Military members leaving GOP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military members leaving GOP?

The following is a good representation of how I feel.

The Rush and Cheney Show Accelerates Military Desertion of the GOP

Jon Soltz, Co-Founder of VoteVets.org
    Huffington Post
    Posted: May 27, 2009 12:49 PM

For decades, the conventional wisdom was that the Republican Party was the party of the military. And while no party has or ever will monopolize military support, certainly Republicans had a good amount of support from some big names - from Eisenhower to Powell.

In recent years, however, as Republicans have abandoned ideals that make our military strong - no nation building using our Armed Forces, looking for strong alliances to join us in action, operating on a moral high ground when we do use force, and commitment to a strong enough and large enough force - we've seen big names head towards supporting Democrats - from General Wesley Clark and Major General Paul Eaton to General John Shalikashvili, General Joseph Hoar, and General Hugh Shelton. Oh, and Colin Powell.

That shift towards Democrats, and especially President Obama and Hillary Clinton during the primary, is about to be fast tracked, as Rush Limbaugh and Dick Cheney take control of Republican messaging, ideals, practices, and policies.

Ideals that include torturing detainees, hoping for a "24-like" moment that neatly helps dismantle terrorist networks, instead of giving them their best recruiting tool. It goes against everything we learn in the Army Field Manual (which forbids torture), and what we know works on the ground. For example, when we urgently needed information about insurgents in Iraq, we didn't bring in a local leader and torture him, no matter what. Doing so would have only inflamed things and made it impossible for us to effectively operate in an area again.

Practices based on use of force first, like Newt Gingrich's odd contention that if he was President, he'd go into North Korea and bomb away to destroy their missiles, unphased by what that would actually mean.

And, policies like favoring big contracts for high-end weapons systems and air power, over a military with a strong ground component - championed by Donald Rumsfeld. Policy still backed by those who would put more money into experimental weapons systems over growing the size of our enlisted forces, which would only hamstring our ability to effectively operate.

For all I disagree on with Senator John McCain, he may have been the Republicans best hope at stemming the trend, by at least voicing opposition to torture, and standing firm on Pentagon waste and bloated contracts, worried more about practical equipment that could help our troops in the field. Now, with Senator McCain vanquished within his own party by those who weaseled their way out of service in Vietnam, no one seems to be in the way of taking the Republican Party full-tilt to the anti-military-ideals fringe.

It's hard to remember, but when General Wesley Clark retired, and was rumored to be interested in politics leading to 2004, there was some buzz wondering if he would be a Democrat or Republican. It says a lot, because even though he supported Democrats privately while serving, there still was a sliver of space for someone like General Clark in the Republican Party, making such speculation not too outlandish.

It reminds me of recent news involving another General.

Last year, those on the right loved General David Petraeus. You couldn't debate anyone on the neocon side without them trying to hide behind the General. There were even rumors swirling that Republicans would recruit him to be their nominee in 2012. Then, supporters of Governor Palin championed her nomination in four years, but they thought General Petraeus would make a fine subordinate to the Governor in a Dream Ticket to take on President Obama.

Well, don't look now, but our friend Sam Stein at reported here:

General David Petraeus said this past weekend that President Obama's decision to close down Gitmo and end harsh interrogation techniques would benefit the United States in the broader war on terror.
    General Petraeus goes on to say that he believes we need to stay within the Geneva Convention, and that closing Gitmo "sends an important message to the world, as does the commitment of the United States to observe the Geneva Convention when it comes to the treatment of detainees."

Of course, this flies in the face of the Rush Limbaugh and Dick Cheney crowd - those who believe that we're safer when we do things that serve as great recruiting tools for al Qaeda.

There's no doubt that General Petraeus would be a powerful nominee for Republicans in 2012. One has to wonder, however, if with Dick Cheney and Rush Limbaugh calling the shots, the GOP is a Dream Party for him.
    America doesn't deserve its military

-Emma Sky

Interesting article Osage. I remember hearing a few times before the election that support for the Republicans among the military was lower visibly slipping. This would seem to support that contention. A fascinating development, though I wouldn't rush to ascribe it to one or two specific causes. Such shifts tend to be more complex.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Petraues is out saying Gitmo is costing us lives. He is too far off message.
      Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
      ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Since there aren't really any polls taken irt military voting, its difficult to say if there is really any shift. Veterans still voted heavily republican in 2008, but as far as active duty members, its impossible to say.
        Last edited by Johnny W; 29 May 09,, 12:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
          Petraues is out saying Gitmo is costing us lives. He is too far off message.

Care to link that????

Huffington Post.....
          Really....Are you kidding me....

Comment

robert,

not quite "costing us lives", but...

Care to link that????
            Petraeus supports closure of Guantanamo - Army News, news from Iraq, - Army Times

rmy Gen. David Petraeus said the U.S. military is "beat around the head and shoulders" with images of detainees held in Guantanamo, the facility in Cuba President Barack Obama has vowed to close. He said closing Guantanamo and ensuring detainees are dealt with by an appropriate judicial system would bolster the nation's war effort in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"I do believe very strongly that we should live our values," he said. "Generations of soldiers have fought to defend those values, and we should not shrink from living them, from operationalizing them, on the battlefield."
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

"I do believe very strongly that we should live our values"
              That's the key phrase.....that's what HE thinks.....which could be far from the truth....or not.
              After all his exposure to the day to day grind "on the ground" consists of
              him with a parade of aids and other hangers on wandering through the battle space...which is to say the least..... secure...if not sterilized.
              So the information he gets is what others tell him....he is no different than any other commanding General

Comment

Originally posted by Robert W View Post
                That's the key phrase.....that's what HE thinks.....which could be far from the truth....or not.
                him with a parade of aids and other hangers on wandering through the battle space...which is to say the least..... secure...if not sterilized.
                So the information he gets is what others tell him....he is no different than any other commanding General
                If we aren't living our values then they really aren't our values. Most of them are found in our Constitution and he did swear to defend it.
                ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

If we aren't living our values then they really aren't our values. What would you like to replace them with? Which parts of the constitution need changing?
                  ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Keep in mind that Jon Soltz is another liberal telling the GOP what their problems are...and how they might correct them...
                    This time it is about the military.
                    Here is a little background on Jon Soltz:
                    VoteVets.org - SourceWatch
                    And more>>Busted! Shining light on a cockroach

Take a peek and make up your own mind...

Comment

robert,

that's just a polite way of saying the general is removed from reality. which is a pretty funny thing to say about a general whom got right a war which every other commander had screwed up since 2003.

in any case, i'll trust a combatant commander with combat experience over the likes of, say, draft-dodging dick cheney.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Keep in mind that Jon Soltz is another liberal telling the GOP what their problems are...and how they might correct them...
                        This time it is about the military.
                        Here is a little background on Jon Soltz:
                        VoteVets.org - SourceWatch
                        And more>>Busted! Shining light on a cockroach

Take a peek and make up your own mind...
                        Robert,
                        Well, I pulled the article from Huffington, so it's no shock that Soltz is a liberal. However, his message is dead on, in my opinion.

I'm tired of listening to chickenhawks like Limbaugh, Hannity, Gingrich and Cheney tell me how the world works. I'd rather listen to Gen. Powell, Gen. Petraeus and Gen. Jones.
                        America doesn't deserve its military

-Emma Sky

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                          in any case, i'll trust a combatant commander with combat experience over the likes of, say, draft-dodging dick cheney.
                          Pwned
                          Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                            robert,

that's just a polite way of saying the general is removed from reality. which is a pretty funny thing to say about a general whom got right a war which every other commander had screwed up since 2003.

I just respect the heck out of people who have that twenty twenty hindsight when it is really convenient... makes him look like a Cameleon,
                            After all who was in a better position to effect change in execution of the policy's from the executive branch.....or if he had massive objections to those policy's and felt forced to carry them out...resign his commission or retire and go fishing.
                            And about the draft dodging thing....come on I know your better than that based off the depth of your other postings on this forum.
                            just my two...

Comment

Originally posted by osage18 View Post
                              Robert,
                              Well, I pulled the article from Huffington, so it's no shock that Soltz is a liberal. However, his message is dead on, in my opinion.

I'm tired of listening to chickenhawks like Limbaugh, Hannity, Gingrich and Cheney tell me how the world works. I'd rather listen to Gen. Powell, Gen. Petraeus and Gen. Jones.
                              Thats what makes this country great....;)

Comment

Working...
                              X