Iowa Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa Class

I know this question perrtains to alot of other threads in here but i'd like to ask the question.

"IF" NC was to engage the US, or a US allied country such as Japan in War, or.. If China had decided to invade Taiwan and such a move dragged the US into a Naval Conflict, would the US look at reinstating the Iowa Class Battleships?

And if they did, how long would it take for them to be battle ready in conjunction with the length of time such a conflict would last.

Captcav

Originally posted by Timcav View Post
    I know this question perrtains to alot of other threads in here but i'd like to ask the question.

"IF" NC was to engage the US, or a US allied country such as Japan in War, or.. If China had decided to invade Taiwan and such a move dragged the US into a Naval Conflict, would the US look at reinstating the Iowa Class Battleships?

And if they did, how long would it take for them to be battle ready in conjunction with the length of time such a conflict would last.

Captcav
    I know you are new on this board and deserve some sort of answer.

I am tempted to answer as I was the structural project leader and Configuration Manager for their reactivations AND project leader for their inactivations.

In truth, I don't think we will ever see a true Battleship type of ship at sea ever again.

But every time I try to write something up, even in generalities rather than detail, my blood pressure goes up. I also become very accusatory of certain areas of concern.

So, I'll just shut up.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Rusty,

I appreciate your response and will ask no more of it. I have the measured and heart felt answer I was looking for.

Regards,

Captcav
      Last edited by Timcav; 13 Jul 09,, 03:36.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
        But every time I try to write something up, even in generalities rather than detail, my blood pressure goes up.
        When are you publishing that book? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
          When are you publishing that book? ;)
          I FINALLY got everything converted to PDF. Sort of. I plan to have it published as a "Print on Demand" book through Amazon. What gave me heartache was the size of 7x10. I wanted at least 8x10 but they will only do a little over 400 pages in that size. In 7x10 it runs 700 pages. It would be 3 or 4 pages less but the PDF program I have won't delete blank pages.

I will be registering it tomorrow and submitting it for printing. Wish me luck.

It has taken a lot of work over several years and I have a lot of people to thank for their help, most of all Ytlas who provided lots of photographs and a detailed account of what the dangers are in removing asbestos insulation. He also provided the full list of every ship ever dry docked at the shipyard and even then it took both of us quite some time to correct a number of dockings as they had the wrong dates or the ship's name was spelled wrong.
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry. I don't know why the copy of the book cover did not print. But too tired to figure it out now.

Comment

Sign me up for a copy. :)
              Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Does it cost you anything to make it available via Kindle? I get everything else that way these days.

Comment

Good luck Mr. L. as soon as I see it I'm grabbling a copy.;)
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

But every time I try to write something up, even in generalities rather than detail, my blood pressure goes up. I also become very accusatory of certain areas of concern.

*No need to explain Mr. L. the ships are too politicallly in-correct for this day and age and besides Congress can find a billion other ways to piss away any kind of funding as they have so brilliantly shown in the past and present.

Although, it would be a sight for one to be refit and put into service for a world cruise/show the flag tour and perhaps even carry Mr. Obama and entourage aboard such as many moons ago long before the advent of Air Force One. Let him earn his sea legs.:))
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

It has taken a lot of work over several years and I have a lot of people to thank for their help, most of all Ytlas who provided lots of photographs and a detailed account of what the dangers are in removing asbestos insulation. He also provided the full list of every ship ever dry docked at the shipyard and even then it took both of us quite some time to correct a number of dockings as they had the wrong dates or the ship's name was spelled wrong.

Gee whiz, you left out that I reformatted the 3 Apprentice Lists and merged them into one list. You going to hand deliver the autographed copy?

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                        Gee whiz, you left out that I reformatted the 3 Apprentice Lists and merged them into one list. You going to hand deliver the autographed copy?
                        Sorry. It was late when I wrote that and we've been having some family disagreements lately.

Actually, the list of graduate Apprentices was the hardest one to resize to 7x10 and get a decent transfer to PDF. It still comes out to 3 extra blank pages that I haven't figured out how to delete.

C'mon out to our shipyard reunion picnic and (hopefully) I'll have your copy ready for you.

Comment

C'mon out to our shipyard reunion picnic and (hopefully) I'll have your copy ready for you.
                          I've been thinking of making my first shipyard picnic but no one from my shop ever comes out. The good ones are gone gone. I've seen the pictures of the regulars to the picnic and I might talk with a few of them but then again it seems like such a waste to drive down there, pay $7 to get into the park just to stay for about half an hour.

I could put a display together but I'd have to stay late to collect it or I could trust someone to take care of it so I could retrieve it later. (Like I could really get it back from a former yardbird). :)

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking autographed copies for the WAB crew are in order :))
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                              Yeah, I'm thinking autographed copies for the WAB crew are in order :))
                              Wow, sounds like you're going to be footing the bill for the book for the WAB crew. Who is on the "Crew?"

Comment

Working...
                              X