Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia and China seen negatively

Russia and China seen negatively

Global attitudes towards Russia and China are worsening, a poll carried out for the BBC World Service suggests.

China's positive ratings fell six points over the year to 39%, while negative views of Russia jumped eight points to 42%, according to the survey.

The survey was taken after President Barack Obama's election, but 43% still felt the US impact was negative.

More than 13,000 people in 21 countries were interviewed for the poll, part of an annual survey of world opinion.

It was carried out by international pollster GlobeScan with the Program on International Policy Attitudes (Pipa) at the University of Maryland in the 10 weeks leading up to 1 February.

China and Russia

In last year's poll of the same countries, people leaned more towards saying China and Russia were having a positive influence on the world.

But views of China are now divided, with 40% rating it negatively compared with 39% who view it positively.

"Our poll results suggest that China has much to learn about winning hearts and minds in the world," said GlobeScan chairman Doug Miller.

"It seems that a successful Olympic Games has not been enough to offset other concerns that people have," he added, referring to the summer games hosted by Beijing in August 2008.

The poll also suggests that substantially more people now have a negative view of Russia's influence - 42% negative versus 30% positive - and that was before the recent disruption in Russian gas supplies to Europe.

"As for Russia, the more it acts like the old Soviet Union, the less people outside its borders seem to like it," Mr Miller said.

The World Service poll has been canvassing opinions on the influence of countries since 2005.

Obama's challenge

The US, for the first time since 2005, has surpassed Russia in positive ratings, with an average of 40% compared with 35% last year.

But it is still rated negatively by 43% of those polled, down from 47% in the 2008 poll.

Views of the US have improved in six countries, but attitudes towards it in Russia and China have grown more negative, while most people in Europe show little change.

"Though BBC polls have shown that most people around the world are hopeful that Barack Obama will improve US relations with the world, it is clear that his election alone is not enough to turn the tide," said Steven Kull, director of Pipa.

"People are still looking to see if there are significant changes in US policies."

Germany once again fared best in the poll, with every country viewing it positively and 61% of people rating it favourably, up from 55% last year.

The UK also moved up seven points, with 58% of people rating it as having a positive influence.

As was the case last year, Iran, Israel, Pakistan and North Korea were rated most negatively.

The latest results are based on 13,575 responses in 21 countries around the world. The survey has a margin of error ranging from 2.4% to 4.4% depending upon the country, 19 times out of 20.
    sigpic

I did not expect Germany to be rated highest.

Comment

Russia and China seen negative
      I love how the media turns it around. US have 43, more then Russia or China, even after Obama, but look at the title! :)
      Winter is coming.

Comment

IIRC Germany has been rankest hightest, or at least extremly high in the last of these polls for quite a few years.

Comment

Link to the article? Why is it these studies never just show the full results, it would be nice for once to see where other countries stand rather than top/bottom + the big ones.

Also what countries were polled, how many in each country etc..

Whilst I'm thankful that news agency's like to try and cut the crap and give me the gist of things, I wouldn't mind seeing the results myself either

Comment

Originally posted by Steezy View Post
            Link to the article? Why is it these studies never just show the full results, it would be nice for once to see where other countries stand rather than top/bottom + the big ones.

Also what countries were polled, how many in each country etc..

Whilst I'm thankful that news agency's like to try and cut the crap and give me the gist of things, I wouldn't mind seeing the results myself either
            Here you go.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...ervicepoll.pdf
            夫唯不爭,故天下莫能與之爭。

Comment

Wow, that's weird. How can a country lose good will in the world if it doesn't have GW Bush in office to do so?
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Canada gets some love, except from Turkey, Russia

A new global survey shows the majority of the world views Canada in a positive light, except we appear to be rubbing the Turks and the Russians the wrong way.

The BBC World Service poll, for which GlobeScan conducted interviews across 21 countries, showed Canada had the second-best rating with 57 per cent seeing it as having a positive influence in the world.

However, in Turkey, views of Canada have become sharply more negative.

In 2007, 20 per cent of Turkish people viewed Canada as having a negative influence. Now, that figure has jumped to 49 per cent.

Doug Miller, chairman of GlobeScan, said Friday that analysts suggest Canada's position on Turkey's past war crimes is likely to have contributed to the decline.

"That obviously has had some widespread media coverage in Turkey and that is a likely contributor to this," Miller told CTV.ca from Toronto.

However, Miller said Canada shouldn't feel so bad since Turkey "across-the-board" held negative views of most countries polled, with the exception of Germany.

"With the basic refusal of the EU to admit Turkey and the Iraq war I think there's quite a negative view of the West and other great powers in Turkey," he said. "I think they're feeling quite isolated and unsupported."

Meanwhile, in Russia, positive views of Canada deteriorated significantly from 2007 -- dropping from 51 per cent to 36 per cent.

Miller said there was nothing specific that its research team was aware of that could have triggered the drop.

From 2007 levels, significant increases in positive views of Canada were found in the following countries:

Philippines (83 per cent, up from 67 per cent)
                United States (82 per cent, up from 65 per cent)
                China (75 per cent, up from 65 per cent)
                Italy (74 per cent, up from 62 per cent)
                United Kingdom (74 per cent, up from 65 per cent)
                Egypt (26 per cent, up from 12 per cent)
                France, Australia, Germany, Chile, Spain, Central America, Mexico, Indonesia and India also saw Canada as having a positive influence.

Overall, Germany, at 61 per cent, was viewed the best by the global community.

The poll showed public views of China and Russia have slipped in the past year. Of those polled, 39 per cent held positive views of China, a drop of six points. Forty per cent held a negative view.

When asked about Russia, respondents expressing negative views jumped eight points to 42 per cent while only 30 per cent said they had positive views of the country.

"This poll shows that people are paying attention to how countries operate and the way in which they operate gets judged," Miller said.

"In the case of China and Russia that judgment is getting increasingly negative."

The poll showed improvements in the way Canada, Egypt, Ghana, India, Italy and Japan viewed the U.S. Still, 12 countries had predominantly negative views compared to six with predominately positive views.

"In the case of the United States, there is a measure of recovery of less negative views towards the United States, which could be called the Obama effect," Miller said.

"But it's modest. They're basically back to the levels when we first monitored this back in 2005, which was still predominately negative."

As was the case in 2008, Iran, Israel and Pakistan were the three countries rated most negatively. The largest number of countries -- 19 out of 21 -- gave Israel negative ratings, with the exception of the U.S. and Russia.

In the U.S., more viewed Israel in a positive way and in Russia the opinions were divided. Researchers note that most polling was taken before the conflict in Gaza.
                Whatt??? This is odd. I know most Canadians like Turkey. Russia, I understand, we've destroyed their hockey teams numerous times. :)):))

But Turkey? PSSSHTTTT Kerem!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                  Whatt??? This is odd. I know most Canadians like Turkey. Russia, I understand, we've destroyed their hockey teams numerous times. :)):))

But Turkey? PSSSHTTTT Kerem!!
                  I love Turkey. Smother it in gravy and how can you go wrong. As for the Russians, they played hockey like turkeys that past couple of tournaments.:))

Comment

I wish all rivalries could be fought out in the sport competitions.
                    Anyway, you have to admit, Russians have their moments too. And when more of their good players stay home and do not run for the “big buck” abroad, they will put even a better fight on ice. ;)

As for the views about Russia and China – well, you can't please everyone. At least try to please yourself .

Comment

Working...
                    X