Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Data

For those of you interested in baseball data, here are some sites:

www.retrosheet.org - This site has play-by-play data as well as other data; this is the most comprehensive site in terms of data, but it doesn't have a user interface. You have to download the data and slice and dice it yourself. If anyone is interested in this data, I'm writing a script to unpack the play-by-play information from 1953-2008 into an Excel spreadsheet (warning, the file will probably be about 1GB and will require you to manually download and unzip over 100 folders and then transfer all the files from these folders into a single folder).

www.baseball1.com - This has the Lahman Database that includes individual and team data from 1871-2008 in .csv or .dba formats. You have to compute advanced statistics if you wish to look at those (e.g., OBP, SLG, etc.).

www.baseball-reference.com - This site has advanced statistics already computed for you, but you can't download data. They are working on a beta site that will have an even larger array of stats: http://sandbox.baseball-reference.com/.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

There is a large puddle of drool on the floor in front of my computer

Thanks Shek
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      There is a large puddle of drool on the floor in front of my computer

Thanks Shek
      Don't tell me...you're a statistician looking for a challenge?
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Just finished running the play-by-play script: 3.6 GB of data

If you're curious about what information is in the play-by-play files, the attachment has the data that's captured.
        Attached Files
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Thanks Shek, I've always used baseball-reference, but I'll check out the other sites too.

Comment

Here's another: http://www.hittrackeronline.com/

Comment

Here's the code to get all the play by play information from regular season baseball games from 1953-2008 (you'll have to do some manual downloading and unzipping, but once that's done, it's short and easy :) ).

1. Download Perl: http://www.perl.org/.
              2. Download all the event files from Retrosheet: http://www.retrosheet.org/game.htm.
              3. Extract all the downloaded zip files.
              4. Copy all the contents of the by year/league folders into a single folder.
              5. Place the attached ".txt" file into the same folder and rename the file with a ".pl" extension. Make sure that you have the BEVENT executable in the same folder: http://www.retrosheet.org/tools.htm. Click on the file and watch play by play files from 1953-2008 appear in the same folder as ".csv" files . The total download is right at 3.5 GB.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                Don't tell me...you're a statistician looking for a challenge?

Mrs AR would laugh long and loud at you...I never took a stats course in my life...for which she, with her MS in Nursing degree, always said my MA in history was not a real degree.

Its just that baseball is such a numbers driven sport
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  Mrs AR would laugh long and loud at you...I never took a stats course in my life...for which she, with her MS in Nursing degree, always said my MA in history was not a real degree.

Its just that baseball is such a numbers driven sport
                  It is, sir. It is.

There's probably a stat kept for players hitting at visitors park, at night, against left hand pitching, with 2 strikes and 1 ball, man in scoring position, with wind blowing in from the right field, and a home crowd of less than 12,000.

"Yes, Johnny Rico hit .255 under such a condition."

"Pull a 2-for-1 switch. Let's play the numbers here. Bob Smith hit .256..."

"But Rico is .780 against this particular lefty on the mound!"

"Aha, all the hits came at home."
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

It is, sir. It is.

There's probably a stat kept for players hitting at visitors park, at night, against left hand pitching, with 2 strikes and 1 ball, man in scoring position, with wind blowing in from the right field, and a home crowd of less than 12,000.

Wind blowing in from right field is the only piece of data that Retrosheet doesn't have. However, with some high speed spidering skills (I don't have any), you could pick that data up easily and mash it with the rest.

Comment

It is, sir. It is.

Ever see the Tom Selleck movie Mister Baseball? They have a scene in it just like that.

And about 10 years ago someome at MIT did her doctoral thesis on the drop off in home runs at Fenway Park after the Red Sox put in roof seats with a wind break behind them!
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Hall of Fame sports broadcaster Harry Kalas, 73, was found unconscious in the broadcast booth at Washington DC’s Nationals Park and rushed to the hospital according to media reports.

Philadelphia Phillies President David Montgomery is quoted as speculating “it’s serious.”

Update: Sadly, Philadelphia broadcasting legend Harry Kalas is dead at 73 according to AP.

The man went out doing his thing from the booth. God Bless Harry were sure going to miss ya!:(
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Died in the saddle.

I was listening to the Nationals game broadcast yesterday and couldn't figured out why the game was delayed.

It was so they could regroup for the broadcast.

At least he got to see the Phillies win the Series again before he went.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

ManRam (AR's nickname for Ramirez) Ties Mickey Mantle

This belongs in this thread:

MILWAUKEE(AP) Manny Ramirez called it just another home run. Dodgers manager Joe Torre acknowledged the feat was special while noting in the same breath the suspicion that will hang over the enigmatic slugger's final numbers.

Ramirez tied Mickey Mantle on the career home run chart early, and Matt Kemp hit a 10th-inning grand slam and made a fantastic catch for the final out to lead the Los Angeles Dodgers over the struggling Milwaukee Brewers 12-8 on Friday night.

''It feels good, but it's just like another home run,'' said Ramirez, who was distracted watching film of at-bats against the Phillies and swinging his arms gently through an imaginary strike zone. ''It makes me proud, but like I said it's just another home run that I hit. I didn't even know I tied him.''

Ramirez's 536th homer pulled him even with Mantle for 15th place, and the Dodgers rallied against Trevor Hoffman in the ninth. Casey Blake drove in Ramirez with a triple in the 10th, and Kemp's slam broke it open moments later.

''Manny's a special talent, he's a special player, so was Mickey, obviously,'' Torre said. ''I know there's going to be some questions for the rest of his career. I'm not sure you can question how many he hits, it's how far they go. I think that's really what affects it more than anything else.''

Andre Ethier , James Loney and Russell Martin also homered for the Dodgers (55-31), who will enter the All-Star break with the best record in the majors.

Ramirez continued his torrid pace since returning from a 50-game drug suspension, hitting a two-run shot in the sixth. With two on in the 10th, Kemp made a running, over-the-shoulder grab of Jason Kendall 's drive to deep center with his back to home plate, similar to Willie Mays ' famous catch in the 1954 World Series.

''I was messing around with it in batting practice today,'' said Kemp, who ran up the wall for show after the catch. ''I guess I thought I'd use it in the game.''

Torre joked it was more like Wesley Snipes' character in Major League: ''He comes in and says, 'Willie Mays Hayes.'''

Brewers manager Ken Macha said it was a fitting end.

''To rub a little salt in our wounds the guy makes an over-the-shoulder catch to end it,'' Brewers manager Ken Macha said. ''It's a little disappointing to lose two days in a row having a one-run lead late.''

This loss was especially painful for the Brewers because Hoffman blew a save opportunity for the second time this year and Carlos Villanueva (2-6) gave up six runs in the 10th for his second loss in as many days.

The five Dodgers homers marked their biggest power surge since hitting seven against the San Diego Padres nearly three years ago, but small ball paid off first.

''You better win if you do that,'' Torre said. ''That's not normally what our signature is, but we certainly put them to good use tonight.''

Ramirez walked with one out in the 10th and Blake, who had been 0 for 4, hammered a pitch off the wall in right-center field that allowed Ramirez to easily score.

Juan Pierre intentionally walked and Martin hit an infield single that scored Blake. Orlando Hudson walked to load the bases and Kemp's homer landed in the second deck in left field, sending fans streaming to the exits.

Ramon Troncoso (3-0) struck out Ryan Braun with the winning run at second to end the ninth and Jonathan Broxton gave up two runs in the bottom of the 10th in his second straight shaky appearance after allowing three in Sunday's 13-inning win against the Padres.

Rookie Mat Gamel and J.J. Hardy homered for the Brewers, who have lost seven of nine and fell three games behind first-place St. Louis in the NL Central to match their largest deficit since May 7.

Gamel's homer in the eighth put Milwaukee up 6-5, but Hoffman gave it back after converting 19 of his first 20 save chances.

Martin singled to start the ninth, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Hudson, reached third on Kemp's bunt single and scored when Mark Loretta singled up the middle to tie it at 6.

''Against teams like that, it's important to close the door,'' Hoffman said. ''I was just trying to be aggressive. It comes with the territory.''

Notes: Ramirez is 7 of 22 with three homers, nine RBIs and seven runs scored in seven games since returning to the lineup. ... Brewers RHP Dave Bush (triceps) allowed four hits and an unearned run in 4 2-3 innings at Class-A Wisconsin in his first rehab start. He could return to the rotation as soon as July 20. ... Brewers RF Corey Hart (foot) missed his third straight game.
                            Wow, no one's really going crazy. But to tie Mickey Mantle, the legend, just wow.

Deserves to be posted in this thread.

Congrats ManRam, Mickey Mantle was the great, hopefully we will look at you as one of the greats too.

Comment

Working...
                            X