Prisoners on run cannot be named 'due to privacy rights'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prisoners on run cannot be named 'due to privacy rights'

Its got to be a joke. Right?????? You Brits cannot be this P.C. crazy.

Prisoners on run cannot be named 'due to privacy rights' - Telegraph

Prisoners on run cannot be named 'due to privacy rights'
    Prisoners on the run from Holleseley Bay prison cannot be identified because it would breach their rights to privacy, the Ministry of Justice has said.

By Tom Whitehead, Home Affairs Editor
    Published: 2:52PM BST 03 Jul 2009

Civil servants have refused to name inmates who have fled prison even though individual police forces will often identify them if they pose a risk to the public.

They say releasing their names would breach obligations under the Data Protection Act.

It echoes a row in 2007 when Derbyshire Police refused to release pictures of two escaped murderers.

The latest development emerged in response to Freedom Of Information requests to name inmates on the run rom the prison near Woodbridge, Suffolk.

The open prison which has sea views and once held Tory peer Jeffrey Archer is known as Holiday Bay because of its easy-going regime.

The Ministry of Justice confirmed 39 prisoners had absconded from Hollesley Bay between January 1, 2007, to March 31, 2009.

It also provided a general list of crimes they were sentenced for and confirmed that 16 involved violence.

The offenders included nine robbers, two serving sentences for attempted robbery, one for wounding and four others for grievous bodily harm.

But the ministry refused to say how many - if any - had been recaptured, saying their identities had to be protected from third parties.

John Gummer, the Suffolk Coastal MP, said he was aghast at the decision and promised to raise the matter in parliament with Jack Straw, the Justice Secretary.

He said: "It's intolerable and entirely unacceptable. There is no sense in which a prisoner's identity is a private matter. In my view he sacrifices that when he becomes a prisoner.

"This annoys me very much indeed. We have gone mad if this is what we are doing.

"What I will be doing is putting down a question to the Justice Minister on Monday to ask for the information. I shall insist this is information that should be in the public domain.

"I think this will prove Hollesley Bay has ceased to be treated as an open prison in the historic way, but is now receiving prisoners who would not have been sent to it 10 years ago."

A Ministry of Justice spokesman said: "Whilst it is in the public interest to be aware of offenders who have escaped from custody as they may help in identifying the absconders thereby enabling the police to detain them; it is not in the public interest to prejudice any enquiries or operations the police may be conducting into apprehending the absconder.

"It is the general policy of the Ministry of Justice not to disclose, to a third party, personal information about another person.

"This is because the Ministry of Justice has obligations under the Data Protection Act and in law generally to protect this information."

In January 2007 Derbyshire Police refused to release pictures of two convicted murderers on the run from jail. Chief Constable David Coleman said Jason Croft and Michael Nixon posed "no risk'' and the force had to consider the Human Rights Act and data protection laws when asked to publish photographs. The force later denied human rights had been a factor.

If I ever get arrested...I might request a transfer to Britain.
    The greatest weapon is the truth

Comment

Two prisoners escaped jail today. They are presumed to be armed and dangerous. Due to privacy concerns, we cannot tell you their names. Suffice to say they are to be avoided. Please contact the authorities when you spot them.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

The way things are going, whomever turns in the runaways will be opening themselves up for a lawsuit.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

What great times we live in.
          sigpic

Comment

This goes to show just how insipient and asinine our 'Leaders' have become.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
              This goes to show just how insipient and asinine our 'Leaders' have become.
              Dont you mean , overpaid ,underhanded,rip off,sleazy,slimy , poxy,24 carrat,

WANKERS.;);)

Comment

Madness. (and I don't mean the nutty boys)
                sigpic

Comment

Why are we seeing all this stupidity from Britain? Is any NGO like Amnesty trying lobby for these or is it just part of the agenda of the current administration?
                  "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

It echoes a row in 2007 when Derbyshire Police refused to release pictures of two escaped murderers.

The open prison which has sea views and once held Tory peer Jeffrey Archer is known as Holiday Bay because of its easy-going regime.

The Ministry of Justice confirmed 39 prisoners had absconded from Hollesley Bay between January 1, 2007, to March 31, 2009.

But the ministry refused to say how many - if any - had been recaptured, saying their identities had to be protected from third parties.
                    When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Tony
                      Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

If I silenced them in my own time. Would litttle Republic cry a tear? Teddy, Teddy, Teddy... I need a Teddy bear... No, really Rosie, if I did it as a citizen? Would you cry your crocodile tears?

Or would you give me a break as the poofer-pahnts that you are? I don't understand what I am saying either... At leats I understand your language... Let's kill the dissenters!

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                          Dont you mean , overpaid ,underhanded,rip off,sleazy,slimy , poxy,24 carrat,

WANKERS.;);)
                          Agreed, let the dogs hunt them, who needs a name.:));)
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Brilliant sales pitch for attracting more organized criminal immigrants to Blighty!

Nice one!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                              The way things are going, whomever turns in the runaways will be opening themselves up for a lawsuit.
                              -Officer, i rememver seeig an undidentified scary looking man at x location

Comment

Working...
                              X