Worst Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Beer

Okay, I got this idea from Dreadnought's post on the Just How The Hell Did You Get Here Thread.

During your High School and/or college years (or at that age) what was some of the worst beer you used to drink on a regular basis. I don't mean one drink and spit it out but something you consumed on a regular basis.

Me.

High School (1975-76)

Stroh's
    Carling Black Label (the kind made in Natick, MA)
    Old Milwaukee (cause it came in 14 oz cans!)
    And of course, Mickeys Big Mouths

College (BTW, IN West Virginia it was all 3.2 beer...what we now call Light Beer)

Wiedemanns
    Pearl
    Red White and Blue ($1.79 a 20 pack!)
    Stroh's (I had less money in college than high school)

Honorable Mention. When I first got to Germany in 1981 there was a convenience store right down the street from my hotel the first six weeks. I used to drink Germania. When I got my apartment 6 weeks later I discovered a brewery was 2 blocks away....and never looked back!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

I don't normally drink beer, but recently I was put in a situation where I have to down a Pabst Blue Ribbon. I would never do it again.

Do you consider Yuengling a bad beer? cause that stuff is good.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Yuengling

...is EXCELLENT!
      Mark Twain

Comment

Worst beer

Without a doubt Lucky Lager! It came in bottles, really cheap, $1.99 for a 12 pack. I always thought it smelled faintly of tur*****! (censored- a root of a plant similar to a beet or rutabaga)

Second place, definitely Buckhorn, brewed in Olympia by the same folks that gave you "Artesians"! A distant third would be Pearl (that's how bad Buckhorn is).

Later on in my life I found the worst beer in Africa. More like "beer soup", it came in a waxed liter carton like orange juice. Very popular with the locals, I've found it in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Angola, Zambia. Made from fermented mealie, is non filtered and tastes just like slightly alcoholic carbonated oatmeal. It actually is pretty good but be warned, it will instantly cure you of "occasional irregularity". In a big way.:))
        Last edited by sappersgt; 08 May 09,, 00:57.
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

In High School- Busch. I use to "Head for the mountains" quite often.

Later - Iron City and Stroh's. Use to love that Strodie pop. There was a bar in J-ville that I would visit after coming out of the field. Big bowl of Chili and a pitcher of Strohs. It gets things "regular" after living on C-rats and then the first generation of MREs.

Comment

Milwaukee's Best Ice. Horrible.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I haven't seen that perennial favorite of worst beer lists: Hamm's
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Natty Light was the beer of choice for high schoolers in central Illinois two decades ago . . .
                "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

That reminds me....Natty Bo was a MUST at Orioles games in the old Memorial Stadium in the mid-1970s. (Vendor: Don't worry kid, we don't card 'cause we need the money!)

And I just remembered another one from college....Piels!!!!

And Genny Screamers was considered good!
                  Mark Twain

Comment

High School: No such thing as bad beer. If it had alcohol, and was not vanilla extract, it was GTG.

College: Ironduke mentioned Beast Ice, I'd add Icehouse to the mix. However a keg of the stuff had dinner coming up, and panties coming down. Oh to be youn(ger) again. In the category of "I can't believe I used to drink that stuff", hands down the award goes to (drum roll....)

We used to get cases of the stuff. Fighting drunk...

As an "adult", I have refused a free bottle of Coors Light.
                    Last edited by cato; 08 May 09,, 03:10. Reason: frain bart

Comment

The all time worst has to be Crest beer. It's 10% alcohol

1 can got me all screwed up, 2 cans got me drunk.

Comment

There used to be a beer out here, Brew 102. It was very weak from what I remembered.

Used to work at the Package Store on the base and every so often they had odd beers for sale. There was one beer, Leopard beer which was so bad that even ice cold it tasted terrible.

Comment

Pearl without a doubt. The first can I had in high school, I sneaked into the bathroom and poured it down the drain. At the Air Force Academy, we had some generic 3.2 beers at Arnold Hall, the cadet rec center, that were horrible in their own right, but when combined with naieve freshman, produced devastating (projectile vomiting) results, and thumping hangovers.

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                            Without a doubt Lucky Lager! It came in bottles, really cheap, $1.99 for a 12 pack. I always thought it smelled faintly of tur*****! (censored- a root of a plant similar to a beet or rutabaga)
                            You beat me to it, I was going to say Lucky Lager, also. Plus, the inside of the bottle caps had a picture word you had to figure out; after a few beers, it was pretty hard to figure them out, so we just threw them at each other. The only downside to Lucky was it came in 11 oz. bottles, not 12 oz., so you were actually getting shorted one whole beer for every 12-pack you bought.

Second place goes to Hamm's.
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

The worst beer that ever gave me a hangover was Herforder pils, as I wasn't quite sure that it was the beer and not myself that was at fault I repeated the exercise on a regular basis, and drank copious amounts of the stuff, and I'm still of the opinion that it was totally my own fault.

I'm now sat at my laptop having had my evening meal and am drinking the Penny Markets own brand "Adelskronen GOLD", and that is terrible stuff, goes down your neck like it was fresh air and tastes like elephant pi$$,(not that I have ever tried that, yet). I dislike it with a passion, and continue to drink it to take it off the shelves at the supermarket and save someone else's liver the trouble of processing it into natural body wastage or fat. 2 down and at least another 3 to go before bedtime.

No such thing unless you have ever had Ayinger bier, that is unsuppable, it wedges up in your throat, no pouring it in like the good stuff.;)

Tony
                              Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Working...
                              X