Battle of the Yalu / Battle of the Yellow Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of the Yalu / Battle of the Yellow Sea

In this 1894 battle, could the Beiyang fleet have won if they read the manual and did not fire the flagship Ding Yuan's main guns on an ahead bearing? Apparently, the Germans, when testing the battleship, noted that the Ding Yuan's design was flawed in that should the Ding Yuan fire its main guns on the ahead bearing, it would end up destroying the flying bridge. So the Chinese managed to make casualties of the fleet admiral and their command staff.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it? No one else seems to make a big fuss over the Ding Yuan destroying its own flying bridge in the opening salvo of the battle; maybe it was really such a minor event.

no they lost because of the wrong tactic, they did not form battleline in time.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

1894 is considered modern age ?

Comment

I guess we should move it, the battle was the end of the 19th century. And I'm not sure exactly how useful it is to have a commander who thinks it's a good idea to knock himself unconscious by firing his main guns on a counter-indicated position.

Comment

inst,

In this 1894 battle, could the Beiyang fleet have won if they read the manual and did not fire the flagship Ding Yuan's main guns on an ahead bearing? Apparently, the Germans, when testing the battleship, noted that the Ding Yuan's design was flawed in that should the Ding Yuan fire its main guns on the ahead bearing, it would end up destroying the flying bridge. So the Chinese managed to make casualties of the fleet admiral and their command staff.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it? No one else seems to make a big fuss over the Ding Yuan destroying its own flying bridge in the opening salvo of the battle; maybe it was really such a minor event.
          well, it did end up doing in chinese command and control, which contributed to them not forming the battleline (there was also allegations that the captain of the flagship ignored the admiral's orders). poor morale then spread when the Xi Yuan and Kwang Chia fled.

the fight was a lot closer than most people realize- foreign observers were surprised that the japanese ships didn't sink.
          Last edited by astralis; 17 Feb 09,, 19:16.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by bugs View Post
            1894 is considered modern age ?
            The early modern age ended in 1815, so anything later would be modern, or later modern if you so desire.

Comment

Working...
            X