Phuket Revolutionaries 'Plotted Overthrow of Vietnam':Behind the case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phuket Revolutionaries 'Plotted Overthrow of Vietnam':Behind the case

From Phuketwan about the arrest of Lawyer Le Cong Dinh.

Phuket Revolutionaries 'Plotted Overthrow of Vietnam' - Phuket Wan

Interesting thing:

Police allege that in March, Dinh went to Phuket in Thailand to meet with Binh and Tran Huynh Duy Thuc, another group member, to plan the overthrow of the Vietnamese government in 2010.

Dinh and several other subversives had written a document they called the ''New Constitution'' to replace the current constitution of Vietnam, the police said.
    What happens behind the arrest? Since 2007, there was an article written by an unknown predicting the collapse of Vietnam's economy in 2008 and then a major political change in 2010. This is the original link (in Vietnamese).

Yahoo! 360° - Trao ??i ?? nhìn vào chi?u sâu c?a cu?c s?ng! - M?T N?M SAU ??I H?I X - C?NH BÁO NH?NG NGUY C? QU?C GIA

The article has become partly true. First was the predict about Vietnamese stock market (see attached Figure 1 about VNIndex since May 2007). Second came the predict about VND exchange rate (see attached Figure 2 about VND/USD rate in the second half of 2008). The next predict was about a massive wave of withdrawing VND from bank to buy USD which would lead to collapsing of financial system. This hasn't happened but in 2008, Vietnamese government had to ban foreign currency exchange for a short time and to publicise more information about currency reserves. The last predict was about political change and action of Vietnamese goverment to reinforce their power in 2010.
    When the crisis occured, many opposition groups believed in this documentation and studied it carefully. There were calls for meeting and planning of next actions. The meeting in Phuket of Lawyer Dinh, in my opinion, was part of it. I think it is not like they had a concrete plan to overthrow current government but more like they tried to adapt to a new developing situation. Anyway, now he is arrested and accused with a serious crime. Let's see where the story will go.
    Attached Files
Working...
X