PDA

View Full Version : The PUMA

Debbie
07 Apr 09,, 15:38
Maybe GM should just file bankruptcy now and get it over with - http://media.gm.com/ProjectPUMA/index.html. Use the link for the photo

FOR RELEASE: 2009-04-07

CONTACTS

GM and Segway Join Forces to Reinvent Urban Transportation

Unique solution opens new horizons in personal mobility

Project P.U.M.A. Media Site

NEW YORK - General Motors Corp. and Segway today demonstrated a new type of vehicle that could change the way we move around in cities.

Dubbed Project P.U.M.A. (Personal Urban Mobility and Accessibility), GM and Segway are developing an electrically powered, two-seat prototype vehicle that has only two wheels. It could allow people to travel around cities more quickly, safely, quietly and cleanly - and at a lower total cost. The vehicle also enables design creativity, fashion, fun and social networking.

GM and Segway announced their collaboration, while demonstrating the Project P.U.M.A. prototype in New York City this morning.

"Project P.U.M.A. represents a unique solution to moving about and interacting in cities, where more than half of the world's people live," said Larry Burns, GM vice president of research and development, and strategic planning. "Imagine small, nimble electric vehicles that know where other moving objects are and avoid running into them. Now, connect those vehicles in an Internet-like web and you can greatly enhance the ability of people to move through cities, find places to park and connect to their social and business networks."

Trends indicate that urbanization is growing, and with that comes increased congestion and more competition for parking. Cities around the world are actively looking for solutions to alleviate congestion and pollution. Project P.U.M.A. addresses those concerns. It combines several technologies demonstrated by GM and Segway, including electric drive and batteries; dynamic stabilization (two-wheel balancing); all-electronic acceleration, steering and braking; vehicle-to-vehicle communications; and autonomous driving and parking. Those technologies integrate in Project P.U.M.A. to increase mobility freedom, while also enabling energy efficiency, zero emissions, enhanced safety, seamless connectivity and reduced congestion in cities.

"We are excited to be working together to demonstrate a dramatically different approach to urban mobility," said Jim Norrod, CEO of Segway Inc. "There's an emotional connection you get when using Segway products. The Project P.U.M.A. prototype vehicle embodies this through the combination of advanced technologies that Segway and GM bring to the table to complete the connection between the rider, environment, and others."

Translations

French
German
Italian
Korean
Spanish

Project P.U.M.A. vehicles will also allow designers to create new fashion trends for cars, and to focus on the passion and emotion that people express through their vehicles while creating solutions that anticipate the future needs of urban customers.

The Project P.U.M.A. prototype vehicle integrates a lithium-ion battery, digital smart energy management, two-wheel balancing, dual electric wheel motors, and a dockable user interface that allows off-board connectivity. The result is an advanced and functional concept that demonstrates the capabilities of technology that exists today.

Built to carry two or more passengers, it can travel at speeds up to 35 miles per hour (56 kph), with a range up to 35 miles (56 km) between recharges.

Since the introduction of the Segway Personal Transporter (PT), Segway has established itself as the leader in the small electric vehicle space. Its approach to congestion and environmental challenges is balanced with a strong understanding of the functional needs of its customers, enabling them to do more with less. Segway has delivered more than 60,000 lithium-ion batteries to the market.

GM has been a leader in "connected vehicle" technologies since it introduced OnStar in 1996. Today, this on-board communications package connects six million subscribers in North America to OnStar safety and security services. GM has also pioneered vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communications systems and transponder technology. These and additional connected vehicle technologies could ultimately enable vehicles that don't crash and drive themselves.

"Imagine moving about cities in a vehicle fashioned to your taste, that's fun to drive and ride in, that safely takes you where you want to go, and "connects" you to friends and family, while using clean, renewable energy, producing zero vehicle tailpipe emissions, and without the stress of traffic jams," said Burns. "And imagine doing this for one-fourth to one-third the cost of what you pay to own and operate today's automobile. This is what Project P.U.M.A. is capable of delivering."

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), one of the world's largest automakers, was founded in 1908, and today manufactures cars and trucks in 34 countries. With its global headquarters in Detroit, GM employs 243,000 people in every major region of the world, and sells and services vehicles in some 140 countries. In 2008, GM sold 8.35 million cars and trucks globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling. GM's largest national market is the United States, followed by China, Brazil, the United Kingdom, Canada, Russia and Germany. GM's OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

# # #

CONTACT(S):
General Motors
Pete Barkey
Manager, Fuel Cell, Electrical and Hydrogen Infrastructure Communications
Office: 248-857-1160
Mobile: 586-850-3569
E-mail: pete.barkey@gm.com

Segway
Carol Valianti
VP, Global Communications
Office: 603-222-6070 (work)
Mobile: 978-270-5119 (cell)
E-mail: carol.valianti@segway.com

Dreadnought
07 Apr 09,, 15:40
Debbs, So happy you found a new car. Will the shot gun rack and deer horns on the roof fit as well or does it already come furnished with one.:biggrin::P

Do Cougars drive Puma's? (You will notice this all comes back to the cat in the middle of the road idealisms):P;)

Debbie
07 Apr 09,, 20:30
Debbs, So happy you found a new car. Will the shot gun rack and deer horns on the roof fit as well or does it already come furnished with one.:biggrin::P

Now Dreads........it's not the shotguns that I need to worry about it's making sure that I can load 2x6's and concrete sacks in the thing.

Besides, I kind of like the Nissan Cube.

Kernow
07 Apr 09,, 21:15
I can't see that thing taking off in the States, can anyone else?

cape_royds
07 Apr 09,, 21:51
Every tool for its task. Since most urban commutes are single-occupant, most city traffic seldom averages more than 30 mph, and parking is a big problem, a small electric vehicle could make good sense for quite a few people.

A small electric commuter car would give many people more flexibility and convenience than mass transit, without clogging the streets with vehicles that are oversized and overpowered for their principal daily use. After all, is it sensible to have many large motors idling at red lights, or to have so much valuable city real estate taken up by parked vehicles, each of which is only used a couple of hours a day?

The idea is not to eliminate larger or more powerful vehicles, but rather to give drivers a wider choice of autos. Right now, even the low-end economy cars are larger and more powerful than is really needed for many urban commuters. Again, every tool for its task.

As for all the social networking and stuff, that just sounds like the usual marketing babble. Obviously not aimed at my generation...

gunnut
07 Apr 09,, 22:07
I can't see that thing taking off in the States, can anyone else?

Maybe in a few urban areas in the northeast and Hippieville in northern California.

But even then, whoever owns one of these needs a real car to leave town. I don't see anyone driving this to visit family and friends 50 miles away (assuming a single charge can get this far). We end up with 2 cars anyways. What does 2 cars mean? More money. I don't know about you guys but I can only afford 1 car for myself. Why would I want 2 cars when I'm single? If I were married, I have better places to spend money on than this niche toy.

tim52
08 Apr 09,, 14:27
Do Cougars drive Puma's?

Now that's funny - cold but funny. :biggrin:

Debbie
09 Apr 09,, 03:29
Do Cougars drive Puma's?

Are you calling yourself a Puma now?

Dreadnought
09 Apr 09,, 13:21
Are you calling yourself a Puma now?

Ah, so in asking that question you are readily accepting the title Cougar.:)):P

Debbie
09 Apr 09,, 16:32

Thought everyone knew that:rolleyes:

Ytlas
09 Apr 09,, 17:15

Hey Dread, some women are so old they can't help being Cougars...'specially the ones from small towns.

Dreadnought
09 Apr 09,, 17:33
Some Cougars are actually pretty fun from what I have found. Not all but some.:)

Ytlas
09 Apr 09,, 17:52
Some Cougars are actually pretty fun from what I have found. Not all but some.:)

Hide their glasses, block the wheels to their wheelchair?

Dreadnought
09 Apr 09,, 17:53
Hide their glasses, block the wheels to their wheelchair?

:)):))

Debbie
10 Apr 09,, 03:32
Hey Dread, some women are so old they can't help being Cougars...'specially the ones from small towns.

You would need a "cougar" in her 70's wouldn't you?:biggrin:

Ytlas
10 Apr 09,, 14:51
You would need a "cougar" in her 70's wouldn't you?

Sorry, no thanks. But we can still be friends.

Dreadnought
10 Apr 09,, 14:57

:biggrin:

Debbie
10 Apr 09,, 20:10

Very funny and I am not that old, but you are on your last leg aren't you?:biggrin::tongue:

Ytlas
10 Apr 09,, 20:41
Very funny and I am not that old, but you are on your last leg aren't you?:biggrin::tongue:

Yes I am and it's a bad leg, please be gentle.

Dreadnought
13 Apr 09,, 17:20
Yes I am and it's a bad leg, please be gentle.

Be careful, she might just drag you by that bad leg into the middle of the road in front of her place like many before you.;):))

Ytlas
13 Apr 09,, 19:58
Be careful, she might just drag you by that bad leg into the middle of the road in front of her place like many before you.;):))

That's ok, the only bad leg I have is the one I've let some people pull on.

I'd be more worried about what's buried in a certain person's front, back, and side yards.

Debbie
13 Apr 09,, 20:24

Stop telling lies ------- I'd use the bobcat for that sort of thing instead.:biggrin:

Debbie
13 Apr 09,, 20:25
I'd be more worried about what's buried in a certain person's front, back, and side yards.

Makes better sense to put bodies in the farm field for fertilizer. But I understand that is just a rumour.:rolleyes:

Ytlas
13 Apr 09,, 20:36
Makes better sense to but bodies in the farm field for fertilizer. But I understand that is just a rumour.:rolleyes:

I was just checking to see if you were lurking around the WAB.

I thought the idea was to cover the bodies with lime to speed decomposition and to mask odors.

Debbie
13 Apr 09,, 21:52
I thought the idea was to cover the bodies with lime to speed decomposition and to mask odors.

Well, where I'm at it really doesn't matter.....and if the bodies are all buried in one field there isn't much stink. So I've heard.

Dreadnought
13 Apr 09,, 21:54
Stop telling lies ------- I'd use the bobcat for that sort of thing instead.:biggrin:

Oh man there goes the neighborhood Deb knows how to drive a bobcat. No wonder how she can remove the carcases from the missle of the road so quickly.:eek:

Dreadnought
13 Apr 09,, 21:55

Personally I prefer mothballs and a Cat B status.:));)

Ytlas
13 Apr 09,, 22:08
Oh man there goes the neighborhood Deb knows how to drive a bobcat.

A Cougar on a Bobcat?

gunnut
13 Apr 09,, 22:43
A Cougar on a Bobcat?

Looking for her cub?

Debbie
14 Apr 09,, 04:04
Now you men are having way to much fun with me aren't you?

Dreadnought
14 Apr 09,, 13:12
Now you men are having way to much fun with me aren't you?

Perish the though Ms Deb, We havent even begun yet.:biggrin: