Bluesman, Op Eval request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluesman, Op Eval request

Is there a place for a Canadian combat brigade in Afghanistan in 2006? I mean bde lvl ops instead of an admin HQ for bns and coys.

For the rest of you as to why 2006, it would take us that long to field a bde (after the op ends in Yugoslavia and the ISAF) to Afghanistan.

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
    Is there a place for a Canadian combat brigade in Afghanistan in 2006? I mean bde lvl ops instead of an admin HQ for bns and coys.

For the rest of you as to why 2006, it would take us that long to field a bde (after the op ends in Yugoslavia and the ISAF) to Afghanistan.
    This is JUST the view of a 'professional amateur', you understand, not a carefully considered and meticulously staffed oplan from a J3, and not SOCOM's actual scheme. Just my opinion, as seen from my seat here in HQ. 'Kay?

ANYhoo...

Ops are usually directed by battalions and companies, with battalion ops concerned with three major tasks (in order of importance):
    1) Border security and control,
    2) Security of major fixed installations, and
    3) Out-sized CT operations and offensive strikes on suspected targets.

Companies are into the scut work of prosecuting the tasks doled out by their battalions - patrolling, kickin' in doors of suspected facilitators, etc. Sweaty stuff, and they work on an internal rotation (one platoon ON, one platoon READY, one platoon DOWN), so they can be 'on-line' for longer periods of time before they trade out with a like unit.

This is not to suggest that any lower-echelon formations operate independently, except for Task Forces (but that is their role, anyway). Brigade command stays fully engaged in day-to-day direction of activities; but their sub-units execute their own staff work and planning (from what I can tell). Seems like the uber-HQs tell their guys which eggs to suck, but doesn't tell 'em HOW to suck eggs. :)

If a brigade were to seek an operational role, I would think it would fit best in Role #1 - Border Control on the Af-Pak frontier, as that is the only 'big picture' task that we've got goin'. Mostly, Orders of the Day are just to keep chasing Haji up and down the mountain, ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
      This is JUST the view of a 'professional amateur', you understand, not a carefully considered and meticulously staffed oplan from a J3, and not SOCOM's actual scheme. Just my opinion, as seen from my seat here in HQ. 'Kay?
      My apologies for not qualifying the kind of expertise I was looking for which is exactly what you have provided. I was just not aware of any need for a combat brigade in Afghanistan and was wondering where could such an echelon fit.

My thanks for the info and this gives me an insight of what's going on and what my people are thinking.

Comment

Working...
      X