Chinese Kilo SSKs - Quick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Kilo SSKs - Quick Question

For the resident experts out there - about how long did it take for China to acquire its fleet of Kilo subs, including the time it took to construct and deliver them, as well as train the crew, etc...

Thanks in advance,
    D

from what I understand, the first batch of 4 boats was assigned to East Sea Fleet, that means they are not for long range patrols. One of them developed an engine program and was under an extended repair in Shanghai. The Chinese pointed their fingers at the Russian for poor design and the Russians pointed their finger at the Chinese for not spending enough to train their sailors. It seems most of the Kilo operators have their shares of engine problems and PLAN is cheap.

Sorry, I don't have the timeline you requested. but I do know that they send their Song out way more than their Kilos.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by DPrime View Post
      For the resident experts out there - about how long did it take for China to acquire its fleet of Kilo subs, including the time it took to construct and deliver them, as well as train the crew, etc...

Thanks in advance,
      D
      Not sure about the first 4 kilo, but they signed the second 8 kilos in 2002. They received most of them by the end of 2006, the last one was delivered by early 2007. I don't know what the current status is (not as much report on them), but I know that they didn't do a firing of the much talked about club missile until mid to late 2008. Considering that the club missile is a large part of the deal, that should say a lot. As an aside, we do get a lot of picture of them lying at the docks.:)

Comment

Working...
      X