PDA

View Full Version : Cricket

Pages : [1] 2

Knaur Amarsh
10 Feb 09,, 14:54
Hey since we'v got this new Sports forum and all, thought I'd start a thread for cricket discussion.

Am watching the India - Sri Lanka T20 match right now, anyone else tuned in to it?

Gokul
10 Feb 09,, 17:12
I'm watching it right now... hehehehe......

Knaur Amarsh
10 Feb 09,, 17:17
I'm watching it right now... hehehehe......

Well wochya doing, watch better, Dhoni just got out .... sure you didn't move around or something? :mad:

Edit : And there goes wicket 6

Knaur Amarsh
10 Feb 09,, 17:44
Heh :)) Won it

Gokul
11 Feb 09,, 06:38
Boss... never doubt the skills of our cricketers !!!

We walloped the Lankans from that little island, the same way that we wallop the Aussies every time...

And, the Kiwis are next !!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Knaur Amarsh
11 Feb 09,, 11:08
Boss... never doubt the skills of our cricketers !!!

We walloped the Lankans from that little island, the same way that we wallop the Aussies every time...

And, the Kiwis are next !!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah well no thanks to you though, now am not overtly superstitious or anything , BUT, match was going all fine , 5 wickets down, 6 rpo req., when suddenly you state you're watching it too and its 7 down 12 req. rpo :P Took all of my telekinesis skills to gently guide the Pathan bros to a win

About the Aussies though, they'v won their 4th ODI against NZ, 2 all the score is now, next match at Brisbane is going to be an exciting one to watch :cool:

Gokul
18 Feb 09,, 18:17
Boss... team leaving for NZ tonight... Am sure they'll fry the Kiwis !!!

Anybody has the itenary for the tour ???

Knaur Amarsh
18 Feb 09,, 18:36
Wed 25 Feb - 1st Twenty20 International (D/N) Christchurch 11:30 IST - AMI Stadium

Fri 27 Feb - 2nd Twenty20 International (D/N) Wellington 11:30 IST - Westpac Stadium

Tue 3 March - First ODI (D/N) Napier 06:30 IST - McLean Park

Fri 6 March - Second ODI (D/N) Wellington 06:30 IST - Westpac Stadium

Sun 8 March - Third ODI (D/N) Christchurch 06:30 IST - AMI Stadium

Wed 11 March - Fourth ODI (D/N) Hamilton 06:30 IST - Seddon Park

Sat 14 March - Fifth ODI (D/N) Auckland 06:30 IST - Eden Park

Wed 18 – Sun 22 March - First Test Hamilton 03:30 IST - Seddon Park

Thu 26 – Mon 30 March - Second Test Napier 03:30 IST - McLean Park

Fri 3 – Tue 7 Apr Test - Wellington 03:30 IST - Basin Reserve

Gokul
18 Feb 09,, 18:40
Thanks dude...

Knaur Amarsh
18 Feb 09,, 19:00
Thanks dude...

Give or take an hour on the times or a day here and there on the test dates, but thats about it.

We are 5 points behind leaders SA and NZ is 5 points behind us in ODI ratings btw, its a good opportunity for both teams to jump up in rankings. In Tests too we can move to second, being 3 or so points behind SA and NZ would be probably desperate to do well in Tests, considering they are pretty much at the bottom of rankings just above B-desh.

Never mind the rankings anyway, IIRC the Champions Trophy is also this year, innit? Lets see how that one goes.

Blackleaf
18 Feb 09,, 19:10
England are doing well on the Fourth Day of the Third Test against the West Indies.

1st Innings
England: 566-9 declared
West Indies: 285

2nd Innings
England: 221-8 declared
West Indies: 12-0

West Indies require another 491 runs to win.

The West Indies lead the Series 1-0. The Second Test was abandoned after the terrible state of the pitch at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua, so the Series has been extended to 5 matches.

In the First Test, England were all out for a pitiful 51 in the Second Innings and lost by an innings and 23 runs. So they have redeemed themselves.

Gokul
24 Feb 09,, 11:59
Boss... Games start tomorrow... Keeping fingers crossed !!!

Gokul
27 Feb 09,, 18:24
Saala Dono Match Haara !!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(:(

Knaur Amarsh
27 Feb 09,, 19:23
Saala Dono Match Haara !!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(:(

Fingers crossed, wait for the ODI's.

Parihaka
28 Feb 09,, 00:10
Fingers crossed, wait for the ODI's.

2nillllllll, 2nil 2nil 2nillll, 2nillllll, 2nillll....

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/2/27/1235731317514/mccullum-001.jpg

Knaur Amarsh
28 Feb 09,, 00:37

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2009/2/27/1235731317514/mccullum-001.jpg

We were just lulling you into a false sense of security for the "real" matches ya know :P

Tom Guntrip
28 Feb 09,, 22:22
England vs the Windies. Come on England :)

bolo121
01 Mar 09,, 05:06

Well it looks like Dhoni and his lads finally succumbed to senshoubyou. It was inevitable after such a string of victories after all.

I hope that he takes a good long look at himself and the team and gets his act together before the ODIs

Gokul
01 Mar 09,, 10:51
Yep, losing will actually do the team some good... If they keep winning, they get very overconfident and cocksure... this'll keep their feet firmly on the ground...

Knaur Amarsh
01 Mar 09,, 12:10
Well it looks like Dhoni and his lads finally succumbed to senshoubyou. It was inevitable after such a string of victories after all.

I hope that he takes a good long look at himself and the team and gets his act together before the ODIs

Yup, lets not be hypocritical about this, give the Kiwis their due, the luckier team won :biggrin:

Parihaka
01 Mar 09,, 23:30
the luckier team won :biggrin:

:))

Kernow
02 Mar 09,, 23:50
Joy of Joys England never invented Cricket after all, an embarresment for a Country finally lifted.

Cricket 'was invented in Belgium'
By Chris Mason
BBC News, Brussels

New academic research claims cricket is not English, but was imported by immigrants from northern Belgium.

A poem thought to have been written in 1533 has been uncovered, which suggests the game originates from Flanders.

In the work attributed to John Skelton, Flemish weavers are labelled "kings of crekettes", according to Paul Campbell of the Australian National University.

The discovery challenges the long established theory that the sport evolved from English children's games.

The first definitive references to the game appeared in England in the 1600s, when fines were handed out for those missing church to play.

A game played by the masses in the country was taken into public schools and the universities of Oxford and Cambridge in the century that followed.

The first cricket club was formed in Hambledon in the 1760s and the world-famous Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) was founded in 1787.

'Flemish phrase'

But German academic Heiner Gillmeister and his Australian colleague, Mr Campbell, say the discovery proves the quintessential English pastime is anything but English.

THE IMAGE OF IPOCRISIE
O lodre of Ipocrites,
Nowe shut vpp your wickettes,
And clappe to your clickettes!
A! Farewell, kings of crekettes!

Poem attributed to John Skelton
Mr Campbell has uncovered an apparent reference to cricket in the 16th Century work, The Image of Ipocrisie, attributed to the English poet John Skelton, which refers to Flemish weavers who settled in southern and eastern England.

They are described as "kings of crekettes"; "wickettes" are mentioned too.

It is thought the weavers brought the game to England and played it close to where they looked after their sheep, using shepherd's crooks as bats.

Mr Campbell's research was based on earlier investigations by Mr Gillmeister, a linguist from the University of Bonn.

He is certain cricket cannot have started in England.

"There is no way to relate the term to any existing English word," he told the BBC.

"I was brought up with Flemish children and I know the language well. I immediately thought of the Flemish phrase 'met de krik ketsen' which means to 'chase a ball with a curved stick'."

In response, cricket historian David Frith said: "It is hard to deny that this is a breakthrough. This discovery points to an addition to the great history of cricket. It's exciting we haven't yet written the final word on it."

He added: "It does make you wonder why Belgium isn't playing test cricket though, doesn't it?"

But Mr Gillmeister's research does not end with cricket.

Earlier studies of his suggest that whilst the spiritual home of golf might be Scotland - records indicate the Belgians were also playing a recognisable form of that sport before people in Britain.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/europe/7919429.stm

bolo121
03 Mar 09,, 06:43
Yup, lets not be hypocritical about this, give the Kiwis their due, the luckier team won :biggrin:

Well looks like they are having a fair bash at it, raina of all people hitting sixes left and right.

Knaur Amarsh
03 Mar 09,, 06:55
Well looks like they are having a fair bash at it, raina of all people hitting sixes left and right.

2 overs left for our innings to end, looking fairly good till now, hope we win this one :)

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 06:58
I think we'll easily reach 270.... That ought to be a tough ask in 38 overs !!!

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 06:59
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=50019

I just wanted cricket fans' views on this Pak incident... I hope posting this link here is allowed...

Knaur Amarsh
03 Mar 09,, 07:04
273/4 in the 38 :)) Not bad, not bad at all.

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 07:11
273/4 in the 38 :)) Not bad, not bad at all.

That's a pretty hefty score I'd say... we'd have to bowl pretty badly from here on to lose this one...

Knaur Amarsh
03 Mar 09,, 07:21
That's a pretty hefty score I'd say... we'd have to bowl pretty badly from here on to lose this one...

We'd already batted for 5 overs in the beginning when the match was changed to a 38 overs each, so acc to our scoring rate, target for NZ will be 278.

Knaur Amarsh
03 Mar 09,, 07:30
Heh, McCulum's out, he was doing good lately :))

Kommunist
03 Mar 09,, 07:34
6 Sri Lankan players were injured when unidentified gun-men (terrorists) opened fire on their convoy just before they were reaching Lahore-Gaddafi stadium for the 2nd Test VS Pakistan !!!:eek:
As per reports, Samaraweera has ben shot in the chest!!:eek::mad:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/6-Lanka-cricketers-wounded-in-Lahore-attack/articleshow/4215872.cms

Match Status: Match abandoned due to terror attacks.
Never heard of this before!

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 07:40
8 / 1 from four overs.... the players are wearing black armbands now...

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 07:49

:)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):))

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 07:58
Second wicket down... Ryder sent for a ride on his bike.... hehehehe....

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 08:29
Third wicket down.... Taylor on his way back...

Knaur Amarsh
03 Mar 09,, 08:52
Covers have been brought on, we'll probably get this match but shame about the weather really.

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 08:52
Chowtha wicket down... Elliot gela !!!

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 08:53
Covers have been brought on, we'll probably get this match but shame about the weather really.

One can't do too much about the weather... its just a sporting hazard...

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 08:57
It's pouring in Napier, not a welcome sight. The spectators are getting their jackets on and have their umbrellas out

That quote's from the live scorecard in Cricinfo... anyways, if the match is called off in the current situation, what does Duckworth-Lewis say ??? I suspect India might have the upper hand given that NZ have lost 4 wickets...

Knaur Amarsh
03 Mar 09,, 08:59
One can't do too much about the weather... its just a sporting hazard...

True my friend, but watching a D/L riddled match on a just isn't the same as watching a match on a fine, sunny, cricketing day :)

nebula82
03 Mar 09,, 09:19
6 Sri Lankan players were injured when unidentified gun-men (terrorists) opened fire on their convoy just before they were reaching Lahore-Gaddafi stadium for the 2nd Test VS Pakistan !!!:eek:
As per reports, Samaraweera has ben shot in the chest!!:eek::mad:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/6-Lanka-cricketers-wounded-in-Lahore-attack/articleshow/4215872.cms

Say goodbye to international cricket in Pakistan!! At least for the forseeable future. Very unfortunate!

The security situation in Pakistan is just getting worse by the day...

Nebula82.

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 09:22
Say goodbye to international cricket in Pakistan!! At least for the forseeable future. Very unfortunate!

The security situation in Pakistan is just getting worse by the day...

Nebula82.

I'm sure the Arabs would help out the Pakistanis by offering them neutral venues like Dubai etc. I hope India opposes this and makes sure Pakistan doesn't play any cricket....

Knaur Amarsh
03 Mar 09,, 09:24
That quote's from the live scorecard in Cricinfo... anyways, if the match is called off in the current situation, what does Duckworth-Lewis say ??? I suspect India might have the upper hand given that NZ have lost 4 wickets...

If its called off, we win.

But the covers are coming off, NZ need 105 from the remaining 7 or so overs, roughly 15 rpo.

I hope NZ gives it a shot with some aggressive batting, they have nothing to lose now, Oram and company should show us some entertaining cricket ;)

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 09:26
15 an over ??? next to impossible since they need a high sustained scoring rate... but its not over till the fat lady sings.... we have been known to grab defeat from the jaws of victory.... hahahahaha.... :)):)):)):))

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 09:30
Just a 2 over batting powerplay left... hahahahaha... this isnt looking good for NZ.... :)):)):)):))

Gokul
03 Mar 09,, 09:32
Oram aala... ani gela.... lol.... 5 down....

Knaur Amarsh
03 Mar 09,, 10:07
Finally, a win :)

India won by 53 runs and leads the series 1-0.

bolo121
03 Mar 09,, 10:29
Yay! good to see a win on the board..:))
Hope Ishant can recover in time for the test matches.

Yusuf
03 Mar 09,, 10:52
sittin in office tried to hunt for sites where i could stream live. none of the sites worked. anyone with 100% source to view online?

Knaur Amarsh
03 Mar 09,, 11:09
sittin in office tried to hunt for sites where i could stream live. none of the sites worked. anyone with 100% source to view online?

Man, just keep a small TV in the office ? :confused:

Yusuf
03 Mar 09,, 11:50
Man, just keep a small TV in the office ? :confused:

Mate dont you think i would have thought about that? Unfortunately no cable guy is willing to give a connection out here. My office is located in an industrial suburb. Installing DTH is the option that im exploring. But wonder if paying 350 a month to watch seasonal matches would be worth it.

I saw the whole aussie series online. But all those sites were down.

Knaur Amarsh
03 Mar 09,, 11:58
Mate dont you think i would have thought about that?

Heh :biggrin:

Unfortunately no cable guy is willing to give a connection out here. My office is located in an industrial suburb. Installing DTH is the option that im exploring. But wonder if paying 350 a month to watch seasonal matches would be worth it.

Nah I didn't mean cable, just a portable TV with antenna, it ll catch DD1 for news and some ODI's including World Cup matches.

Yusuf
06 Mar 09,, 07:25
Heh :biggrin:
Nah I didn't mean cable, just a portable TV with antenna, it ll catch DD1 for news and some ODI's including World Cup matches.

No use having DD1.

I have got hold of a software that shows all TV Channels. But alas!! no match due to rain.

Knaur Amarsh
06 Mar 09,, 14:18
No use having DD1.

I have got hold of a software that shows all TV Channels. But alas!! no match due to rain.

Yeah bugger that huh, was looking forward a repeat performance of the last ODI, would have been sweet going up 2 - nil, still lets hope the rest of the matches don't get washed out too.

Knaur Amarsh
08 Mar 09,, 12:08
Smoked em :cool:

2-0 :biggrin:

Entertaining match overall, we looked pretty rattled sometimes, like at NZ opening and 8 down.

Terrible fielding by us in the initial stage of their innings though, dropped catches and all, hope we can do better next time on that.

bolo121
11 Mar 09,, 11:59
Crushing victory despite the rain blighting the match.
I really regret coming to office today and missing the extraordinary Sehwag century.
First series win in 33 years :))

Knaur Amarsh
11 Mar 09,, 13:34
Crushing victory despite the rain blighting the match.
I really regret coming to office today and missing the extraordinary Sehwag century.
First series win in 33 years :))

3- nil :)) Where's Parihaka?

tankie
11 Mar 09,, 13:40
3- nil :)) Where's Parihaka?

Hiding out in Ozz :biggrin:

dave lukins
11 Mar 09,, 14:30
I see England once again grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory:)

Bigfella
11 Mar 09,, 14:36
I see England once again grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory:)

A few weeks ago I was hearing people in the media talk about the possibility of England recapturing the Ashes this year. Don't think I'll be hearing it much between now & when the tour starts.:)

kuku
11 Mar 09,, 17:05
Hiding out in Ozz :biggrin:

They are calling in the big guns now
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/93/38997116.th.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=38997116.jpg)

dave lukins
11 Mar 09,, 17:46
A few weeks ago I was hearing people in the media talk about the possibility of England recapturing the Ashes this year. Don't think I'll be hearing it much between now & when the tour starts.:)

Ian Botham laid into their decision to declare, for a second time. He said the 'Think Tank' behind the Team should go off shore and sink. He was not a happy teddy. To say he was furious by some of the decisions would be an under-statement.

Parihaka
11 Mar 09,, 19:14
:sighs:

martinmystry
11 Mar 09,, 19:39
England was pretty much unlucky second time in the series.A fair result would have been a 1-1.But luck favors those who deserve it and nice to see West Indies winning a test series.
Besides India is looking unstoppable and wonder if even 350 would be a good score against them.

Knaur Amarsh
11 Mar 09,, 20:23
Ian Botham laid into their decision to declare, for a second time. He said the 'Think Tank' behind the Team should go off shore and sink. He was not a happy teddy. To say he was furious by some of the decisions would be an under-statement.

How did that match turn out sir? I saw it the night before I think, Windies were trailing by 90 or so and 7 down in their first innings then, now reading the scorecard on Cricinfo. Does Sir Botham think England should have declared earlier in the second innings? :confused:

Knaur Amarsh
11 Mar 09,, 20:26

So which knock did you like better, Tendulkar's in the second ODI or Sehwag's in the third? :biggrin:

Yusuf
20 Mar 09,, 08:38
India on top in the first test. Great chance for India to rewrite the history books by winning a test in NZ.

Parihaka
20 Mar 09,, 08:52

Knaur Amarsh
20 Mar 09,, 10:49
India on top in the first test. Great chance for India to rewrite the history books by winning a test in NZ.

Yeah man, hope we wrap this one up.

Knaur Amarsh
20 Mar 09,, 10:55

NZ did win the last ODI though, unlike a certain island to the West that got drubbed 5-0, and followed it up by getting humiliated by the Windies :))

Yusuf
20 Mar 09,, 13:45
India is off to a great start by capturing 3 wickets. India should not be looking to chase more than a 100 on the last day.

ANZAC
21 Mar 09,, 07:29
Just came across the thread & seeing it's about the 'game they play in heaven' [apologies to the Rugby union boys,] & being a cricket tragic, had to jump in.

Congratulations to India on the big win against the Kiwi's, [first time in NZ in 33 years the commentators say] good to see Sachin in such good touch, India seems a well balanced side & the kiwi's are going to be battling to beat them, it may be the side that India can challenge for world title honours in tests & ODI's as well as being champs in 20/20's.

Been watching an absolute smorgasbord of cricket, including most of the India/Kiwi tour, including the 20/20's & ODI's, plus the England/West indies tour, [good effort by the Windies, first series win against a top side for awhile, 5 years I think] and even a few of the Women's ODI World Cup matches [Aussies missed out, bummer]

But of course the main event [for me at least] was watching the Aussies series win in South Africa.

Not many people thought we had much chance after our disappointing effort at home, & the ICC even had the World champions trophy in SA ready to hand it to the Saffies, but the Aussies had something to say about that.

So, still World champions, but I think we'll have to be satisfied with a 2-1 win, as I think we're going down the gurgler at Cape Town, [dead rubber syndrome]

We're slowly getting a fair side together after the retirement of all the champions, with young Hughes & North, & with Lee, Clarke, perhaps Symonds, Watson & Jacques waiting in the wings, it's looking good for the Ashes.

Yusuf
21 Mar 09,, 09:17
Congrats India. An innings win would have been sweeter.

Yusuf
21 Mar 09,, 09:18
Just a little greedy :biggrin::biggrin:

Knaur Amarsh
21 Mar 09,, 10:55
Congratulations to India on the big win against the Kiwi's, India can challenge for world title honours in tests & ODI's as well as being champs in 20/20's.

Yeah, ironic though that we actually lost the two T-20s at the beginning of the Kiwi tour IIRC :redface:

Been watching an absolute smorgasbord of cricket, and even a few of the Women's ODI World Cup matches [Aussies missed out, bummer]

NZ girlies smashed the Pak side, the final's going to be a close one methinks :cool:

But of course the main event [for me at least] was watching the Aussies series win in South Africa.

Aussies did very well, they'v proven to analysts who were saying Oz's days of glory are over that they'v still got the winning spirit in them.

Knaur Amarsh
21 Mar 09,, 10:56
Just a little greedy :biggrin::biggrin:

Maybe in the next match .... :)):))

Yusuf
21 Mar 09,, 13:19
Hope so. Would be great to win a Test series in NZ. Never have we won there. So to win the ODIs and also the Test series would just be the boost India needs on the road to becoming a champion test team with wins all over the world.

ANZAC
22 Mar 09,, 06:33
Yeah, ironic though that we actually lost the two T-20s at the beginning of the Kiwi tour IIRC :redface:

Hi Knaur.......
Wouldn't read much into those 20/20 losses, as the Indians had barely found their legs in NZ, not much chance to acclimatise these days is there?

NZ girlies smashed the Pak side, the final's going to be a close one methinks :cool:

England 4 for 112 off 30 overs chasing 167 to win the Women's World cup, just lost 3 quick wickets & the Kiwi's are back in it.

Aussies did very well, they'v proven to analysts who were saying Oz's days of glory are over that they'v still got the winning spirit in them.

Yeah, after losing blokes like Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist, Hayden, Langer, Martyn, McGill etc, etc, it's going to take some rebuilding, but they seem to be on the right track, even though we're probably going to lose in Cape Town by an innings by the look of it.

One of the Saffie commentators, Wessels I think, said the Aussie quicks looked tired & he's probably right, Mitch Johnson & Siddle in particular, have bowled & lot of overs in the last few months.

Like the Aussies, the Kiwi's have lost key players like Fleming, Astle, Styrus, McMillan & especially Bond...Shane Bond...he was one out of the box, a great quick, who like most Kiwi's seemed to grow another leg when they faced Aussies, ran through the Aussie batting on more then one ocassion, big loss for the Kiwi's.

What's happened to Sreesanth by the way?
Always thought he was a in your face aggressive type of bowler, surprised he can't make the side.

ANZAC
22 Mar 09,, 07:29
Congratulations England winning the Women's World cup by four wickets 6 for 167.

Knaur Amarsh
22 Mar 09,, 21:46
Hi Knaur.......
Wouldn't read much into those 20/20 losses, as the Indians had barely found their legs in NZ, not much chance to acclimatise these days is there?

Hi,
Perhaps so, you win some, lose some. I thought NZ just played better in the T-20s, we didn't set any spectacular totals and they batted well to achieve them with relative ease.

One of the Saffie commentators, Wessels I think, said the Aussie quicks looked tired & he's probably right, Mitch Johnson & Siddle in particular, have bowled & lot of overs in the last few months.

Not been following any matches except our own of late, so I got no idea about Siddle, somehow never seen him bowl to be honest, Johnson is great, didn't he make it to the side pretty late for a pacer though? Lee also made it to the permanent squad rather late, hey btw, is he in the team now?

What's happened to Sreesanth by the way?
Always thought he was a in your face aggressive type of bowler, surprised he can't make the side.

Series of injuries, the bane of any fast bowler, lower back is the latest.

Knaur Amarsh
22 Mar 09,, 21:49
Rumour has it that IPL might be staged abroad this year.

Sumku
22 Mar 09,, 22:44
Rumour has it that IPL might be staged abroad this year.
England to be precise but I still feel that it should have been staged in the country itself. For the cost of logistics that IPL would bear now, they could have hired a division sized private security guards complete with Bullet Proof Buses/Cars/Vans etc

Knaur Amarsh
22 Mar 09,, 22:53
England to be precise but I still feel that it should have been staged in the country itself. For the cost of logistics that IPL would bear now, they could have hired a division sized private security guards complete with Bullet Proof Buses/Cars/Vans etc

Yeah, SA or England was what I heard, reckon its probably cheaper to hold the matches abroad than hire out security contractors of that magnitude. :confused:

Sumku
22 Mar 09,, 23:54
Yeah, SA or England was what I heard, reckon its probably cheaper to hold the matches abroad than hire out security contractors of that magnitude. :confused:
Dont think so.
One of the reason's why Security is an issue, apart from the fact that it would be co-inciding with General Elections is the insistence on part of IPL to hold matches all over India.

Desperate times call for desperate measures so as a one time thing, firstly rather than conducting matches all over the country, it would have been better if they had decided to stick with one or two grounds at the most and then turn those into fortress and secondly stretch the thing by 1-2 weeks more.

Not an expert but IMO, it would have been cheaper and rather than paying to maintain/generate revenues for some stadiums in SA/England, Cricket Infra in India would have benefited ---- in this time of recession when people are loosing jobs,would have brought some respite to atleast a few

ANZAC
23 Mar 09,, 05:42
Not been following any matches except our own of late, so I got no idea about Siddle, somehow never seen him bowl to be honest, Johnson is great, didn't he make it to the side pretty late for a pacer though? Lee also made it to the permanent squad rather late, hey btw, is he in the team now?

Well, Siddle is a Victorian, 24 years old, not tall, but is very aggressive in your face type bowler like Sreesanth, probably a bit faster, can get close to 150 km on occasions & seems to have cemented his place in the side now, even with Lee & Clarke coming back.

7 tests, 29 wickets at 27.

And Mitch Johnson, Australia's new dynamite ALLROUNDER, did anyone cop a load of his blistering ton against the Saffies last night?

126 not out, off 103 balls, he & McDonald put on 116 in ONE hour.

He was unlucky in Johannesburg, where he smashed his way to 96 [26 off one Harris over] before losing his last two partners in consecutive balls, & it shows what you can do when you have a crack at it, instead of just pottering around trying to save a match.

Saffie captain Graeme Smith must be glad to see the back of Johnson who got a ball to rise sharply and broke his right hand in Durban after he had done a similar thing to Smith's other hand in January's Sydney Test.

Johnson is 27 & made his test debut in '07 against Sri Lanka, 21 tests, 94 wickets at 28 & a batting average of 34.7.

Lee is fit again after his foot stress fractures, & says he expects to be reinstated to the role of Australian pace spearhead, although Johnson & Siddle are going great guns at the moment.

Sad situation with the IPL, & also Pakistan struggling to stage tests at home.

Knaur Amarsh
23 Mar 09,, 09:37
Johnson is 27 & made his test debut in '07 against Sri Lanka, 21 tests, 94 wickets at 28 & a batting average of 34.7.

Lee is fit again after his foot stress fractures, & says he expects to be reinstated to the role of Australian pace spearhead, although Johnson & Siddle are going great guns at the moment.

Sad situation with the IPL, & also Pakistan struggling to stage tests at home.

Ah Ok, at 27 he probably has some peak years ahead of him, for some strange reason I had him pegged at around Lee's age in my mind. Lee's in his early 30s, will have to retire after the next World Cup I suppose since pace bowlers tend to retire comparatively early.

IPL, well the situation is precarious but hopefully they ll work something out. Quite apart from the overall increased threat perception , general elections are also going to be held all over the country this year, so police and paramilitary forces are going to be way too busy to provide effective security cover to the participants.

payeng
23 Mar 09,, 10:57
Why isn't it possible to shift date when their is no polling or counting taking place or the UPA is too frighten to take the risk after condemning Pakistani establishments.

Yusuf
23 Mar 09,, 11:04
There is a think line between being brave and foolish. If the IPL was held here without the kind of security sought by the IPL and there were to be any untoward incident, then that would be the end of cricket in India as well. As it is many players from Oz and Eng were jittery about traveling here including Pietersen, without any government approved security, those guys would not have come.
Im sure terrorists are waiting for an opportunity to strike at Indian Cricket so that it also meets the same fate as Pakistans. We have to make sure that their intentions never fructify.

ANZAC
26 Mar 09,, 07:55
2nd Test, NZ vs India, Kiwis 4-351 at stumps after being 3-23, thanks to a 271 run partnership between Taylor, out for 151, & Ryder 137 not out.

Highest partnership ever for the 4th wicket by the Kiwis.

Yusuf
26 Mar 09,, 10:09
Catches win matches they say. It has cost India dear.

ANZAC
27 Mar 09,, 07:29
Stumps day 2... NZ 9-619 declared, India 3-79
India stumbling a little, but they still have you know who.
Ryder made 201, the third highest score against India by a Kiwi.

Yusuf
28 Mar 09,, 17:11
Looks like India is heading towards an innings defeat unless we get something special from the three giants of Indian batting line up. Yuvraj seems to be lost again after the brilliance in Sri Lanka. Dinesh Kartik seriously needs to work on his keeping. India is really missing it's Skipper.

stevenjo
28 Mar 09,, 17:37
yes india is surely missing its skipper, not only he is a great captain and player but also lucky.

Yusuf
28 Mar 09,, 17:43
yes india is surely missing its skipper, not only he is a great captain and player but also lucky.

It's more to do with his captaincy than anything else. Great motivator and someone who gets more than a hundred percent from his players.

bolo121
28 Mar 09,, 20:11
I was again irritated by sehwag's careless behaviour, getting out when your team is staring down the barrel after an inept performance as Captain during the NZ 1st innings.
The poor fielding really needs to be addressed urgently.

Bigfella
29 Mar 09,, 03:13
Indian cricket desperately needs to win this series if it wants to be taken seriously. Success against Australia in 2008 prompted some to suggest that India might be able to take the no.1 spot. Even before Australia's resurgence I thought this was overly optimistic. Why?

First - Sth Africa: The Springbok/Proteas have the best cohort of young talent in world cricket. Of their star players only Smith, Kallis, Boucher & Ntini are remotely close to retirement. The rest of the team are not only young, but very talented. This will be the team to beat for some time to come.

Second - Australia: The Aussies looked tired in 2008. They struggled with injuries, players in poor form, behaving badly or past their best. At times Ponting seemed utterly lost. Out of this have come some overdue changes. A series of newer players & improvements from some existing ones have revived that competitive spirit that kept them on top for a dozen years. Of particular concern to others is the depth in bowling stocks - fully fit we have another 4-6 quality fast/fast-medium bowlers ready to go (plus allrounder Watson). We currently lack a quality spinner & need to blood a few more young batsmen, but Australia won't be giving up no.1 without a fight.

Third (and most important) India: The good news is that India has unearthed some talented young players over the past few years - particularly bowlers. The bad news is that the generation of cricketers that should have taken India to the top are going or gone. Kumble & Ganguly are gone, Dravid, Teldulkar & even Laxman can't be far away. The holes they are leaving are not being filled.

I am impressed by Dhoni & Gambhir, but the rest of the batsmen do nothing for me. Sehwag should be maturing into a senior player, but he still bats like an 18 year old. Yuvraj Singh makes Sehwag look like Tendulkar. I don't know if it is the money, the adulation, too much T20 or something else, but too many young Indian cricketers seem to be all flash & attitude & too little substance. Compare with batsmen like AB De Villiers, JP Duminy or even Hashim Amla. Chalk & cheese.

India probably needs to find one more bowler & at least 2 batsmen over the next 18 months to be a serious competitor to Sth Africa & Australia. India also needs to do something it has never managed before - win consistently outside the subcontinent. India's young players may yet find their feet & help lead the way. If they don't, India may be consigned to another lengthy period of watching others from below.

ANZAC
29 Mar 09,, 07:20
Stumps day 4 India 252-2, Gambhir 102 not out, Tendulkar 58 not out.

A draw seems to be on the cards, but you never know with cricket.

If you ever wanted a road to bat on, Napier is the place, can't work out how the Indians failed in the first innings, but they're making up for it now.

The Kiwi's should have stuck to the tracks they had when India last toured, the greenest, meanest pitches I've ever seen [Ganguly took one look & said they were only fit to graze cattle]:)) NZ won two zip & no Indian player made more then 76 in both tests.

Tronic
29 Mar 09,, 07:49
I am impressed by Dhoni & Gambhir, but the rest of the batsmen do nothing for me. Sehwag should be maturing into a senior player, but he still bats like an 18 year old. Yuvraj Singh makes Sehwag look like Tendulkar. I don't know if it is the money, the adulation, too much T20 or something else, but too many young Indian cricketers seem to be all flash & attitude & too little substance. Compare with batsmen like AB De Villiers, JP Duminy or even Hashim Amla. Chalk & cheese.

Sehwag and Yuvraj are extremely talented batsmen, it is only on consistency where they slack off. Sehwag has his periods of ups and downs, dangerous at times, useless at others, I guess some cannot tame their aggressive instincts like Dhoni; and Yuvraj is just one of those lads who is a very dangerous player when he gets cracking, but then easily looses concentration, either he is out partying when he should be training or trying to link up with bollywood gals. :rolleyes: Not to say that it is a fixated team, the players are still coming in and out of the team. One very important player I believe you missed is Suresh Raina; I think he will be the next biggest Indian batsman to look out for; right now, he is still in his grooming process, yet has already left his marks on the international scene.

Bigfella
29 Mar 09,, 08:41
Sehwag and Yuvraj are extremely talented batsmen, it is only on consistency where they slack off. Sehwag has his periods of ups and downs, dangerous at times, useless at others, I guess some cannot tame their aggressive instincts like Dhoni; and Yuvraj is just one of those lads who is a very dangerous player when he gets cracking, but then easily looses concentration, either he is out partying when he should be training or trying to link up with bollywood gals. :rolleyes: Not to say that it is a fixated team, the players are still coming in and out of the team. One very important player I believe you missed is Suresh Raina; I think he will be the next biggest Indian batsman to look out for; right now, he is still in his grooming process, yet has already left his marks on the international scene.

I love aggressive batsmen, but with a few caveats:

*The selectors need to balance them with more sturdy ones. At the moment the sturdy ones in the Indian side are about to retire. I hope for India's sake there are a few more sober types lurking in te first class ranks.

*They need to know when they can be aggressive & when to bat within themselves. My problem with Sehwag in particular is that he will soon be the senior batsman in the side. He needs to act like it.

I am not so concerned about Doni. Keepers can afford to be a bit cavalier, he just needs to be aware of the example he sets as captain at crucial times.

It might seem like I'm being a bit harsh on India, but I say the same things about Australia. I spent much of the summer screaming at the television about Australian batsmen batting like millionaires & getting punished for it. The Saffies put the ball outside off & let us get ourselves out. In the return series we didn't fall for it (except Hughes, who simply hit it too hard to get out). Australia built its success on aggressive batting, but we had 7 world class guys at any given time & a mixture of styles. We can't always bat like than now. We can afford one Hughes, but not three.

ANZAC
30 Mar 09,, 06:34
Napier test meandered to a draw India 476-4.

VVS Laxman 124 not out, Yuvraj Singh 54 not out.

Gambhir was the saviour with a patient 127.

Yusuf
30 Mar 09,, 07:16
Some good solid and determined batting by Gambhir, Dravid and Tendulkar saved India. Laxman and Yuvraj helped themselves in the end with some batting practice and Test runs while the pie chuckers were on.

ANZAC
30 Mar 09,, 07:16
What India have now is a dynamite opening pair, with Gambhir getting better each test [average over 50] & you have to get Sehwag quick or he'll murder you [average over 50 also]

Those blokes will take the pressure off other bats, & although eventually losing Tenduklar & Dravid will no doubt leave a huge hole, I can hardly remember a period when India didn't have top class batsmen & spinners comming along, Upthappa & Raina could be a couple to watch out for.

But the big improvement India's made recently is the current crop of seamers.

Iv'e always thought that India's main problem [especially overseas] has been the lack of depth in fast bowling, due to their spin friendly pitches probably discouraging some guys from taking up seam bowling back in India.

But now they have a crop of young quicks such as RP Singh, Irfan Pathan, Parthiv Patel, Sreesanth & especially Ishant Sharma, backed up by Zaheer Khan, gives them more chance to knock over batting line ups away from home & not depend so much on their spinners.

The Saffies have a well balanced side, & have a chance of grabbing top honours but I bet they wont want to have to take on the Aussies to do it.

The Saffies win in Aus was their first series win ever in Aus, since their first tour in 1910/11 & they've won a total of three series in 107 years of contests, they had a golden opportunity in the last series to take top honours, but blew it big time.

But with the best quick in the World & good young bats, they can look forward to good times in the future.

As for the Aussies, well they have good batting, with young Hughes & North along with Jaques, Symonds & Watson etc etc waiting in the wings & Dave Hussey may take over from brother Mike if he doesn't pull his finger out.

Plenty of good quicks with Lee & Clark ready to join the current lot & one of the fastest bowler's in the world in Tait is raring to go.

But who the heck is going to end up being the spinner?

Of their star players only Smith, Kallis, Boucher & Ntini are remotely close to retirement. .

Go along with Kallis, Boucher & Ntini, but Smithy just turned 28, plenty of good years ahead for him.

kuku
30 Mar 09,, 09:41
This test showed how exactly a draw can be worth watching.

I like the way all teams are shaping up, there is so much competition now, all the international tournaments (including the world cup) will be so much fun to watch, for the time the aussies were dominating the cricket scene it just got too predictable, hope it remains like that its better than a team just getting too far ahead of the rest.

Mercenary
30 Mar 09,, 10:15
Out of the fresh batting crop..I only rate Gambhir as an all-pitch batsman...

Yuvraj bats like a king on flat pitches..but looks like a lost kid when the ball begins to seam and swing.. I'm just hoping that Dhoni would look beyond Yuvraj and get the Rainas and Rahanes and BAdrinath/Murali Vijays a chance to cement a place in the middle order..

For now..we're in major trouble when the Tendu/Drav/Lax trio call it a day..and that could be within a shot span of time..

Mercenary
30 Mar 09,, 10:19
But who the heck is going to end up being the spinner?

Aussies should use Michael Clarke and Katich as spinners atleast for the ashes..and get an extra batsman/pace bowler in depending on the pitch..

They shouldn't try to squeeze 'specialist' spinners into the team when these Mc.Gain type bowlers barely make the domestic cut..

although..if i were england..I'd be itching to put on atleast one raging turner of a pitch with Panesar,Adil rasheed in the starting XI

Bigfella
30 Mar 09,, 11:56
Go along with Kallis, Boucher & Ntini, but Smithy just turned 28, plenty of good years ahead for him.

Two things against Smith - he became captain young, so burnout is a strong possibility; recurrent injuries, especially to the hands & arms, may lay him low early. I would be surprised if he plays to 35.

Bigfella
30 Mar 09,, 12:10
Aussies should use Michael Clarke and Katich as spinners atleast for the ashes..and get an extra batsman/pace bowler in depending on the pitch..

They shouldn't try to squeeze 'specialist' spinners into the team when these Mc.Gain type bowlers barely make the domestic cut..

although..if i were england..I'd be itching to put on atleast one raging turner of a pitch with Panesar,Adil rasheed in the starting XI

Agreed, but the selectors are worried about both of them doing their backs. They have done it before. What they will do is let North do most of the hard work & bring in Katich & Clarke for short spells. I agree that playing a spinner just to play one is not bright. In England MacDonald could tie up an end AND take wickets. Might even make runs against that attack.:)

You are being a bit unfair on McGain. he was first pick spinner for the Australian domestic champions this year (Victoria). He bowled alongside Siddle & MacDonald there. To give you a hint of the quality, Australian raised Darren Pattinson, who England picked Last year (unsuccessfully) played a game for Victoria this year - when three of the top bowlers were in the Australian squad, a couple of others were injured & another 4 were rested. In other words, he couldn't make the second XI. McGain may not make it at test level, but I hope one test won't be all the chance we get to find out.

Agree about England's best hope, but the dopey buggers are still living in 2005 when swing bowling won it for them. They've scheduled the first test for Cardiff - not a regular Ashes venue, but renowned for taking swing. Care to imagine any combination of Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, S.Clark, MacDonald & maybe Lee on a deck like that? England will want to win the toss.:))

ANZAC
31 Mar 09,, 08:11
Two things against Smith - he became captain young, so burnout is a strong possibility; recurrent injuries, especially to the hands & arms, may lay him low early. I would be surprised if he plays to 35.

They breed 'em tough on the veldt, busted bones wont worry Smithy, he's up & rarin to go already, be surprised if they don't get 6/7 more good seasons out of him, even if not all as captain.
[as long as he dodges Mitch Johnson];)

On the spinners, Warne has called on selectors to keep faith in McGain ahead of this year's Ashes series despite his disastrous Test debut.

"I just hope that Bryce McGain is not judged on one game, he has been the best spin bowler in domestic cricket ... so hopefully they don't just discard him."

Warne also had a forgettable Test debut, smashed for 1-150 by India at the SCG in '92, and he said a player's first match in the baggy green was always testing.

"It is always very daunting that first Test match and something like that can happen," he said.

"When he came onto bowl, it was a perfect time for South Africa to face him, they were not under pressure and they were cruising and unfortunately that is what happens.

And he felt that spin would play a part in the Ashes...

"The history of Ashes series is that spinners have had a big part to play in those series for both sides," he said.

I think there will be a spinner but whether they go with an all out pace attack ... who knows?

Hauritz, Krejza, & Beau Casson looked good against the Windies taking 3-86 off 25 overs in Bridgetown last year, could be in the mix.

Mercenary
31 Mar 09,, 18:50
Any chance Warne may be picked for the ashes ? - he has earlier made statements saying that he'd come out retirement if Aussies need him for the ashes..

in terms of swing bowling ... agree aussies have a great line-up...nothing like the yesteryears of Lee,Mc.Grath,Gillespie,Warne... but good nonetheless. However, I think flintoff,harmison(when he's good he's really good and vice versa),Simon jones(hope he's fit and recalled) and Broad make a formidable line-up under swinging conditions too...

Would be a very interesting battle if its swing vs swing..... ideally eng should throw in spinnning wickets(one or two) instead of being stuck in 2005

ANZAC
01 Apr 09,, 09:30
Any chance Warne may be picked for the ashes ? - he has earlier made statements saying that he'd come out retirement if Aussies need him for the ashes..

in terms of swing bowling ... agree aussies have a great line-up...nothing like the yesteryears of Lee,Mc.Grath,Gillespie,Warne... but good nonetheless. However, I think flintoff,harmison(when he's good he's really good and vice versa),Simon jones(hope he's fit and recalled) and Broad make a formidable line-up under swinging conditions too...

Would be a very interesting battle if its swing vs swing..... ideally eng should throw in spinnning wickets(one or two) instead of being stuck in 2005

Nah, no chance on Warney coming back, the selectors are looking ahead now & he's pushing McGain, Warney's probably happy planning on making it back to back wins in the IPL.

If the reverse swing option doesn't work for the Poms, I suppose they could revert to something like Old Trafford in Manchester in '54, which was tailor made for the spinners Laker & lock.

Laker ended up getting 19-90, & Lock pinched one to stop Laker from getting all 20 wickets.

Panesar is no Laker, but if he gets a good track he may be a handful.

Knaur Amarsh
04 Apr 09,, 21:39
We are going to defeat NZ .. again :biggrin:

Mercenary
04 Apr 09,, 23:59
We are going to defeat NZ .. again :biggrin:

Still room for improvement.. we need to get someone else in the place of overrated yuvraj and a reliable third seamer for useless munaf..

ANZAC
05 Apr 09,, 08:06
India cruising to a win [baring bad weather] another good ton by Gambhir.
Be India's first win series since the first tour in the sixties.

And the Aussies go in to battle again tonight against SA after blitzing the Saffies by 141 runs in the first ODI, M Hussey 83 not out, Hauritz 4-29.

Still room for improvement.. we need to get someone else in the place of overrated yuvraj and a reliable third seamer for useless munaf..

What about RP Singh, Irfan Pathan, suppose Sreesanth would be a natural after injury.
Or Uthappa, Raina, for middle order.

Mercenary
05 Apr 09,, 15:28
What about RP Singh, Irfan Pathan, suppose Sreesanth would be a natural after injury.
Or Uthappa, Raina, for middle order.

RP singh/Sreesanth too injury prone I think... especially the latter..its been an entire year that he's been out-of-action... Irfan just lost his way somewhere..not half the bowler he used to be when he first burst into the scene..

Uthappa too inconsistent even in ODIs ..so forget about tests. Raina might be a good option to try..

Like the erstwhile aussies..if india needs to be world beater..then it needs credible back-up for every position. If gambhir/sehwag gets injured..i don't think there's anyone who can even do half the job.. same goes for tendu,laxman,dravid,dhoni,harbhajan,ishant,zaheer. ..no back-up!..we're pretty much winning everything because we're miraculously able to field our BEST combination for every test

ANZAC
06 Apr 09,, 10:26
Cripes, one day we smash the Saffies, then a couple of days later the Aussies are 5-19, & lose by 7 wickets.

Can't quite work out the selectors, they still persist with Clarke as an opener when he's in the middle of a batting slump, & they call in a medium pacer when they've got one of the fastest bowlers in the world waiting to have a go.

Having said that Clarke might hit up a ton in the next match, but at the moment I think I might make more runs.:))

zoobe
22 Apr 09,, 15:23
Pakistan vs Australia

1st ODI
Australia 122/9 (31.0 ov)

Saeed Ajmal 8.1 overs, Runs 17 Wickets 2
Shahid Afridi 10.0 overs, Runs 38 Wickets 6

What a bowling by these two.
Boom Boom Afridi, One of the best all rounders.
Mix Pakistani and Australian crowd look awsome
Love you heros

Mercenary
22 Apr 09,, 17:38
Pakistan vs Australia

1st ODI
Australia 122/9 (31.0 ov)

Saeed Ajmal 8.1 overs, Runs 17 Wickets 2
Shahid Afridi 10.0 overs, Runs 38 Wickets 6

What a bowling by these two.
Boom Boom Afridi, One of the best all rounders.
Mix Pakistani and Australian crowd look awsome
Love you heros

Pak turning into erstwhile India...spin winning them matches :cool:

zoobe
22 Apr 09,, 20:08
Pak turning into erstwhile India...spin winning them matches :cool:

Pakistan won in first ODI against Australia.

A morale-boosting win for Pakistan after all that has happened in the recent months. Australia were in control early on, but were dented by a six-wicket burst from Shahid Afridi. Though they did fight back well to make Pakistan work for their runs, a score of 168 never looked threatening. Kamran Akmal was the star with the bat, making a fluent 48, and Afridi provided some entertainment with a quickfire 24. Misbah laboured to 30, but his presence at the crease was important for Pakistan to scale down their target.

Australia will try to bat hard at the nets, facing their spinners and using their feet a lot more to get some much needed practice ahead of their second match. Hold fire, and we'll bring you the details from the presentation shortly.

There are a zillion people on the presentation podium. Shahid Afridi is the Man of the Match. No surprises there.

Mercenary
22 Apr 09,, 20:18
Not a very convincing win though..Pak batting just managed to crawl over the finish line on its hands and knees..good match nonetheless!!

zoobe
23 Apr 09,, 05:49
Not a very convincing win though..Pak batting just managed to crawl over the finish line on its hands and knees..good match nonetheless!!

But win is a win.

Knaur Amarsh
23 Apr 09,, 15:41
Say, no one following IPL?

Mohan
23 Apr 09,, 17:09
I miss Indian crowd this time

Mercenary
23 Apr 09,, 17:26
But win is a win.

Agreed!..

Big + for Pak
Shahid Afridi bowled beautifully.. and backed it up with a batting cameo..

I'd be concerned abt Ajmal though...He;d be a good spinner if he can somehow straighten out the wrong-un..his action is extremely suspect when he bowls the wrong-un..

Mercenary
23 Apr 09,, 17:29
I miss Indian crowd this time

atleast we get to see the indian youngsters for all they're worth...!..instead of unearthing flat track bullies like Uthappa..we can now see who are the ones who can really make the cut under overseas conditions..

so far Pathiv Patel seems to be the only one doing well...playing perfect foil for Hayden..

speaking about Hayden...Aussies could very well use this guy...he;s just another jayasurya..in the form of his life inspite of his age...

anyone looking forward to Rajasthan handing Atul Sharma a debut? - so much of mystery surrounding the fast bowler....

zoobe
23 Apr 09,, 20:28
Agreed!..

Big + for Pak

I'd be concerned abt Ajmal though...He;d be a good spinner if he can somehow straighten out the wrong-un..his action is extremely suspect when he bowls the wrong-un..

I agree, especially bold. His action is doubtfull

ANZAC
24 Apr 09,, 10:28
Agreed!..

Big + for Pak

Glad i'm not the only one who thinks that about Ajmal, thought his wrong-un
was pretty sus, & South African Johan Botha's in the same boat. Afridi was great.

The old timers like Hayden, Kumble & Warne still have plenty left in the tank.

bolo121
24 Apr 09,, 11:23
Say, no one following IPL?

Yesterday saw a really close ipl match between Kolkotha and Rajasthan. Went to a tie and decision by a super over. Seesaw all the way.

Mohan
24 Apr 09,, 11:55
atleast we get to see the indian youngsters for all they're worth...!..instead of unearthing flat track bullies like Uthappa..we can now see who are the ones who can really make the cut under overseas conditions..

so far Pathiv Patel seems to be the only one doing well...playing perfect foil for Hayden..

speaking about Hayden...Aussies could very well use this guy...he;s just another jayasurya..in the form of his life inspite of his age...

anyone looking forward to Rajasthan handing Atul Sharma a debut? - so much of mystery surrounding the fast bowler....

Yeah I agree with you.its good for Indian cricket.

zoobe
24 Apr 09,, 18:34

(2nd ODI)Today Pakistan Batting collapsed. Poor batting performance
Ausses looking in great position

Mercenary
25 Apr 09,, 08:21
(2nd ODI)Today Pakistan Batting collapsed. Poor batting performance
Ausses looking in great position

Pak batting like i said earlier..really bad!..infact one of the worst among test playing nations if i may say..

Would really do good if they get rid of overrated players like Butt and Misbah, get in yougsters like Fawad alam.

Bowling too leaves room for improvement..the enigma-Rao iftikhar..I've no idea why he is still in the playing XI..when young prodigies like mohammad aamer are waiting in the wings..

Mercenary
25 Apr 09,, 08:27

updated list..

Ojha(left arm spinner),
Kamran Khan(Left arm medium fast),
Balaji(Left arm medium fast),
Sangwan(Left arm medium) all doing well...

Gives India a good pool of players to back-up the current international set-up

Does anyone here think Kamran's action is borderline suspect ?...

Robin Bingo
02 May 09,, 14:03
updated list..

Ojha(left arm spinner),
Kamran Khan(Left arm medium fast),
Balaji(Left arm medium fast),
Sangwan(Left arm medium) all doing well...

Gives India a good pool of players to back-up the current international set-up

Does anyone here think Kamran's action is borderline suspect ?...

Yousaf pathan-Rajasthan Royals(he is the main man for them right now)
Rudra pratap singh-Deccan Chargers
K P Appana -Royal Challengers
Dinesh Kartik-Delhi Daredevils(i think he is doing better than parthiv patel)
Suresh Raina-Chennai Super Kings

No i think Kamran's action is clean.

And yeah..i am following IPL...i watch almost every match.

Mercenary
02 May 09,, 14:18
No i think Kamran's action is clean.

He just got reported for a suspect action!..

Hi action has always seemed highly suspect, especially the slow-mo replays..
Maybe now we may get to see the legend "atul sharma' in his place

Robin Bingo
02 May 09,, 14:25
He just got reported for a suspect action!..

Hi action has always seemed highly suspect, especially the slow-mo replays..
Maybe now we may get to see the legend "atul sharma' in his place

any link?

ok got it.

Kamran Khan reported for suspect bowling action

JOHANNESBURG (AFP) — Kamran Khan, the Rajasthan Royals' teenaged fast bowling discovery, has been reported for having a suspect bowling action.

Khan, the son of a woodcutter from Uttar Pradesh in India, was reported by umpires Rudi Koertzen and Graham Baxter after the Royals' Indian Premier League match against the Chennai Super Kings at Centurion Thursday.

The left-armed Khan, 18, has surprised batsmen with the pace generated from a whippy, slingy action since being drafted into the Royals' squad, reportedly on a contract worth 24,000 dollars a season, after being spotted by assistant coach Darren Berry during a tournament in Mumbai.

He was the bowler chosen by captain Shane Warne to bowl a decisive 'super over' to secure a win against the Kolkata Knight Riders.

In a statement, the IPL said footage of Khan taken during Thursday's match was studied by the umpires and would be referred to the IPL's technical committee.

IPL commissioner Lalit Modi said he was awaiting a report from the committee before deciding on further action.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hAWZnkt6XjVWCQkexvXx7A_uIU6w

Mercenary
02 May 09,, 14:28
any link?

AFP: Kamran Khan reported for suspect bowling action (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hAWZnkt6XjVWCQkexvXx7A_uIU6w)

Kamran Khan reported for suspect bowling action
20 hours ago

JOHANNESBURG (AFP) — Kamran Khan, the Rajasthan Royals' teenaged fast bowling discovery, has been reported for having a suspect bowling action.

Khan, the son of a woodcutter from Uttar Pradesh in India, was reported by umpires Rudi Koertzen and Graham Baxter after the Royals' Indian Premier League match against the Chennai Super Kings at Centurion Thursday.

The left-armed Khan, 18, has surprised batsmen with the pace generated from a whippy, slingy action since being drafted into the Royals' squad, reportedly on a contract worth 24,000 dollars a season, after being spotted by assistant coach Darren Berry during a tournament in Mumbai.

He was the bowler chosen by captain Shane Warne to bowl a decisive 'super over' to secure a win against the Kolkata Knight Riders.

In a statement, the IPL said footage of Khan taken during Thursday's match was studied by the umpires and would be referred to the IPL's technical committee.

IPL commissioner Lalit Modi said he was awaiting a report from the committee before deciding on further action.

Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved. More »

Robin Bingo
02 May 09,, 14:29
poor guy..got injured and now reported for a suspect action.

Mercenary
02 May 09,, 14:32
poor guy..got injured and now reported for a suspect action.:(

To be fair..it looked quite bad..not even 'borderline'..deserved to be reported

Now I guess they'll work on his action, and as a result he'll turn into yet another medium pacer

Robin Bingo
02 May 09,, 14:34
Rajasthan Royal vs Deccan Chargers

Royals are 5 for the loss of 3 wickets.

Robin Bingo
02 May 09,, 14:35
To be fair..it looked quite bad..not even 'borderline'..deserved to be reported

Now I guess they'll work on his action, and as a result he'll turn into yet another medium pacer

and loose his sting.

dave lukins
02 May 09,, 14:54
and loose his sting.

Lets hope he recovers soon and returns to sting again:))

Anth bhala to sab bhala;)

Robin Bingo
02 May 09,, 18:23

he has been reported for a suspected action..the ICC will work on his action sir..this means he will have to change his action a little bit and will loose his old action where he is difficult to read...i was refering to this sir..:)

Robin Bingo
03 May 09,, 15:54

Sir what is the Hindi for Cricket? :eek: :)) :)

this one is tough for you.;)

dave lukins
04 May 09,, 12:06
Sir what is the Hindi for Cricket? :eek: :)) :)

this one is tough for you.;)

Mmmm I'll have a go at.....charakaTaa

Knaur Amarsh
04 May 09,, 13:00
Good watching IPL yesterday, Kings 11 Pb. won their match and Mumbai lost theirs, just what I was rooting for, makes us move up the table, right next to DDevils and DChargers :cool:

Knaur Amarsh
04 May 09,, 13:01
Mmmm I'll have a go at.....charakaTaa

Or maybe you can say Tidda .. technically it means grasshopper but am sure Cricket would be somewhat related :biggrin:

Robin Bingo
04 May 09,, 13:23
cricket in hindi----->Gol guttam lakad battam de danadan pratiyogita

pretty long name..isnt it?

dave lukins
05 May 09,, 00:58
cricket in hindi----->Gol guttam lakad battam de danadan pratiyogita

pretty long name..isnt it?

It certainly is. However 'tis not as long as this small railway station in Wales

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch.

Have a go..remember your basic Welsh.Ll=kkll. pw=f i=e y=s g =gok=:)):))

Robin Bingo
05 May 09,, 03:15
It certainly is. However 'tis not as long as this small railway station in Wales

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch.

Have a go..remember your basic Welsh.Ll=kkll. pw=f i=e y=s g =gok=:)):))

ya i have heard of this...are most welsh people able to spell this? :))

Parihaka
05 May 09,, 03:58
Ahem.

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

A small hill in New Zealand

Robin Bingo
05 May 09,, 04:35
Ahem.

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

A small hill in New Zealand

that name more suits the mt everest..guess that hill will be of a lot of importance to the Māori....thats why a big name i guess.

Knaur Amarsh
05 May 09,, 09:23
Chargers packed up for 100 last night, too bad, I was rooting for them, didn't want Chennai in the top 4

Robin Bingo
05 May 09,, 10:12
Chargers packed up for 100 last night, too bad, I was rooting for them, didn't want Chennai in the top 4

deccan chargers and delhi daredevils which were earlier winning consistently are now losing matches...this tournament is very unpredictable...i should rather say the format itself is unpredictable.

Knaur Amarsh
05 May 09,, 10:17
deccan chargers and delhi daredevils which were earlier winning consistently are now losing matches...this tournament is very unpredictable...i should rather say the format itself is unpredictable.

Yep, reverse is true for Pb., we lost the first two, tough luck and D/L, picked up pace later though, surprising to see Royals at second last though eh? Oh well, I hope we make it to the semis :))

bolo121
05 May 09,, 10:42
Well after taking some beatings looks like Kumble is helping Bangalore along.
I dont think they will make it to the Semis though, so hoping at least the royals do.

Robin Bingo
05 May 09,, 10:59
Except Kolkata Knight Riders everyone has a chance.

MP W L NR RR P
Chennai 8 4 3 1 +1.36 9
Punjab 7 4 3 0 +0.09 8
Delhi 6 4 2 0 +0.08 8
Hyderabad 7 4 3 0 +0.04 8
Bangalore 8 4 4 0 -0.20 8
Mumbai 7 3 3 1 +0.76 7
Rajasthan 7 3 3 1 -1.03 7
Kolkata 8 1 6 1 -1.18 3

Knaur Amarsh
05 May 09,, 11:01
Well after taking some beatings looks like Kumble is helping Bangalore along.
I dont think they will make it to the Semis though, so hoping at least the royals do.

Its wide open, they got 4 outta 8 though, Royals have 3 outta 7, same for Mumbai, couple of unexpected results and the whole scenario can change, lets see.

Knaur Amarsh
05 May 09,, 11:05
But RR will be facing Kings 11 today, make it 3 outta 8 for them then :))

Robin Bingo
05 May 09,, 11:20
But RR will be facing Kings 11 today, make it 3 outta 8 for them then :))

your team is not in that good form to beat RR ;)

Knaur Amarsh
05 May 09,, 12:09
your team is not in that good form to beat RR ;)

My team is second from the top :P RR from the bottom

Mohan
05 May 09,, 13:12
Well what ever you all say. I am happy because my team (RCB) is turning the tide and we will make it to the top (I am keeping my fingers crossed. atleast they make it to semis).

Robin Bingo
05 May 09,, 17:17
see i told you RR will win....:tongue:

Knaur Amarsh
05 May 09,, 18:21
see i told you RR will win....:tongue:

Yeah, you jinxed it:mad:

Robin Bingo
06 May 09,, 03:20
Yeah, you jinxed it:mad:

i was expecting a tough fight though..but your team got a THRASHING :))..i was remebering your comments when i was watching the match and was feeling happy that my prediction would be right..;)

Mohan
24 May 09,, 15:59
he he he he he .............. every body wrote us off. but we are here and we rose from bottom. We will win the cup this time.

Knaur Amarsh
06 Jun 09,, 03:35
Well I am getting late for work, but this is too bloody good to not post :biggrin::tongue:

Netherlands defeat hosts England in Cricket by 4 wickets at Lord's

Yahoo! Cricket News - Dutch stun England (http://cricket.yahoo.com/cricket/news/article?id=item/2.0/-/cricket.yahoonews.com/944ef179b359755ee284ebacc24ad4d)

Edgar Schiferli (5 not out) and Ryan ten Doeschate (22 not out) scampered through for an over-throw for the second run needed off the last ball to give Dutch cricket its finest moment.

Tom de Grooth's 49 off 30 balls led the way for the Netherlands but it was a fine all-round display from the Associate nation to shock the hosts.

England's 162-5 had been underpinned by an outstanding knock of 71 off 49 balls by Luke Wright but it was not to be quite enough.

Alexei Kervezee (1) fell in the first over of the run-chase when he pulled James Anderson to Stuart Broad at mid-on.

Darron Reekers (20 off 13 balls) gave the Dutch a boost in the next over when he pulled Ryan Sidebottom for a huge six, much to the delight of those in the stands decked out in orange.

Reekers then repeated the trick off Anderson in the next over - this time flatter and over square leg.

The New Zealand-born batsman chanced his arm once too often in the next over, the first from Broad, when another pull shot lobbed up to Owais Shah, who took a comfortable catch at midwicket.

De Grooth brought up the 50 in emphatic style at the end of the sixth over when he thumped Broad into the pavilion for six.

The right-hander greeted Adil Rashid's second ball with a reverse-sweep to the boundary as the Dutch continued to threaten a major surprise.

Rashid struck an important blow in his next over when he spun a leg-break past the bat of the advancing Bas Zuiderent (12) and James Foster effected a neat stumping. The Dutch then picked up another 13 off the remainder of the over to show their setback was only temporary.

At the halfway point the batting side were two ahead of England at the same point, needing 72 off the last 10 overs.

Peter Borren (30 off 25 balls) brought the required rate down to close to a run-a-ball when he thumped Paul Collingwood over midwicket for his second six. The England skipper did claim a key wicket at the end of the over, however, when he removed de Grooth one short of his 50.

The fourth-wicket partnership totalled exactly 50 off 30 balls.

Next man ten Doeschate played a scintillating cut to the third man boundary off Rashid to help bring the equation down to 35 off the last 5 overs.

Borren should have been run out on 28 but a poor throw from Collingwood made life difficult for Foster, who failed to take the ball with the batsman well out of his crease. The right-hander did fall in the same over, however, when he top-edged a pull to Shah at short third-man.

Twenty one were needed off 18 balls but then Anderson bowled an excellent 18th over - during which he conceded just four runs and claimed the wicket of Daan van Bunge (8), caught by Wright on the cover boundary.

Rashid missed the chance to run out ten Doeschate in the penultimate over and he was made to rue the error when the batsman hit the next ball for four, via Wright's outstretched hands as he attempted a miraculous catch on the boundary.

Seven were then needed off the last over, bowled by Broad, and what proceeded deserves telling in full.

The fast bowler should have run out ten Doeschate off his first delivery when he missed from close range as the batting pair attempted a quick single.

History then repeated itself when Schiferli made a desperate dive for the crease as the bowler knocked down the stumps. Replays showed that Broad had dropped the ball and cleaned out the stumps with his hand.

A caught and bowled chance then went begging next ball off ten Doeschate as one run was taken. Yet another scrambled single was achieved from the next delivery and then ten Doeschate took one more to leave Schiferli needing two to win off the last ball, which was achieved in the most dramatic of fashions.

Wright and Ravi Bopara had earlier got the hosts off to flying start by racking up a century stand by the end of the 11th over.

Thereafter, however, wickets fell at regular intervals as the Dutch fought back strongly.

Persistent rain during the afternoon had necessitated the opening ceremony to be cancelled but no overs were lost from the match despite play starting 20 minutes later than the scheduled 5.30pm start.

England suffered a blow ahead of the match when star batsman Kevin Pietersen was ruled out by a recurrence of his Achilles problem.

Bopara got the tournament, and his side, off to a flyer by slicing the first ball from Dirk Nannes over Bas Zuiderent at backward point for four and then driving the other side of the fielder for another boundary two balls later.

England's 50 came up off 39 balls and the 100 came up 32 balls later when Wright slapped a full-toss from Borren to the long-on boundary.

Bopara (46 off 34 balls) fell in the next over when he pulled a ten Doeschate slower ball to wide midwicket and Pieter Seelaar nicely judged a steepling catch. It may not have been a wicket to the slow left-armer but it still enabled Seelaar to indulge his 'penguin' celebration.

Shah (5) followed soon after when he flicked to Kervezee at deep backward square leg off Schiferli.

Eoin Morgan (6) was the next to go when he reverse-swept Borren � off another slower ball - to Bas Zuiderent at short third-man.

Seelaar put down a very sharp return catch with Wright on 66 as the attempted late onslaught was led by the opener.

Wright finally went in the next over, however, when he holed out to Borren at midwicket off ten Doeschate.

England skipper Collingwood (11) was the last batsman to go when he chipped a full delivery from Seelaar down the throat of long-on.

That was not to be the end of the England skipper's despair.

Knaur Amarsh
06 Jun 09,, 03:46
Cricket-England hit for six by media after Dutch disaster
Sat Jun 6, 2009 1:35am BST

LONDON, June 6 (Reuters) - England's defeat by Netherlands in the opening game of the Twenty20 World Cup was branded "the ultimate humiliation" by British newspapers on Saturday.

England lost by four wickets against the 500-1 outsiders to the embarrassment of players and fans alike at Lord's on Friday with The Times praising "Dutch courage" for the shock win.

The Daily Express said: "England have had some embarrassing moments in World Cup cricket but none as embarrassing as this:)), coming on their most famous of grounds..."

"Clogs 1 Clots 0" was the headline in The Sun which said England bowler Stuart Broad, who missed with a throw at the stumps to hand the Dutch victory off the final ball, "was made to look a total lemon by the orange men of Holland..."
The Daily Star noted: "The rank outsiders gave Paul Collingwood's side a lesson with bat, ball and in the field. And the hosts could have absolutely no argument..."

The Times added: "Fluffing your lines against the likes of Australia or India is one thing, but England played like headless chickens:biggrin: in the closing two overs..."

The Telegraph's verdict was just as damning with the newspaper telling readers that England had lost to "a rag-tag assortment of Dutch cricketers made up of downhill skier, a debt collector and a 37-year-old advertising executive.:P
"It's lucky the Dutch didn't pick Burger King employee Mudassar Bukhari or England could have made even more of a dog's dinner of their World Twenty20 campaign."

England must beat Pakistan on Sunday to avoid a first-round exit, while the Netherlands will clinch a second-round spot if they produce another upset against Pakistan next Tuesday.

Cricket-England hit for six by media after Dutch disaster | Sports | Cricket | Reuters (http://uk.reuters.com/article/cricketNews/idUKL555231420090606)

pchatra
06 Jun 09,, 05:01
Certainly it is humiliating for English fans... But, with Flintoff and Pietersen out of the team with injuries, there isn't any big hitter in the English camp (except Ravi Bopara maybe)... none of the English batsmen were able to clear the boundary even once, and that too against weak and inexperienced bowling attack... Hope Pietersen returns for their next game against Pakistan.

Mercenary
06 Jun 09,, 12:32
Certainly it is humiliating for English fans... But, with Flintoff and Pietersen out of the team with injuries, there isn't any big hitter in the English camp (except Ravi Bopara maybe)... none of the English batsmen were able to clear the boundary even once, and that too against weak and inexperienced bowling attack... Hope Pietersen returns for their next game against Pakistan.

The hero is again poor STUARt BROAD..:)):))..he missed 3 run out chances ,a drop catch and the overthrow that won netherlands the match off the last ball - all in the same over...

this is the same bloke who was given the 36-treatment by Yuvraj... He shld probably take up some other sport after this...

Steezy
06 Jun 09,, 13:11
Yeah, Broad really isn't a T20 bowler, his antics with the last ball is probably worse than getting smacked around the park 6 times by Yuvraj

Still think we can beat Pakistan, Pietersen and Swann need to come into the squad, not having Flintoff also matters. Have to remember that certain key people were missing, but that's no excuse, how can professional cricketers lose to part timers (for the most part)

Then again T20 does level the playing field alot between teams of varying skill

tankie
06 Jun 09,, 13:33
Well I am getting late for work, but this is too bloody good to not post :biggrin::tongue:]

gloat while ya can matey :(:(:(:P

tankie
06 Jun 09,, 13:34
The hero is again poor STUARt BROAD..:)):))..he missed 3 run out chances ,a drop catch and the overthrow that won netherlands the match off the last ball - all in the same over...

this is the same bloke who was given the 36-treatment by Yuvraj... He shld probably take up some other sport after this...

Yea like heading the shot or catching the javelin :biggrin:

kuku
06 Jun 09,, 14:05
The english made the match very exciting to watch.

The Telegraph's verdict was just as damning with the newspaper telling readers that England had lost to "a rag-tag assortment of Dutch cricketers made up of downhill skier, a debt collector and a 37-year-old advertising executive.
"It's lucky the Dutch didn't pick Burger King employee Mudassar Bukhari or England could have made even more of a dog's dinner of their World Twenty20 campaign."

Ouch!!

Knaur Amarsh
06 Jun 09,, 18:33
Excellent batting by the Windie openers, defeat for Aus and the next match is with SL, man this ll be one exciting group to watch.

Mobbme
07 Jun 09,, 01:40
Here you go my fine gentlemen, compliments from Mobbme

LiveLeak.com - World's Fastest Bowler - injured many Players ! (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9b1_1243200402)

pchatra
07 Jun 09,, 04:38
India's Yuvraj blows Bangladesh away - inthenews.co.uk (http://www.inthenews.co.uk/sports/sport/cricket/india-s-yuvraj-blows-bangladesh-away-$1301965.htm)

Giant killers failed this time for good :) ... Nice batting display by Yuvraj... But a bit disappointed with Dhoni. There was no need for promoting himself to No.3 ahead of Yuvraj, Raina and Yusuf. I beleive this cost India atleast 20-25 runs. Ojha bowled well to restrict Bangladesh to 155.

Good win for India, but it could have been better.

Mercenary
07 Jun 09,, 12:54
India's Yuvraj blows Bangladesh away - inthenews.co.uk (http://www.inthenews.co.uk/sports/sport/cricket/india-s-yuvraj-blows-bangladesh-away-$1301965.htm)

Giant killers failed this time for good :) ... Nice batting display by Yuvraj... But a bit disappointed with Dhoni. There was no need for promoting himself to No.3 ahead of Yuvraj, Raina and Yusuf. I beleive this cost India atleast 20-25 runs. Ojha bowled well to restrict Bangladesh to 155.

Good win for India, but it could have been better.

Bangladesh reminds me of the indian team in the 90s - only 2 recognized batsmen in ashraful and iqbal..off to good starts...loose their way badly in the middle overs., and their bowling too...have the opposition at the doormat and then give it all away..

Currently India has reasons to worry..Sehwag is too good a batsman to leave out...and one wonders who would make way for him..I can only think of Irfan Pathan (Cannon fodder medium pace bowler..but a decent bat..Sehwag is definitely a better player than him overall)..india should experiment on that against Ireland..

Sumku
07 Jun 09,, 13:12
Sehwag is too good a batsman to leave out He has been left out only because he is not well, his was not a choice omission.

india should experiment on that against Ireland..Well, I disagree, since as to me this is no time to experiment. We need to go in with same composition that played against B'desh and in same batting order with Dhoni at number 3.

Vinod2070
07 Jun 09,, 15:33
Yeah, Broad really isn't a T20 bowler, his antics with the last ball is probably worse than getting smacked around the park 6 times by Yuvraj

Still think we can beat Pakistan, Pietersen and Swann need to come into the squad, not having Flintoff also matters. Have to remember that certain key people were missing, but that's no excuse, how can professional cricketers lose to part timers (for the most part)

Then again T20 does level the playing field alot between teams of varying skill

Is it true that the England team is not taking it seriously and are "focussing" on the Ashes, whatever that means and whatever good will come out of that?

Bigfella
07 Jun 09,, 15:56
Watched Australia vs WI last night. We got flogged. Still, could be a silver lining if it means Lee doesn't gets picked for the Ashes. He was woeful. It will also give some of the Aussies a bit of a hit out on English wickets. Most of ouor guys are coming back from a mandatory rest after the summer - they will improve.

Fortunately England has overshadowed our poor performance by losing to a non-test playing nation. This was made even better for me by the fact that I am a long time follower of the Netherlands in Football (until recently there was no point following Australia). I will be wearing my bright orange Dutch football scarf with pride this week.:biggrin:

Mercenary
07 Jun 09,, 17:03
He has been left out only because he is not well, his was not a choice omission.

Well, I disagree, since as to me this is no time to experiment. We need to go in with same composition that played against B'desh and in same batting order with Dhoni at number 3.

What happens when he is fit again..during the super-eight stage or further on.. we can avoid unnecessary tinkering by trying out a modified line-up against Ireland(if Sehwag is fit by then ofcourse..he's supposed to be down with a flu right ? )

Even if sehwag isn;t fit..Pathan should make way for Jadeja..a better bowler and batsman compared to pathan

kuku
08 Jun 09,, 04:49
England has made it to the next stage, and they have complicated things for Pakistan, we may see Pakistan knocked out of the tournament if they are unable to defeat the dutch by a huge margin.

Knaur Amarsh
08 Jun 09,, 06:49
Watched Australia vs WI last night. We got flogged. Still, could be a silver lining if it means Lee doesn't gets picked for the Ashes.

None of the Aussie bowlers did well really, same for the batsmen except for Warner who did well but was a tad too slow, I thought Gayle was specifically gunning for Lee too, well he was going after everyone of course but the way he got out, seemed like he just wanted to target Lee for fun :P

Lets see in the next match vs SL though, Lankans are good players of spin so maybe bit of an extra pace can make a difference, tough for the Aussies to have got stuck in the most competitive group, but then again, perhaps the same can be said for England :))

Knaur Amarsh
08 Jun 09,, 06:56
England has made it to the next stage, and they have complicated things for Pakistan, we may see Pakistan knocked out of the tournament if they are unable to defeat the dutch by a huge margin.

Heh well we'v got the best of both worlds, I'd like to see an Indo-Pak match in the tournament but no blues if Pak gets eliminiated at this stage either :biggrin:

Another interesting occurance can be if Ireland manage to defeat Bdesh in today's match, its a slim chance but its their best.

Mercenary
08 Jun 09,, 16:33
Heh well we'v got the best of both worlds, I'd like to see an Indo-Pak match in the tournament but no blues if Pak gets eliminiated at this stage either :biggrin:

Another interesting occurance can be if Ireland manage to defeat Bdesh in today's match, its a slim chance but its their best.

We've already seen an indo-pak match in the tournament and it was anything but 'just a warm-up'...both teams fielding their best XI

Ireland is well on their way to kicking bdesh out of the tourney...that would be awesome-both pak and bdesh out of the tournament in the first round

Mercenary
08 Jun 09,, 16:36
, seemed like he just wanted to target Lee for fun :P

He's the closest thing to Vivian Richards we will ever get a chance to see.. The reflexes and utter disdain for "Phaast " bowlers..

Knaur Amarsh
08 Jun 09,, 16:57
We've already seen an indo-pak match in the tournament and it was anything but 'just a warm-up'...both teams fielding their best XI

So?

Ireland is well on their way to kicking bdesh out of the tourney...that would be awesome-both pak and bdesh out of the tournament in the first round

77 and 3 down, am cheering for them :cool: Hope they win

Knaur Amarsh
08 Jun 09,, 17:25
Bloody awesome! Ireland did it :)) what a match, smart cricket from the Irish!

Knaur Amarsh
08 Jun 09,, 17:40
Both Netherlands and Ireland chased well, maybe Scots could have knocked out NZ if they were chasing, after all they made 89 in their 7 overs huh, well I hope the Netherlands win the toss against Pak, that'd be the dog's bollocks :cool:

pchatra
08 Jun 09,, 18:21
Now see what Pakistani captain Younis Khan is saying "Its not disaster for Pakistan if Pakistan fail to qualify for super-eight round because this Twenty20 cricket is all about fun, though its an international but its all a fun game." :eek: Sour grapes??? :biggrin:

Being captain of the team, I cant believe he can give such irresponsible statements, and then get away without any harsh reactions from PCB.

Younis Khan cited Twenty20 cricket a 'fun game' - Cricdb | an eye on cricket (http://www.cricdb.com/archive/international/news/detail.php?nid=1888)

Vinod2070
09 Jun 09,, 09:05
Well Younis Khan seems to be one uninterested captain. He makes more threats to quit captaincy or even playing cricket than trying to win on the field.

I have a feeling that both the Pakistani coach and the captain have a very short shelf life remaining now.

Bigfella
09 Jun 09,, 09:21
None of the Aussie bowlers did well really, same for the batsmen except for Warner who did well but was a tad too slow, I thought Gayle was specifically gunning for Lee too, well he was going after everyone of course but the way he got out, seemed like he just wanted to target Lee for fun :P

Lets see in the next match vs SL though, Lankans are good players of spin so maybe bit of an extra pace can make a difference, tough for the Aussies to have got stuck in the most competitive group, but then again, perhaps the same can be said for England :))

An especially tough group when you play like KRAP. Not happy, but I'll live. While I enjoy winning at hit & giggle of all lengths, the only cricket I genuinely care about is the 5 day kind. The real business begins at Cardiff in a few weeks.

Still, any tournament where England is beaten by my Dutch boys can't be all bad. The Irish in me is also chuffed to see the Emerald Isle doing well.

Bigfella
09 Jun 09,, 09:45
He's the closest thing to Vivian Richards we will ever get a chance to see.. The reflexes and utter disdain for "Phaast " bowlers..

What do you mean 'we' paleface?:biggrin:

Some of us here actually saw the great man in his pomp. I saw him score a century in a 1 day game on the MCG during the 1984-85 tour. This was back before they roped in boundaries & when 1 day centuries were very rare. He hit a couple of sixes & simply treated all bowlers with contempt.

I have seen some remarkable cricket teams since then. I saw every test Shane Warne played at the MCG, so I saw the recent Australian sides at their very best. I can't say I have ever seen or will ever see a team better than that, but I have never seen a SCARIER team than the West Indies of 84-85. This was the heart of the team that 'blackwashed' England 5-0 in series either side of their tour to Australia. They were just brutal.

Consider this. Greenidge & Haynes to open - pure class. Richard at three - I can recall not wanting to get that first wicket. Then came a young Ritchie Richardson showing all the class he would for over a decade. After that ame the 'cool cat' - Clive Lloyd. A man who learned at the feet of Sobers, Kallicharan, Kanhai & Rowe looking as smooth as a batsman ever did. At six the elegant Gomes or the hyperactive Logie. To follow perhaps the best keeper-batsman of his era, Jeffrey Dujon.

Then came what may have been the most terrifying bowling attack in history (though I will take bets on the early 80s attack with Roberts & Croft in it). First came 'whispering death' - Michael Holding. A keen pupil of the great Andy Roberts and no less a bowler. Then Malcom Marshall. Follow that with Joel 'Big Bird' Garner and finish off with a young fast bowler in his first overseas tour - Courtney Walsh. Wanna face that? Few batsmen did.

I was fortunate enough to have a father who gave me a love of cricket & backed it up by taking myself & my brothers to see a game whenever we could. Wonderful memories.

Knaur Amarsh
09 Jun 09,, 16:17
While I enjoy winning at hit & giggle of all lengths, the only cricket I genuinely care about is the 5 day kind. The real business begins at Cardiff in a few weeks.

Aha you'd say that now, wouldn't you :biggrin:

tankie
09 Jun 09,, 16:20
Beefy Botham was on the box last night talking about the coming war ,,oops i mean cricket match ,well he said it was always like war with the ozzies

Bigfella
09 Jun 09,, 23:14
Aha you'd say that now, wouldn't you :biggrin:

Been saying it for 20 years KA. I'd give back all of our World Cups (is it 4 or 5 now, don't remember) for a test series victory over Sth Africa this year, India last year or England 2005 (& plenty besides). Always like to see my boys win, but I know what matters, and hit & giggle ain't it.

Bigfella
09 Jun 09,, 23:15
Beefy Botham was on the box last night talking about the coming war ,,oops i mean cricket match ,well he said it was always like war with the ozzies

As well it should be. We relish playing Germany to your France.:))

tankie
09 Jun 09,, 23:48
As well it should be. We relish playing Germany to your France.:))

Ashes to ashes mate :biggrin:

Parihaka
10 Jun 09,, 00:10
Ah well, close against SA but we're through to the next round, unlike some:))

tankie
10 Jun 09,, 00:12
Ah well, close against SA but we're through to the next round, unlike some:))

Oh yea , and who would that be then :rolleyes::))

dave lukins
10 Jun 09,, 00:19
Ashes to ashes mate :biggrin:

I do believe we have the original at Lords (some others just have a copy);)

Parihaka
10 Jun 09,, 00:40
Oh yea , and who would that be then :rolleyes::))

There's a large sand dune off the west coast of New Zealand that I believe managed to scrape up a team

tankie
10 Jun 09,, 00:44
There's a large sand dune off the west coast of New Zealand that I believe managed to scrape up a team

They dont call it Devils Island do they , is Papillon living there :biggrin:

Bigfella
12 Jun 09,, 10:47

We occasionally let some of the peripheral nations win sporting contests. A few scraps from the table. Call us magnanimous.:biggrin:

Mercenary
12 Jun 09,, 18:17
Pakistan is on the verge of ending their stay in England... Srilanka showed them where they really belong !... it is such a great day :))

Mercenary
15 Jun 09,, 00:25
And india got dumped out of the WC before Pakistan :mad::mad:

Wth was Dhoni doing out in the middle..if he could only score a few boundaries in the end overs and pace i along with Pathan we would've won...Now, like Irfan Pathan forgot bowling..Dhoni has forgotten what made him famous in the first place.. pinch hitting !..

Hope Pak's match against Ireland gets washed out ..or better- Ireland win again: it isn't beyond them considering they gave lanka a good run for their money..

umairch
15 Jun 09,, 07:16
Oh come now, why so bitter?
I understand why you are not ''Singh-ing any more!''
Atleast be sporting in defeat. Atleast Lords was not subject to a bonfire unlike a few stadiums in the past or was that the ISI's doing?

Mercenary
15 Jun 09,, 15:08
Oh come now, why so bitter?
I understand why you are not ''Singh-ing any more!''

Or doing the bhangra..:biggrin:

hey we weren't setting the stadium alight..rather..we were paying homage to the fire god...:rolleyes:

umairch
18 Jun 09,, 21:53
Chokers sent packing again!

Mercenary
19 Jun 09,, 19:42
Chokers sent packing again!

South Africa should really end their tournaments at the semis and go straight home rather than indulge in the formality of playing

Bigfella
20 Jun 09,, 06:48
South Africa should really end their tournaments at the semis and go straight home rather than indulge in the formality of playing

Too true. There are worse things than an occasional first round exit.

Yusuf
20 Jun 09,, 10:53
Whats the pick for the final? SL or Pak?
On form, i should be SL. Unbeaten so far. All the players seem to be in good nick. Most of them had a good outing in the IPL.
But the Pakistanis can never be counted out even if they were not in the best of form. Such an unpredictable team. Can play its worst one day and absolutely brilliant the next.

Mercenary
22 Jun 09,, 06:14
Whats the pick for the final? SL or Pak?
On form, i should be SL. Unbeaten so far. All the players seem to be in good nick. Most of them had a good outing in the IPL.
But the Pakistanis can never be counted out even if they were not in the best of form. Such an unpredictable team. Can play its worst one day and absolutely brilliant the next.

worst fears have been realised.Pak wins:)).. All of a sudden Afridi plays like the most sensible batsman on earth :eek::frown:... heard that they tested him for dope right after the game :)):)):)) ..really !

Knaur Amarsh
22 Jun 09,, 13:12
I liked it, Afridi is one of my favourite batsmen to watch, and he didn't disappoint. As a cricket lover, am also happy for Pakistan, they've been having a hard time getting enough action and I hope this awesome victory will prove beneficial for Pak cricket.

YoungIndia
22 Jun 09,, 13:48
i differ on SA here.

the main reasons for their problems to me are the overrated allrounders and their batsmen.

Because of an allrounder,they may play a stock bowler rather than a matchwinning strike bowler. If you look at their bowling attack, they consisted of kallis,albie morkel,johan botha and van der merwe ,none of whom are matchwinners. they do a solid job.

Compare it to an attack of mcgrath,lee,gillespie,warne. All of them dangerous and strike bowlers.

but when you need matchwinners in the cauldron of a semi or final, there are not any. The sort of deliveries warne came up with to dismiss kirtsen and gibbs in the 99 thriller is precisely what they are missing.

Also since re admission, their batting is solid but nothing exceptional. with more recent players like ABD and duminy,they started to change that impression.but you don't still get the feeling they are anywhere as intimidating as hayden,gilchrist and co.

They are just not the favourites they are made out to be.

Bigfella
12 Jul 09,, 07:47
It looks like only rain can save England after two days of insipid cricket that has thrown away a good first innings total. Their much touted spinners looked like 2nd rate hacks & their pace bowlers seemed more interested in making excuses than taking wickets. If this is the best they can do then only weather will prevent another 5-0 clean sweep.

I was personally surprised at those pundits who rated England Australia's equal or even better before this series began. Australia beat what I consider the best team in the world (Sth Africa) 3-2 in a six test series at home & away. Most impressive was that Australia came back from a home series loss to beat Sth Africa on their own soil. Beating the current West Indies team is not exactly up to that standard. Fans may well get excited, but professional pundits should know better.

Putting the first test of the series at Cardiff was supposed to give England a solid chance at a 1-0 lead. Even if rain saves England it will go into the second test low on confidence & full of questions about the ability of its team. Worse, the second test is at Lords, where England has not beaten Australia since 1934 - even desperately poor Australian sides like the 1985 team managed a win there.

Perhaps England can find something. Perhaps it can eke out a draw here & regroup at Lords. If it does not then the series may be over before it begins. The 2005 series was 4 years ago and on long term form it was an aberration. The 5-0 drubbing of England in 2006-07 may prove a better guide to the fate of this series.

captain
12 Jul 09,, 09:38
Headlines read;

Four English crickters make centuries in the first test at Cardiff.

They are the bowling figures!:eek:

Nasty and cruel! :))

dave lukins
12 Jul 09,, 09:59
It looks like only rain can save England after two days of insipid cricket that has thrown away a good first innings total. Their much touted spinners looked like 2nd rate hacks & their pace bowlers seemed more interested in making excuses than taking wickets.

Nothing changed there then. We have a unique knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. My wife could bowl better than some of these so called stars.:frown::) I have to agree with you on the excuses remark...we are defiantly World Champs at that

Mohan
12 Jul 09,, 10:12
We have a unique knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

lol I had stomach ache after i read the above statement.:biggrin::P

captain
12 Jul 09,, 10:47
Nothing changed there then. We have a unique knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. My wife could bowl better than some of these so called stars.:frown::) I have to agree with you on the excuses remark...we are defiantly World Champs at that

Nor would it help much when on the eve of the Ashes one of the Brit writers publishes this in the Telegraph.

Tounge in cheek I know but not exactly the best moral booster and if he is a coach,,,,sack him,,,,errr, unless of course we are paying him in which case,thats different.:P

The Aussies: Down Under, but right on top
With the Ashes starting next week, Richard Beard looks for the secret of Australia's ruthless sporting superiority

By Richard Beard
Published: 8:00PM BST 03 Jul 2009

Third Test, 2006. Austrlalia pose with a replica Ashes Photo: GETTY IMAGES
When England beat the Australians in 2005, the celebration was a deranged combination of New Year's Eve, Summer Holiday and an official state reception. Cakes and ale and bread and circuses. That's how much it means.

Alas, such garish outbursts of joy reflect the unlikeliness of an England win. An Ashes series looms once again, spreading the chill shadow of Australia's recent dominance. Forget their early exit from the Twenty20 World Cup – Test matches are what Australian cricketers do best. Can you feel it? Here it comes, that familiar dark-green aura: unflappable, relentless, invincible. They're coming to get us.

An English sense of sporting inferiority is nothing new. As long ago as 1905 the Daily Mail was wondering whether "the colonial is born and bred on a higher mental and physical scale nowadays as compared with that at home?" By any standard 1905 counts as early doors, but were Australians already inherently better at sport?

It would seem that they were, and still are. At the last Olympics there was solid satisfaction to be had at finishing above Australia in the medals table for the first time in 20 years. There is, of course, a but. There were no medals on offer for cricket or rugby league. Also, the countries closest to Australia in population are Syria and Mozambique, who managed a combined Beijing medal haul of zero.

So what makes the Australians so good? It's a simple question, and in the darkest days before the 2005 miracle even the more thoughtful cricket correspondents slumped with despair: "Strength of character holds the key to Australia's dominance," wrote Christopher Martin-Jenkins in The Times.

To me, this felt like a personal slight. It was as if the temperament of every Englishman was made suspect by a dodgy cricket team. I didn't want my character represented to Australians by teams of under-achieving and apparently weak-willed compatriots, so before the last home series in 2005 I took the battle to Australia.

I set out to infiltrate the sporting sub-structure of one Australian community. What was so indomitable about its sporting psyche? What kind of men were these? Conveniently, there was a sign-posted destination for just this information: the Sydney suburb of Manly.

Sport in Manly, Australia is immediately visible. Off the ferry, into the coastal sunshine and on to the Pathway of Olympians. This is a harbour-side walkway with a pavement-level brass plaque for each of Manly's 100 Olympic competitors. That's 100 Olympians who originated from this small Sydney suburb, a proud local heritage extending from "Stan Rowley, 1900 Paris, Athletics" to "Leonie Nichols, 2004 Athens, Synchronised Swimming".

I came across a range of sporting venues unmatched by many medium-sized English towns. I visited the Manly Oval (home to top-grade cricket and rugby union), three lawn-bowling greens, tennis courts ("open seven days a week, day and night'), the Group One Manly Golf Club (course record: J Nicklaus) and finally the golden stretch of Manly beach, home to the first ever World Surfing Championship and birthplace of Olympic beach volleyball.

This means that, all year round, whatever else is happening, Australians are playing sport in Manly. Often against a selection of sacrificial Englishmen. On the day I arrived the lambs were the under-16 rugby team from King's School, Worcester. It was the first match of their tour and they had their excuses ready, assuming that their Australian schoolboy opponents, as if by divine right, would be stronger, fitter and more determined. But why? I questioned the English will to win.

"We want to win a lot," insisted the 16-year-old Worcester captain. But then he added, "Our really quick player broke his leg."

The Manly boys ran out convincing winners, another generation effortlessly asserting its sporting superiority. I was outraged. As they say in politics, usually to little end: Something Must Be Done.

I therefore spent the next six weeks in an intense personal battle with Manly Australian lawn-bowlers, small-bore rifle shooters, golfers, swimmers and surfers, runners, and dead-eyed quiz fanatics. With little regard for my personal safety, I pitted myself against Manly Australians below the top level, at my level, and this is what I learnt.

The Australians are at ease with major sporting events because they've perfected the minor sporting events that make communities proud. From Sunday-morning swimming races to pub fun runs, there's a cheerful efficiency that respects the importance of taking part, but never forgets the sustaining ritual of recording the result.

"Otherwise, why get out of bed?" a golfer asks me, out of bed and ready to take on the Manly golf course after his second, easily defeated heart attack. "If you don't care who wins, why bother scoring?"

And even down at my level, Australians unfailingly keep the score because they care who wins. Within a week of starting to learn to swim, I was invited to race. At Manly Rifle Club, a training night was enlivened by an Open Postal Shoot. On a Tuesday evening, when rival shooters can't always meet at the range, they will take on other competitors by post. The targets are sent in the next day and the results collated and published. Competing is more than a habit, it's a compulsion.

This compulsion keeps Manly sportsmen going for a lifetime. I ended up playing against many Australians older than me, and I was interested to know whether any of these former contenders felt they became more or less competitive with age. None of them understood the question. I couldn't find a single Australian sportsman, no matter what age, prepared to admit he was old.

This positive outlook is pervasive in Manly, and Australians are unashamed to be confident – they back themselves, as their very own saying goes. The English sense of perspective takes in the view of failure, no bad thing in most areas of life, but in sport the one-eyed Australian is king. And it isn't just the English who recognise this. In Manly I found a New Zealander who was ready to concede that Australia produces the finest sports-people in the world.

"But how can we know that?" I protested.

"Just ask them."

I spent the Ashes summer of 2005 doing just that. I found the most eloquent answer time and again on Australian faces, in a particular look that settles as soon as someone starts taking score, recording the result. This look will be very much in evidence in Cardiff when the Ashes series starts on Wednesday, because it's a facial expression as Australian as the Chappell brothers or Ricky Ponting at his meanest.

Most sports followers will be able to picture the narrowed eyes, the creased skin, the thinned lips. Military veterans have the thousand-yard stare, but Australian sportsmen are more focused, the stare both endless and beamed in unblinking at 22 yards. All Australian sportsmen have it, learn it, or grow it. It's an expression chiselled by years in the sunshine, a squinting single-mindedness, a tunnel vision that excludes the peripheral flicker of doubt and self-destruction. Think you can beat me? Think again.

In Manly I saw this look behind a rifle sight, on the golf course, at the pool, on the bowling green, and in the final-round showdown of a quiz that hinged on the name of Shakespeare's son. Make the look waver, as it did four years ago in England, and then an Australian sportsman may falter.

Unfortunately, deflecting the look isn't so easy. That distinctive Australian stare shows how important winning can be, which is one of the reasons Australians so often win. After 2005's Trafalgar Square jamboree, we can't pretend winning isn't also important to us. From experience, playing for the bit of England represented exclusively by myself, I know that we have an equally undaunted will to succeed – and I can swear we try every inch as hard.

But sometimes, as I found out in Manly, that isn't always enough. If strength of character was all that mattered, and not climate or funding or coaching or the protection of public space or opportunity or talent identification or immigration or history, then we too could grow a hundred Olympians per suburb. And also be confident of winning back the Ashes. But at the risk of contradicting an expert, it's not only character that counts.

Source; The Aussies: Down Under, but right on top - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/5735882/The-Aussies-Down-Under-but-right-on-top.html)

Cheers.

dave lukins
12 Jul 09,, 11:17
I think the Aussie does have an inherent will to win. It is, or should be the only way. Why play a sport if you don't want to win? What dolt came up with "It's not the winning but the taking part" claptrap. When I played I went out to win.

captain
12 Jul 09,, 13:31
I think the Aussie does have an inherent will to win. It is, or should be the only way. Why play a sport if you don't want to win? What dolt came up with "It's not the winning but the taking part" claptrap.

There is something about our culture and climate that has made sport of all codes our national pass time.

The story from the Telegraph is about an inner city suburb but venture out of the cities and into regional/rural towns on any weekend and you will find the only people left indoors are the mortuary residents.

We don't always make the best of sport watchers and tend to want to advise umpires/referees/players etc, where they are going wrong therefore the will to keep playing anything you can into your doderage is strong.

I still have my Squash kit packed and my new Adidas midcut (with the screw in spriggs) football boots handy in the cupboard in case I get a rush of blood or some back blocks team has half the side down with injury and is desperate enough to consider an old fart.

The mind is always willing to have a go and teach these young whipper schnappers what a mean and hard backman is all about but the bod might think catching the little barstiches may involve a myocardial infaaarrrrc..tion on my part causing me to be left home in the mortuary.

I'll put the boots back in the closet,,grump, grump.:(

When I played I went out to win.

Me too!

Cheers.

Bigfella
12 Jul 09,, 14:45
As someone without a sporting bone in his body I am fascinated by Australia's sporting culture. I think it has two elements that are equally necessary for success - encouragement of participation AND a strong desire to win.

Participation is vital - without mass participation, especially by children, you don't find but a fraction of the sporting talent available. This is where a 'win at all costs' culture can actually be counterproductive. Children like to win and they like to have fun. A culture that only rewards the win & doesn't let others have fun instantly shrinks the number of kids who want to play. If kids want to play then parents get involved in helping to run things - making it easier for yet more kids to become involved. I know more than a few men whose Saturday morning is spent taking their children to play sport, and whose saturday afternoon is spent playing sport themselves.

This is also where all the sporting facilities mentioned in the article really matter. If you don't have somewhere to play sport then enthusiasm will only get you so far. I grew up in rural Australia. There, even a town of a few thousand people would have a 50 metre long public pool & cricket, football, rugby, hockey & lawn bowls facilities. Often more than one.

The other part of the recipie is wanting to win. It is there even with kids. My 3 nieces are involved in competitive swimming & gymnastics. A kids swimming meet (and they are regular) is quite the thing to see. Literally hundreds of kids from different clubs swimming competitively. The youngest were probably 7 or 8. They were competing against each other & also their own times. The winners were rewarded, the losers encouraged. At gymnastics there are competitions, but there are also days just to show your friends & family wehat you have learned. For the talented & determined there are advanced classes. At the age of 8 my neice was offered a spot in an advanced gymnastics class. She had to sign a contract that committed her to training something like 15-20 hours per week, getting permission for holidays etc. She entered it willingly & has stuck to it.

I was involved for over a decade with a suburban cricket club. Lacking the skill or fitness to play, I was instead made treasurer. Go to any park in Australia on a summer saturday & you will meet guys like the ones I was teammates with. Love to play the game, but love a win even more. We had one player who was originally English (migrated almost 40 years ago). He was consisdered something of a 'gentleman' and disagreed with tactics like sledging & the like. He still liked to win. When he spent a year back in England he played cricjket there & found that the exact same attitude made him 'hyper-competitive' to the point where some teammates complained. To me that encapsulated a key difference between the two nations sporting cultures.

Australia's success at elite level is indeed built on very big, broad foundations.

Bigfella
13 Jul 09,, 09:26
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

How the hell did we let England get a draw?????? The rain on day 4 didn't help - at 2-18 England was about to fall apart. One England batsman & some tail enders showed application with the bat that they lacked with the ball. This is where we pay the price for lacking a truly threatening spinner and a naturally gifted captain. Warne, MacGill & probably Tim May or even Jason Kreja would have threatened the tail more. Hauritz wildly exceeded my expectations in this test & I owe him an apology, but he is still lacking firepower. Ponting tries hard as captain, but he lacks the ability of his 3 predecessors. Games are allowed to drift, and the choice to go with a part time spinner at the end in order to maximize the overs was self-defeating. He had 3 pace bowlers capable of blasting out a tail ender, one or more should have been used.

There isn't much good news for England here. Australia brought a team with only 3 players who have played a test in England before. The bowlers, in particular Johnson, will improve. We also have Stuart Clark & Brett Lee to take a fourth quick's spot. The batting speaks for itself, Hughes will yet make runs, though Hussey is in dire form & may need to be dropped.

I'm pretty sure only one England batsmen made more runs in two innings than Michael Clark made in one, and he didn't even get a century. Collingwood is a fighter, but he isn't going to win England a series, or perhaps even a test. Prior looked handy & Flintoff potentially dangerous, but they need tired bowlers & a ball minus shine & bounce to be at their best. If Strauss & Petersen don't make big runs every time they bat then England will struggle. The bowling ranged from mediocre to pitiful. The very occasional threatening spell from Flintoff or Anderson was swamped by their lesser efforts & those of teammates. England has bought itself a life at Cardiff, but will have to do MUCH better at Lords to have a chance in this series.

This article sums up the England team nicely:

This may have been the most heavily reported Test match in history. The British newspapers, which have mostly scaled down their cricket coverage, veered the other way when the magic word Ashes came along. Last weekend you couldn't move for preview supplements, and once the match began, some papers were running not two sidebars a day, not four, but six. Even a cricket-loving newspaper junkie was struggling to keep up. The sports editors were rewarded with a thrilling and very British finish as a packed house greeted every dogged defensive shot like a six. And yet still, among all the thousands of well-chosen words that poured out, some things went unsaid. There was an elephant in the media centre. It was this: England picked the wrong team.

The selectors, once all-purpose whipping boys, tend to get an easy ride these days. Fans and pundits tend to agree that there are no alternatives to the regular batsmen, apart from Ian Bell. It's acknowledged that there is competition for bowling slots, but the selectors' choice of five for this match still went widely unquestioned. So let's look at what they did.

They dropped Tim Bresnan for Andrew Flintoff - no arguing with that; when a star is fit again, the understudy returns to the wings. But England also dropped Graham Onions for Monty Panesar. This meant sacrificing a bowler in top form for one having a mid-career crisis. The decision didn't just fly in the face of common sense: it ignored the modern truth that turning pitches often help the wily seamer too. On form, Onions should have been in the first three bowlers picked for Cardiff, with Jimmy Anderson and Graeme Swann.

It used to be assumed that if England played badly, heads would roll. That led to far too much chopping and changing, and the policy was rightly torn up. But during the David Graveney era, the selectors swung too far the other way. Even Graveney himself went on too long, keeping the chairmanship for nearly 11 years. Geoff Miller has maintained Graveney's conservatism, most strikingly when he handed central contracts to Michael Vaughan and Steve Harmison last autumn. England show ruthlessness very occasionally, as when Vaughan dropped Harmison and Matthew Hoggard for Anderson and Stuart Broad in New Zealand. But mostly they stick rather than twist. And the worse they play, the less likely they are to make changes. On Saturday, when England were rubbish, the ex-pros formed a chorus to say "Don't panic".

Nobody was suggesting panicking. Just taking a long cool look at whether this was really the best XI. Let's consider the bowlers first, as they win matches. England went for quantity and solidity rather than quality and incisiveness. Three of their five choices were essentially defensive - Flintoff, Broad and Panesar. In 41 appearances between them since October 2005, Flintoff and Broad have only one five-for. Both can summon a cutting edge when they have to, but they seldom sustain it for a whole innings. Broad is, as yet, a fourth seamer who has accidentally found himself taking the new ball. Panesar has no shortage of five-fors - eight in 39 Tests - but he needs a bouncy surface to impose himself, which is why he has flourished at Old Trafford and Perth and struggled in the subcontinent. On this curry of a pitch, even Paul Collingwood was a better bet as a bowler than Monty.

It's not how many bowlers you pick: it's how many attacking bowlers. England's quintet looked anodyne before the match began, although not even a sceptic could have foreseen how toothless they would turn out to be. As it was, they batted better than they bowled. In fact they batted better than most of the batsmen; over the two innings, the last five wickets produced more runs than the first five - 194 + 182, easily beating 245 + 70.

The idea that Bell is the only alternative to the batting also needs scrutinising. If there is nobody else, it's because Vaughan has retired, Rob Key is out of form, and the selectors have shown blind loyalty to one or two others. They have lavished 44 Test caps on Alastair Cook, who seldom turns a match. Shane Warne said Monty hadn't played 33 Tests, he had played the same Test 33 times, which was harsh but fair. You could say the same about Cook, who started brightly but has never gone up a gear. Simon Katich, who is no more talented, now reels off match-winning hundreds. Cook has made a hundred in an England win just three times, two of them against West Indies, one against a weakened Pakistan.

When you don't have a born No. 3, a Ponting or a Dravid, the classic plan B is to pick a third opener, a David Boon or a Mark Butcher. England don't have a third opener in sight. Why? Because they have picked Cook so often. England's five specialist batsmen have the same problem as their five bowlers: most of them can't take a match by the scruff of the neck.

Kevin Pietersen can, obviously, when not going through with a crazy shot like a bore in the bar who insists on finishing his point. Ravi Bopara has the personality, but it would be asking a lot for him to do it against Australia at this stage (when Ponting was his age, he was down at No. 6). Strauss, Cook and Collingwood - heroic though he was yesterday - strike fear into nobody. Like Flintoff, Broad and Panesar, they shouldn't all be in the same team. If England beat Australia with this line-up, they will be defying gravity.

Tim de Lisle is the editor of Intelligent Life magazine and a former editor of Wisden

devgupt
13 Jul 09,, 14:26
Since the arrival of the Australian team to England, one question has resonated throughout the land: can the 2009 Ashes series match the drama and intrigue of four years ago? Five days into cricket's oldest and most fabled contest, it seems we have our answer. Yes. Emphatically, yes.

The image of Anderson turning to the pavilion, all smiles and fist pumps, will live long in the memory of those who witnessed it.

Read it in Cricinfo.
The whole article England escape; the Ashes are ablaze | Cricket Features | The Ashes - England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com (http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/content/current/story/413956.html)

A test match is like the journey of life. You have good times and bad times. And bad phase scasts a long shadow over it. But life does give you a second chance.With grit and application you can overcome all obstacles and suceed.

Ashes are definitely the greatest advertisments of test cricket, and this series promises to be another such example.

YoungIndia
14 Jul 09,, 13:57
I was personally surprised at those pundits who rated England Australia's equal or even better before this series began. Australia beat what I consider the best team in the world (Sth Africa) 3-2 in a six test series at home & away.

Both the current australian and the SA sides are fallible and cannot be compared to the undisputed top sides of the past ,Lloyd's WI and australia from 1996 to early 2009.

they are strong but very much beatable.

australia does produce world class cricketers consistently but rebuilding a team takes time.

Most impressive was that Australia came back from a home series loss to beat Sth Africa on their own soil.[\QUOTE]

Similar conditions and style of play. The achilles heel of australia is really the subcontinent.

Australia have never lost in SA since their readmission and have been very impressive in SA often as much at home .

The gap was never that big in the first place. SA's batting was fallible all the time.but australia missed its senior bowlers Lee and clark in peak form.

Duminy and steyn made the difference with that partnership. but it was pretty close.

[quote] Beating the current West Indies team is not exactly up to that standard.

west indies are two class batsmen and two class bowlers short from becoming a world class side again,though the depth is poor.

i was very impressed with newcomer darren bravo and also rampaul who came back.

however england is short of some key players itself after losing vaughan,trescothick and jones.

That will make it really hard for them even against a (relatively) weaker australian side.

YoungIndia
14 Jul 09,, 14:11
As someone without a sporting bone in his body I am fascinated by Australia's sporting culture. I think it has two elements that are equally necessary for success - encouragement of participation AND a strong desire to win.

talent identification and nurturing programs/system is the heart of any sporting system.

From what i gathered , australia had a poor performance at the 1976 olympics and embarked on a project to arrest that decline by building a sporting system that will make optimal use of australia's talent pool.Since then,they have done well considering australia's population.

Infact britain had a better performance at the last olympics by building a better system in the last decade.

Knaur Amarsh
14 Jul 09,, 16:06
Colombo: Sri Lanka clinched their first home series against Pakistan after the temperamental tourists suffered a spectacular collapse in the second Test here today.

Pakistan, sitting pretty at 285-1 just before lunch on the third day, crashed to 320 all out after the break to leave Sri Lanka a victory target of 171 for a decisive 2-0 lead in the three-match series.

Sri Lanka cruised home by seven wickets with two days to spare, skipper Kumar Sangakkara leading the way with a fluent 46 after opener Malinda Warnapura made 54.

Of the previous five series between the two nations on Sri Lankan soil, Pakistan had won three and drawn two, but the tourists had only themselves to blame for allowing the hosts to re-write history.

Pakistan's meek surrender against the second new ball came after debutant opener Fawad Alam hit a superb 168 and shared a record stand of 200 for the second wicket with skipper Younus Khan (82).

The partnership was Pakistan's highest for the second wicket against Sri Lanka, surpassing the 151 by Mohsin Khan and Majid Khan at Lahore in 1982.

The 23-year-old Alam batted for more than six hours to amass the highest score by a Pakistani batsman on Sri Lankan soil, surpassing the 151 by Salim Malik at the Sinhalese Sports Club in Colombo in 1997.

But Pakistan lost their last nine wickets for 35 runs, their third successive collapse in the series that highlighted their reputation as one of the most unpredictable sides in modern cricket.

Pakistan had seen eight wickets fall for 46 runs on the fourth morning of the Galle Test when just 97 more were needed to win the match.

The tourists then crumbled for a paltry 90 in 36 overs on the first day of this Test after electing to bat on a wicket that provided assistance to the seam bowlers.

Sri Lanka did not feel the absence of star spinner Muttiah Muralitharan, out of action with a knee injury, as left-arm slow bowler Rangana Herath claimed 5-99 and seamer Nuwan Kulasekera took 4-37.

Skipper Younus himself triggered the collapse just before lunch when he gifted his wicket, top-edging an ambitious reverse sweep off part-time spinner Paranavitana to the wicket-keeper.

Sangakkara's gamble to hand the new ball to spinner Herath, man of the match at Galle, paid off handsomely.

Herath trapped veteran Mohammad Yousuf leg-before with his second delivery as the batsman missed the line of a straight ball after making six.

Kulasekera had Misbah-ul Haq leg-before for three before Herath ended Alam's long vigil at the crease by having him edging an easy catch to Warnapura at short-leg.

Kulasekera caught Kamran Akmal plumb in front of the wicket and Herath bowled Shoaib Malik after the former Pakistan captain had smashed the previous delivery for a six.

The last three batsmen were leg-before in quick succession.

The dramatic collapse undid Pakistan's remarkable fightback in the match after they had fallen for 90 on the first day.

The bowlers, led by Umar Gul and Saeed Ajmal, had hit back to dismiss Sri Lanka for 240 before Alam and Younus made light of a first innings deficit of 150 runs.

The third and final Test starts at the Sinhalese sports club on July 20.

Source: PTI

Knaur Amarsh
14 Jul 09,, 16:07
Kingstown: Mahmudullah completed a memorable debut Test, when he cruelly exposed West Indies' frailty to spin, and bowled Bangladesh to a historic 95-run victory in the opening Test here on Monday.

Mahmadullah has West Indies in a spin on debut test - Cricket - Cricket and Sports - MSN India (http://sports.in.msn.com/cricket/stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3072525)

Bigfella
15 Jul 09,, 11:42
Both the current australian and the SA sides are fallible and cannot be compared to the undisputed top sides of the past ,Lloyd's WI and australia from 1996 to early 2009.

they are strong but very much beatable.

Agreed, but I wasn't making that comparison. On balance I think the two teams are quite close in skill. At the time of that series I think they were better than us, just.

australia does produce world class cricketers consistently but rebuilding a team takes time.

Agreed again. I think that M.Clark, Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus & perhaps Hughes will form the core of the next great Australian team. Newer players such as Haddin & North will help to keep us competitive until we get there.

[QUOTE] Most impressive was that Australia came back from a home series loss to beat Sth Africa on their own soil.[\QUOTE]

Similar conditions and style of play. The achilles heel of australia is really the subcontinent.

Australia have never lost in SA since their readmission and have been very impressive in SA often as much at home .

True, but beating a good team at home - especially one on a winning streak - is still the toughest job in cricket. It is the standard by which teams are ultimately measured. For example, no one much cares that India wins at home so frequently as long as it cannot win consistently away from home.

The gap was never that big in the first place. SA's batting was fallible all the time.but australia missed its senior bowlers Lee and clark in peak form.

Duminy and steyn made the difference with that partnership. but it was pretty close.

True, but beating Australia at home is still one of the hardest jobs in world cricket. They did it & looked good doing it.

west indies are two class batsmen and two class bowlers short from becoming a world class side again,though the depth is poor.

i was very impressed with newcomer darren bravo and also rampaul who came back.

Given what just happened in Kingston I'd suggest that they are probably a bit shorter on class than that. Lets be honest, take two good batsmen & two good bowlers out of most teams & they are at best middling first class sides (England played a bowler last year who is barely in the top ten in my home state of Victoria). Worse, the Windies seem to lack spirit.

however england is short of some key players itself after losing vaughan,trescothick and jones.

That will make it really hard for them even against a (relatively) weaker australian side

The phrase 'England is short of some key players' could have been used at a lot of points over the past 20 years (actually, longer). That is OK, what surprised me was how few English pundits seemed to understand that. The hype over this team wildly exceeded its abilities. It might yet catch Australia out - have a couple of good days when we have some bad ones - but it will be very hard.

Bigfella
15 Jul 09,, 11:56
talent identification and nurturing programs/system is the heart of any sporting system.

From what i gathered , australia had a poor performance at the 1976 olympics and embarked on a project to arrest that decline by building a sporting system that will make optimal use of australia's talent pool.Since then,they have done well considering australia's population.

Infact britain had a better performance at the last olympics by building a better system in the last decade.

Correct on all counts, but it goes a bit deeper. First, look at the breadth of Australia's sporting success. We do well in a remarkable range of Olympic sports & sports that are at the olympics, but are big outside it (tennis, cycling). We have champions in motor sports, a successful soccer team & more besides.

My point here is not big-noting, but context. It is worth remembering that two of the three biggest sports in Australia - the ones that draw in the largest number of elite athletes - are Australian Rules Football & Rugby League. Both are sports with little or no meaningful international profile & only one has any useful relationship to a sport that does (Rugby League to Union).

It is also worth remembering that we only have a population of 20 million people. Obviously our affluence is a huge help, but compared to similarly affluent nations we do remarkably well (Britain's fine Olympic achievement still comes on the back of a population three times ours). Indeed, in measures of Olympic medals per head of population only a few tiny Carribean nations with amazing sprinters (usually US trained) regularly beat us.

I think this is where breadth of participation is vital. We need to have large numbers of children playing multiple sports in order to have the young talent to identify & hone in elite institutes. We also need to continue that passion in adults & children who will never play elite sport. I think this is the foundation of our success, though not the only reason.

Knaur Amarsh
17 Jul 09,, 08:31
Mumbai: The cash-rich Indian Premier League T20 competition may have taken centrestage as the country's most followed domestic competition but the age-old Ranji Trophy championship has its reasons to smile in the 2009-10 season.

The national cricket championship, established in pre-Independence days, is moving into its Platinum Jubilee year and the Cricket Board has planned to celebrate it at the beginning of the season, BCCI sources said on Thursday.

"Nothing concrete has been planned but it's going to be celebrated at the start of the season. Things would be finalised over the next few months," the sources indicated.

The first match in the Ranji Trophy was held between the then Madras (now Tamil Nadu) and Mysore (now Karnataka) on November 4, 1934 and resulted in the former completing victory by an innings in a single day at the Chepauk in Chennai, a remarkable piece of statistics especially in these days of instant cricket.

Well-known all rounder AG Ram Singh, whose sons Kripal Singh and Mikha Singh played Tests for India, and CP Johnstone bundled out Mysore for 48 after Madras inserted the opposition in.

Madras replied with 130, with MG Vijayasarathi, who later became a Test umpire, grabbing six wickets.

But then Mysore toppled over for another paltry score of 59 in the second innings, MJ Gopalan (3) and Ram Singh (5) sharing the spoils, to give the hosts victory by an innings and 23 runs on the first day itself of the scheduled three-day tie.

Later, Bombay (now Mumbai) commenced the domination of Indian cricket by clinching the title in the very first season of the tournament by defeating Northern India (now split into various units) by 208 runs at home in the final.

Bombay made 266 and 300 while dismissing their rivals for 219 and 139, with HJ Vajifdar grabbing eight for 40.

A total of 16 teams took part in the first season, including Central India, Northern India, Central Provinces and Berar, United Provinces, Sind, Western India and Southern Punjab - all of them defunct now.

© Copyright 2009 PTI. All rights reserved.

devgupt
20 Jul 09,, 14:23
Congrats to English team for winning after 75 years a Lord Ashes test and taking a 1-0 lead in Ashes 2009.
And for Flintoff well -here is one quote from cricinfo which best describes him " Flintoff, the victor, did not so much celebrate the dismissal as assume Nelson's Trafalgar Square pose. A candidate, if ever there was one, for the fourth plinth.
"

Bigfella
07 Aug 09,, 14:56
I wanted to get this in before the 4th test is decided (England is 6-77 on day one, so Australia has hope).

Congratulations England on two fine tests. Australia was comprehensively outplayed at Lords & was the lesser team at Edgbaston. If not for rain the series might now be 2-1 rather than 1-0. Strauss, Collingwood, Prior & Flintoff have impressed with the bat, Anderson & Swann with the ball. England took advantage when Australia faltered & played well enough to stop us playing our best at crucial times. England also managed to cover the loss of Pietersen, though I don't see Bell as a test batsman (should have been out twice before he got his 50). I think they will actually miss Flintoff more, if only for his spirit.

Australia is just plain erratic. Only Hilfenhaus and (surprisingly) Hauritz have bowled with any consistency. Siddle has tried with limited success. Johnson improved at Edgbaston, but is still spraying it. Our batting has been all over the shop. I thought dropping Hughes was a mistake, but Watson batted well (it says something tragic for England that he is already a better opener than Cook). Everyone has made runs, but rarely at the same time. We missed Haddin, though Hussey is looking a bit better.

There are signs that Australia can still square the series, but we will have to find our consistency. Watching day 1 at Headingly it is obvious that Stuart Clark should have played in the last test. A series win is too much to hope for, but at least we look a bit more like a bloody cricket team with Stu bowling.

Bigfella
07 Aug 09,, 15:28
I wanted this to be a separate post from congratulating England because I don't want to link the two. England has won so far because it is the better team. End of.

Before I start, a few clarifications. I always accept the ruling of the umpire, even when it is wrong. Sometimes umpiring goes with you, sometimes against. Such is sport. I have no trouble with vigorous appeals & 'sledging', provided the comments are not racially abusive or overly personal (Australia has crossed that line at times, to my shame). This is an elite sporting contest, not a schoolgirl's picnic.

One of the issues in cricket that has irked me over the past few years is a growing double standard when it comes to behaviour. For over a decade Australia has been the subject of a campaign of whining & harrassment on behaviour from a significant portion of the Test playing world, but especially from the Subcontinent & Sth Africa. We have been attacked for 'sledging', accused of bad sportsmanship, cheating & unfairly influencing umpires to make the wrong decision. In the meantime teams from the subcontinent have changed the rules of cricket to allow what was once 'chucking', made it clear that they reserve the right to chose who will umpire their games & threatened to boycott matches if they don't get their way. A former Sth African captain put a cricket stump through the door of the 3rd umpire's room over a decision he disliked (he wasn't punished). Umpires have been accused of racism & cheating & hounded out of the game.

This brings me to the current series. The standard of umpiring has been lacking, and many of the decisions have gone against Australia. The worst examples were in the second test: they included the absurdity of two identical catching disputes being handled differently - and both to Australia's detriment; and at least one decision where an Australain batsman was given out in contravention to the laws of the game. There have also been a string of borderline decisions which would be taken as 'cheating' if they had gone for Australia, rather than against. When something similar happened in Australia recently India threatened to quit the tour unless the umpire was replaced. In Australia's case he umpire in the next. That is the way it should be, yet had Australia imitated some of its adversaries the tour would have been in crisis.

During this series England has been by far the worst offender in terms of 'sledging', over appealing & 'gamesmanship'. As stated, I have no issue with this, and apart from some time wasting at Cardiff it has recieved minimal attention. Again, this is as it should be, yet when Australia is the offender that is not how it is. Australia & England are playing this series as a spirited elite sporting contest - as two teams of grownups. No shrieking hysterics or absurd double standards.

It is my personal opinion that most of the motivation for the double standard toward Australia is that mediocre nations envy successful ones & losers who can't win consistently on the field will find any excuse rather than the obvious to explain their failings. We play hard & know we are the best. It is no doubt difficult to deal with for those who do not or are not. There are also issues of racism & money-bloated feelings of self-importance involved. This has led to a separate set of standards for Australia. I imagine this will continue at least until we lose our no.1 ranking, and probably for a while beyond.

kuku
07 Aug 09,, 15:53
Australian cricket teams are infamous for sledging, it’s been like this for a long time now and their form has gone up and down during this time.

Sub continent is not a single nation, views of cricket authorities in India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh as about as different as possible.
The 'chucking' decision was an ICC decision based on medical opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDxRhcpBZio

And their have been more than a couple of times when the umpires took some very favorable decisions for every single team on earth including Australia, and this has been happening since the very beginning. Every generation has this image of things being different and better back in the good old days.

Bigfella
07 Aug 09,, 16:44
Australian cricket teams are infamous for sledging, it’s been like this for a long time now and their form has gone up and down during this time.

Sub continent is not a single nation, views of cricket authorities in India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh as about as different as possible.
The 'chucking' decision was an ICC decision based on medical opinion.

YouTube - Proof that Muttiah Muralitharan does not chuck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDxRhcpBZio)

And their have been more than a couple of times when the umpires took some very favorable decisions for every single team on earth including Australia, and this has been happening since the very beginning. Every generation has this image of things being different and better back in the good old days.

Kuku,

I can agree with most of this except the 'chucking' issue. Two things were changed after intense pressure from Sri Lanka & its allies.

The first and by far most appalling was taking away the right of an umpire to call a player during a game for an illegal delivery. This quite literally makes it possible to cheat. Provided that you bowl legally for the official test you are safe. This has nothing to do with doctors & everything to do with cricket politics. I guess its just bad luck for the unfortunate batsman - he doesn't get his wicket back.

The second, almost as bad, is the change to allow bending of the arm by 15% for ALL bowlers. This meant that spinners, who had been given a 5% margin (quicks got more) suddenly had as much as fast bowlers. it is no coincidence that Murali (who I personally like - I don't think he cheats consciously) bends his arm at exactly that angle in tests (though no one knows how bad it is in reality). The new generation of offspinning 'doosra' bowlers are highly suspect. Again, tough luck for the batsmen, but the politics have been satisfied.

kuku
07 Aug 09,, 19:40
Kuku,

I can agree with most of this except the 'chucking' issue. Two things were changed after intense pressure from Sri Lanka & its allies.

The first and by far most appalling was taking away the right of an umpire to call a player during a game for an illegal delivery. This quite literally makes it possible to cheat. Provided that you bowl legally for the official test you are safe. This has nothing to do with doctors & everything to do with cricket politics. I guess its just bad luck for the unfortunate batsman - he doesn't get his wicket back.

The second, almost as bad, is the change to allow bending of the arm by 15% for ALL bowlers. This meant that spinners, who had been given a 5% margin (quicks got more) suddenly had as much as fast bowlers. it is no coincidence that Murali (who I personally like - I don't think he cheats consciously) bends his arm at exactly that angle in tests (though no one knows how bad it is in reality). The new generation of offspinning 'doosra' bowlers are highly suspect. Again, tough luck for the batsmen, but the politics have been satisfied.

Well i agree with the part that the umpire calling a delivery a no ball due to a suspect action should be an important part of the game.

I spent half my childhood learning leg spin, and it irritates me if someone can just make the ball turn half way illegally.

The Murali case is a tough one to judge, he can do the same things with a cast on his hand which shows that there is no chucking in his action.

However he can do it due to a medical condition, not all bowlers have that advantage and can only recreate that action with a slight jerk to change the spin of the ball (making it spin the other way).

It’s a rule now and everyone has the same advantage, so i don’t bother much with it.

If this was done due to some nations getting together and deciding to push this rule through the ICC, then that’s good with me too, cricket is a game of the people and its better if they make the rules, goes with the whole democratic spirit in major cricketing nations (although Pakistan keeps on veering off every decade or so and Zimbabwe had to be kicked out) :biggrin: ;)

Although if you ask me, some rules should just become sort of a constitution of cricket, like the right to face a legal delivery and the right to bounce the batsmen crazy (i mean come on, with the sort of protective equipment available and the modern science at service to make more, we should forget the body line days).:cool:

http://www.dangermouse.net/cricket/history/4T_Woodfull.jpg

dave lukins
07 Aug 09,, 21:29
Couldn't believe that score. Did they field the ground staff:eek: Again jaws, victory, blah blah.

Tronic
07 Aug 09,, 22:07
Couldn't believe that score. Did they field the ground staff:eek: Again jaws, victory, blah blah.

Damn disappointing. I hope they can step up and atleast pull a draw if not a victory!

Bigfella
08 Aug 09,, 04:04
A remarkable day's cricket. All the Australians bowled well, but for me the pick was big Stu Clark. Tore the heart out of the England lineup with the sort of line & length that no one but Hilfenhaus has come close to until today. Broad did well for England, but he didn't have any mates.

The two highlights, however, were batsmen. First, Prior. Almost out of the game before it began, he shamed the top order & showed the consistency that has made him so valuable this series. One can only wonder if a Pietersen or Flintoff to throw the willow with him might have given England another 50 runs. The second highlight was Ponting. Having seen England go for 100 & the normally reliable Katich go for 0, he came out & put on a masterclass. He got inside the heads of the England bowlers and, like Australia on the first day at Lords, they threw the game away. By the time he was gone Australia was ahead. There is a reason why we love Ricky.

A few dissappointments. I couldn't say I'm especially dissapointed by the English batsmen because I don't rate most of them. Strauss is quality, but he isn't going to make a big score every time - no one does. Other than that the only one I think is test quality is Collingwood, and he is only average. Still, he is a fighter. They will need that in the 2nd innings. On the Australian side Hussey still worries me. He will probably limp on until the end of the series, but we might want to consider finding a younger replacement (or perhaps bring back Hughes at the top & put Watson at 4).

The big letdowns of the day, however, were 2 England bowlers. The firat was Anderson. The guy who tore Australia apart so recently couldn't get a wicket. He needed to. The other was not a disappointment for me but for England - Steve Harmison. I have been praying for his return because I know that for every good spell he bowls there are two or three bad ones. Like the girl with the curl (or perhaps our Mitchell J) when he is good he is very very good. When he is bad he is awful. We got both today, but much more of the latter.

England still have a chance here, but it is slim. They need to come out this morning & wrap us up for 250ish. The pitch will bat better for the next few days, so England just might be able turn a deficit of 150ish into a lead of 250ish with some determined batting. This is where the decision to pick 5 bowlers will hurt. If the pitch starts turning late on dat 3 England has the bowler to take advantage. Australia has batted erratically, under pressure we might fold.

What should scare England is that our bowling attack has finally found its length. It has taken 3 tests & the choice of Clark, but we are finally all on the same page. Assuming we can bowl like this from now on we can not only draw the series, but threaten a win. I still think a drawn series is the most likely result (followed closely by an England win), but a lazy few $ on Australia taking the series might pay dividends.

dave lukins
08 Aug 09,, 10:43
Looks like the Aussies will even the score. Well at least it keeps us all in suspense;)

Yusuf
08 Aug 09,, 11:27
Yeah. England staring down the barrel right now. A good performance from here on also might not help them. Aussies 96 ahead with 6 wicket to go. They will aim to get atleast 250 ahead.

Bigfella
08 Aug 09,, 11:45
Yeah. England staring down the barrel right now. A good performance from here on also might not help them. Aussies 96 ahead with 6 wicket to go. They will aim to get atleast 250 ahead.

Yusuf,

If we get 150 up England is in BIG trouble. If we get 200 up the game is over. The only danger is that morning sessions have usually been best for the bowlers (more moisture about) and Australia's batting has been patchy. Haddin is nursing a broken finger. On the up side, S.Clark is a handy batsman, so the tail is no worse off.

I still think we are home.

Yusuf
08 Aug 09,, 13:21
150 runs will give England a thought in the mind that they can put it across the aussies. But 250 runs shuts off the game for sure. Australia cannot get complacent. They have to bat last in this test. They should try not to bat again in this test.

Bigfella
08 Aug 09,, 16:42
Australia over 340 ahead. Game over.

bolo121
08 Aug 09,, 19:46
England five down for eighty, just the formalities left now.

Bigfella
09 Aug 09,, 09:56
Johnson has found his range. Clark is back. Siddle is fired up & Hilfenhaus continues to impress. For the first time in 121 years England lost batsmen 3, 4 & 5 for single figures in both innings. Only 1 of the 6 highest scoring batsmen in the series are English & the 3 leading wicket takers are also Australian (it would be 4 of 5 but for Broad's fine spell).

If anything like current form into the next test we'll win the series.

Useless Ashes fact: no leg spinner has taken a wicket for England in an Ashes test since 1968. Since 1989 legspinners have taken almost 250 for Australia (Warney had 190 of those). Strange but true.

Silent Hunter
23 Aug 09,, 15:56
Well, England have one and a half hands on the urn.

Knaur Amarsh
23 Aug 09,, 17:27
Well, England have one and a half hands on the urn.

Yeah, you can just imagine Flintoff in the New Year Honours :))

tankie
23 Aug 09,, 17:28
Lets hope the convicts are sent back to Botany Bay without , ernie , :biggrin: woo hooooooo