mark 1!
                      Attached Files
                      You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Dread or anyone else

A follow on to this discussion.

On a Burke or Tico with a Mk 45 5"/54, since those are automated systems, how dose the process go?
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          A follow on to this discussion.

On a Burke or Tico with a Mk 45 5"/54, since those are automated systems, how dose the process go?
                          *I have seen them upclose and have seen them tested before but have never had the chance to see their complete automated sequence. (I would very much like too)
                          I can imagine though that it has to be along the lines of the Des Moines class auto 8" sequence but that was much before their time and I'm sure things have changed/improved since those days.

*Sorry Albany but a question I cannot answer.

Comment

It does answer some of what i asked and more. I was more curious as to whether crews were standing by at their station, waiting for a fire mission at this threat level. Or if some form of rotating watch was set up to keep a turret(s) at the ready.

Comment

Originally posted by DocHayes View Post
                              It does answer some of what i asked and more. I was more curious as to whether crews were standing by at their station, waiting for a fire mission at this threat level. Or if some form of rotating watch was set up to keep a turret(s) at the ready.
                              If threat level is raised chances are the gun crews standing watch would more then likley be within the area of the turrets either awaiting that call or perhaps preliminary maintenance on the guns and or accompanying equipment. I would be inclined to believe the rotating watch would be in effect once in theater 4 on 4 off.

Comment

Working...
                              X