Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarkozy: Burqas are 'not welcome' in France

Sarkozy says burqas are 'not welcome' in France

PARIS – President Nicolas Sarkozy lashed out Monday at the practice of wearing the Muslim burqa, insisting the full-body religious gown is a sign of the "debasement" of women and that it won't be welcome in France.

The French leader expressed support for a recent call by dozens of legislators to create a parliamentary commission to study a small but growing trend of wearing the full-body garment in France.

In the first presidential address in 136 years to a joint session of France's two houses of parliament, Sarkozy laid out his support for a ban even before the panel has been approved — braving critics who fear the issue is a marginal one and could stigmatize Muslims in France.

"In our country, we cannot accept that women be prisoners behind a screen, cut off from all social life, deprived of all identity," Sarkozy said to extended applause in a speech at the Chateau of Versailles southwest of Paris.

"The burqa is not a religious sign, it's a sign of subservience, a sign of debasement — I want to say it solemnly," he said. "It will not be welcome on the territory of the French Republic."

In France, the terms "burqa" and "niqab" often are used interchangeably. The former refers to a full-body covering worn largely in Afghanistan with only a mesh screen over the eyes, whereas the latter is a full-body veil, often in black, with slits for the eyes.

Later Monday, Sarkozy was expected to host a state dinner with Sheik Hamad Bin Jassem Al Thani of Qatar. Many women in the Persian Gulf state wear Islamic head coverings in public — whether while shopping or driving cars.

France enacted a law in 2004 banning the Islamic headscarf and other conspicuous religious symbols from public schools, sparking fierce debate at home and abroad. France has Western Europe's largest Muslim population, an estimated 5 million people.

A government spokesman said Friday that it would seek to set up a parliamentary commission that could propose legislation aimed at barring Muslim women from wearing the head-to-toe gowns outside the home.

The issue is highly divisive even within the government. France's junior minister for human rights, Rama Yade, said she was open to a ban if it is aimed at protecting women forced to wear the burqa.

But Immigration Minister Eric Besson said a ban would only "create tensions."

A leading French Muslim group warned against studying the burqa. Link
    France's stock just shot upwards in my book.

Notice how a "leading French Muslim group 'warned" against studying the burqa".

Or what? What will happen if France dares to "study" the burqa?

Meanwhile, back in the 21st Century...
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    France's stock just shot upwards in my book.

Notice how a "leading French Muslim group 'warned" against studying the burqa".

Or what? What will happen if France dares to "study" the burqa?

Meanwhile, back in the 21st Century...
    So you think its ok, if the government decides what people are to wear?

Comment

They may have gone a little too far there...The government is playing a bit the xenophobia card in these times of economic distress...

Comment

Yeah personally I'd like to see them go, but at the end of the day alot of women wear it out of choice, and it is a little too much government interference. I don't really know what business it is of the French government anyway

But it's not like all Muslim women wear that anyway

lol what will they do if they do ban it and they see someone walking in the street wearing it, throw them in jail? Brings fashion police to a whole new level haha

Comment

*gasp*

How insensitive of Sarko! I can't believe he would say such a xenophobic thing. We must understand and tolerate all cultures, no matter how different they are. There are no right and wrong here. Only differences in opinions.

"Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

ROFLZZZZZZ, how the hell is that a woman's choice to cover herself from head to toe (including face = burka)??!!

I can understand if she looked like my ex, thats scary but come on!!

I congratulate Sarkozy, I wish Canada adopted the same, but thank god I've only seen one burka clad woman in my entire life.

You have a personal choice where you end up, you don't necessarily have to move your a$$ to a country where you're clearly not welcomed dressed up as Ninja 24/7.

EDIT: I don't really mind the hoods some of the muslim girls wear, I think its exotic. But the whole face covering, not acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman817 View Post
              YOUR government implemented similar restrictions my friend.

Comment

Uh, why are you rolling your eyes? If Muslim countries can do it, why not other countries?

Pot. Kettle. Black.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                  YOUR government implemented similar restrictions my friend.
                  Yes, in in schools and universities not on the streets or at home, there is a big difference.

Comment

Yes, in in schools and universities not on the streets or at home, there is a big difference.
                    Here, and I'm pretty sure France is the same way, in your own home you're free to do anything you want; you can dress up as Wonderwoman and have 6 naked men all "exploring" each other in your home, but not so much outside your home.

Comment

R
                      EDIT: I don't really mind the hoods some of the muslim girls wear, I think its exotic. But the whole face covering, not acceptable.
                      And I don't like women wearing any clothes, but we live in an imperfect world....

Comment

And I don't like women wearing any clothes, but we live in an imperfect world....
                        haha touche!! That's why you gotta go to europe and enjoy the nude beaches :)):))

Comment

btw,

theres no such thing as "Burqa" in Islam...

as a Muslim i am against all kind of "Burqa"s and chadors, this is insulting human mind&intelligence and ignoring our difference from animals...
                          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

In the US, probably in France too, it's not only an issue of ID and safety but of respect.

Some cultures, be it islamic or middle eastern, respect women who cover their faces. It's a sign of modesty.

In the west, we don't cover our faces as a sign of respect to others. That's our culture.

Why can't people who move to the west respect the traditions and values of the west? You don't see Pelosi demand NOT to wear a hijab when she visited Jordan or Syria. You don't see western women demand NOT to wear a hijab in Turkey.

Respect goes both ways.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Here, and I'm pretty sure France is the same way, in your own home you're free to do anything you want; you can dress up as Wonderwoman and have 6 naked men all "exploring" each other in your home, but not so much outside your home.
                              Have it your way, but in my opionion France is not different from Iran, if it forces rules on clothing on its people.

Comment

Working...
                              X