Anti-Islam film's maker blasts UK over ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Islam film's maker blasts UK over ban

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Controversial Dutch filmmaker Geert Wilders condemned as "crazy and cowardly" Britain's refusal to let him enter the country Thursday.

Geert Wilders shows his passport and boarding pass at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport before leaving for London.

Wilders, a Dutch lawmaker who produced a much-criticized film about Islam last year, flew to London for a screening of the movie despite being told a day earlier he would not be admitted.

"I still believed and hoped that they would change their tune," he told CNN by telephone, saying he was speaking from a detention room at London's Heathrow Airport.

He said he was met by customs officers as soon as he left the plane.

"They took me to a detention center," Wilders said, and there he was interviewed "for 45 seconds" before they took his passport and left. Watch Wilders condemn British government »

He called it a "very sad day" for "freedom of speech in the European Union."

Wilders had been invited to screen his film, "Fitna," at the House of Lords on Thursday evening. The 15-minute film features disturbing images of terrorist acts superimposed over verses from Islam's holy book, the Quran, to paint Islam as a threat to Western society.

The British ambassador to the Netherlands told him Wednesday that he would be refused entry into Britain because the beliefs expressed in the film would threaten public security. Do you agree with the UK's decision to bar Wilders? Have your say

Britain's Home Office said barring Wilders is allowed under European Union law, which permits states to refuse entry on the grounds of public policy, public security or public health.

"The government opposes extremism in all its forms," said a Home Office spokesman, who would not be identified, in line with policy. "It will stop those who want to spread extremism, hatred and violent messages in our communities from coming to our country."

Wilders is a member of the Dutch parliament for the right-wing Party for Freedom. He released "Fitna" online in March 2008 to immediate controversy.

The 15-minute film features disturbing images of terrorist acts superimposed over verses from Islam's holy book, the Quran, to paint Islam as a threat to Western society.

Caroline Cox, a member of Britain's House of Lords who is not affiliated with a political party, invited Wilders to screen his film at a private session in parliament. She told CNN that she wanted lawmakers to see the film to provoke discussion.

"We're showing it on the basis of freedom of speech," said Cox, who has been a free speech advocate throughout her career. "It's a serious showing, with serious concerns and serious consideration."

Cox said she disagreed with the government's decision to bar Wilders, who was also scheduled to discuss the film.

"I think it's appalling," she told CNN. "(For) the British government to prevent a European parliamentarian coming to speak to parliamentarians over here is very disturbing. I think it will be ready by many people as a sign of appeasement to threat and intimidation."

After its release, the movie drew complaints from the European Union and the Organization of the Islamic Conference, as well as concern from the United States, which warned it could spark riots.

Dutch authorities filed charges against Wilders last month, accusing him of inciting racial hatred in speeches and in the film.

"Fitna" opens with a controversial caricature of the Prophet Mohammed wearing a turban shaped like a bomb, followed by translated portions of the Quran. The passages are interspersed with graphic images of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against the United States, juxtaposed with audio from 911 calls made by the victims trapped inside the World Trade Center in New York.

The video includes images of other terror attacks; bloodied victims; beheadings of hostages; executions of women in hijab, the traditional full-body covering; and footage, with subtitles, of Islamic leaders preaching inflammatory sermons against Jews and Christians.

In his interview with the BBC, Wilders said he does not hate Muslims but opposes the "Islamization" of the European continent.

The title "Fitna," is Arabic for "strife" or "conflict" of the type that occurs within families or any other homogenous group.

Five years ago, Dutch director Theo van Gogh was stabbed to death by a member of a radical Islamic group after his short film "Submission" used verses from the Quran written on women's bodies to criticize the treatment of women in Islamic cultures.

His co-producer on the project, Somali-born former Dutch lawmaker Ayaan Hirsi Ali, lived under government protection for several years after van Gogh's killing. She now lives in the United States.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ker/index.html

I would like to hear opinions from British nationals in this forum , if they agree with their governement action on this incident.

Comment

I wonder if they let in others who preach religious hatred. If not it seems like an even handed policy the man is under indictment isnt he?
      Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
      ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
        I wonder if they let in others who preach religious hatred. If not it seems like an even handed policy the man is under indictment isnt he?
        That's odd. UK lets plenty of Jew-hating imams enter the country.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by IND76 View Post
          I would like to hear opinions from British nationals in this forum , if they agree with their governement action on this incident.
          Citing Racial hatred and free speech are two different matters. The Film was shown in the House of Parliament today to about 30 MP's. Most people don't know this guy and probably didn't give a hoot UNTIL he got all this media attention, now everyone wants to know what all this fuss is about. I hear he is not against Muslims per se but the Islamization of Europe. Was the Government right is banning him?..They obviously know a lot more about him than 'Joe Average' and there is no smoke without fire so to that end, Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            They are usually already here. Or have grown up and lived here for many years. One or two have felt the wrath of the Law. On occasion some have slipped in in another guise, then there is a lengthy process of getting them into custody. :(

Comment

No we don't, there's been plenty of those crazy fools getting banned and jailed and.....shot at too, not to mention bombed. Nice try on trying to make us look like we're a bunch of appeasers because of this one ****ing move though, I always find it funny when people do that, especially UK nationals too, they really don't have a clue about their own country. Whilst I admit, perhaps there are times when it seems that the UK is doing more than it should to calm the Muslim community, it far outweighs what it is doing to combat the Muslim extremists and frankly people take granted for what we do on that front.

Why don't you stick to watching your southern border instead of telling us we're being taken over by Muslims and we're appeasing them and all the other fearmongering bullshit you type of people sprout. No offence.

As for this guy and his film, he probably does make some good points. Too bad general Muslim reaction is to ...not address the manner in a civilised way. I'd like to see the Muslim counter argument to the points he has raised, cos he's still raised valid points, in my opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by Steezy View Post
                No we don't, there's been plenty of those crazy fools getting banned and jailed and.....shot at too, not to mention bombed. Nice try on trying to make us look like we're a bunch of appeasers because of this one ****ing move though, I always find it funny when people do that, especially UK nationals too, they really don't have a clue about their own country. Whilst I admit, perhaps there are times when it seems that the UK is doing more than it should to calm the Muslim community, it far outweighs what it is doing to combat the Muslim extremists and frankly people take granted for what we do on that front.
                Good to know you are not a bunch of appeasers.

Why don't you stick to watching your southern border instead of telling us we're being taken over by Muslims and we're appeasing them and all the other fearmongering bullshit you type of people sprout. No offence.
                I keep having trouble with this. Is it a strawman or a red herring?

As for this guy and his film, he probably does make some good points. Too bad general Muslim reaction is to ...not address the manner in a civilised way. I'd like to see the Muslim counter argument to the points he has raised, cos he's still raised valid points, in my opinion...
                If the general muslim reaction is not civilized, what does that say?

Comment

I think he should be banned on the grounds of being an appalling film maker with the technical skills of my new puppy walking randomly over a keyboard and all the subtlety of a whoop of drunken baboons.
                  Talk about time I'll never get back
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                    I think he should be banned on the grounds of being an appalling film maker with the technical skills of my new puppy walking randomly over a keyboard and all the subtlety of a whoop of drunken baboons.
                    Talk about time I'll never get back
                    best post this month. If I had been drinking milk it would of sprayed out my nose I guffawed so hard
                    Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
                    ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                      Citing Racial hatred and free speech are two different matters. The Film was shown in the House of Parliament today to about 30 MP's. Most people don't know this guy and probably didn't give a hoot UNTIL he got all this media attention, now everyone wants to know what all this fuss is about. I hear he is not against Muslims per se but the Islamization of Europe. Was the Government right is banning him?..They obviously know a lot more about him than 'Joe Average' and there is no smoke without fire so to that end, Yes!
                      Your Government,is as guilty as every other Western Country on the planet, of allowing Muslims to get away with so much social misbehaviour that it has empowered this ethnic group to stand with contempt on the shirttails of religious protection, while preaching utterly unacceptable vile concepts of their right to exterminate Jews and other non-believers. Currently, the fear of most Westerners is that immigration has changed to one of urban colonization,and that there is now no border between the old country and the new. In other words,the "urban immigrant", demands the host accommodate and become the old country, with all the same rights and beliefs. To dare to debate this ridiculous assumption is to be declared racist and an enemy of Islam. According to their sensibilities, I, daring to argue this makes me an enemy of the state of Islam I suppose. :)):)):)):)) Well, you have the right to come visit me , but I gotta tell ya. As soon as your baby toe hits my property a different cultural event will most definitely appear......it,s called a toe tag. Welcome to Democracy.:)) Thiis ought to get every one yapping............

Comment

As a filmmaker, he should appreciate having to suffer for his art. Gives him more "street cred" at Sundance.

Comment

The government opposes extremism in all forms, it has also tightened up rules on excluding those engaging in "unacceptable behaviour" in October.

The home secretary has the power to stop people entering the UK if she believes there is a threat to National Security, Public Rrder or the Safety of UK citizens, but she cannot exclude people simply because of their views.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                            The home secretary has the power to stop people entering the UK if she believes there is a threat to National Security, Public Rrder or the Safety of UK citizens, but she cannot exclude people simply because of their views.
                            I guess Wilders is a threat to national security, public order, or safety of UK citizens, because he's definitely not refused entrance based on his views.

Comment

I guess Wilders is a threat to national security, public order, or safety of UK citizens, because he's definitely not refused entrance based on his views.
                              Agreed.

So far, UK is still a free country ;) so it has to be more than that.

I say he's lucky, I heard the nutjobs in that country are insane, they'd probably kill this guy regardless of the consequences.

Comment

Working...
                              X