• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Loose' women launch pink panty protest

'Loose' women launch pink panty protest

Indians target hard-line Hindu group that claims females should stay home

updated 8:28 a.m. PT, Thurs., Feb. 12, 2009

MUMBAI, India - Thousands of Indians, many fuming over a recent assault on women in a pub, are vowing to fill bars on Valentine's Day and send cartons of pink panties to a radical Hindu group that has branded outgoing females immoral.

A "consortium of pub-going, loose and forward women," founded by four Indian women on social networking Web site Facebook has, in a matter of days, attracted more than 25,000 members with over 2,000 posts about the self-appointed moral police.

The women said their mission was to go bar-hopping on February 14 and send hundreds of pink knickers to Sri Ram Sena, the militant Hindu group that has said pubs are for men, and that women should stay at home and cook for their husbands.

The same Hindu group was blamed for attacking women in a bar in the southern city of Mangalore in January, an incident that sparked a national debate about women's freedoms in India.

Collection centers have sprung up in several cities, with volunteers calling for bright pink old-fashioned knickers as gifts to the Sri Ram Sena as a mark of defiance.

"Girl power! Go girls, go. Show Ram Sena... who's the boss," reads one post on Facebook from Larkins Dsouza.

'Hooligans'
    There is a separate campaign to "Walk to the nearest pub and buy a drink (and) raise a toast," that has found supporters from Toronto to Bangkok to Sydney, with even teetotalers saying they will get a drink on Saturday to show solidarity.

"Though I don't promote smoking or drinking for both sexes, we definitely don't need hooligans telling us what to do and what not. Best of luck!," reads one post from Iftehar Ahsan.

There are more heated discussion threads as well that range from the limits of independence to religion and politics, reflecting the struggle facing a country that has long battled to balance its deep-rooted traditions with rapid modernization.

Growing numbers of young and independent urban women have become an easy target for religious fundamentalists and aging politicians trying to force traditional mores on an increasingly liberal, Western outlook.

Not to be outdone, the Sri Ram Sena, which has cautioned shops and pubs in southern Karnataka state against marking Valentine's Day, has promised to gift pink saris to women and marry off canoodling couples to make them "respectable."
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29160586?GT1=43001
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Yes, my eyes are not tricking me this time. The word is indeed "panty"
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Whats with all the Who Ha, didn't Indian write the Kama Sutra. Damn religious nuts.

Comment

And then people ask why im not religious...
        The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Keeping Indian women home, that'll be a dham shame; they're beautiful.

They should keep these nutjobs home instead.

Comment

from wat I know there are more men in that campaign then women!

anyway, it is not as exciting as one would imagine reading this article. it was pretty bland. and also I would say a useless campaign since it got those 'moral' guys more media space and achieved nothing for these 'bold' campaigners.
            Last edited by johnee; 13 Feb 09,, 05:11.

Comment

I say more power to them. I'm sick and tired of religiostic nutjobs dragging my country back into the dark ages.
              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

If i send my undies with my socks, i am sure i can kill a whole bunch of them.

Would be arrested for biological terrorism though.

Nice Idea form the ladies, way to go.

Comment

Aren't there other ways to prove that they have become modern....????

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
                    If i send my undies with my socks, i am sure i can kill a whole bunch of them.

Would be arrested for biological terrorism though.

Nice Idea form the ladies, way to go.
                    I think you are mistaken, those ladies are not sending the one that they use , they buy a brand new one and send it, and anyway, there seem to be more men in it then women.

but I would say there are more civilised ways to protest than to do this.:(

Comment

Originally posted by johnee View Post
                      I think you are mistaken, those ladies are not sending the one that they use , they buy a brand new one and send it, and anyway, there seem to be more men in it then women.

Compared to what those pathetic subhuman swine in the Sree Ram Sena did i think their response was very civilised.
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                        Compared to what those pathetic subhuman swine in the Sree Ram Sena did i think their response was very civilised.
                        lets not get emotional, wat happened in mangalore was not nice, but lets not exaggarate it. also, media and ppl like you have made a villian/hero out of that sena, which is not right. since, it is obvious that they thrive on attention. remember, raj thackray? he too did similar things on a different pretext. the best way is for law to take its own course and ppl to desist from making these guys bigger than they actually are.

btw, wat did this 'panty protest' achieve? as far as I see, R-sena got more attention, now it can play a bigger political role. men/women who were protesting have brought down themselves to the same level of R-sena fools without achieving much in return. infact, the attention got by sena is envied by other organisations like shiv sena, bajrang dal, etc. so now they will compete with R-sena to get the public/media attention.

Comment

Now if we can just get these "loose" women to model them for us. Oh dont forget the heels too. Good for the ladies:))
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by johnee View Post

What is uncivilised about panties? Or sending them to the Ramsena people? less money they have to spend on buying some for their women.
                            Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                            Now if we can just get these "loose" women to model them for us. Oh dont forget the heels too. Good for the ladies:))
                            Yeah!!!

Drinks for the loose pub going ladies ladies will be on the house then. :))

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                              Whats with all the Who Ha, didn't Indian write the Kama Sutra. Damn religious nuts.
                              All those years of Islamic and then Victorian rule has instilled said rules onto the masses, methinks. Well, in terms of "cultural taboo's" like sex etc..

Comment

Working...
                              X