Embarrasing Soldiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarrasing Soldiers

Not sure what this thread will become, if it becomes anything.
    But it always hurts me when I see atrocities carried about by our service members.
    As if we don't have enough of a stigma against us.

I realize these are individuals ...

If not bad enough, that this guy is a "monster", but he wasn't alone, and they plotted!?

wtf?

oh yeah, and then he blames Bush and Cheny, nice job of not taking responsiblity for your own actions.

Prosecutors said he and others in his unit plotted an attack on an Iraqi family. Green herded the parents and younger sister of 14-year-old Abeer al-Janabi into another room of a house while two accomplices raped her. He then gunned down her parents and her 6-year-old sister, before joining in the rape and killing the teenager.
    Convicted soldier: 'You probably think I'm a monster'

Ex-soldier Steven Green convicted of raping Iraqi teen and killing her and her family

Convicted soldier: 'You probably think I'm a monster' - CNN.com

The unexplainable acts of the few people do not make the many of our service members bad in any way. Where as you have a few that do more then break the law you have more then ten thousand in country that do their job every day and do it the way they are instructed to. With dignity,respect and devotion. When found guilty they will meet their punishment (death or imprisonment) like any other criminal and will no longer be a part of the service nor in a positon to ever do this again since they seem to have lost the respect of serving our country itself. The bad apples.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 12 May 09,, 13:25.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
      The unexplainable acts of the few people do not make the many of our service members bad in any way. Where as you have a few that do more then break the law you have more then ten thousand in country that do their job every day and do it the way they are instructed to. With dignity,respect and devotion. When found guilty they will meet their punishment (death or imprisonment) like any other criminal and will no longer be a part of the service nor in a positon to ever do this again since they seem to have lost the respect of serving our country itself. The bad apples.
      Yup , theres always one or two , sad but true .
      Last edited by tankie; 12 May 09,, 21:48.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
        Yup , theres alaways one or two , sad but true .
        The Army is made up of people, wherever you have people you have problems. I like to compare the Army to a similar sized metropolitan city. In any given city of a similar size there are always murders, rape, theft, etc.
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Service men and women come from all walks of society so you will always have dregs. What amazes me is; "Where were the Cpls', Sgts, Lts' etc. when this kicked off!!!!!!

Comment

Military vs. Rest of Society

The numbers don't lie; there are still less crimes committed per capita by military members than civilians. But unfortunately, we have the brighter spotlight. We will get some more unwanted attention this week after yesterday's tragedy at Camp Liberty in B-dad.

Probably will only add more to the typical stereotypes that exist among scores of clueless civilians/media about members of the military: Most vets have PTSD, TBI, mental issues, etc. Totally untrue, obviously.
            America doesn't deserve its military

-Emma Sky

Comment

Originally posted by osage18 View Post
              The numbers don't lie; there are still less crimes committed per capita by military members than civilians. But unfortunately, we have the brighter spotlight. We will get some more unwanted attention this week after yesterday's tragedy at Camp Liberty in B-dad.

Probably will only add more to the typical stereotypes that exist among scores of clueless civilians/media about members of the military: Most vets have PTSD, TBI, mental issues, etc. Totally untrue, obviously.
              *Thats because they need some crazy concocted rational of why they cannot understand why former and acting service members are so different then what they themselves take for granted and act differently. Completely different cultures altogether. Something they will never understand.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 13 May 09,, 16:44.

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                The Army is made up of people, wherever you have people you have problems. I like to compare the Army to a similar sized metropolitan city. In any given city of a similar size there are always murders, rape, theft, etc.

True. But I think crime rates in general are much lower in the military because of discipline.

Comment

I am afraid that PTSD and related stresses will soon be looked upon almost as an "excuse" to commit crimes and behave badly, and this is not the soldier's fault but rather the way society views this phenomenon. If the perception is "I'll get a pass" then there is going to be excessive acting-out, to include crimes.

The only real basis for comparison is past wars. There were always cases of PTSD, but criminal behaviour remained inexcusable, and soldiers returned home and bottled the stress. My father in law saw vicious combat in Korea, and has never spoken about it.

I don't know what the answer is. It's not healthy to compartmentalize stress, but how to relieve it in a constructive way? It is a very difficult and tricky thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                    I am afraid that PTSD and related stresses will soon be looked upon almost as an "excuse" to commit crimes and behave badly, and this is not the soldier's fault but rather the way society views this phenomenon. If the perception is "I'll get a pass" then there is going to be excessive acting-out, to include crimes.

The only real basis for comparison is past wars. There were always cases of PTSD, but criminal behaviour remained inexcusable, and soldiers returned home and bottled the stress. My father in law saw vicious combat in Korea, and has never spoken about it.

I don't know what the answer is. It's not healthy to compartmentalize stress, but how to relieve it in a constructive way? It is a very difficult and tricky thing.
                    IMO, Maybe America should start with better treatment of their Vets from all wars past. Many live on the streets and in shelters while draft doggers live in Washington D.C.:(

Comment

Working...
                    X