Interleague Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interleague Play

Interleague play between the American and National Leagues opens thsi weekend. Are you a fan?

I like it for 2 reasons.

1. Regional rivalries. I get to watch my Red Sox play the Atlanta Braves...who were origianlly the Boston Braves. Of course Mets-Yanks, Cleveland-Cincy, A's-Giants, Halos-Dodgers. I think they are all good.

2. As an AL guy it is fun to watch the AL pitchers bat and it gives the AL managers a chance to play Small Ball.

Your thoughts?
    Yes. I think it is great and breathes new life into a great game.
    20.00%
    No. It is the end of Western Civiliazation as we know it.
    80.00%
    Ambivalent.
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Interleague play between the American and National Leagues opens thsi weekend. Are you a fan?

I like it for 2 reasons.

1. Regional rivalries. I get to watch my Red Sox play the Atlanta Braves...who were origianlly the Boston Braves. Of course Mets-Yanks, Cleveland-Cincy, A's-Giants, Halos-Dodgers. I think they are all good.

2. As an AL guy it is fun to watch the AL pitchers bat and it gives the AL managers a chance to play Small Ball.

Your thoughts?
    I'm not a fan of interleague play, I'm more of a purist though. I think it detracts from the uniqueness of baseball. Used to be the only time the AL and NL met was in the World Series, and (for some of the players) the All-Star game. Now it's ho-um, the AL and NL are meeting. For every Mets-Yanks series, there is an invented, artifiical rivalry (Mariners-Padres? Tigers-Rockies?).

Between that and the extra round of playoffs, it takes away from the regular season, in my view. Selig is adamant about keeping a 162 game season, but also added the wild-card round in the playoffs, which along with the previously established LCS series, sort of defeated the purpose of playing 162 games (win the pennant outright in the regular season) .

Now you might as well call baseball Baseketball, and no, not like the movie. Next step is to do away with AL and NL and call them the Western and Eastern conferences.

Comment

I voted yes but with a caveat; interleague play should be on a very limited basis. Interleague play should not involve teams from other geographic areas, like the Dodgers shouldn't play the Yankees or the White Sox during the regular season. The number of interleague games between two teams should be limited to no more than 6 games a season.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

One other thing I wanted to add since we are coming up on the next round of the end of Western Civilization. Why are there still separate stats and awards for the AL and NL? When they were not playing each other it made since to keep statistics and awards separate. The AL even developed their own position during that time.

However with the advent of inter-league play it makes the need for separate stats and awards irrelevant. When the NFL merged with the AFL the AFL did and still does not keep its statistics separate from the NFL.

This is MLB's policy:

"It is the opinion of Major League Baseball that there is no justification for compiling a new volume of records based on Interleague Play. On the contrary, the sovereignty of each league's records will be retained, and if a player or a team breaks a record against an Interleague opponent it will be considered a record in that league. In cases where two teams -- as Interleague opponents -- break a league or Major League record, that record will be annotated with the phrase 'Interleague game.' Streaks by both teams and individual will continue (or be halted) when playing Interleague opponents in the same manner as if playing against an intraleague opponent. In essence, records will be defined by who made them rather than against whom they were made.

"The official statistics of both leagues will be kept separately as they have in the past. This means statistics for each team and their individual players will reflect their performance in games within the league and also in Interleague games without differentiation."

I see logical contradictions here, but maybe that's just me.

Comment

I used to be for when it first came about, but now I don't know. We used to be ambivalent about the Sox fans, now we're supposed to hate them. The Exhibition crosstown classic used to be fun.
          F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            I voted yes but with a caveat; interleague play should be on a very limited basis. Interleague play should not involve teams from other geographic areas, like the Dodgers shouldn't play the Yankees or the White Sox during the regular season. The number of interleague games between two teams should be limited to no more than 6 games a season.
            Agreed. I like it, but I think it should be on a very limited basis, and rotated to a certain extent.

Comment

Working...
            X