PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Ship Hero Fought Off Pirates With Deck Chair

JCT
29 Apr 09,, 20:08
From Foxnews (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518343,00.html):

A British vacationer is being hailed a hero after he thwarted gun-toting pirates attacking a cruise ship — by throwing a deck chair at them.

Wyn Rowlands was celebrating his 62nd birthday with a dream cruise onboard the MSC Melody near the Seychelle Islands when he spotted armed pirates in a speedboat trying to clamber on to the vessel.

Quick-thinking Wyn, a retired engineer from Bangor-on-Dee, picked up a deck-chair and flung it down at the gang before raising the alarm.

The ship’s captain, Ciro Pinto, was then able to out-manoeuvre the pirates to prevent them boarding the cruise ship.

The MSC Melody and its 1,000 passengers and 500 crew were 600 miles off the coast of Somalia — notorious for pirate attacks — when the incident happenedon Sunday evening.

Bravo to Mr Wyn!

In other news:

Somali man sues Brit who threw a deck chair at him, causing unnamed injuries as well as great mental pain and suffering.

theravenseldon
29 Apr 09,, 20:14
In other news:
Somali man sues Brit who threw a deck chair at him, causing unnamed injuries as well as great mental pain and suffering.

You left out loss of income.

Shiny Capstar
29 Apr 09,, 20:15
See, we don't need all these navies to deal with pirates. Just give each ship in the area an old man (preferably British but from another country if we run out) and all will be safe!

Three main benefits,

1. No more piracy.
2. Old people get jobs, helping us get out of this recession.
3. We get rid of the old men clogging up our Island.

dave lukins
29 Apr 09,, 20:31
See, we don't need all these navies to deal with pirates. Just give each ship in the area an old man (preferably British but from another country if we run out) and all will be safe!

Three main benefits,

1. No more piracy.

Open a Deck-chair company and make a fortune. I volunteer to go on any World cruise as a 'chair throwing marshal':)

Shiny Capstar
29 Apr 09,, 20:36
Open a Deck-chair company and make a fortune. I volunteer to go on any World cruise as a 'chair throwing marshal':)

You could also give those young ruffians a good talking to in their native tongue, whatever it may be:biggrin:

Dreadnought
29 Apr 09,, 20:40
Its all fun and fair until somebody gets beamed in the head with a deck chair. Enjoy your headache *******!:));)

Parihaka
29 Apr 09,, 20:41

Three main benefits,

1. No more piracy.
:biggrin:

JCT
30 Apr 09,, 02:32
Its all fun and fair until somebody gets beamed in the head with a deck chair. Enjoy your headache *******!:));)

Hey hey hey! The village elders said it would be easy...just boat up to a ship, climb up a ladder, and all the nations of the world would deliver money by helo! Nobody said anything about getting hit on the head by a chair!

toemag
01 May 09,, 09:13
Well done that grumpy old deck chair throwing champion, could this be a new Olympic discipline in the making? Next time he should go to the bar and make a few Molotov cocktails for his new found friends.

I was watching CNN a few weeks ago and L Kings show had D Trump on as a studio guest who was basically PR'ing his new book, who made the comment that each ship needed one sniper/sharpshooter aboard to combat the problem.

The recession is hitting harder than most would have dared to guess, but the rest of commerce is being held to ransom by these third world bandits and are getting away with it, because we have to abide by international laws as regarding to firearms aboard ships, now why don't they capture and prosecute the pirate scum on the same ground's, oops sorry there I go again, silly me I totally forgot about their human rights...... Personally this backward way of thinking sinks ships... Deep six their boats and let them walk the plank....