PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Olympics: Team Canada

JA Boomer
19 Feb 09,, 21:44
A few of the major sports networks have released their predictions for the 2010 Team Canada Olympic Roster:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/02/09/olympics-canada-hockey.html
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=5300.html?lid=sublink06&lpos=topRelated_olympics
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview2008/news/story?id=3619439

Here’s my version of the Canadian Dream Team for 2010:

Forwards:

Jarome Iginla "C"
Sidney Crosby
Vincent Lecavalier
Dany Heatley
Rick Nash
Shane Doan "A"
Joe Thornton
Mike Richards
Ryan Getzlaf
Jeff Carter
Patrick Marleau
Simon Gagne
Marc Savard

Defense:

Dan Boyle
Jay Bouwmeester
Dion Phaneuf
Robyn Regehr
Mike Green
Chris Pronger
Scott Niedermayer "A"

Goalies:

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Steve Mason

People say we have to be tough and gritty, but I believe the players on this roster provide enough grit by themselves without having to throw on some players more known for their grittiness than playmaking ability.

The only thing I worry about is the PK. Do enough of these star forwards get enough PK time with their respective NHL clubs to do an adequate job in the Olympics? I would say yes, as guys like Richards, Marleau, Nash, and Doan get plenty of PK time. If it became apparent that these forwards wouldn’t be able to handle the firepower of some of the power play units in the Olympics, then you’d have to think about inserting a few guys like Brenden Morrow, who give you great PK skills while still providing decent offensive ability.

Mobbme
20 Feb 09,, 00:48
Alot of the analysts are forgetting the most important name, he's been injured for quite some time now, but he will be the Captain when he returns:

Joe Sakic

P.S I don't think Gagne will make the team.

JA Boomer
20 Feb 09,, 00:51
Alot of the analysts are forgetting the most important name, he's been injured for quite some time now, but he will be the Captain when he returns:

Joe Sakic

I honestly don't think they are forgetting about him. If he does not retire after this season (which I think he very well might) I think he will have the same sense that Stevie Y did when he was that age and take himself out of consideration. Let's face it, stats and performance wise he should not be on the team anymore, and I'm not sure his quiet leadership is that helpful in a short tournament (I didn't appear to be in Turin, not that I am heaping that whole mess on Burnaby Joe).

Mobbme
20 Feb 09,, 00:56
I guess we'll have to see when he returns. Its when Mario Lemieux was still in the league, and Gretzky said there was no question he'd be the captain in 02' even though Mario wasn't playing as the 'magnificent' one. Its all about respect, and just having a name like that represent your country "Joe Sakic" is amazing. I think he'll be fine when he returns, and if he isn't, then he'll just have to admit it and pass.

I also think Lecavalier is wayyy overrated. Brad Richards was the anchor of that stanley cup team but at times he looks a bit off. They're pressing Lecavalier too hard as the face of the franchise, and he's not really living up to it, and never has been. I like all your pics though, I agree with each and every one except Gagne.

I'm excited to see Mike Green in there :))

JA Boomer
20 Feb 09,, 01:04
I guess we'll have to see when he returns. Its when Mario Lemieux was still in the league, and Gretzky said there was no question he'd be the captain in 02' even though Mario wasn't playing as the 'magnificent' one. Its all about respect, and just having a name like that represent your country "Joe Sakic" is amazing. I think he'll be fine when he returns, and if he isn't, then he'll just have to admit it and pass.

I think if he's still playing next year he will take a pass. Otherwise you almost have place his as the captain of the team just out of respect for his career and his play for Canada throughout the years. But I think both Stevie Y and myself know that he might not necessarily be the best choice.

I also think Lecavalier is wayyy overrated. Brad Richards was the anchor of that stanley cup team but at times he looks a bit off.

Can't disagree with you, your touching painful memories there as I'm a Flames fan. But Brad Richards had a really disappointing season last year, and has not quite thrown himself up to the same level yet this year, so he remains out of the mix.

I like all your pics though, I agree with each and every one except Gagne.

Well, he's having a quietly exceptional comeback season this year after being injured last season. Plus 2 Olympics on the resume (not that I think that necessarily counts for much).

I'm excited to see Mike Green in there :))

I know...this guy comes out of know where and is easily the best offensive defenseman in the league!

Mobbme
20 Feb 09,, 05:11
I know...this guy comes out of know where and is easily the best offensive defenseman in the league!

:)):))

Mike Green broke the NHL record for consecutive games with a goal by a defenseman

:)

Capitals are my favourite team this year because they're just so exciting to watch.

Exarecr
20 Feb 09,, 15:00
A few of the major sports networks have released their predictions for the 2010 Team Canada Olympic Roster:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/02/09/olympics-canada-hockey.html
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=5300.html?lid=sublink06&lpos=topRelated_olympics
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview2008/news/story?id=3619439

Here’s my version of the Canadian Dream Team for 2010:

Forwards:

Jarome Iginla "C"
Sidney Crosby
Vincent Lecavalier
Dany Heatley
Rick Nash
Shane Doan "A"
Joe Thornton
Mike Richards
Ryan Getzlaf
Jeff Carter
Patrick Marleau
Simon Gagne
Marc Savard

Defense:

Dan Boyle
Jay Bouwmeester
Dion Phaneuf
Robyn Regehr
Mike Green
Chris Pronger
Scott Niedermayer "A"

Goalies:

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Steve Mason

People say we have to be tough and gritty, but I believe the players on this roster provide enough grit by themselves without having to throw on some players more known for their grittiness than playmaking ability.

The only thing I worry about is the PK. Do enough of these star forwards get enough PK time with their respective NHL clubs to do an adequate job in the Olympics? I would say yes, as guys like Richards, Marleau, Nash, and Doan get plenty of PK time. If it became apparent that these forwards wouldn’t be able to handle the firepower of some of the power play units in the Olympics, then you’d have to think about inserting a few guys like Brenden Morrow, who give you great PK skills while still providing decent offensive ability.

Wow,this is the same team TSN picked.Your right mobbme,Lecavalier is way over rated. Sakic,if he were really healthy would be my pick instead.

JA Boomer
20 Feb 09,, 17:05
Wow,this is the same team TSN picked.Your right mobbme,Lecavalier is way over rated. Sakic,if he were really healthy would be my pick instead.

Actually, my team has differences with all three of the teams picked by the networks :).

Coming off 108 and 92 point seasons, and just slightly under a point per game so far this season. Lecavalier isn't my favorite player, but deserves to be on this team.

I'm still not convinced in Sakic...we tried the old guard thing at Turin, how'd that turn out? If he wants to be on the team, he's there, and he's the captain...but if you looked strictly at his performance, he would not make the team.

Exarecr
20 Feb 09,, 17:41
Actually, my team has differences with all three of the teams picked by the networks :).

Coming off 108 and 92 point seasons, and just slightly under a point per game so far this season. Lecavalier isn't my favorite player, but deserves to be on this team.

I'm still not convinced in Sakic...we tried the old guard thing at Turin, how'd that turn out? If he wants to be on the team, he's there, and he's the captain...but if you looked strictly at his performance, he would not make the team.

Yikes,you guys are so fussy. I was close. I actually thought Sakic was still playing regular games. The western division and the condition of the teams are admittedly a little out of my purview as I used to be a Leaf fan. My son has me rootin for the flames now...or until the Leafs are contenders again in about 10 years. :))

JA Boomer
20 Feb 09,, 17:51
My son has me rootin for the flames now...or until the Leafs are contenders again in about 10 years. :))

GO FLAMES GO :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Nice OT victory last night...but Van is creeping up, only an 8 point cushion now.

Exarecr
20 Feb 09,, 17:58
GO FLAMES GO :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Nice OT victory last night...but Van is creeping up, only an 8 point cushion now.

I know. I think my son even knows their skate sizes.:)) We are both going to be in Ottawa March 4th to watch the Flames crush Ottawa.:))

Mobbme
21 Feb 09,, 11:53
I know. I think my son even knows their skate sizes.:)) We are both going to be in Ottawa March 4th to watch the Flames crush Ottawa.:))

:)) Anything bad about the Senators brings a smile to my face :))

Mobbme
21 Feb 09,, 11:57
If Sakic is in the NHL he will definately be on the olympic roster and Captain it.

Sometimes just playing alongside a guy like that brings out the best in the younger guys.

Team Russia has a few things to work out. Ovechkin and Malkin worked out their difference which is bad news for us, but theres still hope for their demise. I don't see the Russians winning gold or even having a real good chance at Gold without Federov. Federov wasn't on last olympic roster because of Pavel Bure (Bure and Federov had something going on between them over a girl - Anna Kournikova) but they still somehow managed to eliminate us. If Ovechkin/Semin persuade Federov to join, he'll most definately be Captain and then with his leadership, I see Russians in 2nd place ahead of Team Sweden.