Iowa 5in ammo spaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa 5in ammo spaces

Iowa's 5in powder magazines--as originally arranged, what was between them and the armor deck. Anything?

Originally posted by Tiornu View Post
    Iowa's 5in powder magazines--as originally arranged, what was between them and the armor deck. Anything?
    The Splinter deck is their overhead. It is 30-inches below the 2nd deck whick is the 6-inch thick armored deck. On Iowa and New Jersey the splinter deck is 5/8 inch thick but on Missouri and Wisconsin it's 3/4 inch thick.

A bit cramped for me to crawl around inside looking for proper areas to drill through for the extra cableways we were putting in.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

That's interesting, thanks. I never knew it was thicker on the two later ships.
      Offhand, I don't know of other cases in US battleships where a powder magazine was so close to the armor deck. They usually tried to wedge the shell rooms above the powder as an extra measure of protection.

Comment

There are a few differences in their armor scheme. Rusty named one, another is the forward and aft armored bulkhead that makes up the bow and stern end of the armored citidel. It was thicker in the later two ships. For the 5" hoists that come up from the mag you have two hoists for each 5" mag one for the powder cartridge and one for the projectiles. The projectile hoist is on the outboard side while the cartridge hoists are inboard (closer to the centerline of the ship) of the projectile hoists. This affords it an added measure of protection.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
        X