PDA

View Full Version : Military Channel ?

ChrisF202
24 Mar 05,, 11:19
Does anybody here have this? Is it worth getting?

I heard its like the History Channel but all military and military history. Sounds good to me lol :)

Bill
24 Mar 05,, 14:44
I have it. It's pretty good.

Lot of repeats though.

FlyingCaddy
24 Mar 05,, 21:43
I have it. It's pretty good.

Lot of repeats though.

I concur with this opinion, however I would recommend a cost benefit analysis, first how much would it cost to get this channel, second how much do you value having a relatively large amount of television programming on aspects of air, land, and sea warfare with a high degree of weekly repeats and old programs.

leib10
25 Mar 05,, 16:43
The one gripe I have is that the History Channel plays waaayyy too much stuff about D-day.

Bill
25 Mar 05,, 16:51
which d-day?

leib10
25 Mar 05,, 17:02
The one on June 6, 1944.

Bill
25 Mar 05,, 17:11
Ah, Overlord.

All US ops during WWII had a D-day. D-day means the first day of combat operations. ;)

leib10
25 Mar 05,, 17:14
True. Even in some of the German wartime novels I've read, they refer to the beginning of an operation as D-day.

Bill
25 Mar 05,, 17:18
Nowadays we use the term G-day to signify the start of an operation.

TopHatter
26 Mar 05,, 01:37
History Channel and Military Channel both have their good and bad points.
Back when I worked in the cable industry I was up on all that stuff, repeats, repurposed programming. Basically it boils to down money (surprise surprise!)
Fortunately, I haven't seen the History Channel replaying Weapons At War.
It's so irritating to watch programs that were produced in 1991 when all of the information is now horribly out of date.
For example, what good does it do the uninformed to broadcast a show bragging about weapons systems like they are still in service, when in fact they were taken out of service 10 years ago?

Bill
26 Mar 05,, 11:14
They have some really good programs, the one about the WWII US Blackcat PBR night attack sqns was really informative, and the program about the Iwo Jima survivors returning to the island was very emotional.

Overall, i'd reccomend the channel.

leib10
26 Mar 05,, 16:14
Yes, once they cut out 90% of the Operation Overlord (D-day) programs.

ChrisF202
26 Mar 05,, 19:54
Ill have to speak to my dad about this channel. I dont think its available in my area.

Tibbetts
26 Mar 05,, 20:01

I heard its like the History Channel but all military and military history. Sounds good to me lol :)

Didn't know there was a "Military Channel". All I have is the History Channel. :D

Tibbetts

Terran empire
26 Mar 05,, 22:10
Didn't know there was a "Military Channel". All I have is the History Channel. :D
It used too Be discovery Wings but It's all Good Now.
A Great Channel covers every thing from land air and sea.

EricTheRed
29 Mar 05,, 00:06
I have the military channel and I like it alot. Between that and History there is almost always something good to watch. But then again I did not have to pay for it, it came with my cable

EPA
29 Mar 05,, 02:39

Yah, i got that but i don't pay to much attention to it i will now. I am going to louisianna tomarrow for The National D-day museum New Orleans. I am a Charter member there.

ChrisF202
29 Mar 05,, 11:08
Yah, i got that but i don't pay to much attention to it i will now. I am going to louisianna tomarrow for The National D-day museum New Orleans. I am a Charter member there.
Take some pictures for us :)

canadian boy
16 Dec 05,, 22:21
i have the military channel and id have to say it's pretty good however it talks too much about modern weapons, and not the ones that led up to having that weapon, they also concentrate more on the land and air than the sea (except in the marathons). But otherwise it's a good channel

TopHatter
16 Dec 05,, 22:51
i have the military channel and id have to say it's pretty good however it talks too much about modern weapons, and not the ones that led up to having that weapon, they also concentrate more on the land and air than the sea (except in the marathons). But otherwise it's a good channel
Agreed on both counts (though I havent watched TV period, much less the Military Channel, in several months.)

Although I'd have to say that the History Channel picks up some of the slack from the historical POV (obviously).

Military Channel still needs a better naval library of shows.

Dreadnought
30 Jan 06,, 16:17
The military channel rules. Running side by side with the History/Discovery channels. :)

giggs88
31 Jan 06,, 21:04

I don't get it. :(

giggs88
31 Jan 06,, 21:08
History Channel does too much on WWII. I get tired of watching the same thing over and over again.

Plus that stupid show, Unsolved Mysteries or some crap. Whatever that show is, it stinks. It's always about UFO's or the Doesn't exist monster.

I like Heroes Under Fire and Shootout!. And then that other show, Man, Moment, and Machine.

I would like it if the History Channel didn't dwell on WWII so much and went beyond just US History.

Dreadnought
01 Feb 06,, 13:25
Modern Marvels is always pretty good and also hevy metal. :)

leib10
01 Feb 06,, 15:05
History Channel does too much on WWII. I get tired of watching the same thing over and over again.

Plus that stupid show, Unsolved Mysteries or some crap. Whatever that show is, it stinks. It's always about UFO's or the Doesn't exist monster.

I like Heroes Under Fire and Shootout!. And then that other show, Man, Moment, and Machine.

I would like it if the History Channel didn't dwell on WWII so much and went beyond just US History.

Agreed. They have the History International Channel, but it's not available in all areas.