Bushfires in South Eastern Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushfires in South Eastern Australia

This has been happening on the northern suburban fringe of my hometown of Melbourne and in rural areas I am very familiar with. Suburban train lines have been cut & several small towns have literally ceased to exist.

We knew this was coming. last week was the hottest on record in Victoria with 3 days in a row in Melbourne at or above 43C. Yesterday it hit 46.4 in Melbourne - the hottest day in out history. The hot winds from the north have been terrible.

The death toll is now at 50 & rising as cleanup crews pick through towns & suburbs destroyed by the fire. While a cool change has arrived, the rain will not be enough to stop some of the fires. The rain is just evaporating before it hits the ground. Worse, if there is lightning it may produce more fires. We just have to hope that the brave fire crews battling the blazes can get them under control.

Fortunately friends & family are OK, but the fire has come closer to a few than I would like. One who lost his family home in the devastating 1983 'Ash Wednesday' fires is OK, but the fires came close this time too. The reality of it was brought home to me today when I was visiting with family. My 13 year old niece was ringing around her friends - several had been evacuated, one had lost her home. One of my brothers will have a bag packed & ready to go at a moment's notice. relatives by marriage can see the glow of the fires from their home in the state's north.

Hell's fury unleashed

February 8, 2009 - 4:24PM

Hell has unleashed its fury on Victoria, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said today.

Thirty-six people are confirmed dead in savage bushfires which have ripped across Victoria, with police expecting the toll to rise into the 40s.

"Hell and all its fury has visited the good people of Victoria in the last 24 hours," Mr Rudd told reporters in the fire-ravaged Yarra Valley.

"Many good people now lie dead. Many others lie injured.

"This is an appalling tragedy for Victoria but because of that it's an appalling tragedy for the nation.

"Australia the country stands behind Victoria at this awful time.

"Our first response as human beings is one of the deepest empathy for people whose lives have now been devastated.

"This loss of life, the numbers of injured, the horrific injuries, our thoughts and our prayers go out to each and every one of them as they now try and deal with this tragedy and recover from the damage which has occurred."

Twenty-five victims were killed in the Kinglake area north of Melbourne, one in the central regional city of Bendigo and another in the nearby town of Long Gully. Nine deaths were confirmed on Sunday afternoon in Gippsland.

Hundreds of homes have been destroyed and at least 200,000 hectares of land has been burnt out in more than 400 fires in every part of the state over the weekend.

Mr Rudd paid tribute to firefighters who have averted even further devastation and said the army would be deployed to help.

"Also as human beings we salute the extraordinary courage of all the emergency services workers," he said.

"Police, the Country Fire Authority, those who work in our hospitals, those in the SES (State Emergency Service).

"At times like this, the nation stands behind states like Victoria when the Australian Defence Force is needed.

"All the resources as required by the Victorian authorities from the Australian Defence Force will be provided, wherever that is, whichever community it is, whatever the defence force can do, we will do.

"Some of these communities don't have anything left.

"This is very large scale stuff."

Mr Rudd announced a joint federal-state $10 million relief fund, and appealed to Australians to give generously.

"My appeal to all Australians is to dig deep as people's lives have been shattered," he said.

"The national government will be with the Victorian government, through the awful and ugly days that lie ahead and in the longer path of recovery."

AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...027840608.html
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

76 confirmed lost...horrific:( BF you stay safe take no chances get out of there PDQ if it gets anywheres' close

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
      76 confirmed lost...horrific:( BF you stay safe take no chances get out of there PDQ if it gets anywheres' close

Don't worry Dave, I live VERY close to the heart of Melbourne in a nice little industrial suburb mercifully free of foliage (find Abbotsford, Collingwood or Richmond on the map & you'll see what I mean).

Both my brothers, on the other hand, live uncomfortably close to the fires. It looks like they will be safe given wind direction & other factors, but we are all watching the news like hawks.

The terrifying thing is how damned fast these things move & how hot they get. The radiant heat alone was melting the mag wheels off cars - just little pools of metal on the ground. The fires create their own weather systems - sucking in oxygen fast enough to create their own wind; creating giant firestorms; even creating their own lightning!! I have seen footage of houses literally explode as the fire front hits.

That figure of 76 will rise even if no further lives are lost in the fires. There are people in hospital who will not survive & there are still bodies in the wreckage. As it is the fires are still going & are threatening more towns. This death toll is already the worst for fires in Australian history. I wept watching the news tonight. It is hard to find words.
      sigpic

Comment

BF, stay safe. My thoughts are with you and your family.
        Last edited by sunnyamy; 08 Feb 09,, 12:03.

Comment

I have friends in Melbourne too. I hope that things will get better soon.

Comment

The death toll has hit 85 now and they expect it to keep rising. Ive been through a few bushfires myself with my parental home being across the river from the Royal National Park but the speed at which this fire moved was phenomenal. Apparently the containment lines had not a hope in hell of stopping the biggest fire and it had crossed at 8am on Saturday morning. And as you military types would know if you make the breakout early in the morning you have the whole day to exploit the situation. Fires are now that big that its not possible to gain control of them at night when the conditions relax a little.

I made myself a promise than if im ever faced with a fire like that.. Bugger the house, im insured, im out of there. You can always rebuild later.

The terrible thing with fires are that in a developed country the deaths are avoidable. Its all well and good to try defend your home against a relativelly minor bushfire but when you have one of the size of the major fires in Melb right now sometimes its best to bail out once it gets too close and avoid the heroics.
            The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

My heart goes out to Australia today, I know that wildfires are incredibly difficult to contain as we have had several here in the US (most notably out in California about 2 years ago) that seemed like they would never stop.

Has the US Forest Service Fire/Rescue division offered any assistance to Australia?

Comment

To all the Aussies...stay safe! :)
                “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes.

Chris, there is a long history of Australian & US fire crews supporting each other in these situations. If we need the extra help I'm sure it will be forthcoming.

In one 30 minute period this morning the death toll was revised from 93 to 108. Even seasoned journalists & newsreaders are struggling with the details. Yesterday out State Premier almost lost it on camera - his parents almost lost their home too. Over 750 houses lost. At least 3 schools. I'm struggling with the scale of this too. So many lives lost. Its all a bit much to process. Still can't watch the news without weeping.

And for those who think God doesn't have a strange sense of humour, parts of Queensland are experiencing record floods.
                  sigpic

Comment

They reckon a lot of the fires where started by arsonists

As if our bush needs any help in combusting you get these morons making the situation worse. At least the police arnet mucking about this time, anyone caught lighting fires will be charged with murder or manslaughter.

The mind boggles as to why people do this
                    The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

The death toll is now 108. Stay safe all our Aussi cousins.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                        The death toll is now 108. Stay safe all our Aussi cousins.
                        Without fear of contradiction ..So say all the WAB. We reiterate, stay safe first. no heroics;)

Comment

Ah, I weep for you guys, this is just horrific. Some of the stories coming out are just horrible.
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                            stay safe first. no heroics;)
                            Damn straight. No possession is worth more than your life.
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                              Damn straight. No possession is worth more than your life.
                              Agreed third, always follow the instructions of fire/rescue personnel and law enforcement officers and if they say to evacuate then evacuate in an orderly manner ASAP.

We had a wildfire here on Long Island in 1996 that stretched our anachronistic all volunteer fire/rescue system to the limits and nearly spread out of control, the FDNY (NYC Fire Dept.) had to send trucks and personnel to help us as did the US Forest Service Fire/Rescue.

Comment

Working...
                              X