Got a computer virus...any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a computer virus...any ideas?

So once again I've got some kind of virus or trojan or malware on my computer that managed to get past the umteen million layers of security.

I've cleared out most of the crap but one thing remains and nobody seems to know anything about it in Internetland.

Basically I keep getting a fatal error message pop-up saying my media system is corrupt and it redirects my browser to this website (I DON'T recommend clicking on this hyperlink) http://wincodecpro.com/ where 50 bucks will naturally solve my problem.

It also seems to have somehow screwed up my audio because I can't get any sound from any device.

Like I said, this wincodecpro seems to be a brand-new thing because it doesn't turn up in a Google search at all.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

I think I saw something similar last year on my client's machine. I managed to clean it but the web browser never worked the same. My recommendation on any virus is to save all your data and then format/reinstall. I know it could be a bit drastic, but it's the only way to be sure.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

i get that somethimes.
      i just reformat the drive, and reload windows. before that i go off line back up files.

some comp. have return to factory settings option, in help and support section, some don,t, than you'll need a windows disc.
      i noticed a while ago, that killing virus doesn,t always kill everything it messed up, so i reload, and comp runs faster after that.

you can also try rollback option in help and support section, but sometimes the virus disables that , and deletes all restore poins.
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Try this; it hasn't failed me yet and, better yet, it's FREE!
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Yeah I got a feeling that I'm screwed until I reinstall XP.

Usually I can handle problems like this because it's already happened to somebody else and I can simply Google it.

To get infected by something totally new is extremely frustrating.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Try this.

MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/redir...mbam-setup.exe

I've done a lot of malware cleanup, it's a PITA but I wouldn't do a reformat.
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

HijackThis is a really powerful tool to weed out any hidden services. The skill level is a bit high. You should be fine though if you have a fair idea of what legitimate things should be running on your system. :)

There is a free site that can help interpret the findings for you. I forget the name at the moment but I'll try and find out when i get home.

Edit: Looks like its owned by Trend Micro now and everything is free. Might want to give it a shot.
              "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

TH, if that malware tool I linked doesn't help(it should get it), you will want to D/L and run HijackThis and post a log to a malware forum.

This is a good source for tools:

http://www.pchell.com/support/spywaretools.shtml
                "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Th, Does this demon say AntiVirus 2009? with a very Microsoft-ish looking update screen...with said link. i got wacked with this last year and managed to save it. Let me know, cuz some need a different utility. No I did not re-format...

Could you put up a screen shot?
                  Last edited by texasjohn; 19 Feb 09,, 02:35.

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
                    Th, Does this demon say AntiVirus 2009? with a very Microsoft-ish looking update screen...with said link. i got wacked with this last year and managed to save it. Let me know, cuz some need a different utility. No I did not re-format...
                    No, but I did have a rogue anti-virus program that was causing ad pop-ups. It's gone now.

I've been running every spyware program in the book...SpyBot, CounterSpy, Ad-Aware (it's running right now) MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (going to run that one again as soon as Ad-Aware is done).

The feckin' beast has now taken over my video settings, replacing my wallpaper with a gigantic feckin' ad.

I'll keep y'all informed.

Comment

Post a Screen shot maybe?

Comment

If you're going to use any free AV, you should have AVG Anti-Virus.
                        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                          Try this; it hasn't failed me yet and, better yet, it's FREE!
                          I second that...

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                            No, but I did have a rogue anti-virus program that was causing ad pop-ups. It's gone now.

I've been running every spyware program in the book...SpyBot, CounterSpy, Ad-Aware (it's running right now) MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (going to run that one again as soon as Ad-Aware is done).

The feckin' beast has now taken over my video settings, replacing my wallpaper with a gigantic feckin' ad.

I'll keep y'all informed.
                            Ooooh...that's the same stuff my client had. I ended up formatting the drive after I got rid of the virus because the computer just didn't work correctly.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              Ooooh...that's the same stuff my client had. I ended up formatting the drive after I got rid of the virus because the computer just didn't work correctly.
                              yep, it screws up dlls, and windows files.
                              i always reload, it takes less time. and you get rid of all defects in one shot
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X