What language do you think in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What language do you think in?

This may seem like a rather stupid question, but I posed this question to several naturalized immigrants and was very surprised with the answer. You can also ask this question to any multi-lingual person who is native American.

So go right ahead!!

I think in the language that I am about to speak/write. for instance, now I am thinking in english.

Comment

My native language is Slovak, but I use English so much and for so long I don't even think about it. When I am speaking to Slovakians, I automatically switch to the Slavic mind set. If I interject English into that conversation, I am thinking in Slavic mode so I guess it still rains supreme. It just depends on my situation I guess. For others it depends on how comfortable they are with the language. When I am speaking French or Russian, I have to get into the Latin or Slavic mode, but since I am so uncomfortable speaking the two I fall back on the one that is more relavent... English mindset for French and Slovak mindset for Russian. I tried learning Greek, but it is such a different base than what I am used to I think in the language I use everyday.... English.

Comment

Bostonian
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

mostly english with some chinese and taiwanese thrown in
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I don't know...
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Depends on the situation.

Workplace: English

At Home: Bengali

Social situations: depending on the crowd I am with, English or Bengali. On rare occassions, I may even be thinking (as opposed to speaking, which is much more common) in Hindi.

When I sleep, I think in Vulcan
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

I think in a cross between Homer Simpson and Beevis & Butthead.

Comment

Originally posted by Native View Post
                  I think in a cross between Homer Simpson and Beevis & Butthead.
                  Oh! you mean Swahili!!:))

Comment

Mixture of Hindi, English and Punjabi.
                    When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

English mostly with occasional thoughts in Malayalam
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

I think in American style English - Northern midwest from Wisconsin and southwest from California.

But my wife thinks in both Hungarian and English but does her math (bill paying time) in Spanish as she lived in Venezuela for 8 years after escaping from Hungary.

Some years ago when her brother in Venezuela died, she went down for the funeral services. Upon her arrival back in Long Beach, she was having trouble trying to speak English again because that whole week was in Spanish.

Yet she speaks Hungarian with her sister who now lives in Germany and married to a Japanese engineer. So their daughter speaks German, Hungarian, Japanese, Spanish, English, Italian, French and who knows what else. Very handy as she works for Lufthansa now.
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

English as it's my native language, & the only language I really know.

Nebula82.

Comment

English. Geordie a lot of the time but the rest in good old Queens English.
                            Nulli Secundus
                            People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                              So their daughter speaks German, Hungarian, Japanese, Spanish, English, Italian, French and who knows what else. Very handy as she works for Lufthansa now.
                              But what language does she think in?

I'm not quite certain what language I think in. I can only count in Chinese though.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X