Another What if Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another What if Thread

In May Rommel demanded that the High Command send an entire antiaircraft corps, a Nebelwerfer (rocket launcher) brigade, the 12 SS Panzer Division, and the Panzer Lehr Division to Normandy. Again, OKW turned down his request.

If the German high command would had listen and given full command of the Western Front, could he had been able to win the battle of Normandy, and furthermore would this had resulted in a different ending to WWII?
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Hi Reve ...

You can check out Cape Royd's summary of the 'Rommel vs the rest of the generals' debate about the Panzers' positioning at

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...76&postcount=7

Comment

Hey thanks for the post,

But remember most Allies commander would later admit that they feared an immediate attack, and Montgomery once said that an immediate attack on the beaches was the only thing that could have defeated the invasion force. Most of the German commanders showed this tactical flairs, and were able to threaten the landings without proper leadership.

I have heard the argument that the Allied Naval Guns and Aircrafts would had stop any attack. But i ask you, would they had risked hitting their own forces?. I am a big fan of both Rommel and Rundstedt but the encounter that Rundstedt proposed was impossible since for a large moving tank battle would had required massive air coverage seen only in the early days of blitzkrieg.
      Grand Admiral Thrawn

Comment

Rommel was always going to have a hard time convincing other German officers of a forward, pitched defence, Reve ... the lessons of the Russian front in '42-'44 had included that if the other side was able to concentrate their force against some section of your line that lacked depth, they were able to get into your rear and all the armour you had upfront was useless.

For the devastating effect of Allied seapower and artillery on defending a beach landing, you can read about Anzio.

Comment

Working...
        X