PDA

View Full Version : Last survivor from Titanic dies

tankie
03 Jun 09,, 20:13
Millvina Dean, the last survivor of the Titanic disaster, has died at the age of 97. Skip related content
Related photos / videos Millvina Dean, the last survivor of the 1912 Titanic disaster, has died, aged 97 Miss Dean was just nine weeks old when the historic liner sank in 1912.

She died in the early hours of Saturday morning after being cared for at a Southampton nursing home.

Elizabeth Gladys Dean, known to friends as Millvina, was born on February 2, 1912 and boarded the doomed ship with her parents Bertram Frank and Georgette Eva and her elder brother Bertram.

Members of the family, all third class passengers, were emigrating to Wichita, Kansas, where her father had hoped to open a tobacconist shop.

When the accident happened, her father felt the ship shudder and quickly told his family to get on deck.

Miss Dean, her mother and brother were among the first steerage passengers to escape the sinking liner, but Mr Dean was unable to get onto a lifeboat and perished in the disaster.

They returned to England aboard the Adriatic where "Millvina became quite a spectacle: that such a tiny baby could have came through the ordeal alive," according to Encyclopedia-Titanica.

Miss Dean's family returned to Southampton and she did not find out that she had been on board the vessel until she was eight and her mother was planning to remarry.

RIP

I hope thats the end of the titanic films ,, i wouldnt mind but every new film they make ,,the ship always bloody sinks :rolleyes::biggrin:

Dreadnought
03 Jun 09,, 20:32
R.I.P. and now the book on RMS Titanic finally closes. She was a tough old gal to survive that and still live a long happy life. When I was in Belfast I visited the beach where the last pictures of the ship were taken under steam before her sinking. The monument to the stokers and crew that died aboard is in Belfast.:redface:

*Funny thing while going through the checkpoint into northern Ireland, They knew I was American and Irish by sight, when asked if I was Catholic or Protestant I replied neither I'm just passing through. But in reality roman catholic. Troubled times in a beautiful country.:redface:

tankie
04 Jun 09,, 09:42
R.I.P. and now the book on RMS Titanic finally closes. She was a tough old gal to survive that and still live a long happy life. When I was in Belfast I visited the beach where the last pictures of the ship were taken under steam before her sinking. The monument to the stokers and crew that died aboard is in Belfast.:redface:

*Funny thing while going through the checkpoint into northern Ireland, They knew I was American and Irish by sight, when asked if I was Catholic or Protestant I replied neither I'm just passing through. But in reality roman catholic. Troubled times in a beautiful country.:redface:

When we were stationed in N/I i loved the place as well Dreads , i wish to visit the south someday , visit where my Gran (dads side) comes from .;) ps ,im agnostic :biggrin:

Knaur Amarsh
04 Jun 09,, 10:01
Rest In Peace

Mobbme
06 Jun 09,, 12:39
R.I.P

Their hearts will go on

tankie
06 Jun 09,, 12:43
R.I.P

Their hearts will go on

Ah yes Ooe,s fav song :rolleyes:

snowhole
06 Jun 09,, 20:13
Rest in peace.

La_Piovra
10 Jun 09,, 22:07
She was the last Titanic survivor, yet she never watched James Cameron's masterpiece film with Leo and Kate...

Knaur Amarsh
11 Jun 09,, 08:21
She was the last Titanic survivor, yet she never watched James Cameron's masterpiece film with Leo and Kate...

Tankie didn't need to watch no movie either, he just read about the ship sinking in the evening newspaper.

tankie
11 Jun 09,, 09:53
Tankie didn't need to watch no movie either, he just read about the ship sinking in the evening newspaper.

No i never ,not with these old eyes matey , me nurse had to read it to me :biggrin:

Knaur Amarsh
11 Jun 09,, 09:57
No i never ,not with these old eyes matey , me nurse had to read it to me :biggrin:

Tsk that bad huh, and I thought you were just a strapping young lad back in 1912 :P:))

tankie
11 Jun 09,, 10:11
Tsk that bad huh, and I thought you were just a strapping young lad back in 1912 :P:))

I detect an east west joust coming along well ,, ok then

shouldnt you be out getting chased by tigers instead of messing with treachery ,and wisdom that comes with old age .:tongue::biggrin:

Knaur Amarsh
11 Jun 09,, 12:56
I detect an east west joust coming along well ,, ok then

Is that altogether wise at your age, think of the arthiritic fingers? :P

shouldnt you be out getting chased by tigers instead of messing with treachery and

Messing? Hardly, all I'd need to do is hide your walking stick :))

wisdom that comes with old age .:tongue::biggrin:

Ok OK you win, even I can't come up with something funnier to top that :))

tankie
11 Jun 09,, 17:00
Is that altogether wise at your age, think of the arthiritic fingers? :P

Messing? Hardly, all I'd need to do is hide your walking stick :))

Ok OK you win, even I can't come up with something funnier to top that :))

Wise man ,,;)