• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Russia’s Conventional Armed Forces and the Georgian War”

by Roger N. McDermott

Published by US army's parameters

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usawc/p.../mcdermott.pdf
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Communication systems and electronic warfare assets employed by commanders and frontline forces were obsolete, in many cases “unchanged since Soviet times.” The 58th Army commander, Lieutenant-General Anatoliy Khrulev, was reported to have communicated with his forces in the midst of combat via a satellite phone borrowed from a journalist, since communication between units was unavailable.
    Interesting. Reminds me of the incident during the invasion of Grenada where a US serviceman had to use a (pay?) phone to call Fort Bragg so he could communicate with needed forces.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      Interesting. Reminds me of the incident during the invasion of Grenada where a US serviceman had to use a (pay?) phone to call Fort Bragg so he could communicate with needed forces.
      Navy SEAL, Gov mansion. OUF wasn't one of the bright spots in the SEALs history.

Comment

C3i

''The 58th Army commander, Lieutenant-General Anatoliy Khrulev, was reported to have communicated with his forces in the midst of combat via a satellite phone borrowed from a journalist, since communication between units was unavailable. ''
        Battlefield improvisations.It's not the first time they resort to these kinds of expedients.They had the same problem (and the same ''solution'') in both Chechen campaigns.It seems that they will fix it this time.

They were gutsy enough to ask the use of GPS.That should remind US and Nato the vital importance of the satellite network.
        Regarding arty. I think the author is a bit to harsh.They did a great job in halting and routing the Georgians(even with old style methods).They used massed fire traditionally.
        Calls to get rid of divisions appear exagerate.They can emphasize the brigades without removing the divisions.
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

The Russians like to brag about beating the "Westren Trained"georgian army, but to my knowledge the Georgian army is mostly ex-soviet, i remember a picture were a georgian T-72 wase facing a Russian T-72, the Russians essencially beat a smaller version of ther own amry

Comment

Originally posted by Rodrigo View Post
            The Russians like to brag about beating the "Westren Trained"georgian army, but to my knowledge the Georgian army is mostly ex-soviet, i remember a picture were a georgian T-72 wase facing a Russian T-72, the Russians essencially beat a smaller version of ther own amry
            *Georgia is piss poor in arms and training when compared to the Russian Army.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodrigo View Post
              Those Georgian troops properly trained by the US were in Iraq.

Comment

and they are back.
                Attached Files
                “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

The visual and physical difference between between those Georgian troops and the ad hoc MARPAT wearing, combination Soviet/US equipped Georgian forces that fought against the Russian invasion is very notable.

And what happened to the US Humvees the Russians seized in a Georgian port?
                  Last edited by Equilibrium; 05 Aug 09,, 19:19.

Comment

5 of them have been assigned to a recon unit rest of them will be put on display.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by xinhui; 06 Aug 09,, 23:39.

Comment

I wonder if they will try to buy spare parts from the Chinese?

Comment

They should trade them in under the "cash for clunker" program.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Simply put no matter how well Georgia arms, even if they were given sophisticated American and European weapons they will still falter under a full fledged Russian assault. When the Georgians asked to be rearmed after the war the Americans and the Europeans told the Georgians that they should just forget it that no matter how much they were armed they will never be a match for Russia which is a global power and will just give the Russians more reasons to trample Georgia and capture more Western weapons to parade, as Sarkozy once pointed out its a David vs Goliath.

Comment

Originally posted by UnitedSomalia View Post
                            Russia which is a global power
                            May I ask how Russia is a global power?

Btw, are you Somalian? Could you please go to Naval box? I would like to know your opinion on the pirate hunt in Somalia's water. Thanks in advance.
                            Last edited by VietPhuong; 21 Aug 09,, 16:36.

Comment

Originally posted by VietPhuong View Post
                              May I ask how Russia is a global power?
                              Russia is a global power because of these points which I will list:

1) The largest nuclear arsenal in the world not including those stockpiled
                              2) The largest chemical and biological arsenal
                              3) The largest heavy bomber fleet operational in the world with over 300 long range bombers
                              4) The most sophisticated air defense system in the world compromising of S-300 and S-400 systems providing total nation wide air defense capability one that even the U.S. lacks in comparison factually speaking
                              5) Russia has the world's 3rd largest gold and hard currency reserve after China and Japan
                              6) Russia has the world's largest gas reserve of 44,650,000,000,000 which gives it an even extra economical clout
                              7) 8th largest oil reserve in the world
                              8) one of the largest and technically advanced sub and surface fleets behind the U.S.
                              9) One of the largest arms exporters in the world
                              10) One of the most battle tested armies in the world
                              11) Long armed and feared special forces like the spetznaz and secret services
                              12) one of the largest and most advanced air forces in the world
                              13) Sophisticated research and development base with strong industrial base

and that"s just a partial list of what makes Russia a global power unmatched in what it can bring to bear on a battle field besides the U.S.

Comment

Working...
                              X