PDA

View Full Version : Iskander BM

xinhui
20 Feb 09,, 17:35
Was asked about Iskander BM recently, Guys, do you have any more things to add besides what is available from janes and wiki?

According to the Russian press, Iskander missiles can be retargeted in flight, a feature that can exploit targeting data from the Beriev A-50 'Mainstay' airborne early warning and control aircraft. Until now, the latter has been assumed to be for use against air targets only. If the A-50 can be used to target tactical ballistic missiles, its Shmel surveillance radar system may have a limited degree of air-to-surface capability.

There were a lot of hoola, but what is the actual operational status?

Thanks in advance.

biteasaur
20 Feb 09,, 22:05
overrated,they supposidly ramped up production on the engines and missille,supposedly evades anything the u.s has,yeah right the u.s has so many different systems,bet it gets shot down or doesnt work half the time the way they rush things,look at buluva or topal which everone that has had misfires,explosions,cant hit target whatever.doesnt impress me.

NUS
21 Feb 09,, 06:36
According to the Russian press, Iskander missiles can be retargeted in flight, a feature that can exploit targeting data from the Beriev A-50 'Mainstay' airborne early warning and control aircraft. Until now, the latter has been assumed to be for use against air targets only. If the A-50 can be used to target tactical ballistic missiles, its Shmel surveillance radar system may have a limited degree of air-to-surface capability.

I dont know about K or M versions, but export Iskander-E version use optical targeting mode in a final stage of the flight. So, even if re-tageting is possible, it comes with reduced accuracy of inertial guidance - A-50 can't provide optical imaging with radar.

There were a lot of hoola, but what is the actual operational status? AFAIK, serial production has begun. At least engine production plant in Omsk have an order big enough to keep it busy for 5 years.

Kommunist
21 Feb 09,, 19:36
overrated,they supposedly ramped up production on the engines and missille,supposedly evades anything the u.s has,yeah right the u.s has so many different systems,bet it gets shot down or doesnt work half the time the way they rush things,look at buluva or topal which everone that has had misfires,explosions,cant hit target whatever.doesn't impress me.

Its not an ICBM, its a SRBM, which means lesser time to strike after launching, and hence lesser reaction time for ABMs. As you quoted the Topol, and Bulava, I have to point out that Topol is already deployed.
The Bulava has failed in 5 out of 10 tests. It is very complex (as it has to be able to beat any ABM system in the world), and hence the problems in development.

As long as the European countries near which its deployed, and the US are impressed, the Russian job is done.

chakos
21 Feb 09,, 22:55
Slightly off topic but i dont see why the Russians concentrate more on advanced warhead and guidance options for the SS-18 Satan. That was the one weapon the US really feared. The thing could easily carry 10 new generations MIRVs as well as almost double that number of decoys. The missile tech is mature and the damn thing works. As well as that its a freaking scary system.

chlensoe
22 Feb 09,, 13:16
SS-18 missile is not produced more.

xinhui
23 Feb 09,, 03:54
Thanks everyone for the imput. Iskander looks very impressive on paper, but if it is indeed a replacement for SCUD, it seems overkill. Also, I am still don't have a clear picture of the chain and command yet.

Equilibrium
23 Feb 09,, 20:28
SS-18 missile is not produced more.

I believe it was also originally produced in Ukraine. I also think that there are only about 50 in the arsenal.

biteasaur
23 Feb 09,, 22:01
during last summers short russian/georgian war didnt the georgians parade around with some iskanders that had been fired and recovered unexploded,i remember the pictures ,what were the missilles.anyone.

gabriel
23 Feb 09,, 22:21
during last summers short russian/georgian war didnt the georgians parade around with some iskanders that had been fired and recovered unexploded,i remember the pictures ,what were the missilles.anyone.

my guess is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTR-21_Tochka

gabriel
23 Feb 09,, 22:34
like that? :)

gabriel
24 Feb 09,, 02:59
Was asked about Iskander BM recently, Guys, do you have any more things to add besides what is available from janes and wiki?
There were a lot of hoola, but what is the actual operational status?
Thanks in advance.

Do you understand russian ?
http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=66784&cid=25

Volga-Ural military district news.

chakos
24 Feb 09,, 04:00
like that? :)

The driver of that car is the luckiest SOB on the planet...

Walking Dead
24 Feb 09,, 04:43
Do you understand russian ?
http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=66784&cid=25

Volga-Ural military district news.

From the article:

ЕКАТЕРИНБУРГ, 17 февраля. (ИТАР-ТАСС). На вооружение войск Приволжско-Уральского военного округа (ПУрВО) в этом году поступят оперативно-тактические ракетные комплексы "Искандер". Об этом на встрече с журналистами в Екатеринбурге сообщил командующий войсками округа генерал-лейтенант Аркадий Бахин. "Перевооружение войск является приоритетной задачей Минобороны РФ. Программа долгосрочная и рассчитана до 2020 года. Сокращения в связи с кризисом этих программ в бюджете страны не будет", - отметил Аркадий Бахин.

По его словам, в ближайшее время войска ПУрВО получат порядка 6 тыс. ед. модернизированной военной техники. "К сожалению, пока предприятия ОПК не могут оснастить наши части только новой техникой, и поэтому упор делается на модернизацию. Между тем перевооружение частей Минобороны РФ продолжается, хотя не так быстро как хотелось бы", - сообщил Аркадий Бахин.

Too many words to translate and I am too tired but, to PARAPHRASE the main premise to get the meaning to you guys.

This year, the forces in the Ural area will receive Iskanders as part of a re-arming strategy. This program is put in place ahead of schedule and won't fall under the budget cut programs.

Very high level article. If you want anything else translated let me know.

biteasaur
24 Feb 09,, 18:16
that is some of the pics i seen gabriel,there was some warhead shots too paraded around,i cant locate now.what was the medium range tactical missille that u.s had in europe in the 80"s.anyone.

xinhui
24 Feb 09,, 18:31
From the article:

Too many words to translate and I am too tired but, to PARAPHRASE the main premise to get the meaning to you guys.

This year, the forces in the Ural area will receive Iskanders as part of a re-arming strategy. This program is put in place ahead of schedule and won't fall under the budget cut programs.

Very high level article. If you want anything else translated let me know.

My thanks!

gabriel
24 Feb 09,, 23:01
that is some of the pics i seen gabriel,there was some warhead shots too paraded around,i cant locate now.what was the medium range tactical missille that u.s had in europe in the 80"s.anyone.

Make your pick:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM-52_Lance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLCM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pershing_II#Pershing_II

biteasaur
25 Feb 09,, 15:26
thank you kindly.i couldnt remember those missiles.