PDA

View Full Version : Fish Stories

tankie
17 Apr 09,, 20:10
I know some people wont class angling as a sport ,, i certainly do , but im keen to know about the rod caught catches from WAB members around the world ! How ,where , what .

My biggest freshwater fish was a 22k catfish , and the largest seafish was a mere 8 pound ling:redface: beat that then , its a great sport ,especially fly fishing , for wily brown trout , or even small dace or roach ,,and i wish i could still take part .:(

Parihaka
17 Apr 09,, 21:28
Trout fishing. I have thrashed the water in the company of my more fanatical friends many times, and caught precisely one undersized trout.
Sea fishing, kawai, snapper, salmon at the river mouth, cod, trevally etc etc. Damned if I know what the largest fish I've caught is but it would have to be over 20kg. my current rod is a 15 foot surfcaster with a Penn reel which I used for the first time the other day.

tankie
17 Apr 09,, 21:37
Trout fishing. I have thrashed the water in the company of my more fanatical friends many times, and caught precisely one undersized trout.
Sea fishing, kawai, snapper, salmon at the river mouth, cod, trevally etc etc. Damned if I know what the largest fish I've caught is but it would have to be over 20kg. my current rod is a 15 foot surfcaster with a Penn reel which I used for the first time the other day.

Is that a penn multiplier Iian ?? i have heard that the trout fishing in N/Z is as good as the cod fishing in Norway , as is the salmon and sea trout , must admit ,i have had blanks as well , too bloody many i recall , but that was mainly off my boat in the North sea , which i sold , as the lack of fish didnt make it worthwhile ,,shame :( did you fly fish for the trout ??? A tip , buy a small spinning rod and try a 00 mepp spoon with a link swivel about 15 inches above the spoon , stops kinks ,, method is cast upstream and spinfast downstream in shallow tipply tumbling water , its always worked for me , and when you go home with a creel full o fish , ya can tell everyone you have sussed it out and then tell em about the BIG ones that got away :biggrin:;)

Officer of Engineers
17 Apr 09,, 21:41
My biggest fish ever was a 65lb blue shark. Tour out of Boston, can't remember the rod or reel but a 100 pound test with horse meat as bait. Took 40-50 minutes to land it ... or rather get it close enough to be shot by a 410 guage. My forearms triple in size and weak as a baby.

But that's not the most memorable part. During the day, we were hooking bull sharks and they jump. My buddy hooked one and it jumped into the boat ... and we jumped out of the boat.

tankie
17 Apr 09,, 21:45
My biggest fish ever was a 65lb blue shark. Tour out of Boston, can't remember the rod or reel but a 100 pound test with horse meat as bait. Took 40-50 minutes to land it ... or rather get it close enough to be shot by a 410 guage. My forearms triple in size and weak as a baby.

But that's not the most memorable part. During the day, we were hooking bull sharks and they jump. My buddy hooked one and it jumped into the boat ... and we jumped out of the boat.

:)):)) what , this from a Colonel of engineers ,, why didnt you rig up a latrine hole for it :)):))

Parihaka
17 Apr 09,, 23:00
Is that a penn multiplier Iian ??

Nah it's an accord mate. I thought it was a bit light for the rod but I was getting beautiful casts out of the combination. Yet to pull anything in on it of course so we'll see, but I have high hopes that I can do some kickass casting of the south Wairarapa coast this autumn. I need minimum 60 metres throw and this will do that with ease.
The trout fishing I did was all fly, lovely exercise but I never caught a damn thing. Where I grew up was close to the Waitaki and right on the coast so all my fishing involved surfcasting, boat and river fishing for salmon all of which we used various different spinning rods for.

Officer of Engineers
18 Apr 09,, 07:04
:)):)) what , this from a Colonel of engineers ,, why didnt you rig up a latrine hole for it :)):))Yeah, it was one of those oh sh!t moments when you realized that you jumped into shark infested waters that you've intentionally filled with bait.

tankie
18 Apr 09,, 10:41
Yeah, it was one of those oh sh!t moments when you realized that you jumped into shark infested waters that you've intentionally filled with bait.

:biggrin: bull sharks are renowned for human deaths as well , they actually swim up rivers and feed there ? but c,mon Col , jumping into their territory is a bit off ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, even for an engineer , :P

a tankie would have wrestled it to death , a reeeeeeeaaal proper tankie that is, and made suchi out of it :biggrin:

Hey Pari , i will send you some pics of fish i have caught , and ooooooohhhhhh yea , do ya wanna see my trophies :rolleyes::P

tankie
18 Apr 09,, 10:45
Nah it's an accord mate. I thought it was a bit light for the rod but I was getting beautiful casts out of the combination. Yet to pull anything in on it of course so we'll see, but I have high hopes that I can do some kickass casting of the south Wairarapa coast this autumn. I need minimum 60 metres throw and this will do that with ease.
The trout fishing I did was all fly, lovely exercise but I never caught a damn thing. Where I grew up was close to the Waitaki and right on the coast so all my fishing involved surfcasting, boat and river fishing for salmon all of which we used various different spinning rods for.

All this for one undersized trout ,, i bet you ate it as well :eek::))

Parihaka
18 Apr 09,, 11:15
All this for one undersized trout ,, i bet you ate it as well :eek::))
It did accidentally manage to fall into the fire just long enough to get tasty... Funny how that happens

tankie
18 Apr 09,, 11:27
It did accidentally manage to fall into the fire just long enough to get tasty... Funny how that happens

:biggrin:they seem to taste better younger ones dont they , a bit like veal , ;)

Shamus
08 Jun 09,, 03:20
All right ladies and gentlemen,I'm a person who loves to hear big(or small) fish stories with all the details(what kind of gear,what bait,weather conditions,whether you had to put up with tankie peeing off the back of the boat and polluting the local fishery...etc.;)) and pictures to back up yer stories if ya have 'em.

Let's have 'em all...the good,the bad and the ugly........:))

I'll start it off......33 inch,24lb Northern Pike caught off the breakwall in Port Sanilac,MI(Lake Huron)while fishing for perch.8lb test on a light action 9ft steelhead rod with shiner minnows for bait.Didn't catch a single perch......wonder why???:)

Officer of Engineers
08 Jun 09,, 03:53
Does dynamite count?

Kernow
08 Jun 09,, 07:00
My biggest was a 25Kg Conger, just off the Edistone Lighthouse. They bark like dogs.

BD1
08 Jun 09,, 09:43
one and only fish i ever caught was a maybe 5kg./10-pound carp fish i hit accidentally when i jumped to lake as a child. Only angling success , an old bicycle in the same lake.

S2
08 Jun 09,, 10:19
Broke into fishing on an old SouthBend automatic flyreel. Poppers for bass n' panfish. Went to college in Madison, Wisconsin and gained access to a bevy of tiny springcreeks chuck full of brookies and browns (a few rainbows). Fish them with 6' 1/2 ft. spinning rod and a tiny Mitchell 304 in harmony with the land as everybody else (Shamus included) were out on the lakes whackin' walleye, northern, and the odd muskie or two. The latter two, as you can see from Shamus' photo are essentially freshwater barracuda.

Moved west and got into flyfishing with a vengeance. I'm here to tell you that it WASN'T for the aesthetics of it all, i.e. the poetic artistry of long, looping casts. Nope. Caught more and bigger fish.

I've had the good fortune to fish the Deschutes (home river if a hundred miles counts), Owyhee in Oregon, Rocky Ford, the Big Wood and Spring creek in Washington, Silver Creek in Ketchum/Hailey/Sun Valley, Idaho, and the Madison, Big Horn, Yellowstone, Lamar, Gibbon, Snake, and three of the lovliest spring creeks God has designed in Paradise Valley, Montana. Also the San Juan in New Mexico and Lee's Ferry on the Colorado in Arizona. Oh! Hat Creek in N. California.

There's more but those are all notable and for real.

Coolest story was fishing Silver Creek with a buddy and a guy about 100 yards upstream hooks a small rainbow. Playing it, he suddenly starts screaming (poor form, btw) that he's got a big brown on that's attacked the lil' rainbow. Fights for a minute and loses the brown but has the rainbow still on and five yards from his net...

...when the brownie attacks again. It stays on the rainbow literally to the net before dropping the rainbow.

Ahhh, too late. Brownie lets go half out of the water but, alas, the net is under and this dude lands two on one fly at once. Awesome moment. 23", 51/2 lb. Brown. VERY nice.

Nothing larger in my world than a 25" rainbow on the Big Horn but a LOT of 16-22" fish. It's one of my few passions.

dave lukins
08 Jun 09,, 12:05
Don, you may have opened a can of worms(no pun intended) since Tankie is a fisherman of note, and has not yet seen this thread, make haste and submit your posts as as soon as you can because when Tankie starts on about fishing...Well, he can send a glass eye to sleep.:))

tankie
08 Jun 09,, 12:15
All right ladies and gentlemen,I'm a person who loves to hear big(or small) fish stories with all the details(what kind of gear,what bait,weather conditions,whether you had to put up with tankie peeing off the back of the boat and polluting the local fishery...etc.;)) and pictures to back up yer stories if ya have 'em.

Let's have 'em all...the good,the bad and the ugly........:))

I'll start it off......33 inch,24lb Northern Pike caught off the breakwall in Port Sanilac,MI(Lake Huron)while fishing for perch.8lb test on a light action 9ft steelhead rod with shiner minnows for bait.Didn't catch a single perch......wonder why???:)

Sheeshhhhh i use them for bait to catch reaaaaaaaaaallll pike :rolleyes::tongue:

tankie
08 Jun 09,, 12:28
Don, you may have opened a can of worms(no pun intended) since Tankie is a fisherman of note, and has not yet seen this thread, make haste and submit your posts as as soon as you can because when Tankie starts on about fishing...Well, he can send a glass eye to sleep.:))

Good COD lookins , what you carping on about , i started this thread , :rolleyes: me chubby minow,scule mate but alas my fishing DACE are numbered .

, now come down from yer perch and read all , before you become an old trout , you little ray,nbow of light .;)

hey which is the fastest fresh water fish , and the fastest sea fish

Fresh water is a motor pike and side carp , and the sea one is a kipper , flat out

Mobbme
08 Jun 09,, 12:50
lTVXfCbos-o

I wanna catch this fish

tankie
08 Jun 09,, 12:55
lTVXfCbos-o

I wanna catch this fish

Got one , and a lobster as well ;)

Mobbme
08 Jun 09,, 18:19
Got one , and a lobster as well ;)

:tongue:

There's a great white shark one too :biggrin:

tankie
08 Jun 09,, 18:22
:tongue:

There's a great white shark one too :biggrin:

jeez , remember when they came along and every shop was selling them with a demo model , and all the brats would play them incessantly :(:))

Shiny Capstar
08 Jun 09,, 18:33
Does dynamite count?

Do tell sir, do tell...

Mobbme
jeez , remember when they came along and every shop was selling them with a demo model , and all the brats would play them incessantly :(:))

Yeah, it was quite "the thing" back in 2000 and 2001.

I don't really post my fish stories on this, why? Because I suck at fishing and there ain't no lie to that. First time I went fishing we caught nothing, we had to eat store bought fish that night. I wanted the whole adventure of catching it then killing it and cleaning it and cooking it fresh, but noooo the fish had other ideas

Shiny Capstar
Yeah, it was one of those oh sh!t moments when you realized that you jumped into shark infested waters that you've intentionally filled with bait.

And I do that deliberately.... oh well, everyone has their own tastes:biggrin:

tankie
08 Jun 09,, 19:20
Yeah, it was quite "the thing" back in 2000 and 2001.

Because i used to do a lot of match fishing , my ex brother thought it would be fun to buy me one for xmas instead of a bottle :rolleyes:, the ex,s kids played the sod all the time :redface:

Dreadnought
08 Jun 09,, 19:36
Sad to admit but did some "fishing" with cherry bombs and half sticks when I was a much younger lad. Even "beamed up" a few bull frogs that were on the river banks. Nothing but footprints left in the mud afterwards.:redface::))

tankie
08 Jun 09,, 19:52
Sad to admit but did some "fishing" with cherry bombs and half sticks when I was a much younger lad. Even "beamed up" a few bull frogs that were on the river banks. Nothing but footprints left in the mud afterwards.:redface::))

I tried it with thunderflashes , never had much success tho , so the gentlemanly way was with the rod and line and a read of Izack Walton , i am the proud owner of 70 + dust catchers , but the memories are forever burned in this old mans mind , and the cash that came with the winning of them helped to get me in a state of euphoria :biggrin:

ArmchairGeneral
08 Jun 09,, 19:55
Weird...I'm about to head out to do some fishin' right now. Biggest fish I've ever caught- probably a baby hammerhead at Jekyll Island, Georgia. 'Bout 2.5, 3 feet long, maybe 5 lbs. Biggest keeper, 3 lb black drum maybe. Hooked a carp once that would've dwarfed anything else I've got, but I had about as much chance of landing a nuclear sub as I did landing him on ultralight tackle. Love fishing, but I'm not very good. Oh well. Time to catch some bluegill for supper.

tankie
08 Jun 09,, 20:00
Weird...I'm about to head out to do some fishin' right now. Biggest fish I've ever caught- probably a baby hammerhead at Jekyll Island, Georgia. 'Bout 2.5, 3 feet long, maybe 5 lbs. Biggest keeper, 3 lb black drum maybe. Hooked a carp once that would've dwarfed anything else I've got, but I had about as much chance of landing a nuclear sub as I did landing him on ultralight tackle. Love fishing, but I'm not very good. Oh well. Time to catch some bluegill for supper.

Weeeeeeellllllllllllll for a small fee lessons can be given :rolleyes::biggrin:

ArmchairGeneral
08 Jun 09,, 20:08
Weeeeeeellllllllllllll for a small fee lessons can be given

You Brits fish so weird it'd probably just confuse me. Ledgering and maggots and carp and what have you. And using freakin' 30 ft poles that cost as much as a small car to catch minnows. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

tankie
08 Jun 09,, 20:24
You Brits fish so weird it'd probably just confuse me. Ledgering and maggots and carp and what have you. And using freakin' 30 ft poles that cost as much as a small car to catch minnows. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Ahh yes the continental roach pole , they are great for building up the weight in the net , which is what match fishing is all about ;) , i owned a boat in the UK A/G which i used for sea fishing , a totaly diffo kettle of fish (pun intended ) each style of fishing requires its own methods , and yes i agree on the cost of them things , they are astronomical , made from carbon fibre ,, i had a collection of floats and tackle to die for , and if i catch the cnut who broke into my shed to steal them , he will die , a zillion beheadings ;) but tackle is usually designed to catch anglers , which invariably it does :biggrin:

Mobbme
10 Jun 09,, 12:08
The Fishing Godfather, ehhhh no more tomatoe and mozzarella eh, just loony toony fish

LiveLeak.com - Chinese fisherman trains birds to catch fish (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=487_1244314532)

Eat your hearts out boys

Canmoore
08 Aug 09,, 17:20
I love to fish, my friend competes in tournaments and sometimes I get to go with him.

For the most part I am mainly a cool water species fisherman, my favorite species to catch are Walleye, Pike, and Musky. Bass are also a favorite, as well as Crappie.

Nothing beats filleting a bunch of crappy, coating them in fish crisp and dumping them in the deap fryer...mmm

My largest Fish per species are as follows.

L.M. Bass = 6.5lbs caught on Shimano rod/reel.
White YUM grub and white 1/8oz jig head

S.M. Bass = 6.7lbs (22inches!!) G.Loomis Rod/Shimano reel.
Smithwick Rougue slashbait, with perch colours.

Northern Pike = 12lbs Ugly Stick Rod/Shimano reel.
Red and silver Williams spoon.

Walleye = 7lbs (27inches!!) Ugly Stick Rod/Shimano Reel.
Rapala Original floater, black and silver colour.

Musky = 31inches Shimano Rod/reel.
Dropshotting for walleye. 1/4oz weight attached to a three way swivel, with a green floating jig head hooked with a large shiner.

Crappie = at least a pound and a half, I actually caught this one the other day. Took a picture of it, I realesed him. G.Loomis Rod/Shimano Reel Yellow YUM grub with a yellow 1/8oz knuckle-ball jig head..

As for cold water species, I like to go down to the Nottawasaga River, near Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) for the Salmon Run in September. The largest Chinook Salmon I ever caught was maybe 12 pounds, it measured 32inches. And he tasted great (had it smoked). Caught him on roe.

In the same river, I have also caught a nice 5lb Rainbow Trout, I realesed him back to the water however. Caught him on a worm.