Student left permanently disabled in drunken fall sues school for £300,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student left permanently disabled in drunken fall sues school for £300,000

A Cambridge student is suing a top boarding school for £300,000 after a drunken fall from a window left her permanently disabled.

Amy St Johnston was a 16-year-old pupil at Oundle School when she got drunk at a Valentine's Ball and plunged from her first-floor room.

Miss St Johnston, now 20, claims the accident happened because teachers allowed a 'drinking culture' to form among senior pupils at the £22,800-a-year school.

Documents lodged at the High Court also state that the window she fell from failed to meet building regulations because it was able to open twelve inches - three times the legal limit of four inches.

The accident took place on February 26, 2005, when Miss St Johnston was in the lower sixth at the mixed independent school in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.

She claims she started drinking a 'combination of alcoholic drinks' with other pupils at 6pm as they prepared for the Valentine's Ball.

She continued to drink after returning to her boarding house, Wyatt House, after supper, before going out at 8pm.

A male teacher at the ball, who noticed Amy was 'under the influence of alcohol', said in an email two days later: 'As Amy went to the toilet she was bouncing off an architrave and didn't look totally in control of her body movements.'

He made her sit in a room for 20 minutes to 'cool off' but the writ alleges she returned to the ball as soon as he had left the room.

The same teacher is later claimed to have sent her back to her room under the supervision of another female pupil.

Miss St Johnston was given a breathalyser test by house mistress Sheila Hipple, which confirmed she had been drinking, and taken to her room.

At some point in the next ten minutes, the writ continues, she 'leaned so far out of the window that she fell out', plunging 15ft to the ground below.

Her spinal cord was damaged in the fall. She now suffers from partial paraplegia, which can lead to loss of limb movement and other complications.

Following the accident, Miss St Johnston, who walks with the help of crutches, left the 1,090-pupil school to continue her studies at a different sixth form.

She is now studying classics at Selwyn College, Cambridge.

Her writ claims the school was in loco parentis, and accuses it of failing in its duty of care by leaving Miss St Johnston in a first-floor room with a window not fitted with a restricter while it was 'known she was under the influence of alcohol'.

Documents lodged at the High Court state the window Amy fell from failed to meet building regulations

Miss St Johnston refused to discuss the case yesterday, saying: 'I don't really want to talk about it, I don't think I should - partly because of legal reasons but also it's just not something I want to discuss.'

Her father James, a 47-year-old millionaire financial sector worker for KNG Securities, and mother Emily, 44, also refused to comment last night at the family home in Woodbridge, near Ipswich.

However, a close friend of Miss St Johnston's said: 'She is a remarkable girl who has come through a lot with incredible determination.

'She has never lost sight of how lucky she is and how supportive her family have been.

'But she and her parents do feel she was failed by the school and that Oundle should bear some responsibility.'

Oundle's rules state that sixth formers can drink beer, cider and wine at social events sanctioned by a house master or mistress where a 'substantial meal' is served.

Since 1969, the British Standard Code of Practice recommends that limiters are fitted on windows above ground level restricting opening to less than four inches, the writ adds.

The 1998 Edition of Building Regulations also made it a requirement they are fitted with limiters or safety guards to prevent falls.

Charles Bush, headmaster of Oundle School, refused to discuss the case yesterday.

However, spokesman Liz Dillarstone said: 'The matter is being dealt with by the school's legal advisors and Mr Bush is not in a position to comment further.'
    Student left permanently disabled in drunken fall sues school for £300,000 | Mail Online

Thoughts ?
    When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Seems to me she,s after money to pay for her stupidity. When she was put to bed to sleep it off nobody told her to get up,and walk over to the window in an obvious attempt to scale the heights to party-land below. If you want to play....sometimes you've got to pay.

Comment

Oh Joy...

So we have another "victim" who cannot seem to take responsibility seriously

And a ding to the school to. Why did they think allowing underage drinking is a good idea?
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
        Thoughts ?
        I'm glad that the suing craze has crossed the pond and now Brits act like Americans. I bet they'll be fat and drive on the right side of the road in no time.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          I'm glad that the suing craze has crossed the pond and now Brits act like Americans. I bet they'll be fat and drive on the right side of the road in no time.
          People seem to think that litigation is some modern trend. The Angles and the Saxons spent most of their spare time suing each other for the tiniest perceived injury or slight. :) It's a trend that was carried with the English to America, not the other way around.

Imagine this: "This bastard dropped his shield on my foot when we were disembarking from the boat after arriving in Brittania to raid that monastery. I was therefore in a position in which I was unable to loot my full share of treasures from the monastery, and demand a half-share of his loot for having caused the injury to my foot..."

Yeah, stuff like that. Any stupid thing you could imagine.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Awesome!!!

Now I don't feel so bad living in this sue-happy society. :)
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
              Thoughts ?
              I hope like hell she doesn't get so much as a shilling and is ordered under threat of imprisonment to repay any and all legal fees associated with this mockery of a lawsuit.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Awesome!!!

Now I don't feel so bad living in this sue-happy society. :)
                Believe me, it's something ingrained in the Anglo-Saxon/English cultural DNA. The Germanic peoples were known to sit around and constantly sue each other for stupid stuff since they've been known to history. There was an specified amount that had to be paid for anything (the amount varied depending on social status) - such as knocking out a tooth, gouging an eye, cutting off a hand, or killing. It is a distinguishing cultural characteristic.

From Beowulf:
                Hrothgar, protector of the Danes, spoke:
                "Because of past kindness
                and deeds done, you have come,
                my friend Beowulf. By a killing
                your father brought about
                the greatest of feuds.
                He was the killer of Heatholaf
                among the Wylfings. The Geats,
                for fear of war, would not have him,
                so he sought us Danes
                over the rolling waves. . .
                back when I first ruled,
                as a youth, this wide kingdom
                of the Danish people,
                this treasure city of heroes.
                Heorogar was dead then,
                my older brother,
                the son of Healfdene.
                (He was better than I!)
                I paid money to settle
                your father's feud, sent
                treasure over the water's back
                to the Wylfings.
                Your father
                swore oaths to me.
                It is a sorrow for me
                to say to any man
                what Grendel has done--
                humiliations in Herot--
                hostile attacks on my hall warriors
                until they are diminished,
                swept away in Grendel's horror.
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

We already drive on the correct side of the road;)

Comment

Working...
                  X