PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a job!

TopHatter
04 Mar 09,, 01:45
Well, after 6 months of hand-wringing and worrying, I've finally been offered a position with another company, doing much the same thing I was doing before, at the same salary, which is exactly what I wanted.

I haven't been without work this long since I first started working at the tender age of 15 (earliest you can legally work in Illinois). Heck I had a union card before I had a driver's license :redface:

And I've worked my tail off for the past 18 years pretty much without pause, until now. And now that comes to end on Monday.

Folks, it's a friggin' GREAT DAY! :)

gunnut
04 Mar 09,, 01:49
w00t

Congratulations.

I was without a job for 10 months and without pay for 7 months 2 years ago. I really enjoyed all the naps and the TV shows I could catch during the day. Not having any spending money sucked though.

Kernow
04 Mar 09,, 01:51
Congrats.

Triple C
04 Mar 09,, 02:04
Congratulations! That's a great deal!

Ytlas
04 Mar 09,, 02:39
Well, after 6 months of hand-wringing and worrying, I've finally been offered a position with another company, doing much the same thing I was doing before, at the same salary, which is exactly what I wanted.

--yawn--

Sounds like you're "spinning your wheels." Why not something better than what you were doing? :)

xinhui
04 Mar 09,, 02:55
it is indeed a good news especially given today economic condition. Congrats

LetsTalk
04 Mar 09,, 03:04
Great news TopHatter!

Best of luck in your new position.

Shek
04 Mar 09,, 03:06
Congrats! Guess we won't be seeing you aboard as much, eh?

Kernow
04 Mar 09,, 03:07
--yawn--

Sounds like you're "spinning your wheels." Why not something better than what you were doing? :)

Give the man credit, rather than be rude. I can imagine it would be very difficult to find a job considering the current economic climate. :)

TopHatter
04 Mar 09,, 03:16
--yawn--

Ah yes, it just wouldn't be the same with a certain "salty" old goat yanking my chain a little :))

Give the man credit, rather than be rude. I can imagine it would be very difficult to find a job considering the current economic climate. :)

No worries, Ytlas is an old comrade from years gone by (not as many years as his aging bowling shoes of course) and that's his way of giving a hearty congratulations :)

Kernow
04 Mar 09,, 03:19
Oooops sorry.

xerxes
04 Mar 09,, 03:41
Congragulation,

Must be tough, espacially in this time

If, I may ask, while you were looking for another job for this certain period of time, did you ever consider going back to school?

TopHatter
04 Mar 09,, 03:48
Congragulation,

Must be tough, espacially in this time

If, I may ask, while you were looking for another job for this certain period of time, did you ever consider going back to school?

I was looking, albeit not very hard, because there was so little to even consider (actually none) for someone of my background.

Florida unfortunately is in double-digit unemployment right now, which is only a little worse than what it usually is :redface:

I'd love to go to school, except that money was and is extremely tight. It's always a consideration for the future though.

The great thing about this job is that I'll be able to hit the ground running and make immediate and tangible contributions to the bottom line pretty much from Day One.

I won't have a precise 'job position' exactly, but be more of a roving troubleshooter throughout pretty much all of the departments, as I have extensive experience in the industry, which is something this company truly needs. I'm really looking forward to this, I can't say that enough.

Ironduke
04 Mar 09,, 04:29
Congrats. :)

I've read that home prices in your hometown are at about 1/3 of what they were a year ago... might be a advantageous time to get a piece of real estate.

ArmchairGeneral
04 Mar 09,, 04:40
Awesome! Sucks to be unemployed...most of the time. I'm rather enjoying being a bum right now, but it'll get old fast.

Bigfella
04 Mar 09,, 04:46
Good News!!. Spent some time unemployed when I was younger. Not fun.

Ytlas
04 Mar 09,, 04:51
No worries, Ytlas is an old comrade from years gone by (not as many years as his aging bowling shoes of course) and that's his way of giving a hearty congratulations :)

Yeah, ok. Happy @#%*&@ job Grasshopper.

silentsam
04 Mar 09,, 04:59
Congratulations. Whatever one can do to get out of the unemployment line at this point is worthwhile.

bonehead
04 Mar 09,, 05:37
TH has a new job. Sweet......Totally........:biggrin:

devgupt
04 Mar 09,, 06:11
It is said 'Work is Worship'
It can be stretched to argue that those who are unemployed are atheist.:tongue:
Stretching it futher I would say you have changed from being an atheist to a theist.:)
Welcome to the Church:biggrin:

Kommunist
04 Mar 09,, 07:59
Congratulations sir........

Calls for a drink. Cheers.

(Getting a job nowadays is quite tough, as layoffs are still going on in most countries in the world. Hats off to you for defying the odds and congrats once again)

Walking Dead
04 Mar 09,, 08:45
Contrats Comrade. I am interviewing for a new job this week as well. Also, same thing I am doing now. Just hoping for higher salary. :))

Parihaka
04 Mar 09,, 09:32

I haven't been without work this long since I first started working at the tender age of 15 (earliest you can legally work in Illinois). Heck I had a union card before I had a driver's license :redface:

And I've worked my tail off for the past 18 years pretty much without pause, until now. And now that comes to end on Monday.

Folks, it's a friggin' GREAT DAY! :)

Fantastic matey, well done. must admit I was worried about you having resigned just before things went ****-up but quality will out they say:cool:

Southie
04 Mar 09,, 13:35
Great news TH! Drinks are on you...right? :biggrin:

dave lukins
04 Mar 09,, 14:43
Ah yes, it just wouldn't be the same with a certain "salty" old goat yanking my chain a little :))
Plus having your finger close to the 'banish' button helps:))

Florida unfortunately is in double-digit unemployment right now, which is only a little worse than what it usually is :redface:
What:eek: there are now 10 people unemployed in the whole of Florida:rolleyes:

What:eek: there are now 10 people unemployed in the whole of Florida:rolleyes:

Good News!!. Spent some time unemployed when I was younger. Not fun.

Was that before electricity:))

TopHatter
04 Mar 09,, 15:11
Thank you all again for your best wishes, makes me feel really good to know my friends are happy for me :)

Fantastic matey, well done. must admit I was worried about you having resigned just before things went ****-up but quality will out they say:cool:

You know it's funny...due to various agreements and non-compete clauses, this little opportunity would have been impossible a year ago and I would have suggested that anybody predicting it was smoking crack.

But an amazing set of circumstances all came together, including my then-insane move of leaving my job when I did, and now here I am. :redface:

Great news TH! Drinks are on you...right? :biggrin:
Yep! And I can finally go out once in awhile without feeling guilty about it :))

Plus having your finger close to the 'banish' button helps:))Nah, he's too salty to care about that sort of thing and I could never liquidate an old comrade. :redface:

Ytlas
04 Mar 09,, 15:57
Plus having your finger close to the 'banish' button helps:))

You can take that banish comment................

I've known TopHatter for 10 years now, phoned a few times, IM'd countless times.

Albany Rifles
04 Mar 09,, 19:39
Congrats!

A lot of that going around.

astralis
04 Mar 09,, 19:52
excellent news, now that TH is rich and all, let's start helping him redistribute that ;)

xinhui
04 Mar 09,, 22:22
My history is a bit weak, but isn't the job of the commissar is to redistribute "other" people's money?

TopHatter
04 Mar 09,, 22:34
excellent news, now that TH is rich and all, let's start helping him redistribute that ;)

Ah yes, paying taxes again. That'll be an interesting change of pace.

My history is a bit weak, but isn't the job of the commissar is to redistribute "other" people's money?

Here in the Worker's Paradise, the people already own everything! So truly there isn't really "other" people's money. :)

Dreadnought
04 Mar 09,, 22:36
Congrads TH, Glad to see you landed on your feet again.:cool:;)

dalem
04 Mar 09,, 23:08
Congrats! I know the worry, I know the relief.

-dale

Debbie
05 Mar 09,, 02:07
Fantastic news and I am more than happy for you. Now then, when and where is the party?

Kommunist
15 Mar 09,, 20:45
Hi Tophatter? Liking work? Hows work and workplace conditions, satisfactory? Thats very important in the long run. :)

Ytlas
15 Mar 09,, 22:44
Yeah, how was the first week? Still have the job?

Knew a guy who saved his bosses $7k the first week by identifying a load of counterfeit Intel chips and saved his companies reputation with a valued customer.

Your week probably wasn't that exciting...

TopHatter
15 Mar 09,, 23:56
Hi Tophatter? Liking work? Hows work and workplace conditions, satisfactory? Thats very important in the long run. :)

Work and workplace conditions are perfectly acceptable and we'll be moving to a nice larger building by April.

The downside is, I currently have an easy 20 minute drive to work, compared with my former job, which was a minimum of 40 minutes and more like 60 minutes during snowbird season.

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of you out there with much longer drives. ;) This new building will be a bit further away but still not as bad as the previous place.

Yeah, how was the first week? Still have the job?Oddly enough, yes. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but they won't let me go for some reaon.

Knew a guy who saved his bosses $7k the first week by identifying a load of counterfeit Intel chips and saved his companies reputation with a valued customer. Sounds more like an idiot that got lucky. Bet he couldn't tell a counterfeit microchip from a genuine potato chip :rolleyes:

Your week probably wasn't that exciting...Yeah, not really anything going on.

TopHatter
20 Mar 09,, 02:02
Was working "part-time" 30 hours a week. Just got bumped up to full-time.

Life is so good :redface:

Ytlas
20 Mar 09,, 02:17

More hours, same pay (salary)?

Wonder why you had to wait so long to find a job?

Debbie
20 Mar 09,, 04:15

Wonderful - glad to hear it. :))

TopHatter
20 Mar 09,, 04:22
More hours, same pay (salary)?

Wonder why you had to wait so long to find a job?

Actually it's possible that I'll stay hourly. Also, f a project comes off the way I'm hoping it to, I'll pick up an easy $250 bonus.

Hasn't really been discussed yet though but I won't mind one bit if I'm moved to salary.
10% unemployment in the Fort Myers area? No, I won't mind it mind one bit.

Ironduke
20 Mar 09,, 04:23
The downside is, I currently have an easy 20 minute drive to work, compared with my former job, which was a minimum of 40 minutes and more like 60 minutes during snowbird season.

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of you out there with much longer drives. ;) This new building will be a bit further away but still not as bad as the previous place.
20 minutes now compared to 40-60 minutes before? Isn't that a good thing?

I have a 2 mile drive myself. :)

TopHatter
20 Mar 09,, 04:24
Wonderful - glad to hear it. :))

Thanks, I'm ready to reap the rewards for the last 5 years of very hard work and the last 6 months of uncertainty. :)

Johnny W
20 Mar 09,, 15:24
Congratulations, and I completely understand about the uncertainty. I work for one of the big banks, and there is definitely a lot of uncertainty these days.

TopHatter
23 Mar 09,, 01:52
Congratulations, and I completely understand about the uncertainty. I work for one of the big banks, and there is definitely a lot of uncertainty these days.

I can well imagine. I don't envy the rank-and-file in your industry one bit :(