Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Officials Confirm Israel Air Force Bombed Sudan Convoy

by Gil Ronen

(IsraelNN.com) United States officials have confirmed that Israel Air Force warplanes bombed a truck convoy in Sudan in January. The trucks were carrying arms that would be smuggled into Gaza for use against Israel, the officials said, according to a report in the New York Times.

Israel has refused to confirm or deny the attack, but Prime Minister Ehud Olmert made a statement, after the reports of the attack surfaced, that Israel has been striking at terror targets “near and far,” and warned enemies, “there is no place that Israel can't reach.”

Israel strikes terrorists “in the north and in the south... There's no need to mention details; people can use their imaginations,” Olmert said.

The American officials said Israel hit the convoy in order to prevent weapons from reaching Gaza during Operation Cast Lead.

The Times describes the sources as two American officials “who are privy to classified intelligence assessments.” The sources said that Iran had been involved in the effort to smuggle weapons to Gaza. According to intelligence reports, they added, an agent for Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards was in Sudan, coordinating the smuggling operation.

Iran funds, arms and trains two proxy armies on Israel’s borders: Hizbullah in the north and Hamas in the south.

Payback for International Court?
    Sudanese officials made news of the strike public on Thursday, when they claimed that “American fighters” bombed a convoy of trucks in eastern Sudan.

According to the Times, there was a possibility that the reason Sudan came out with the accusation now, two months after the alleged attack, was that it was reacting to a decision by the International Criminal Court to issue a warrant for the arrest of Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir, on war-crimes charges.

While other accounts said the death toll was fewer than 40, a Sudanese spokesman claimed that “more than 100 people” had been killed in the air raid, which he termed “a genocide, committed by U.S. forces.”

When asked how he knew the attackers were American, the spokesman said: “We don’t differentiate between the U.S. and Israel. They are all one.”

A spokesman for the United States Africa Command said U.S. forces had not attacked in Sudan. “The U.S. military has not conducted any airstrikes, fired any missiles or undertaken any combat operations in or around Sudan since October 2008, when U.S. Africa Command formally became responsible for U.S. military action in Africa,” he said.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/130642

When asked how he knew the attackers were American, the spokesman said: “We don’t differentiate between the U.S. and Israel. They are all one.”

More then likely reflecting his second grade education I'm guessing. On the other hand who cares they didnt get the weapons to smuggle into gaza and Iran footed the bill. All for nothing;)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

While other accounts said the death toll was fewer than 40, a Sudanese spokesman claimed that “more than 100 people” had been killed in the air raid, which he termed “a genocide, committed by U.S. forces.”
      More than 100 people is a genocide... He thinks small.

On the other hand, what route did the IAF take?
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Its a pity there wasn't any evidence published to substantiate that the arms were destined for the Palestinians

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
          Its a pity there wasn't any evidence published to substantiate that the arms were destined for the Palestinians
          Nor where they came from.;)
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Well like all my ancient Hebrew is a little scratchy, but from what I can gather from this.

Is that they launched the attack from an airbase in southern Iran, being the friends that they are with Iran, then they went around the whole of the Arabian peninsula and cut through Yemen facing no resistance from the Yemen Air Force, then they crossed into Sudan, bombed them and then cut through Egypt facing no resistance from the Egyptian Air Force for cutting through their airspace, and then came home in time for dinner.

Makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Steezy View Post

Well like all my ancient Hebrew is a little scratchy, but from what I can gather from this.

Is that they launched the attack from an airbase in southern Iran, being the friends that they are with Iran, then they went around the whole of the Arabian peninsula and cut through Yemen facing no resistance from the Yemen Air Force, then they crossed into Sudan, bombed them and then cut through Egypt facing no resistance from the Egyptian Air Force for cutting through their airspace, and then came home in time for dinner.

Makes sense to me.
              I don't know what the current relationship Israel has with Yemen is, but if I was an Egyptian, to overfly my airspace, without as much as a 'by your leave' would really piss me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
                I don't know what the current relationship Israel has with Yemen is, but if I was an Egyptian, to overfly my airspace, without as much as a 'by your leave' would really piss me off.
                The arrows indicate the smuggling not the flight route.
                The jets probably flow low over the red sea.

Comment

Originally posted by PanSonic View Post
                  The arrows indicate the smuggling not the flight route.
                  The jets probably flow low over the red sea.
                  Now that makes more sense, fly over Eilat and through the Gulf of Aqaba into the Red Sea somehow staying out of SA and Egypt's airspace and then attack Sudan directly from the Red Sea

I only know about all those names and places because I went on holiday to that area :)

There is no way they could've done that without getting on the radar of at least Egypt, they must've flown relatively close to the tourist hotspot of Sharm El-Sheik (nice place) if they went with that route
                  Last edited by Steezy; 13 Apr 09,, 19:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Steezy View Post

Makes sense to me.
                    haha. good times.
                    USS Toledo, SSN 769

Comment

Working...
                    X