• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridiculous item of the day

seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/216218_dozer16,html

Wednesday, March 16, 2005
    Parents sue maker of bulldozer that killed local protester in Mideast
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES
    The parents of a 23-year-old Olympia woman who was run over and killed by an Israeli army bulldozer while protesting against the destruction of Palestinian homes filed suit yesterday in U.S. District Court against the manufacturer of the bulldozer that killed her.
    The suit against Caterpillar Inc. alleges that the company "violated international and state law by providing specially designed bulldozers to Israeli Defense Forces that it knew would be used to demolish homes and endanger civilians," according to a news release.
    A suit was also to be filed in Israel yesterday against Israel, the Israeli Defense Ministry and the Israeli Defense Forces.
    Rachel Corrie, who was a student at The Evergreen State College, was killed two years ago today.
    -----

Do they really get any legal advice?...or are their lawyers smoking something new?

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

I read Rambo's thread and now this.

I confess I cannot understand.

I am sure someone will sue God one day. And the reason will be equally nuts.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

They should sue Evergreen State College, because that's where Rachel got her brainwashing. I know this for a fact- I lived in Olympia at the time and had a girlfriend who went to school with Rachel. I read some of her coursework- it was downright delusional. Rachel was a victim of a failed education system, and parents who didn't care enough or were too apathetic about their daughter's education.
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Good title for this thread...
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

We need court reform soo badly.... We need to make it so that the loser pays ALL cost(including the opposition's laywer fees.) This would end these sorry, frivilous lawsuits.
            "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

The numbers of lawyers should be regulated like doctors are. If the fewer lawyers are too busy with real cases, most of the frivolus cases would be kept to a minimum. A "three frivalous cases and your out" law would also weed out the ambulance chasers.
              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea
                They should sue Evergreen State College, because that's where Rachel got her brainwashing. I know this for a fact- I lived in Olympia at the time and had a girlfriend who went to school with Rachel. I read some of her coursework- it was downright delusional. Rachel was a victim of a failed education system, and parents who didn't care enough or were too apathetic about their daughter's education.
                Its amazing what garbage is taught in our schools these days

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                  seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/216218_dozer16,html

The suit against Caterpillar Inc. alleges that the company "violated international and state law by providing specially designed bulldozers to Israeli Defense Forces that it knew would be used to demolish homes and endanger civilians," -----

Where can I get one?
                  sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici
                    We need court reform soo badly.... We need to make it so that the loser pays ALL cost(including the opposition's laywer fees.) This would end these sorry, frivilous lawsuits.
                    This is an unrealistic expectation as lawsuits don't always turn out how people might expect. For example, would you like the US gov't to pick up the tab for Robert Blake's lawyers? There should be the option to countersue to recover court costs for cases deemed frivilous though.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                      Its amazing what garbage is taught in our schools these days
                      Well, its all the same if you are anti-intellectual.

Comment

Originally posted by barrowaj
                        This is an unrealistic expectation as lawsuits don't always turn out how people might expect. For example, would you like the US gov't to pick up the tab for Robert Blake's lawyers? There should be the option to countersue to recover court costs for cases deemed frivilous though.
                        I think VVV was referring to civil suits. When the government brings criminal charges, they have the obligation to provide council if the defendent can't afford it.

In civil cases, there are provisions for the winner to be awarded legal costs, but it is an arbritary amount determined by the court. If you have decent lawyers, the amount awarded by the court won't come anywhere near the actual costs- and that's where the problem lies. A party to a civil suit knows that if he doesn't spend as much as he can on lawyers, he has a lesser chance of prevailing, even if he's in the right. The other side can just outspend him and force him into a settlement. I've been involved in these things more than once, and it's a sleazy game.

That's how it works these days. Civil suits are just a legalized form of extortion for most people. In the abovementioned case, it's the deep pockets of Caterpillar that is the attraction to the lawyers.

Who put Rachel in front of that bulldozer? It was a Palestinian support league. Who was responsible for her safety? Herself and her Palestinian minders. But they have no money, they are non-profit organizations that depend on donations and volunteers. So the lawyers don't go after them, they go after Caterpillar.

The lawyers also know how a jury will respond. You will have Rachel's distraught parents there, and some high priced lawyers from a multi-million dollar company. Juries will tend to be sympathetic to the parents, who are portrayed as the victim, and less sympathetic to the corporation, who is seen as faceless and impersonal.
                        Last edited by highsea; 24 Mar 05,, 03:15.
                        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Working...
                        X