Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car help!

Hey there people.

So my 1989 Dodge Shadow died last month, I was on my way to Ottawa when I was the highway. When i left I noticed that the car was loosing power when I tried to excelerate, then the engine stoped and I had to pull over.

I had the car towed to Canadian Tire, and paid for a Diagnosis. It was revealed that my Fuel Pump was dead. They wanted to charge me 525 dollars to replace the fuel pump and filter.

Instead, I purchased a fuel pump from Napa (made sure it was the same fuel pump as specified for a 89 shadow). And Today I took the afternoon to replace the old fuel pump with the new one, then I changed the fuel filter.

Then I turned on the car... and the same thing happened. Car turns on, but then shortly dies. However this time, I could hear the fuel pump 'whirl' when I engage the ignition. So the fuel pump is working, however, the car still does not want to run.

I am at a lost, I paid 90 dollars for a diagnosis, and the problem remains!! Makes me wonder, if I had of paid the 525 dollars to fix the car, it would have cost me a grand because they would have had to fix something else when they realized it was more than the fuel pump!!

If anyone has any idea what the problem is, can you post your suggestion?

The car was sitting outside for about 3 weeks, so I knew I had to pump the fuel pump, as the fuel lines were empty. However, still car wont run.
    Last edited by Canmoore; 07 Feb 09,, 22:29.

Harsh question I know but I have twice fixed a car for friends by putting some fuel in their tank. Are you sure you're not out of gas?
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

No, I have about half a tank of Gas.

If it helps, I replaced the spark plugs and wires in the fall.
      Last edited by Canmoore; 07 Feb 09,, 22:30.

Comment

1st step. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and turn to motor over to see if you're getting fuel squirting out. If yes, the problem is your carb. If no then you've most likely got a blockage back from there. Disconnect the line going into the pump and see if fuel comes out.
        If all that works, take the air filter off the carb so you can look down the barrel and move the throttle linkage. you should see a small squirt of fuel come out of the jet into the barrel of the carb (note: make sure the choke butterfly is open, otherwise you won't see down the barrel.
        Last edited by Parihaka; 07 Feb 09,, 22:39.

Leibniz

Comment

Infact do the look down the barrel of the carb thing first, you may save yourself some time...:))

Leibniz

Comment

Thanks.. I did all of the work at my work. People were there for most of the day, but by the time I had the fuel pump and filter on, everyone was gone from the shop. It was also 300pm, I started at 830am!!

(helps when you have to assemble the fuel pump first lol)

By the time i was finished, I did not feel like fooling around by my self to check if the lines were squirting fuel or not. Monday I am going to check that when there are people in the shop again.

I am thinking that there may be a blockage in the fuel lines, because when i disconnected the fuel lines there was little fuel in them (again this could have been because the car sat for 3 weeks).

Comment

My car shared the same trouble on a road trip . The water pump was cracked and in 30 min i`we lost almost all the water in the radiator. Long story short , i had to replace the entire engine...

Comment

Originally posted by gabriel View Post
                My car shared the same trouble on a road trip . The water pump was cracked and in 30 min i`we lost almost all the water in the radiator. Long story short , i had to replace the entire engine...
                ouch! This morning me and some of the guys were talking. One of the guys I work with has a GMC truck, his water pump died also. But apparantly it had a built in emergency system, where if the pump fails, the engine drops from using 8 cylinders to 4!

Pretty neat system, it saved him his engine also. But he had no power at all lol

Comment

Check the cylinder head gasket

Comment

I would also check for a second, or even a third fuel filter that needs replacement if you are not getting enough fuel to the carb. There might also be a lot of moisture in the gas.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Fuel pipes leak &/or ignition timing adjustment &/or distributor problem may be??
                      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Maybe some of the bandages or scotch tape flew into the elastic bands holding on the carburetor,which snapped and cut the ropes holding the windshield wipers,which...................................... ......:)):)):))

Comment

So yeah, I forgot. My car has an Electronic Fuel Injecter, not a carburetor.

So today after work, I took out the fuel injector and cleaned it, used compressed air to blow out all of the valves and clean the sensors. Then I put it all back together...

And my car started!!!

Then it reved to 3000rpm, back down to 1000rpm, than back to 3000 rpm where it stayed for a few seconds, than it fell to 1000rpm before stalling out.

Sooo... Now I think that there may be a vacuum problem, one of the air intakes may be damaged or cracked.. I noticed when putting the EFI back together that one of the air pipes was crinkled up and the end... I could swear that I could hear a hiss when the car was reving, which would indicate a vacuum problem.

Tomorrow ill try and get some of the guys to give me a hand in trying to find an air leak when the car is reving..

Hopefully the car will be on the road again!!

Oh, one more thing. I took a 12v mobile car booster and hooked it up to the old fuel pump that I ripped out on the weekend, just for shits and giggles....and it buzzed to life!!!!

So, Canadian Tire was about to charge me 525 dollars to change the fuel pump, when that was not even the problem!! What crooks!

Comment

Clean the throttle body, if you haven't already.
                            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
                              So yeah, I forgot. My car has an Electronic Fuel Injecter, not a carburetor.

So today after work, I took out the fuel injector and cleaned it, used compressed air to blow out all of the valves and clean the sensors. Then I put it all back together...

And my car started!!!

Then it reved to 3000rpm, back down to 1000rpm, than back to 3000 rpm where it stayed for a few seconds, than it fell to 1000rpm before stalling out.

Sooo... Now I think that there may be a vacuum problem, one of the air intakes may be damaged or cracked.. I noticed when putting the EFI back together that one of the air pipes was crinkled up and the end... I could swear that I could hear a hiss when the car was reving, which would indicate a vacuum problem.

Tomorrow ill try and get some of the guys to give me a hand in trying to find an air leak when the car is reving..

Hopefully the car will be on the road again!!

Oh, one more thing. I took a 12v mobile car booster and hooked it up to the old fuel pump that I ripped out on the weekend, just for shits and giggles....and it buzzed to life!!!!

So, Canadian Tire was about to charge me 525 dollars to change the fuel pump, when that was not even the problem!! What crooks!
                              I hope you get your car up and running soon as it really sucks not having a reliable ride.It looks like you are finally on the right track.
                              It always strikes me as odd how car mechanics and doctors are alike. They make a diagnosis formulate a cure, yet you get to foot the bill whether they are right or wrong. They do not mind trying this or that, and even something else on the next visit as they are not the ones paying for failure. You are.
                              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X