Hiawatha Light Rail Transit Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiawatha Light Rail Transit Line

Length: 12 miles, connecting three of the Twin Cities most popular destinations - downtown Minneapolis, Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport and the Mall of America in Bloomington.

Opening Date: Partial service begins June 26, 2004 between the Warehouse District and Fort Snelling. Full service to the airport and Mall of America begins December 2004.

Milestones Achieved: Ground was broken January 17, 2001. First rail car delivered and undergoing testing. Airport rail tunnels mined. All track installed in Minneapolis. Relocated utilities in downtown.

Stations: 17 locations - see map.

Ridership: Riders are expected from downtown Minneapolis, University of Minnesota, 11 neighborhoods, Minnehaha Park, Minneapolis/St. Paul International airport, and Mall of America. Projected ridership is 19,300 per day in 2005 and 24,600 by year 2020.

Park & Ride Lots: At the Fort Snelling and 28th Avenue stations.

Light Rail Vehicles: 24 cars, each 94 feet long and manufactured by Bombardier. A train may consist of two cars coupled together. Each car has four doorways and can hold 66 seated passengers plus standing room for 180. Inside each car are four luggage racks and four bicycle hangers.

Accessibility: Fully ADA compliant stations and transit with four wheelchair locations per vehicle. Level boarding at each train door. Ramps and tactile edges at all stations. Elevators at stations on bridges.

Power: Electrically powered by wires 16 feet overhead.

Speed: Top speed is 55 mph with a general service speed of 40 mph and slower speed in downtown.
    Attached Files
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

I hate waiting in traffic for the thing, which doesn't happen often. I wish they'd run a line up here to Columbia Heights.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
      I hate waiting in traffic for the thing, which doesn't happen often. I wish they'd run a line up here to Columbia Heights.

-dale
      Didn't know you were from Minnesota. I used to live in Burnsville, Eagan, and Farmington and a small town 10 miles east of Northfield. Moved up north to attend college for two years. Taking a year off, transferring to the U of M next year.

Comment

I can't wait to try the light rail out. When I get back to MN it is a sure thing I will ride the rail. It is shame though that the automobile companies destroyed the trolley systems and stuff all around the country. Its taken this long to get light rail in Minnesota. We have a long way to go, but it sounds like a step in the right direction.

Comment

I think it could use further expansion.

My idea:
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X