PDA

View Full Version : Sports Quiz

Shiny Capstar
09 Feb 09,, 21:39
Basically like the Quizzes in other sections of the forum, but about sport! (Hints in the name really)

Since I've drawn a blank as to questions right now but still think this thread must be started it shall start with an open question. (Not exactly the best start I know but still)

Herodotus
09 Feb 09,, 21:43
Basically like the Quizzes in other sections of the forum, but about sport! (Hints in the name really)

Since I've drawn a blank as to questions right now but still think this thread must be started it shall start with an open question. (Not exactly the best start I know but still)

I'll start with a question, it's an easy one though. Who was the last NHL player to play without a helmet?

Mobbme
09 Feb 09,, 23:30
I'll start with a question, it's an easy one though. Who was the last NHL player to play without a helmet?

Without googling and all that, was it Mr. Hockey? Gordie Howie?

gunnut
09 Feb 09,, 23:38
Craig MacTavish

Herodotus
09 Feb 09,, 23:38
Without googling and all that, was it Mr. Hockey? Gordie Howie?

Nope, more contemporary.

Herodotus
09 Feb 09,, 23:40
He's a coach now.

Mobbme
10 Feb 09,, 04:14
He's a coach now.

Guy Carbonneau?

Herodotus
10 Feb 09,, 17:53
Craig MacTavish

Yeah you got it. I must have missed your post earlier. I guess you are up gunnut.

gunnut
10 Feb 09,, 19:26
Yeah you got it. I must have missed your post earlier. I guess you are up gunnut.

The helmetless one...his head was never struck by a puck during his 17 (or so) year career. He was hit by a puck during practice coaching the Blues. Players threw their helmets at him. :biggrin:

Here's my quiz question: 1988 Los Angeles Lakers boasted 4 No.1 overall picks in the NBA draft. Who were they?

Mobbme
10 Feb 09,, 19:44
The helmetless one...his head was never struck by a puck during his 17 (or so) year career. He was hit by a puck during practice coaching the Blues. Players threw their helmets at him. :biggrin:

Here's my quiz question: 1988 Los Angeles Lakers boasted 4 No.1 overall picks in the NBA draft. Who were they?

Is that the show time lakers?

Magic Johnson, Kareem, maybe Byron Scott, and I don't know the 4th :eek:

P.S are we allowed to use Google? As you may have noticed, life without google sucks right now :tongue:

Mobbme
10 Feb 09,, 19:45

Thats not fair, because of your error I had to throw up another guess :redface:

:P:))

gunnut
10 Feb 09,, 19:46
Is that the show time lakers?

Magic Johnson, Kareem, maybe Byron Scott, and I don't know the 4th :eek:

P.S are we allowed to use Google? As you may have noticed, life without google sucks right now :tongue:

Try not to google and see if you can come up with the answer.

No Yahoo or MSN either :P

That was the Showtime Lakers. You got Magic and Kareem, but missing the other two.

Albany Rifles
10 Feb 09,, 20:49
Kareem, Magic, James Worthy and Mychal Johnson

The first three were drafted by the Lakers....Johnson game by way of a trade the year prior...can't tremember who he had been with Portland

gunnut
10 Feb 09,, 21:25
Close enough. I think I'll give it to you.

It was Magic, Kareem, James Worthy, and Mychal Thompson.

Kareem was drafted by Milwaukee in 1969 I believe. He played 6 seasons for the Bucks and then came to the Lakers.

Mychal Thompson was drafted in 1976 I believe. Forgot who drafted him.

Magic and Worthy were both drafted by the Lakers, 1979 and 1982, respectively. The interesting thing was these 2 picks were not Lakers' picks. They traded a few seasons prior for them.

Your question.:)

YellowFever
11 Feb 09,, 08:29
I think Mychal Thompson was drafted by Portland (in 76 or 78?) and was traded to San Anotonio when Lakers picked him up. (not sure)

And I think the Jazz traded their number one pick (which turned out to be Magic Johnson) for Gail Goodrich.

This would have been much easier if I could've google'd it. :)

gunnut
11 Feb 09,, 09:53
I think Mychal Thompson was drafted by Portland (in 76 or 78?) and was traded to San Anotonio when Lakers picked him up. (not sure)

And I think the Jazz traded their number one pick (which turned out to be Magic Johnson) for Gail Goodrich.

This would have been much easier if I could've google'd it. :)

Yeah but then it wouldn't be a challenge any more.:)

Albany Rifles
11 Feb 09,, 14:24
Without getting a hit what are six ways a batter can reach 1st base?

gunnut
11 Feb 09,, 19:08

OK just saw the "without getting a hit" part.

Let me try this again.

I can only come up with 5. Let me think some more...:cool:

Shek
11 Feb 09,, 19:14

Base on balls
Intentional base on balls :confused::))
Fielder's choice
Catcher interference
Wild Pitch on third strike
Error

Herodotus
11 Feb 09,, 19:31
Base on balls
Intentional base on balls :confused::))
Fielder's choice
Catcher interference
Wild Pitch on third strike
Error

You forgot hit by pitch as well.

Shek
11 Feb 09,, 19:36
You forgot hit by pitch as well.

I figured that out after the fact - that's why I tried to split off IBB from BB to make six :redface:

Albany Rifles
11 Feb 09,, 20:05
Shek got 5 (BB and Intentional BB same thing!!!) and Herodotus got 1

Also would have accepted fielder's obstruction.

So Shek and Herodotus its upp to you guys!

gunnut
11 Feb 09,, 20:47
Fielder's obstruction, that's the one I couldn't quite come up with.

The other one I have question on is the "wild pitch on 3rd strike."

Does it have to be a called 3rd strike or swing-and-miss count as well?

Herodotus
11 Feb 09,, 21:05
Shek got 5 (BB and Intentional BB same thing!!!) and Herodotus got 1

Also would have accepted fielder's obstruction.

So Shek and Herodotus its upp to you guys!

I concede to Shek since he would have figured out HBP anyway, plus I've already asked a question.

Albany Rifles
11 Feb 09,, 22:12
Fielder's obstruction, that's the one I couldn't quite come up with.

The other one I have question on is the "wild pitch on 3rd strike."

Does it have to be a called 3rd strike or swing-and-miss count as well?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncaught_third_strike

Mobbme
12 Feb 09,, 20:38
Come on Shek, question up!!!!

Shek
12 Feb 09,, 21:32
In the wake of the Superbowl:

Name the four Superbowl MVPs who also have a Heisman Trophy as part of their hardware collection.

Herodotus
12 Feb 09,, 23:06
In the wake of the Superbowl:

Name the four Superbowl MVPs who also have a Heisman Trophy as part of their hardware collection.

Off the top of my head I'm going to guess: Desmond Howard, Marcus Allen (?), Peyton Manning, and I'll guess Roger Staubach.

Shek
12 Feb 09,, 23:08
Off the top of my head I'm going to guess: Desmond Howard, Marcus Allen (?), Peyton Manning, and I'll guess Roger Staubach.

Manning was second in the Heisman voting his senior season, but the other three are on target.

Herodotus
12 Feb 09,, 23:45
Manning was second in the Heisman voting his senior season, but the other three are on target.

That's pretty good. I almost went with Tony Dorsett, so I'll guess Tony Dorsett instead of Manning.

YellowFever
13 Feb 09,, 01:44
Troy Aikeman

Shek
13 Feb 09,, 01:46
Not a Cowboy . . .

Mobbme
13 Feb 09,, 02:00
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Big Ben? Ben Roth...

Shek
13 Feb 09,, 02:58
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Big Ben? Ben Roth...

Nein!

Mobbme
13 Feb 09,, 06:40
Nein!

:mad:

Albany Rifles
13 Feb 09,, 16:35
I am SOOOOO old

Jim Plunkett

Shek
13 Feb 09,, 17:26
I am SOOOOO old

Jim Plunkett

Your question.

Albany Rifles
13 Feb 09,, 21:16
Hero has it....he got 3 of them.

Herodotus
13 Feb 09,, 23:19
Hero has it....he got 3 of them.

Thanks, I don't think I would have guessed Plunket though. But I'll ask a question anyway. :biggrin: The big four North American sports have been covered at least once, so I am going to ask a more universal question to involve our friends from across the pond. Actually it may be easy for some, though I had to look it up.

Who was the last Englishman to win Wimbledon, in men's singles tennis?

gunnut
14 Feb 09,, 00:03
Thanks, I don't think I would have guessed Plunket though. But I'll ask a question anyway. :biggrin: The big four North American sports have been covered at least once, so I am going to ask a more universal question to involve our friends from across the pond. Actually it may be easy for some, though I had to look it up.

Who was the last Englishman to win Wimbledon, in men's singles tennis?

Was he the main character in 10,000 BC? :biggrin:

Mobbme
14 Feb 09,, 01:21
Was he the main character in 10,000 BC? :biggrin:

roflzzz

Sampras??!!

gunnut
14 Feb 09,, 01:33
roflzzz

Sampras??!!

Pete's American and he's not that old.

Herodotus
14 Feb 09,, 04:03
roflzzz

Sampras??!!

Nope, think ancient times. :)) Not too ancient but older than A.R., which is pretty ancient. :biggrin:

Mobbme
14 Feb 09,, 04:04
Pete's American and he's not that old.

hahahahhaha

Silly me, tennis is for Europeans ;)

Mobbme
14 Feb 09,, 04:05
Nope, think ancient times. :)) Not too ancient but older than A.R., which is pretty ancient. :biggrin:

Hmm, can't wait to see who gets this one :))

gunnut
14 Feb 09,, 07:20
Without searching on the internet, I can only say that the last Englishman who won the Wimbledon was probably in the 1950s, possibly earlier.

Herodotus
14 Feb 09,, 18:16
Without searching on the internet, I can only say that the last Englishman who won the Wimbledon was probably in the 1950s, possibly earlier.

About 20 years earlier.

Mobbme
16 Feb 09,, 22:22
About 20 years earlier.

I don't think anyone knows. Shame some of our members don't know something like this that happened in their lifetime :))

Albany Rifles
16 Feb 09,, 23:12

Kiss my broad butt!!!

Herodotus
16 Feb 09,, 23:18
I don't think anyone knows. Shame some of our members don't know something like this that happened in their lifetime :))

You are probably right. I thought it would be on the tips of the tongues of some of our UK posters, but maybe no one likes tennis.

All right I have a back-up question, more contemporary. In college football who is the NCAA division I all-time leader in career rushing yards?

Shek
16 Feb 09,, 23:21
You are probably right. I thought it would be on the tips of the tongues of some of our UK posters, but maybe no one likes tennis.

All right I have a back-up question, more contemporary. In college football who is the NCAA division I all-time leader in career rushing yards?

Barry Sanders?

Mobbme

Americans :rolleyes:

:tongue:

Herodotus
Kiss my broad butt!!!

:)) No offense meant, just a little jest. Anyway the answer was Fred Perry in 1936.

Shek
16 Feb 09,, 23:22
Okay, just looked it up and he's not even among the leaders. I guess we'll have to wait for S-2 to hit the board.

Albany Rifles
17 Feb 09,, 15:34
He has played for the Giants, Broncos and Texans

He Badgers defenses with his bruising running style!

(Saw this in one of those bar trivia games about 2 weeks ago)

Albany Rifles
19 Feb 09,, 14:38
Okay, enough waiting on S-2

Ron Dayne

Herodotus
19 Feb 09,, 20:07
Okay, enough waiting on S-2

Ron Dayne

Yes, you got it. Your question.

Albany Rifles
19 Feb 09,, 21:30
What happened on this day in 1953 to a major sports figure?

It was NOT a sports related event.

Herodotus
19 Feb 09,, 22:19
What happened on this day in 1953 to a major sports figure?

It was NOT a sports related event.

Joe Dimaggio married Marilyn Monroe?

Albany Rifles
19 Feb 09,, 22:24
Joe Dimaggio married Marilyn Monroe?

That was JAN 54.

Right sport, though.

Herodotus
19 Feb 09,, 22:32
That was JAN 54.

Right sport, though.

I can only guess Ted Williams's return home from the Korean War.

Albany Rifles
20 Feb 09,, 01:10
I can only guess Ted Williams's return home from the Korean War.

Right name.....it was when his aircraft got too shot up to return to his carrier and he had to land at Suwon AFB. Stayed a few days and then returned to his carrier....where he then became John Glenn's wingman for the rest of his tour.

All yours!

S2
20 Feb 09,, 01:23
Sorry.

Just stuck my head in. Wouldn't you know?;)

Hero, I thought Joe and Marilyn too.

Herodotus
20 Feb 09,, 01:28
Right name.....it was when his aircraft got too shot up to return to his carrier and he had to land at Suwon AFB. Stayed a few days and then returned to his carrier....where he then became John Glenn's wingman for the rest of his tour.

All yours!

You're too predictable A.R. :biggrin: I'll stick with baseball, and since one of these players is returning to his original team, this is a good question:

Which three players hold the MLB record for most consecutive games with at least one home run?

Mobbme
20 Feb 09,, 05:08
You're too predictable A.R. :biggrin: I'll stick with baseball, and since one of these players is returning to his original team, this is a good question:

Which three players hold the MLB record for most consecutive games with at least one home run?

Babe Ruth, Joe Carter, A-Rod?

Herodotus
20 Feb 09,, 05:33
Babe Ruth, Joe Carter, A-Rod?

No, none of them are in the HOF, one is still playing, and just re-signed with A-Rod's (and his) former team. :biggrin:

Mobbme
20 Feb 09,, 12:39
Ken Griffey Junior, Alomar,

Herodotus
20 Feb 09,, 19:56

Griffey is right, he tied the record in '93. Last person to do it.

Herodotus
21 Feb 09,, 06:56

Mobbme, I'm going to go ahead and give it to you. I don't think anyone else will know the other names, and I'm kind of tired of asking questions.

The other two were: Don Mattingly in 1987, and Dale Long in '56. The record is 8 games in a row with a home run.

Mobbme
21 Feb 09,, 08:46
Mobbme, I'm going to go ahead and give it to you. I don't think anyone else will know the other names, and I'm kind of tired of asking questions.

The other two were: Don Mattingly in 1987, and Dale Long in '56. The record is 8 games in a row with a home run.

Good job, if I were you i'd have given it to me too.

I'm the legend killer, the show stopper, the main event, the guy whos said hi to Pamela Anderson AND Ashton Kutcher's wife, the guy who gets all the cake, the one and only, the mega don, the godfather's right hand man, and the guy who never finishes his dinner plate.

Aren't you glad you gave it to me dude?

Mobbme
21 Feb 09,, 09:02
Answer at your own risk

Mobbme The Great's question:

What was the highest scoring hockey game?

You can name the first game, or the 2nd (last) game :)

Herodotus
21 Feb 09,, 09:52
Good job, if I were you i'd have given it to me too.

I'm the legend killer, the show stopper, the main event, the guy whos said hi to Pamela Anderson AND Ashton Kutcher's wife, the guy who gets all the cake, the one and only, the mega don, the godfather's right hand man, and the guy who never finishes his dinner plate.

Aren't you glad you gave it to me dude?

In the immortal word of Bruce Willis's character in 5th Element (Korben Dallas): Thrilled!

Mobbme
21 Feb 09,, 11:59
In the immortal word of Bruce Willis's character in 5th Element (Korben Dallas): Thrilled!

:P:P

Take a shot at my question dude,

cuz i'm back in the game! Lets see who dominates this thread

Herodotus
21 Feb 09,, 19:50
:P:P

Take a shot at my question dude,

cuz i'm back in the game! Lets see who dominates this thread

At what level-NHL, junior hockey, high school? My high school had a game (championship game) where we won 15-0. :biggrin: If you mean NHL I will guess it was in the 1980s with the Edmonton Oilers. So I'll guess they beat the Flames 11-10 in March, 1984. A completely wild guess. :)

Mobbme
22 Feb 09,, 04:50
At what level-NHL, junior hockey, high school? My high school had a game (championship game) where we won 15-0. :biggrin: If you mean NHL I will guess it was in the 1980s with the Edmonton Oilers. So I'll guess they beat the Flames 11-10 in March, 1984. A completely wild guess. :)

No, there was no game where Edmonton beat Calgary 11-10, but good guess. You are close, thats another hint ;)

I'm talking about NHL dude!!!

Herodotus
22 Feb 09,, 06:47
I had to look it up, I was close. Not bad for a wild guess. :)) I'll pass on answering further though.

Mobbme
22 Feb 09,, 08:02
I had to look it up, I was close. Not bad for a wild guess. :)) I'll pass on answering further though.

Looked it up... you broke the rules of the Sports Covenant. I'm disappointed Herodotus, you must NOT look anything up!

Where do we go from here?

Lets see if someone else can answer it, if not, I will have to think of a punishment for you.

Mobbme
25 Feb 09,, 03:37
Hint:

The Edmonton Oilers defeated a team in 1985 12-9. Which team did they defeat??

Herodotus
25 Feb 09,, 18:20
Hint:

The Edmonton Oilers defeated a team in 1985 12-9. Which team did they defeat??

I don't think anybody else knows Mobbme. I got one of the teams, and was off by a year. :)

Mobbme
25 Feb 09,, 21:27
I don't think anybody else knows Mobbme. I got one of the teams, and was off by a year. :)

I think I need to attract more Canadians to join this board.

But since you surrendered and asked for mercy, I will grant you that because I am a Knight of honour, I shall show mercy and take all of your gold and jewels, thus giving you freedom once again on the sports quiz thread, I am Sir Mobbme The First, Royal emperor of the 1st Battallion of Mar Nazareth, Commander in Chief of all the Battallions in Mar Nazareth, be free young lad, this life is but one joyful journey, until we meet again, off you go!

The answer is:
The Canadiens and Toronto St. Patrick's combined for 21 goals on January 10, 1920, with Montreal winning 14-7. The Edmonton Oilers and Chicago Blackhawks tied the record on December 11, 1985. The Oilers won 12-9.

gunnut
26 Feb 09,, 01:07
You figure a team should win with an offensive outburst of 9 goals in a game. :tongue:

Mobbme
26 Feb 09,, 05:08
Not in Gretzky's era baby! ;)

Ok, question is back to Herodotus since he was "close" :rolleyes: lol go for it bud

Herodotus
26 Feb 09,, 06:52
Not in Gretzky's era baby! ;)

Ok, question is back to Herodotus since he was "close" :rolleyes: lol go for it bud

Thank you O wise and wonderful Sir Mobbme, your generosity knows no bounds. I am but pond scum unworthy to lick your boots. :biggrin:

All right baseball: Who was the last catcher to win the NL MVP award?

dave lukins
26 Feb 09,, 09:52
All right baseball: Who was the last catcher to win the NL MVP award?

Russell Martin.. Los Angeles Dodgers?

Mobbme
26 Feb 09,, 13:00
Ivan Rodriguez? I'm not sure if he won the MVP, but he did win something more than the Golden Glove

Albany Rifles
26 Feb 09,, 14:48
Can only be one man.....catcher for the Big Red Machine, Johnny Bench.

Gawd, I hate those guys!

Herodotus
26 Feb 09,, 18:29
Can only be one man.....catcher for the Big Red Machine, Johnny Bench.

Gawd, I hate those guys!

Yup you got it, your question.

Albany Rifles
26 Feb 09,, 19:49
Per the USGA & R&A

You and your playing partners are looking down the fairway towards the green and you ask them what do they think the distance to the pin is?

Are you in violation of the rules of golf and, if so, what is the penalty?

Shek
26 Feb 09,, 20:23
Per the USGA & R&A

You and your playing partners are looking down the fairway towards the green and you ask them what do they think the distance to the pin is?

Are you in violation of the rules of golf and, if so, what is the penalty?

You're a fool, b/c they'll give you the wrong distance, and the penalty is that you'll end up having to buy beer at the 19th hole!

gunnut
26 Feb 09,, 20:47
Are range finders allowed in a tournament?

Albany Rifles
26 Feb 09,, 21:42
Shek

You have mad golfing skillz! But if you played golf with me you would not be waiting until the 19th Hole to drink beer!

Gun Nut

Not in tournament play....but this is not a tournament.

The issue is about asking the question.

Mobbme
02 Mar 09,, 14:56
So yeah, the Sports God's have informed me that since "someone" brought up something called Golf into the sports quiz section, its only fair that I ask the next question -

Hockey Question

- Which Staal played more playoff games?

Albany Rifles
03 Mar 09,, 19:02
So yeah, the Sports God's have informed me that since "someone" brought up something called Golf into the sports quiz section, its only fair that I ask the next question -

Hockey Question

- Which Staal played more playoff games?

My question is still open...don't jump the thread.

Mobbme
03 Mar 09,, 19:40
My question is still open...don't jump the thread.

I thought it was over. I didn't understand all that golf talk that was going on. Its like when someone starts talking about physics or chemistry, its like "are you still speaking english dude?"

Albany Rifles
04 Mar 09,, 19:35
The answer is no penalty for asking assistance. Prior to 2004 it would have been a 2 stroke penalty.

Mobbme
04 Mar 09,, 21:20
The answer is no penalty for asking assistance. Prior to 2004 it would have been a 2 stroke penalty.

Who's your favourite golfer? Jack or Tiger? Or neither

Albany Rifles
05 Mar 09,, 03:30
Who's your favourite golfer? Jack or Tiger? Or neither

Neither....I like Trips...Davis Love III....I have loved Rocko Mediate for a long time....same with Corey Pavin...but the best are David Faherty and Gary McCord

Mobbme
05 Mar 09,, 05:28
Mike Weir popularized the sport in Canada. I wish he'd win more, but that one year he had just seems like a dream now.

I have a golf course right beside my house, but I dare not go to it yet

- I've never even tried the game yet :redface:

gunnut
11 Mar 09,, 20:32
Golf screws up my hockey swing.:tongue:

Albany Rifles
11 Mar 09,, 22:03
Golf screws up my hockey swing.:tongue:

Beer usually screws up my golf swing

gunnut
11 Mar 09,, 23:09
Beer usually screws up my golf swing

I play hockey better after a brewski.:redface:

Or at least I think I play better...

Albany Rifles
12 Mar 09,, 00:20
My brother tells me not to call it beer.

He tells me it is called swing oil.

Mobbme
12 Mar 09,, 05:00
I play hockey better after a brewski.:redface:

Or at least I think I play better...

Believe it or not, I actually play Pool better after a brewski or two. I don't know why, I guess I "concentrate" more

Mobbme
19 Oct 09,, 11:40

Your question again big brother! We let this thread almost die, cpr it backkkkkk, whats YO sports question??!!