PDA

View Full Version : Which has been the best decade for music?

Spiritinthesky
16 Feb 09,, 21:24
50's / Elvis, Chuck Berry and Rock & Roll

60's / The Beatles and The British Invasion, Motown, Psychedelia and the beginnings of Heavy Metal

70's / Arena Rock, FM Radio, Punk, Drugs and Rock & Roll. And disco

80's / New Wave, House, Hair Metal and MTV

90's / Grunge, Alternative, RockCountryPop and Boy Groups

00's / Pop Idol, The X Factor, American Idol, everybody reforms and every possible Genre and subgenre imaginable

If you fancy having a vote go to
http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

Herodotus
16 Feb 09,, 21:48
1780s- Mozart, Haydn, a young Beethoven, etc. As for the list for modern day music I prefer 1980s music.

gabriel
16 Feb 09,, 22:00
The 60's

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3Kvu6Kgp88&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3Kvu6Kgp88&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stitch
16 Feb 09,, 22:14
I know I'm gonna get hammered for this, but I'm gonna say the '70's; my favorite group of all time had their heyday in the '70's (even though they formed in the late '60's). And, yes, I will even admit to liking disco; it reminds me of my formative years in he late '70's/early '80's having to do with members of the opposite sex.

Debbie
17 Feb 09,, 00:45
The 60's

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3Kvu6Kgp88&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3Kvu6Kgp88&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OMG - another Edith Piaf lover? Isn't she amazing?

Debbie
17 Feb 09,, 00:46
Gotta love the 60's and 70's music, it's the best. Along of course with every country song ever written.

gabriel
17 Feb 09,, 11:11

Yes she is.
Rien de semblable...

tankie
17 Feb 09,, 11:17
60,s When bands wrote and performed their own music .;)

Andrey Egorov
17 Feb 09,, 12:38
simple answer - it depends on taste of person :) for me it's 90's for scandinavian extreme metal

Southie
17 Feb 09,, 13:31
The 60's definitely...The Beatles!!! I also like the 90's music and todays music!

Albany Rifles
17 Feb 09,, 15:49
Southie, Cool Pic!

I'd say the 90s and the 00s.....for us lovers of bluegrass!

And the 1970s? You have to ask yourself did the good done by folks like Neil Young, Steely Dan, Marshall Tucker, the Outlaws, Jimmy Buffet, and ELP get outweighed by Terry Jacks and Seasons In The Sun, Paper LAce and The Night Chicago Died, Vicki LAwrence and The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia, Rick Dees and Disco Duck or anything done by the Bee Gees or KC and the Sunshine Band?

dave lukins
17 Feb 09,, 15:56

Fantastic...I have a double CD compilation. Great to play at a quiet moment.

Debbie
17 Feb 09,, 17:50
Fantastic...I have a double CD compilation. Great to play at a quiet moment.

You too Lukins are an Edith Piaf lover? Why you do have a redeeming quality after all:biggrin:

Debbie
17 Feb 09,, 17:53
Southie, Cool Pic!

I'd say the 90s and the 00s.....for us lovers of bluegrass!

And the 1970s? You have to ask yourself did the good done by folks like Neil Young, Steely Dan, Marshall Tucker, the Outlaws, Jimmy Buffet, and ELP get outweighed by Terry Jacks and Seasons In The Sun, Paper LAce and The Night Chicago Died, Vicki LAwrence and The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia, Rick Dees and Disco Duck or anything done by the Bee Gees or KC and the Sunshine Band?

What in the devil is wrong with the Bee Gees? Have to take the good with the bad you know, although I thought that Disco Duck was kind of cute. I liked disco........everyone thought I was a great dancer and copied MY moves.

dave lukins
17 Feb 09,, 18:35
You too Lukins are an Edith Piaf lover? Why you do have a redeeming quality after all:biggrin:

I'm sure you also meant to say "and with a avuncular nature":))

dave lukins
17 Feb 09,, 18:38
What in the devil is wrong with the Bee Gees?

I have visions of you in the front row screaming and wailing at the Bee Gee Sisters..It's not good, really not good:eek::))

Dreadnought
17 Feb 09,, 18:45
Imo, The Big Band era was quite impressive and had some really good music and talent. They kept a nation dancing into the wee hours while she was at war.

*Late 60's early 1970's with the British invasion among others comes to mind. All the new sounds created by the individuals not produced in any other way. True talent like those before but not those after.:)

Herodotus
18 Feb 09,, 01:26
Rick Dees and Disco Duck or anything done by the Bee Gees or KC and the Sunshine Band?

:)) Just for you A.R.:

97RjuC9YeXg

LetsTalk
18 Feb 09,, 03:02

Never heard of her before, great voice!

gabriel, thanks for introducing her to me. :)

Albany Rifles
18 Feb 09,, 05:36
:)) Just for you A.R.:

97RjuC9YeXg

You do know you are going to hell for that, right?

S2
19 Feb 09,, 11:44
Once upon a time they were actually cool.

A neat album cover- Odessa.

Cool songs-Words, Holiday, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart, I Started A Joke, To Love Somebody, I Gotta Get A Message To You.

I liked them.

Then I didn't.:mad:

50's Birth of the "cool" and R&B baby.

60's six "b"s- Bobbie dylan, Beatles, Byrds, Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield, Band. All you needed to know right there. Oh yeah, Airplane, Traffic, The Who, Rolling Stones, Cream, Hendrix, Animals, Kinks, Allman Bros., Dead, Santana, Quicksilver, Joni Mitchell...

Fcuk it. After that, it was just variations on a theme...:mad:

gabriel
19 Feb 09,, 15:03
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-wI6uAOHzvo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-wI6uAOHzvo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

alba
25 Feb 09,, 16:37
I love the 80's. The best decade ever.

snowhole
25 Feb 09,, 16:57
Between 1980 and 2000 IMO.

nebula82
25 Feb 09,, 17:08
For me it has to be the 1990s. It’s what I mostly listen to sometimes. You can’t beat 1990s rock and pop!!

Nebula82.

nebula82
25 Feb 09,, 17:27
I have visions of you in the front row screaming and wailing at the Bee Gee Sisters..It's not good, really not good:eek::))

If you ever hear the Cantonese version of the Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive, you'll piss your pants in laughter. It's the funnest thing I think I've ever heard :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Freeloader
25 Feb 09,, 18:06
Anything from the Beatles/Stones/Who of the early 60's until the demise of Guns N Roses.

Basically 60-94. Forced to narrow it to one decade - probably the 70's. While I hold the 80's in high regard, the 70's saw the following big name bands at their peak

Rolling Stones
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Cream
Rush
Pink Floyd
Queen

as well as the rise to the top of

AC/DC
Van Halen
Aerosmith
Bruce Springsteen

No other decade can match that. The 80's saw GNR, AC/DC with Brian Johnson (which was their better incarnation imo) Van Halen peak, Motley Crue, Dio, Iron Maiden and Metallica. Close, but not quite as good.

Kadoffel
28 Feb 09,, 17:51
Every time has it's good and it's bad music but my favorites are the 60's-70's.:cool:

PanSonic
28 Feb 09,, 18:56
70's & PROG ROCK...
50's, 60's & JAZZ

For me...the 80's I guess, Heavy Metal and Hip hop

RustyBattleship
28 Feb 09,, 22:10
Oh you young whipper snappers drive me up a wall. I like music where I can understand the words.

Examples: Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree with Anyone Else but Me.

Coming in on a Wing and a Prayer.

Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition.

Little Brown Jug, How I Love Thee (Glenn Miller's favorite)

Put Another Nickel in - In the Nickel-loadien.

Writing Love Letters in the Sand.

Mister Sandman, Send me a Dream.

I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts.

Witch Doctor ("Oooh Eee Oooh Ah Ah, Walla Walla Bing Bang")

Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better.

Do You Remember? ("Then Dearie, You are MUCH older than me").

tankie
28 Feb 09,, 22:31
If you ever hear the Cantonese version of the Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive, you'll piss your pants in laughter. It's the funnest thing I think I've ever heard :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

have u a link for it mate ;)

Ytlas
01 Mar 09,, 03:14
Oh you young whipper snappers drive me up a wall. I like music where I can understand the words.

Examples: Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree with Anyone Else but Me.

Coming in on a Wing and a Prayer.

Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition.

Little Brown Jug, How I Love Thee (Glenn Miller's favorite)

Put Another Nickel in - In the Nickel-loadien.

Writing Love Letters in the Sand.

Mister Sandman, Send me a Dream.

I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts.

Witch Doctor ("Oooh Eee Oooh Ah Ah, Walla Walla Bing Bang")

Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better.

Do You Remember? ("Then Dearie, You are MUCH older than me").

No Frankie Laine?
Phil Harris?
Dinah Shore?
Jo Stafford?
Patti Page?
Ames Brothers?

RustyBattleship
01 Mar 09,, 05:40
No Frankie Laine?
Phil Harris?
Dinah Shore?
Jo Stafford?
Patti Page?
Ames Brothers?

Those as well as:

The Ink Spots
Swing and Sway with Sammy Kaye
Benny Goodman
Kay Kaiser
Glenn Miller (Oh, I mentioned him already - didn't I?)
Minnie Pearl (Grand Ole' Opry)
Gene Autry (I'm Back in the Saddle Again)
Roy Rogers (Happy Trails to You)

PanSonic
01 Mar 09,, 18:31
And Post-punk

JamesCash
01 Mar 09,, 19:57
50's / Elvis, Chuck Berry and Rock & Roll

60's / The Beatles and The British Invasion, Motown, Psychedelia and the beginnings of Heavy Metal

70's / Arena Rock, FM Radio, Punk, Drugs and Rock & Roll. And disco

80's / New Wave, House, Hair Metal and MTV

90's / Grunge, Alternative, RockCountryPop and Boy Groups

00's / Pop Idol, The X Factor, American Idol, everybody reforms and every possible Genre and subgenre imaginable

If you fancy having a vote go to
http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

I think you are being a bit unfair to the 00's by listing Pop Idol etc. as you don't list all the crap that was made in the other decades. It's the good stuff that makes an impression. There are some real creatives artists right now, although they're rare.

nebula82
02 Mar 09,, 05:06
have u a link for it mate ;)

Unfortunately no (don't understand or speak Cantonese). I've heard it playing twice on the radio while in a cab. Last time around the driver was singing to it too :biggrin: